Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri November 24th, 2017, 22:10 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue November 7th, 2017, 18:46 GMT 

Do I recall it well that somewhere here is list with dates and venues and so on? I can't find it at moment.
Thanks

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 18:25 GMT 

Bumping this - maybe it was discussed somewhere and I missed it, but would love to know if the DVD performances are duplicated from the box set CDs or if they are separate, and either way, when and where they are all from...

The performances on the DVD really are wonderful.

Thanks all.

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 18:27 GMT 
Titanium Member

Also, what's the running time including the extras? Planning on watching tonight.

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 18:32 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
Also, what's the running time including the extras? Planning on watching tonight.

The movie is 58 minutes, and there's about 28 minutes of extra performances on there.

Which equals 1 hour and 26 minutes if my maths serves me correctly! ;-)

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 18:33 GMT 
Titanium Member

Brilliant, thanks! :D

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 19:24 GMT 

So, it looks very likely then, that the DVD performance pieces are from

Buffalo, New York
Kleinhans Music Hall

30 April 1980

Don't know if all the performances are from then, but I would guess so.

It also looks at times in the DVD that they may even have re-performed the songs in the venue before or after the show, as some camera angles are just not possible to have cut together in the same moment of a particular song, and at times, in profile shots, it doesn't look like a live gig that's being filmed, almost looks like empty space in front of the band. This is interesting, and just speculation, of course, but wouldn't be out of the question if they were bothered enough to film this 'properly' at the time, they it was considered for release.

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 20:02 GMT 

I wish we had some hard details to confirm the location and dates of each track on the DVD. Unfortunately it does not appear to be available right now.

PostPosted: Wed November 8th, 2017, 21:38 GMT 
Titanium Member

The DVD is excellent. Not sure how necessary the sermons are, but the footage of When He Returns is stunning and Shot of Love is the coolest thing ever.

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 22:48 GMT 
Senior Moderator

The performance of Shot of Love is great. Really enjoyed the whole DVD, sermons and all.

PostPosted: Thu November 9th, 2017, 22:55 GMT 

It's almost worth the price alone (I did say almost,,,lol),for the video of him singing Abraham, Martin & John at the piano.

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 12:42 GMT 

motherwell wrote:
It's almost worth the price alone (I did say almost,,,lol),for the video of him singing Abraham, Martin & John at the piano.

Yes, this! I really enjoyed the movie and extras overall. I found the sermons slightly fake and irritating to begin with, but by the end they take on a strange power, even gravitas, which lends weight to whole Gospel era and what Dylan's intentions with it (and what the things he wanted us to think about as result of the era) were. Some of the filming and editing of the sermons is a little bit cheap and bad-TV in style, but Michael Shannon's performance is faultless I think. He's fantastic.

And - to your quoted point - I was strongly struck by the performance of Abraham, Martin and John, it came out of nowhere. There's something so simple and intimate and powerful about it. It's a beautiful rendition, and the way they perform it, at the piano, looking regularly into each other's eyes with (seemingly) a real connection and empathy actually brought tears to my eyes. That I did not expect.

Incredible stuff... but actually the DVD (and the rest of the set) is filled with incredible moments.

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 18:15 GMT 

I really tried to make out which of the clips from this Trouble No More DVD are identical or not idential with the old DVD from Toronto I have here (The Born Again Music).
I thought it would be easy to decide by just comparing the two footages.

When He Returns is clearly the same footage, so one can assume it's the from the same concerts.

Precious Angel, Ain't Gonna Go To Hell and Cover Down, Pray Through all have different footages and I believe these songs are from different concerts. It's not so easy to detect, because Bob's singing and phrasing is so close to it's counterparts I did not believe he could in the first place. But I think I heard narrow differences.

This is not the case with Slow Train. Footage is different, but I couldn't find any variation concerning the audio. So I think they assembled the video part twice from different persectives (at least on this song).

Then I gave it up.

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 18:30 GMT 

Just going by the clips that have been put out, it looks like there's a bit of trickery going on. There are shots that look like they were filmed by someone standing right beside Bob, immediately followed by a wide shot with no cameramen in sight. Perhaps the closeups were filmed during the soundcheck and then spliced together with footage from the show.

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 18:38 GMT 

TimEdgeworth1 wrote:
Just going by the clips that have been put out, it looks like there's a bit of trickery going on. There are shots that look like they were filmed by someone standing right beside Bob, immediately followed by a wide shot with no cameramen in sight. Perhaps the closeups were filmed during the soundcheck and then spliced together with footage from the show.

telezoom lense had already been invented in those days

h.egbert wrote:
I really tried to make out which of the clips from this Trouble No More DVD are identical or not idential with the old DVD from Toronto I have here (The Born Again Music).
I thought it would be easy to decide by just comparing the two footages.

When He Returns is clearly the same footage, so one can assume it's the from the same concerts.

Precious Angel, Ain't Gonna Go To Hell and Cover Down, Pray Through all have different footages and I believe these songs are from different concerts. It's not so easy to detect, because Bob's singing and phrasing is so close to it's counterparts I did not believe he could in the first place. But I think I heard narrow differences.

This is not the case with Slow Train. Footage is different, but I couldn't find any variation concerning the audio. So I think they assembled the video part twice from different persectives (at least on this song).

Then I gave it up.

Look at the shirt Bob is wearing! I only watched the DVD once, but I got the impression that he's wearing a different shirt.

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 18:39 GMT 

Anyone know where that clip of Blowing in the wind from 1980 is?
I seem to have seen that awesome clip about a month ago somewhere?

PostPosted: Fri November 10th, 2017, 19:53 GMT 

The promotional material released with the film before its debut indicated that the concert footage came from the Buffalo show I think May 1st (although April 30th might be a possibility) and an April, 1980 Toronto show that was not the April 20th, 1980 show (so, either April 17, 18, or 19) that is already available as a bootleg video. I would love to know which performance was from which show.

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 00:57 GMT 

Will finally be opening my copy of TNM this weekend and I'll be starting with the dvd. Sounds fantastic.

While its a big statement to have his own sermons excised, it is also pretty big statement by Bob to have these (or any) sermons included. Would have been much easier to just stick out concert footage and be done with it.

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 01:04 GMT 
Titanium Member

The Bard wrote:
Will finally be opening my copy of TNM this weekend and I'll be starting with the dvd. Sounds fantastic.

While its a big statement to have his own sermons excised, it is also pretty big statement by Bob to have these (or any) sermons included. Would have been much easier to just stick out concert footage and be done with it.

I don't think they're 'bob's sermons' by any means, but they do follow the general themes of his religious songs.

PostPosted: Sat November 11th, 2017, 01:28 GMT 

Any chance of buying the dvd alone or renting it?

PostPosted: Mon November 13th, 2017, 15:56 GMT 

I finally had the time to watch this time. The concert performances are just great! To hear these songs getting played live is one thing, but to see Bob singing them live on stage is simply a completly different level.
I'm not convinced about the sermon bits. What is the purpose of them? They have nothing to do with the songs. I always had the impression that an actor would preach some of the sermons Bob did on that tour, some sort of impersonation.
If they left out the sermon part and included a few more concert clips, I would be a much happier customer.

PostPosted: Mon November 13th, 2017, 16:39 GMT 

WrittenInMySoul wrote:
I finally had the time to watch this time. The concert performances are just great! To hear these songs getting played live is one thing, but to see Bob singing them live on stage is simply a completly different level.
I'm not convinced about the sermon bits. What is the purpose of them? They have nothing to do with the songs. I always had the impression that an actor would preach some of the sermons Bob did on that tour, some sort of impersonation.
If they left out the sermon part and included a few more concert clips, I would be a much happier customer.

Agreed!
You can't resist Bob's performances, when you watch the concert - even if you aren't a believer.
But who knows: Perhaps the magic would diminish and my interest would vane, if the concert would last twice as much time.

PostPosted: Tue November 14th, 2017, 21:00 GMT 

h.egbert wrote:
Do I recall it well that somewhere here is list with dates and venues and so on? I can't find it at moment.

* Shot of Love is from Avignon 1981 according to http://bobdylan.com/news/bob-dylan-trou ... ovember-3/
* Jesus Met the Woman at the Well and Abraham, Martin & John are rehersals / exclusive to the film.

The remaining songs are presumably from Toronto 19th and/or 20th of April, and/or Buffalo 30th of April and/or 1st of May (all 1980) as they were the filmed concerts according to http://www.tvtalkin.esy.es/bobdylan/1980-1983.htm

But there is no definite info from Jennifer Lebeau or Sony which songs are from what dates, unfortunately. I hope the details will be available at some point (sooner rather than later).

PostPosted: Tue November 14th, 2017, 21:59 GMT 

henningk wrote:
h.egbert wrote:
The remaining songs are presumably from Toronto 19th and/or 20th of April, and/or Buffalo 30th of April and/or 1st of May (all 1980) as they were the filmed concerts according to http://www.tvtalkin.esy.es/bobdylan/1980-1983.htm.

The promotional material accompanying the theater debut of Trouble No More in NYC indicated that the footage was from a Toronto show other than April 20th. I don't know if any other shows were filmed other than the 19th, but if the 19th and 20th was it, then that would mean that the Toronto performances are from April 19th.

PostPosted: Tue November 14th, 2017, 22:13 GMT 

As of the moment, I haven't seen a definitive listing of date/locations for the film. My money would be on one or both of the Buffalo shows for a significant portion.

In the main Trouble No More discussion, dpam attended the NYC showing of the film and reported that (apparently) Jennifer LeBeau indicated "7-8 Songs from mostly Buffalo (if I understood her correctly). Sounds like they know Toronto is out (in less than perfect quality) and wanted to use rarer stuff."

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=91567&start=525

PostPosted: Wed November 15th, 2017, 07:13 GMT 

So we don't know what show the DVD is from? Is the Dylan camp keeping shtum?