Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed May 23rd, 2018, 01:03 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed January 17th, 2018, 22:34 GMT 

trovahead wrote:
Percy's Song - Carnegie Hall. Nice picking and harp solo!

Great choice great concert!
boots of Spanish leather another fantastic performance from Carnegie Hall
Tomorrow is a long time from Town Hall 63 is outstanding
prefer Rolling Stone around late 65.& 1974 than the 66 versions.

PostPosted: Wed January 17th, 2018, 22:42 GMT 

Just remembered another performance that barely gets a mention
Ballad of A Thin Man from Toronto 74.A spellbinding vocal (slower than the Before the Flood version)
best live version of the song I have heard. well worth tracking down

PostPosted: Sun January 21st, 2018, 17:07 GMT 

summerteeth wrote:
Tim Finnegan wrote:
Not sure if "Highlands" from Santa Cruz has been mentioned. Probably not my all time favorite but it's up there. I'm a big Hard Rain guy, so maybe something from that album/tour for me.

Funny you should bring this up. I was cleaning up my iTunes library and discovered I had three separate live versions of Highlands. One was the Santa Cruz version, which ultimately appeared on an official release called Live & Rare. I listened to it -- excellent -- but there's a version from Glasgow, 09-17-00, that is better in every way, including sound quality. Dylan is loose, wry, and singing with attitude the way the song should be sung.

I also stumbled across something else that was recorded at that same Santa Cruz show. If you're familiar with Masked & Anonymous, you'll remember that the film closes with Dylan speaking over a melody that sounds a lot like Angelina. When he finishes his brief soliloquy, the music blends in to the opening chords of Blowin' in the Wind from Santa Cruz. It's a fantastic version, but for some strange reason the filmmaker decided to edit out 45 seconds of the harmonica solo at the end, so here is what I did:

Back when I had much more time on my hands, I ripped the music from the DVD, and spliced the harmonica solo back in from the flawless Santa Cruz audience tape (03-16-00). Bob's cryptic soliloquy, the sound effects of Bob getting on the bus and the bus pulling away, the Angelina melody in the background, all followed by the outstanding version of BITW makes for one of my favorite listening experiences.

I agree, the Glasgow version is amazing, and maybe even better than Santa Cruz. Both epic versions. Good idea what you did with Blowin' In The Wind there. I don't usually care for this one live but that is a great performance. I think he was on top of his game around that time.