Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat October 21st, 2017, 19:42 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Tue February 5th, 2013, 22:58 GMT 

scottw wrote:
The painting "A Man Looks at Cuban Sugar" has been left out of the previews above, perhaps due to its explicit nature.

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/aZmJ11cb ... duwda8Zucs

Surely the painting is called 'Cuban Sugar' and the photo is of a man looking at it? Does this matter? (Could the man looking at the painting be the man in the painting? Weird.)

PostPosted: Tue February 5th, 2013, 23:26 GMT 

Milkcow wrote:
onemorecup wrote:
Um...and how about this one eh? http://www.repubblica.it/images/2013/02 ... e34cf9.jpg

Wonder what it's called.

Perhaps "Muff Diving"

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue February 5th, 2013, 23:32 GMT 
Promethium Member

raging_glory wrote:
He's been painting these types of subjects at least since the eighties. It's nothing new.

what painting have you seen of a guy fu cking a chick up the ass from the 80s? just wondering...
or of someone pulling on someone else's nipples
or of someone eating out someone else/ muff diving... please do share!!! I'd love to see them!!!

and I mean paintings done by bob... and ones released publicly...

PostPosted: Tue February 5th, 2013, 23:36 GMT 

i guess i just dont understand, its a crazy world- when i look at most of these paintings, i just feel sad

PostPosted: Tue February 5th, 2013, 23:42 GMT 
Promethium Member

ifitwastruetennessee wrote:
i guess i just dont understand, its a crazy world- when i look at most of these paintings, i just feel sad

this is interesting... why do you feel sad when you look at them... there are a myriad of topics

so which ones make you sad?

PostPosted: Wed February 6th, 2013, 03:46 GMT 

The courtyards and buildings are colorful and and warm, like how I like to think of Bob. :)

The rest of the exhibit seems to show nobleness of purpose, and sort of the spiritual side, for the most part, in the depictions of people of color, but a chained to the earth/ base element in the others.

It is interesting and intriguing to think of the shocking ones being painted by someone I like so much...which leads to wondering about the how (the ideas were conceived?) and the where (were the settings of the photos?) and the why(would an artist-this particular artist who I like so much -want to paint something like those particular scenes?) which makes me feel kind of bad about myself for thinking about it.

I wonder if Bob chose the contents of the exhibit, or it was told to him that someone official had viewed a number of his works, and had asked for the ones that are now being displayed. I don't know how it is decided what will be in a particular "set", but it does seem like a very important consideration as it relates to a period of time. February 2013, for instance.

PostPosted: Wed February 6th, 2013, 07:21 GMT 
Promethium Member

Well they said most of the paintings were from pictures... Like the Asia series with the lady in the buff spread eagle with the big bush... Remember that one?

PostPosted: Wed February 6th, 2013, 07:49 GMT 

ifitwastruetennessee wrote:

Me too. They make me sad, because there is utter stasis and isolation in them, there is no joy, no love - not in the explicit ones too - and they definitely come from a state of mind I'm very happy not to be in. That does not mean that Dylan is in that state of mind, but at least he is sufficiently attracted to it to spend many hours painting it.

Nice, that the exhibition ends with the colourful sceenes of houses and courtyards. And I must say, the one with the man sitting on the left from where your look gets drawn to three couples walking off and away I really, really like. It does speak to me.

The explicit ones remind me of certain books by aging writers, which have already brought me to the opinion that physical love is better dealt with when young, because in age only the longing for the longing seems to remain. In fact the male part in the paintings is not at all connecting to the woman, but using her to gain pleasure by observing himself as sexual being.

PostPosted: Wed February 6th, 2013, 09:29 GMT 

Good post, Mutabor, that corresponds to some of the thoughts I have had about Dylan's paintings. He does seem to be fascinated by the 'seamy' side of life, but some of these images end up looking like corny old movie posters or the cover of 'Knocked Out Loaded', caricatures of low life as he imagines it or presents second-hand from photographs or posed scenes. Having said that, I do like some of his paintings but would only want the occasional one in my home! I prefer the original 'Drawn Blank' series to most of his more recent efforts and am currently fighting the temptation to buy a print of 'Amagansett'.

PostPosted: Wed February 6th, 2013, 11:50 GMT 
Promethium Member

Re. isolation in his pictures, I don't remember where I read it, but someone who knew him at the time said that on tour in the early '80s, Bob would often to sketches of his hotel rooms, and a lot of the sketches were supposedly quite similar to each other - no people, just an empty chair, empty bed, etc.

Here's a quote from Bob re the current exhibition:
Quote:
I paint for people - said Bob Dylan - almost like a tailor makes a suit for someone.

What is he saying really? He paints so a certain group of people will enjoy his work, or so certain people will be interested in buying it?

http://translate.google.de/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpaoblog.net%2F2013%2F02%2F06%2Farte-10%2F

Last edited by Johanna Parker on Wed February 6th, 2013, 11:53 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed February 6th, 2013, 11:53 GMT 
Promethium Member

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:
Great paintings, this is getting better and better, is there a catalog for this exhibition?

I'd be surprised if one wasn't coming out in the near future, or is already available from the museum. I would have written in to ask, but the museum doesn't seem to have it's own website, just part of the city website and no direct contact details I could make out.

PostPosted: Wed February 6th, 2013, 12:29 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
Re. isolation in his pictures, I don't remember where I read it, but someone who knew him at the time said that on tour in the early '80s, Bob would often to sketches of his hotel rooms, and a lot of the sketches were supposedly quite similar to each other - no people, just an empty chair, empty bed, etc.

Quote:
I paint for people - said Bob Dylan - almost like a tailor makes a suit for someone.

What is he saying really? He paints so a certain group of people will enjoy his work, or so certain people will be interested in buying it?

http://translate.google.de/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpaoblog.net%2F2013%2F02%2F06%2Farte-10%2F

Well sketches of inanimate objects are a good way to teach the eye and the hand, and they don't move about much.

I remember having read or heard somewhere (in italian) that Bob said he paints for people, not for the critics, and that is why he wanted the exibition be for free, so that everybody could see it. He wanted to know whether the visitors liked the paintings.
As for the tailor, he also said that his songwriting is a job like electrician or historian etc. I've got a feeling that he wants people to think that his art is nothing personal, just an objective way of expressing his talents. While at the same time he wants to bond with the "ordinary person", like you and me, but it's ok if they are a bit in love with him and therefore less likely to judge objectively.

Ah, he has so many facets, he is indeed round!

PostPosted: Wed February 6th, 2013, 12:30 GMT 

PostPosted: Wed February 6th, 2013, 13:28 GMT 
Mercury Member

Interesting posts. I enjoy the quote about Bob painting for the people. I believe most (or a lot) of Bob's art; song or visual art, is as an observer. He writes or paints what he sees going on in the world around him. I suppose this new batch may be a reflection of the world of New Orleans.

PostPosted: Wed February 6th, 2013, 13:31 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
Quote:

That quote is from the Elderfield interview that is in the Asia Series catalog. Dylan talks a lot about film in that interview and there I believe he is making a reference to Edward G. Robinson as Johnny Rocco in a key scene from Key Largo. "Seeing The Real You At Last" from Empire Burlesque includes lines from Robinson's dialogue. He returns to it here.

Johnny Rocco: How many of those guys in office owe everything to me? I made them. I made them, just like a tailor makes a suit of clothes. I take a nobody, teach him what to say, get his name in the papers. I pay for his campaign expenses. Dish out a lot of groceries and coal. Get my boys to bring the voters out. Then count the votes again till they added up right, and he was elected. Then what happened? Did he remember when the going got tough? When the heat was on? No, he didn't want to. All he wanted was to save his own dirty neck.

Check out the scene here: http://youtu.be/ACTkVM6t_bo

PostPosted: Wed February 6th, 2013, 13:32 GMT 
Promethium Member

^Alright, I didn't read that interview in a while, I thought it was from the latest interview. Ah, the trappings of Google translate.

PostPosted: Wed February 6th, 2013, 13:37 GMT 
Mercury Member

In that context, maybe he means he paints to give the dylanologists a life. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed February 6th, 2013, 13:38 GMT 
Promethium Member

raging_glory wrote:
In that context, maybe he means he paints to give the dylanologists a life. :wink:

Thanks, Bob! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed February 6th, 2013, 15:31 GMT 
Promethium Member

Article in English, quotes Chronicles:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/02/06/bob-dylans-new-orleans-se_n_2629294.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

PostPosted: Wed February 6th, 2013, 15:33 GMT 
Titanium Member

raging_glory wrote:

in that context id say Bob would have HIGH HOPES. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed February 6th, 2013, 15:43 GMT 
Promethium Member

An interview with the curator (site might have some pop-ups):

http://translate.google.de/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tgcom24.mediaset.it%2Fcultura%2Farticoli%2F1080505%2Fbob-dylan-il-mito-sceglie-milano-per-esporre-le-sue-ultime-opere.shtml

....and I just wanted to say sometimes I love Google translations:
Quote:
he wanted to know if the paintings had liked the people who had set up the exhibition.

Or maybe Bob really said that? :?

PostPosted: Wed February 6th, 2013, 15:53 GMT 
Titanium Member

Beautiful set of paintings by Bob. I can see with my one good eye that hes developed his own individual instantly recognizable style LOL its a matter of time before he has his own art his own school with folks that follow his style.. OUTSTANDING. :D

PostPosted: Wed February 6th, 2013, 16:24 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
An interview with the curator (site might have some pop-ups):

http://translate.google.de/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tgcom24.mediaset.it%2Fcultura%2Farticoli%2F1080505%2Fbob-dylan-il-mito-sceglie-milano-per-esporre-le-sue-ultime-opere.shtml

....and I just wanted to say sometimes I love Google translations:
Quote:
he wanted to know if the paintings had liked the people who had set up the exhibition.

Or maybe Bob really said that? :?

Mamma mia! That's a good one! Also the curator actually said that he is judged more harshly because he is Bob Dylan, some people then just lightly call him a bad painter, but he thinks there are a lot of other artists that get good prices at auctions which, in his opinion are no better than Dylan.

That comes out as: "Bob Dylan pays the fact that when Bob Dylan is a painter because everyone found them much more severely, I'm pretty happy to say that it is a bad painter."

:shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed February 6th, 2013, 16:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

I'll let you know if the paintings liked me when I get back. If they tell me. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed February 6th, 2013, 16:30 GMT 

Well I'll try my best to make them like me. I'll dress up and will not find them severely :D !

Shame, I can't go to see Renaldo & Clara, already have an appointment that can't be changed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next