Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 24th, 2017, 11:33 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon December 10th, 2012, 13:44 GMT 

Has this already been mentioned in this long thread? I googled Mr Prince to read about him and his work, and saw this related thing in an article:

The Art World
The Joker
Richard Prince at the Guggenheim.
by Peter Schjeldahl October 15, 2007

In 1985, an art magazine, ZG, published an interview with him, conducted in 1967 by J. G. Ballard, the English writer of dire fantasy, when Prince was eighteen years old and under detention in London for want of a valid passport. The interview, in which Prince describes his father as a diabolical manipulator of minds, was a lively hoax. Also in the eighties, Prince collaborated with the late Colin de Land, an eccentric dealer, to make the work and shepherd the career of one John Dogg, a fashionable and, it later turned out, nonexistent sculptor. Prince’s devotion to the put-on is among his bona fides in a generation—that of punk, deconstruction, and David Letterman—addicted to vertiginous irony: in-jokes with nothing in them. An appropriate bonus of the catalogue is a series of interviews about Prince, by the hipster’s hipster Glenn O’Brien, with leading technicians of waggery: ad and magazine people, cartoon editors (including Robert Mankoff, of The New Yorker), a car designer, the Hells Angel Sonny Barger, John Waters, and Phyllis Diller.

From this page:
http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/a ... schjeldahl

Also, maybe there's an angry outsourced Asian worker(s) in the mix ::S-napp::and this is a fix. jk

PostPosted: Mon December 10th, 2012, 13:49 GMT 
Titanium Member

Belle Laugh wrote:
Has this already been mentioned in this long thread? I googled Mr Prince to read about him and his work, and saw this related thing in an article:

The Art World
The Joker
Richard Prince at the Guggenheim.
by Peter Schjeldahl October 15, 2007

In 1985, an art magazine, ZG, published an interview with him, conducted in 1967 by J. G. Ballard, the English writer of dire fantasy, when Prince was eighteen years old and under detention in London for want of a valid passport. The interview, in which Prince describes his father as a diabolical manipulator of minds, was a lively hoax. Also in the eighties, Prince collaborated with the late Colin de Land, an eccentric dealer, to make the work and shepherd the career of one John Dogg, a fashionable and, it later turned out, nonexistent sculptor. Prince’s devotion to the put-on is among his bona fides in a generation—that of punk, deconstruction, and David Letterman—addicted to vertiginous irony: in-jokes with nothing in them. An appropriate bonus of the catalogue is a series of interviews about Prince, by the hipster’s hipster Glenn O’Brien, with leading technicians of waggery: ad and magazine people, cartoon editors (including Robert Mankoff, of The New Yorker), a car designer, the Hells Angel Sonny Barger, John Waters, and Phyllis Diller.

From this page:
http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/a ... schjeldahl

Also, maybe there's an angry outsourced Asian worker(s) in the mix ::S-napp::and this is a fix. jk

:shock:

PostPosted: Mon December 10th, 2012, 14:04 GMT 
Mercury Member

PostPosted: Mon December 10th, 2012, 14:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

raging_glory wrote:

PostPosted: Mon December 10th, 2012, 14:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

If I find out that "Bob Dylan" is a sneakily appropriated piece of postmodern art by Richard Prince I'll be furious.

PostPosted: Mon December 10th, 2012, 14:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

Well, this is now one more giant conspiracy that nobody is ever going to get to the bottom of........

grassy knoll

MKUltra

demise of Brian Jones

PostPosted: Mon December 10th, 2012, 15:37 GMT 
Titanium Member

Hey Rolling Stone magazine! I know you plan to badger Dylan for half a page over the definition of "landslide" in the next interview... BUT if you must hound him on a topic you know he won't give a straight answer on, might I suggest this one instead?

PostPosted: Mon December 10th, 2012, 16:44 GMT 

His 'artwork' is really lame. If he wasn't Bob Dylan, etc. I don't think he should stop doing it, let him do whatever pleases him, but it says nothing to me. It looks like a hobby that got famous because he is...

PostPosted: Mon December 10th, 2012, 16:57 GMT 
Promethium Member

:roll:
Famous people get more attention paid to them. Deal with it.

PostPosted: Mon December 10th, 2012, 17:41 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Train-I-Ride wrote:
I'm Stark Naked wrote:
His 'artwork' is really lame. If he wasn't Bob Dylan, etc. I don't think he should stop doing it, let him do whatever pleases him, but it says nothing to me. It looks like a hobby that got famous because he is...

Yeah, but if you can't enjoy the 'art', at least you can enjoy the conspiracy theories. That's what's happening here. Not even our own BD Defence League can be bothered to say that they enjoy it or argue that it is good. Far better to move swiftly on and speculate as to how it was produced, and who produced it. Whatever the answer, Dylan trading on his name now far outstrips trading on his ability.

If I'm part of that "Defence League", I've already stated a couple of times that I like this series.

PostPosted: Mon December 10th, 2012, 17:44 GMT 

This is an artwork by Fred Bals. Any similarity to a book is coincidental and not intended by the artist.” © Fred Bals.

PostPosted: Mon December 10th, 2012, 18:19 GMT 

I'm no art expert by any means but at least some of the earlier paintings had an amateurish charm about them.
Conspiracy or not this latest series is crap. I suppose if people are happy to part with their money for them.....

PostPosted: Mon December 10th, 2012, 20:14 GMT 

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:

If I'm part of that "Defence League", I've already stated a couple of times that I like this series.

I'm with you. I love this series in concept, haven't seen more than a couple so far, but love the idea.

PostPosted: Mon December 10th, 2012, 20:19 GMT 

Belle Laugh wrote:
Prince’s devotion to the put-on is among his bona fides in a generation—that of punk, deconstruction, and David Letterman—addicted to vertiginous irony: in-jokes with nothing in them. An appropriate bonus of the catalogue is a series of interviews about Prince, by the hipster’s hipster Glenn O’Brien, with leading technicians of waggery: ad and magazine people, cartoon editors (including Robert Mankoff, of The New Yorker), a car designer, the Hells Angel Sonny Barger, John Waters, and Phyllis Diller. :shock:

oh man

PostPosted: Mon December 10th, 2012, 20:23 GMT 

goombay wrote:
LOL i would love to own a couple of Bob originals, but the real and true art connoisseur are paying top price, which will only go higher.
:D

You're probably right, because what a wonderfully, seriously, bizarre set of circumstances, however everything plays out

From that other Rock "prophet"

Oh and while the king was looking down
The jester stole his thorny crown
The courtroom was adjourned
No verdict was returned

This fan loves every off the wall move Bob makes. Cake-Walkin' Daddy, you can do no wrong. :)

PostPosted: Mon December 10th, 2012, 20:35 GMT 

Would anyone like these latest offerings if they were by say, Tony Bennett?

PostPosted: Mon December 10th, 2012, 20:37 GMT 

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:

This is an artwork by Fred Bals. Any similarity to a book is coincidental and not intended by the artist.” © Fred Bals.

Fred, the way things look regarding Chronicles, "written" could pretty easily be replaced with "assembled" and it would fit right into Richard Prince's approach to art.

I have forgotten who said they would be pissed if "Bob Dylan" turned out to be a Prince project, but...yes. I wonder if they have known one another for some time? If Dylan has followed R. Prince's career for a long time...

PostPosted: Mon December 10th, 2012, 20:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

What's not to like

PostPosted: Mon December 10th, 2012, 20:48 GMT 

chrome horse wrote:
I think Rev and MMD are on the right track...

Thanks chrome, but I'm just following Rev around on this one. I trying to keep up with her compilation of links early in this thread and her latest long post (much correcting my own).

I had said that I would be interested in Dylan's current works if they were made by Dylan, in the spirit of Prince, as barely acceptable pieces put on sale at the Gagosian precisely to show that shoddy work by a celebrity would get exhibited (at the Gagosian) and sold for large sums just because it was exhibited at the Gagosian and were purported to be by Bob Dylan.

I think Rev is right. The scenario I described would be fine (though, it would be preferable to the idea that Dylan is presenting these works as anything but a joke on the art business). But that would not push the limits of our understanding of the problems (or just the state) of the art business. Rev's explained why.

If Prince is involved, then I think the whole thing moves out into a new area. And a fascinating one.

PostPosted: Mon December 10th, 2012, 20:51 GMT 

MMD wrote:
Fred@Dreamtime wrote:

Fred, the way things look regarding Chronicles, "written" could pretty easily be replaced with "assembled" and it would fit right into Richard Prince's approach to art.

I have forgotten who said they would be pissed if "Bob Dylan" turned out to be a Prince project, but...yes. I wonder if they have known one another for some time? If Dylan has followed R. Prince's career for a long time...

Regardless of who wrote Chronicles, it's great book. That's where the similarities end.

PostPosted: Mon December 10th, 2012, 21:13 GMT 

Can anyone tell me what's up from the beginning? There's reason to think that Richard Prince painted Dylan's pictures? Is there any evidence for this? And what is Prince's connection to Chronicles?

PostPosted: Mon December 10th, 2012, 21:23 GMT 

MMD wrote:

Indeed. ScottW pointed me to this article...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/23/arts/ ... d=all&_r=0

Which you may need a NY Times account to access. In any case, the key element of that article is the following...

Quote:
In a written dialogue between Mr. Prince and a kind of alter ego of his, an artist named John Dogg, Mr. Prince describes how Mr. Dogg — who comes off as a minimalist Neal Cassady — was once employed to deliver special cars to buyers by driving them across the country.

One of his “drive-aways,” from Denver to Los Angeles, was a 1970 Dodge Challenger. “He did it in 16 hours,” Mr. Prince wrote. “The owner wasn’t expecting the car for three weeks.” (For those keeping close score, Ms. Spector’s catalog, with Mr. Prince’s permission, acknowledges publicly for the first time that John Dogg, whose work was exhibited intermittently in the late 1980s, was indeed the creation of Mr. Prince and the New York art dealer Colin de Land, who died in 2003.)

Actually the person who did the "drive-away" in 16 hours wasn't Mr. Prince at all, but Barry Newman in one of my all-time favorite movies, 1971's "Vanishing Point." http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067927/

Appropriating stories from other sources. Creating characters out of whole cloth. Kinda reminds me of someone. :D

PostPosted: Mon December 10th, 2012, 21:37 GMT 

Quote:
One of his “drive-aways,” from Denver to Los Angeles, was a 1970 Dodge Challenger. “He did it in 16 hours,” Mr. Prince wrote. “The owner wasn’t expecting the car for three weeks.”

As soon as I began reading this passage, I thought: 'Vanishing Point.' One of my cult favourites too, Fred.

PostPosted: Mon December 10th, 2012, 21:39 GMT 

Things should start get interesting right about now. :D

http://animalnewyork.com/2012/bob-dylan-richard-prince/

PostPosted: Mon December 10th, 2012, 21:50 GMT 
Titanium Member

goombay wrote:
Fair Play wrote:
Would anyone like these latest offerings if they were by say, Tony Bennett?

Ill take a couple of those too, sure. send them over. Love Tony. :shock:

Here ya go, goombay.
- Sorry i missed voting in your poll. :P

https://tonybennett.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next