Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri October 20th, 2017, 01:32 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon November 5th, 2012, 15:31 GMT 

Quote:
scottw
Italian photographer Massimo Sbreni

Aha - Thank You.
This is an added bonus as I mentioned in another thread I have a daughter who is autistic - she is almost a senior in college - majoring in art history - think she plans to get her masters in Egyptian studies - but who knows as she is always changing her mind - anyways one of her many talents is musical instruments - the other is film cameras - she's been collecting them old at new from flea markets, online, and trips to NYC for years. (Yes - she has some expensive hobbies - huh - she even skateboards on daily basis and anyone who does this - knows how many boards a person can go through and all the broken bones - lol) Anyways she does not take photographs of people, but of objects and places - she has an eye for angles, lighting/shading, film speeds and type, developing techniques etc. She is very inspired by other photographers, would not be surprised if she was not already aware of Sbreni - but I will still give her a heads up. So again thank you.

Quote:
scottw
One might consider how photographs were used as reference points in the creation of The Asia Series in the context that Ralph Rugoff, Director of the Hayward Gallery in London, lays out here: http://youtu.be/zr2WMYrXrB4

Love the comment at the end - "translate and re-invent the photograph" - right on.

Quote:
scottw
Dylan describes meeting one of Rugoff's creations, the fictional artist Robyn Whitlaw, in Chronicles: Volume One. The details are in an essay I wrote earlier this year: http://swarmuth.blogspot.com/2012/03/ap ... an-in.html

Started reading this - will take me awhile to digest and will get back to you. So far I will say you are a very talented writer and extremely perceptive.

Christine

PostPosted: Mon November 5th, 2012, 17:52 GMT 
Mercury Member

scottw wrote:
One might consider how photographs were used as reference points in the creation of The Asia Series in the context that Ralph Rugoff, Director of the Hayward Gallery in London, lays out here: http://youtu.be/zr2WMYrXrB4

Dylan describes meeting one of Rugoff's creations, the fictional artist Robyn Whitlaw, in Chronicles: Volume One. The details are in an essay I wrote earlier this year: http://swarmuth.blogspot.com/2012/03/ap ... an-in.html

Thanks for the Rugoff video link. The essay is very interesting. I read it a while ago.

PostPosted: Tue November 6th, 2012, 15:55 GMT 

Quote:
scottw

Oh, you play with the "big boys" in the literature world and I say this with the utmost respect. I will say that you are on to something in your analysis on the words and lyrics by Bob. I will tell you what I find most interesting in your writings as I did take the time to go through a lot of it but it will take me awhile to get through and digest it all....is that you are not "cheap or lazy" with your connections. I really have no patience for those who go around spouting about Bob plagiarizing. Its as if they miss the whole concept of the origins of folk music. Its just like some individuals say - hey look how smart I am I found where Bob lifted these words from and then move on. I mean really if you are going to go through the effort of playing this game you'd think you would want to know why Bob used a certain phrase and the context of the words. (Just like in his Asia Series Artwork) You have done some exhausting research in this area. Your comparisons offer insight. Truthfully I could not do this even though I am familiar with many of the works and authors you bring up - it is way over my ability or perhaps it is my own laziness - as I do not consider myself to be oblivious or stupid when it comes to literature. I compare you to like a "Mr Jones" and not in a offensive way as I stated above.
Kind of reminds specifically me of the lines -
"You've been with the professors
And they've all liked your looks
With great lawyers you have
Discussed lepers and crooks
You've been through all of
F. Scott Fitzgerald's books
You're very well read
It's well known"
Except here is where I think you are different unlike some others
something is happening here and you DO KNOW what it is

As I said in my first post - if someone can challenge me to get my brain thinking - I am all for it. Whether I agree or not. If they have something relevant to contribute I am all for it - although I must say I tend to agree with many of your connections. So Rock on my friend and I look forward to reading more of what you have to say. Oh yeah got to also mention how it has been in discussions many a times with my daughter and I (who turned me on to Bob) how he identifies and takes on the persona of different characters - so very insightful how you bring this to light in your examples esp when it comes to his writings in Chronicles: Volume One.

PostPosted: Tue November 6th, 2012, 16:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

FYI, I just received a reply to my email to Gagosian, saying they're currently working on the Revisionism catalogue, and will have it available "after the exhibition has opened".

PostPosted: Tue November 6th, 2012, 19:55 GMT 
Titanium Member

I want to go to the exhibit in my Franki Valli kit!, dark violet satin shirt, long gold medallion, white lycra hip-hugger slight-bell bottoms and black stilettos

I might meet me a Man thar' that would understand me!!

I got my Blue Nun glass in hand and i'll be by the Elvis Mag covers!

i give thanks for the giving!

PostPosted: Tue November 6th, 2012, 21:14 GMT 

i hope new works include some paintings and drawings as well. i sure wanna buy one of them, whatever the cost is...

PostPosted: Sat November 17th, 2012, 21:30 GMT 

surprised no one has caught this....it is for real, apparently....look and read.

http://www.holymoly.com/music/news/bob- ... y-art65077

PostPosted: Sat November 17th, 2012, 21:31 GMT 

old news old fan.

PostPosted: Sat November 17th, 2012, 21:37 GMT 

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=72877

PostPosted: Sun November 18th, 2012, 02:58 GMT 

They are askin 200 K for this baby! And this is news....

PostPosted: Sun November 18th, 2012, 07:32 GMT 

scottw wrote:
rolling_thunder wrote:
You may have seen him being squashed by King Kong Bundy at WrestleMania III and carried out of the ring by Hillbilly Jim...a little pro wrestling history for you folks.

http://youtu.be/U3zfe-X2THQ

I should have connected that era of WWF to Dylan much, much earlier. Stetson remarked on Uecker's "there beaver all over this place". That was only the fifth best thing about that video.

PostPosted: Sun November 18th, 2012, 23:48 GMT 
Promethium Member

cumcum wrote:
They are askin 200 K for this baby! And this is news....

Yes and that was hoy much the Life cover was in his last exhibition.

PostPosted: Mon November 19th, 2012, 01:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

some perspective on BD's use of wrestling imagery and the reference to plastic surgery:

Richard Hamilton's collage from 1956, "Just what is it that makes today's homes so different, so appealing?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_What_ ... pealing%3F

plus an article about Peter Blake, England's most famous pop artist, in which he talks about the use of wrestlers and strippers in pop art collage

"from about 1954 I realised that I could paint the subjects I liked such as wrestlers and strippers and the rest of it. I was also aware of Jasper Johns and Robert Rauschenberg in America who anticipated Warhol and Lichenstein and I definitely based some collages on their work."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2006/jan/21/art

The collage bears more than a passing resemblance to Blake's cover art for Sgt. Pepper which was released in 1967:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sgt._Peppe ... _Club_Band

(also note in this article the reference to Pablo Fanque's Circus Royal poster as the inspiration for Lennon's song "Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite" on Sgt. Pepper)

re: the comment that Dylan's collage is rumored to have been the original cover art for H61R in 1965 - the collage looks like other pop art collage from that period. I have no problem believing that BD made the collage in 1965, given the imagery that many prominent pop artists were using at the time. BD could certainly have seen their work in museums and galleries in England in the mid-1960s, and also in NYC, including Andy Warhol's work.

Warhol, who had rhinoplasty in the 1950s, used to draw on photographs of himself to alter the appearance of his nose and in 1961 painted "Before And After I"

Andy Warhol, "Before And After I":

http://woodlandcreature.com/post/492198 ... ndy-warhol

PostPosted: Fri November 23rd, 2012, 16:16 GMT 

The Gagosian website has been updated. The page that had the image labeled Study for the artwork Baby Talk Magazine: Strengthen Your Baby now shows the painting. They also now list the dimensions and the medium. The study and the final painting appear to be very similar.

BOB DYLAN
Baby Talk Magazine: Strengthen Your Baby, 2011–12
Silkscreen on canvas
54 x 40 inches (137.2 x 101.6 cm)

http://www.gagosian.com/exhibitions/bob ... ion-images

PostPosted: Fri November 23rd, 2012, 17:33 GMT 
Titanium Member

scottw wrote:
The Gagosian website has been updated. The page that had the image labeled Study for the artwork Baby Talk Magazine: Strengthen Your Baby now shows the painting. They also now list the dimensions and the medium. The study and the final painting appear to be very similar.

BOB DYLAN
Silkscreen on canvas

So much for my theory he might have created this in 1965, when it would have been a fresh concept.

PostPosted: Fri November 23rd, 2012, 22:16 GMT 
Titanium Member

just found out we'll be hitting NYC before New Years: should be able to make it to the gallery!

PostPosted: Sat November 24th, 2012, 00:31 GMT 

the_revelator wrote:
So much for my theory he might have created this in 1965, when it would have been a fresh concept.

I'm with you Rev. And having dragged my self around the gallery district in NYC, Dylan sure isn't the first person to get a gallery show for being who they are.

Here's what's weird -- silk screen. OK. So who was it (Troubador, maybe? You, Rev?) who speculated that Dylan may have recently learned something like photoshop? Because the cover of Tempest and this silkscreen are, to borrow a phrase, notoriously low-grade stuff, measured against professional graphic design and graphic arts. But it certainly has a kind of amateurish and nostalgic feel (down to the tacky colors) that is totally Dylan's aesthetic ( I'm saying, just to be clear, that I think he is going for this look rather than failing into it). Except now rather than nostalgia for the 1780s or 1880s, it's the 1980s (at latest).

edit: but I have to admit that just repeating the word 'baby' so often in the text makes me laugh a little. Plus, thinking of the Beaver Wrestler there as a cosmetic-surgery enhanced baby is, well, funny.

PostPosted: Sat November 24th, 2012, 05:32 GMT 

rolling_thunder wrote:

Bob's art, getting stranger all the time.

Maybe opening some of the last live shows with "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight" was referencing the new work. That first one in particular :)

PostPosted: Sat November 24th, 2012, 05:35 GMT 

the_revelator wrote:
scottw wrote:

BOB DYLAN
Silkscreen on canvas

Too bad you didn't read Bob's statement that he knows he isn't about to break any new ground ...

PostPosted: Sat November 24th, 2012, 06:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

rimbaud wrote:
the_revelator wrote:

Too bad you didn't read Bob's statement that he knows he isn't about to break any new ground ...

I'm sure Bob knows why Gagosian is willing to exhibit this stuff and that it's not about the quality of the work itself.

$

PostPosted: Sat November 24th, 2012, 08:25 GMT 

To quote George Harrison "Avant garde? Avant garde a clue..!"

PostPosted: Sat November 24th, 2012, 08:59 GMT 

undertheredsky wrote:
To quote George Harrison "Avant garde? Avant garde a clue..!"

No, see, that's just what they've got.

PostPosted: Sat November 24th, 2012, 14:34 GMT 

The title of the show has been revised from Revisionism: Thirty New Works to Revisionist Art: Thirty Works.

http://www.gagosian.com/exhibitions/bob ... er-28-2012

PostPosted: Sun November 25th, 2012, 15:42 GMT 

I, for one, am excited for this.

Bob never shows up at these things, though, does he?

PostPosted: Sun November 25th, 2012, 20:36 GMT 

Anyone who thinks Dylan creates these pieces purely to make money, doesn't have the foggiest notion of what it means to be a creative person.

That he can make money from them is an added bonus; but it's not the motivation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next