Expecting Rain
http://www.expectingrain.com/discussions/

Books Upon His Shelf - A Bob Dylan reading list
http://www.expectingrain.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=74489
Page 3 of 3

Author:  Giada [ Wed August 21st, 2013, 03:03 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Books Upon His Shelf - A Bob Dylan reading list

Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant (talked about them in the Flanagan interview from '09)

Author:  Johanna Parker [ Mon August 26th, 2013, 20:53 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Books Upon His Shelf - A Bob Dylan reading list

House Of Earth, the "lost" novel by Woody Guthrie, which was published this year. Dylan and Jeff Rosen are listed on the acknowledgement page as providing "smart feedback" after reading the manuscript.

Author:  Johanna Parker [ Sat January 4th, 2014, 10:21 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Books Upon His Shelf - A Bob Dylan reading list

http://www.daysofthecrazy-wild.com/ten-books-bob-dylan-digs/

Author:  oldmanemu [ Sun January 5th, 2014, 00:32 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Books Upon His Shelf - A Bob Dylan reading list

Johanna Parker wrote:
House Of Earth, the "lost" novel by Woody Guthrie, which was published this year. Dylan and Jeff Rosen are listed on the acknowledgement page as providing "smart feedback" after reading the manuscript.

I recently bought that book.

Author:  Hanging Judge [ Sun January 5th, 2014, 02:46 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Books Upon His Shelf - A Bob Dylan reading list

Whilst researching for my own, soon to be published, definitive opus on the man behind the radio hour, "Can You Cook and Sow? Make Flowers Grow - Bob Dylan and the W.I.", I came upon an interesting fact (pg.23, paragraph 3.) that Bob was reading "Walking in the Cotswolds." by Pauline Kearny (slowtraveluk&ireland). He was looking to find an answer to the age old question that he had posed. "How many roads must a man walk down?2

Author:  oldmanemu [ Sun January 5th, 2014, 11:55 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Books Upon His Shelf - A Bob Dylan reading list

Hanging Judge wrote:
Whilst researching for my own, soon to be published, definitive opus on the man behind the radio hour, "Can You Cook and Sow? Make Flowers Grow - Bob Dylan and the W.I.", I came upon an interesting fact (pg.23, paragraph 3.) that Bob was reading "Walking in the Cotswolds." by Pauline Kearny (slowtraveluk&ireland). He was looking to find an answer to the age old question that he had posed. "How many roads must a man walk down?2

As Homer Simpson stated it is 7.

Author:  Johanna Parker [ Mon January 6th, 2014, 12:07 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Books Upon His Shelf - A Bob Dylan reading list

http://www.daysofthecrazy-wild.com/books-bob-dylan-digs-part-two/

Author:  Johanna Parker [ Mon January 6th, 2014, 12:09 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Books Upon His Shelf - A Bob Dylan reading list

http://www.bobdylan.com/us/books/interest

Author:  Dylaned [ Tue February 11th, 2014, 15:19 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Books Upon His Shelf - A Bob Dylan reading list

Has anyone read this book and can tell me if it is any good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Village-Boh ... trausbaugh


(I hope it's the right topic, it's a sort of Dylan-related book, anyway.)

Author:  stephenoxford [ Mon May 5th, 2014, 12:13 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Books Upon His Shelf - A Bob Dylan reading list

Woo Hoo.. Look what I got on ebay.

Image

Author:  Johanna Parker [ Mon May 5th, 2014, 13:09 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Books Upon His Shelf - A Bob Dylan reading list

^
Nice one. :)

Here's supposed to be a list of books Dylan read (and in some cases quoted from), but never mind.

Author:  oldmanemu [ Mon June 9th, 2014, 00:10 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Books Upon His Shelf - A Bob Dylan reading list

Johanna Parker wrote:
^
Nice one. :)

Here's supposed to be a list of books Dylan read (and in some cases quoted from), but never mind.

nice list :D

Author:  Nena [ Tue June 10th, 2014, 17:17 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Books Upon His Shelf - A Bob Dylan reading list

I'm sure Dylan is well-read. I don't think he would write as well as he does if he wasn't. Also, as eclectic as he is with everything, I very much doubt he stuck himself with only one kind of books.
However, some of the references in his songs might be just name-dropping: for example, "like Verlaine and Rimbaud's" on "You're Gonna Make me Lonesome When You Go", could be merely because their love affair is well known, and not because he read either of them. I would understand if he hasn't... I personally think I wouldn't enjoy their poetry that much if all that was available to me was a translation.

Author:  Johanna Parker [ Tue June 10th, 2014, 17:33 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Books Upon His Shelf - A Bob Dylan reading list

There's a very knowledgable post here on Bob reading Verlaine:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=80276#p1483781

Author:  Nena [ Tue June 10th, 2014, 20:55 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Books Upon His Shelf - A Bob Dylan reading list

Johanna Parker wrote:
There's a very knowledgable post here on Bob reading Verlaine:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=80276#p1483781


Thanks Johanna ;)

Author:  Johanna Parker [ Thu June 12th, 2014, 08:21 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Books Upon His Shelf - A Bob Dylan reading list

http://www.daysofthecrazy-wild.com/ten-books-bob-dylan-digs/

Author:  Anr Bjotk [ Sat March 28th, 2015, 17:48 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Books Upon His Shelf - A Bob Dylan reading list

I guess "Confessions of a Yakuza" is a fairly obvious one... And something by Byron.

(I just realized, in the SongTalk interview, Dylan wrongly attributes a Shelley poem to Byron... Has hell frozen over?...)

Author:  stjulienlepauvre [ Sat April 25th, 2015, 06:52 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Books Upon His Shelf - A Bob Dylan reading list

smoke wrote:
I'll tell you one thing, if I'd read 1/4 of the library books visitors might have seen on my coffee table over the years I'd be the smartest man in America. As it stands I usually only finish the Dylan books...so back to Bob:


Funny as hell... :D

Author:  stjulienlepauvre [ Sat April 25th, 2015, 07:08 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Books Upon His Shelf - A Bob Dylan reading list

TheGunfighter wrote:
I guess what emu is insinuating is that whatever Dylan has said about what he has or hasn't read should be taken with a grain of salt at best, but in the end, if we didn't believe his words, this thread would be worthless in the first place. Of course we won't know for sure which one of his autobiographies he really has or hasn't read. I used interviews as source and in quite a few of them he has said that he has ONLY read Robert Shelton's. But I also know that he reportedly told Scaduto that he "liked his book".


Since you're talking about Dylan talking, it's not clear which book Dylan liked or if he read said book.

Author:  oldmanemu [ Sun April 26th, 2015, 11:57 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Books Upon His Shelf - A Bob Dylan reading list

stjulienlepauvre wrote:
TheGunfighter wrote:
I guess what emu is insinuating is that whatever Dylan has said about what he has or hasn't read should be taken with a grain of salt at best, but in the end, if we didn't believe his words, this thread would be worthless in the first place. Of course we won't know for sure which one of his autobiographies he really has or hasn't read. I used interviews as source and in quite a few of them he has said that he has ONLY read Robert Shelton's. But I also know that he reportedly told Scaduto that he "liked his book".


Since you're talking about Dylan talking, it's not clear which book Dylan liked or if he read said book.

I am not insinuating anything!

Author:  Ghost Of Lectricity [ Sat May 2nd, 2015, 04:18 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Books Upon His Shelf - A Bob Dylan reading list

I'll bet Dylan's read Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me by Richard Farina.

Author:  homerthes [ Sun June 21st, 2015, 14:07 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Books Upon His Shelf - A Bob Dylan reading list

He read Charles Frazier's Cold Mountain and Larry Brown's Father and Son in 1997 (the year both came out.) The former's imagery and ambience can be felt, (or at least I feel it), in certain parts of TOOM and Cross the Green Mountain.

He mentioned reading both in a chat during a break in an interview. The comments did not form part of the interview itself. As I was a tad obsessive in those days, I picked up on the comments and promptly read both books. Well, I'd have to have been obsessive to have known about the remarks in the first place, I guess.

Author:  scottw [ Mon June 22nd, 2015, 03:31 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Books Upon His Shelf - A Bob Dylan reading list

homerthes wrote:
He read Charles Frazier's Cold Mountain


https://twitter.com/scottwarmuth1/statu ... 8880126977

Author:  homerthes [ Mon June 22nd, 2015, 15:38 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Books Upon His Shelf - A Bob Dylan reading list

scottw wrote:
homerthes wrote:
He read Charles Frazier's Cold Mountain


https://twitter.com/scottwarmuth1/statu ... 8880126977



Cheers, Scott, - I thought I had mentioned that he had read Frazier and Brown's books in Troubadour but that bit must have been cut, or I wrote about it somewhere else and just 'disremember' where....

Author:  WayWrongEricaJong [ Wed March 29th, 2017, 04:21 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Books Upon His Shelf - A Bob Dylan reading list

She says "You don't read women authors do ya?"
At least that's what I think I hear her say
Well I say "How would you know, and what would it matter anyway?"
Well she says "Ya just don't seem like ya do"
I said "You're way wrong"
She says "Which ones have you read then?", I say "Read Erica Jong"
("Highlands")

He knows of it. I'll bet he's read it. But how has he read it ? There's a knowingness here, to my ears, confirmed, I think, by the not quite suppressed laugh in Bob's voice as he sings this. Fear of Flying" is a book that could be read "straight," in terms of a feminist novel of development, and manifesto for freedom of identity, but it could be read, alternatively or simultaneously, for its potentially salacious interest to the prurient. Bob's playing with both possibilities, to hilarious effect, in my hearing of this hypnotic lyric.

Page 3 of 3 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/