Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun October 22nd, 2017, 06:32 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun March 26th, 2017, 05:17 GMT 

New release of six images from The Beaten Path series due for 25th April. Smaller edition size this time (less than the usual 295 but don't know the actual number). To be silkscreen printed.

PostPosted: Sun March 26th, 2017, 07:01 GMT 

If they are sold in Stockholm while Bob is in the same room.... and one of them falls down and makes a sound, does that count as the Nobel lecture?

PostPosted: Sun March 26th, 2017, 13:14 GMT 

I'm not very familiar with the different forms of printing. But with the more limited number--along, perhaps, with the silkscreen printing--I'm guessing that these will be much more expensive than usual. Any information on pricing?....grave

PostPosted: Thu March 30th, 2017, 04:41 GMT 

An update: Edition limited to 195 per print as opposed to the usual 295. 3 of the 6 images are variants on previously released Beaten Path images: Brooklyn Heights, Endless Highway and Manhattan Bridge. The other 3 are new releases and include New York Skyline. Priced at £9950 unframed.

PostPosted: Thu March 30th, 2017, 09:06 GMT 

Link to Bob Dylan the Silksceens Collection

https://www.castlegalleries.com/brochur ... rm=website

PostPosted: Thu March 30th, 2017, 20:17 GMT 

Interesting to see that Dylan changed the colors in at least two of these images, making Brooklyn Heights a winter scene and Manhattan Bridge a night scene. It's especially odd, as the description of the silkscreen process talks about the rigorous effort to match the colors to the original. Either there were originals of these winter/night images not shown in the book, or he didn't attempt to match the original. I'm surprised the prices aren't higher for the more limited release, large sizes, and the process more favored by many artists/collectors....grave

PostPosted: Sat April 22nd, 2017, 09:58 GMT 
Promethium Member

derryman1 wrote:
Link to Bob Dylan the Silksceens Collection

https://www.castlegalleries.com/brochur ... rm=website

Is there a 'hard' version of this brochure?

PostPosted: Sun April 23rd, 2017, 13:00 GMT 

I haven't seen one for sale on the website; not sure if there are hard copies at the gallery showings.....grave

PostPosted: Sun April 23rd, 2017, 13:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

Well, I found they exist, but not yet how to get one...

PostPosted: Thu May 11th, 2017, 00:48 GMT 

In addition to the Beaten Path silkscreen print collection the current Dylan exhibition at the Halcyon Gallery in London also includes new Beaten Path paintings in acrylic paint on canvas and watercolors on paper (they are shown in the upstairs room). The gallery staff said that these new paintings were created by Dylan after the exhibition in November of last year ("he just kept working"). Like many of the original "Beaten Path" paintings, most of these new images seem to be based on original photographs taken by Dylan with the equipment he describes in the "Beaten Path" book ("I put a 58-mm 0.43x wide-angle conversion lens onto a used Nikon D3300 Af-p"). The wide-angle lens would result in the enhanced perspective you see in the paintings. Some of the new paintings seem to be based on historic photographs (cars and people's clothes have a 1940s/1950s look and the images do not have the enhanced perspective).

Furthermore there is a new Gangster Doors work: Three old car doors (rust-covered, smashed-in and filled with bullet holes) are attached to a metal pole (approx. 10 feet high). Three metal shields with information (in relief) about Al Capone, Machine Gun Kelly and John Dillinger are attached to the pole as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 11th, 2017, 14:31 GMT 

Thanks for that extra info! If anyone gets a chance to see these new works, I'm wondering whether they might include the versions of Manhattan Bridge and Brooklyn Heights that are used for the silkscreen images. Neither of those versions show up in the original catalogue of images, so I wonder if he then created them as originals before choosing them for the silkscreens....grave