Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun December 17th, 2017, 05:57 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu November 1st, 2012, 20:01 GMT 
Promethium Member

shipcomesin wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:
Bob's got a new exhibition of his artwork starting 28 November at Gagosian Gallery NYC.
One of his works can be seen here:
http://www.gagosian.com/exhibitions/bob ... er-28-2012
It's, umm.... interesting! :mrgreen:
I'm guessing the Life Magazine cover that has been previously seen might be a part of this?
http://gagosian.cdn.crvncms.com/__data/ ... 8bafe3.jpg

Ha! Love it, thanks. New Deodorants for Babies, indeed :lol:

and face lifts for the really ugly stinky ones

PostPosted: Thu November 1st, 2012, 20:55 GMT 

So, now we have the pop art wussies and poossies follow-up. He's running a regular little cottage industry these days, fo' sho'.

PostPosted: Thu November 1st, 2012, 21:30 GMT 

Great stuff. Brilliant. I can't wait for the whole exhibition to emerged...

PostPosted: Fri November 2nd, 2012, 05:49 GMT 
Titanium Member

Boston, Milkcow, are you going to this?

PostPosted: Sat November 3rd, 2012, 02:30 GMT 
Promethium Member

Giada wrote:
Boston, Milkcow, are you going to this?

Not sure....if someone wants to go, like Boston or roll or Rosie or geraniumkiss... I would go with them. I doubt I'll go just for that if no friends are involved....

PostPosted: Sat November 3rd, 2012, 02:44 GMT 

So apparently there is some connection here to how he has been approaching his song writing for the last fifteen years. Just as he has been recycling scraps of traditional blues melodies and lyrics, and in some way making them his own , he is doing the same with imagery. It's sort of interesting and it makes sense and I like the humor.

PostPosted: Sat November 3rd, 2012, 11:27 GMT 
Titanium Member

The baby magazine thing is lame. I hope the rest of the exhibition is better than that.

PostPosted: Sat November 3rd, 2012, 13:09 GMT 
Mercury Member

ginger_1964 wrote:
:shock: OMG !
What else do we have to endure ? Is this a new strategy to get rid of some fans who are not strong enough to stand his new "art" ???

Nothing, you need to ENDURE nothing..... go back out in the rain.... :roll:

PostPosted: Sat November 3rd, 2012, 15:17 GMT 
Promethium Member

^^
I was going to post a similar comment, then I saw in another thread ginger wrote she had a bad day, so I decided to let it go. Yes, sure, I totally feel a controversy about this new exhibition coming on, both inside the Dylan community and the media, but that doesn't mean anyone has to let any of this affect them in a bad way. As with all things Dylan, each of us will make up our own mind about his latest work, or else just ignore it.

PostPosted: Sat November 3rd, 2012, 15:27 GMT 
Mercury Member

One of the best parts of Dylan is that he does stuff the people don't get, or don't like at first and come to like or even love later. And just keeps right on rolling along 8)

PostPosted: Sat November 3rd, 2012, 15:36 GMT 
Mercury Member

Consider:

Bob has said that he grew up with circus's and sideshows coming and going through town.

With freaks and clowns and midgets and bearded ladies etc., etc.

I'm guessing(actually hoping for his sanity) that this image comes from that misty,
cobwebbed corner of his mind.

And there's a rumor that back in '65 this was considered as the cover of HWY 61.
Bob wanted it. Albert didn't. :?

PostPosted: Sun November 4th, 2012, 09:47 GMT 

Location: A long the levy , where the geese into the countryside have flown
Hunting season is open again for the “Wussies and Pussies”.

PostPosted: Sun November 4th, 2012, 10:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
scottw wrote:
The person pictured is professional wrestler Little Beaver.

Here we go. :D

You may have seen him being squashed by King Kong Bundy at WrestleMania III and carried out of the ring by Hillbilly Jim...a little pro wrestling history for you folks.

Bob's art, getting stranger all the time.

PostPosted: Sun November 4th, 2012, 14:15 GMT 

rolling_thunder wrote:
You may have seen him being squashed by King Kong Bundy at WrestleMania III and carried out of the ring by Hillbilly Jim...a little pro wrestling history for you folks.

http://youtu.be/U3zfe-X2THQ

PostPosted: Sun November 4th, 2012, 14:37 GMT 
Titanium Member

^
"I think there's a lot of beaver all over this place!"

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun November 4th, 2012, 15:07 GMT 
Titanium Member

scottw wrote:
rolling_thunder wrote:

http://youtu.be/U3zfe-X2THQ

This video is outrageous.

King Kong Bundy should never have been disqualified, Little Beaver had it comin'.

PostPosted: Sun November 4th, 2012, 17:11 GMT 

Sheesh :o you do know how to get entertained in the US of A :wink: We think we're close but we're so different.
But I do like the look of the Asia Series, but probably far too expensive, he has a real talent.

PostPosted: Sun November 4th, 2012, 18:17 GMT 

Lily Rose wrote:
ginger_1964 wrote:
:shock: OMG !
What else do we have to endure ? Is this a new strategy to get rid of some fans who are not strong enough to stand his new "art" ???

Nothing, you need to ENDURE nothing..... go back out in the rain.... :roll:

@ Lily Rose and JP: Nobody can be forced to love everything that is produced by Bob. A bit more tolerance against other viewpoints woudn't be bad either.
Btw - my earlier post was not meant to be too serious. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun November 4th, 2012, 18:21 GMT 
Promethium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
^^
As with all things Dylan, each of us will make up our own mind about his latest work, or else just ignore it.

Hey ginger.... I didn't say everyone has to love it. No problem with that for me.

PostPosted: Sun November 4th, 2012, 19:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

good grief.... ^^ :lol:

anyway, ginger... it's bizarre for sure... however, I do love the idea of face lifts for babies... I want a t shirt that says that

PostPosted: Sun November 4th, 2012, 19:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

the_revelator wrote:
The baby magazine thing is lame. I hope the rest of the exhibition is better than that.

I bet that is the best one out of all of them... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon November 5th, 2012, 13:46 GMT 

Quote:
Johanna Parker
Too bad we won't get all the fun of finding any photos he painted from this time.

Although I already sent you, Johanna, a PM on this subject - and again thanks for your thoughtful reply - gonna repeat some of it here -
The "fun" here seems to have already started thanks to scottw finding the picture of professional wrestler Little Beaver - cool.

Quote:
Lily Rose
...... a bit of "let's see if you can figure out where I stole this stuff from

As I just got through saying to Johanna Parker - I do not think Bob "stole" anything. And my perception on the whole Asia series is the beauty of - not that he painted pictures taken from other peoples photographs as this goes back to The Hockney–Falco thesis - but how Bob was influenced through his personal travels to paint this series - and the pictures he choose are significant in and of itself. And personally I thought it was lazy and cheap for the media to take off the way they did...

What I find intriguing about this upcoming Revisionism: Thirty New Works (Gagosian Gallery) is the word - Revisionism
"In historiography, historical revisionism is the reinterpretation of orthodox views on evidence, motivations, and decision-making processes surrounding a historical event. Though the word revisionism is sometimes used in a negative way, constant revision of history is part of the normal scholarly process of writing history."
Got to love wiki - even with all its faults lol

This goes back to Bob's recent Rolling Stone and his whole mention on history.

And side note - wiki starts off with historian James McPherson. I personally have a bit of a problem with his bias in certain areas via a recent Civil War course I took and having one of his textbook as a reference along with reading several others by him - listening to his interviews etc. And going to visit some of the Civil War museums and landmarks... I think Bob was spot on when he talked about getting history from other resources example newspapers. I also esp enjoy reading personal first hand accounts from people living at that time to gain more insight and perspectives.

Now back to our sneak peek - Study for the artwork Baby Talk Magazine: Strengthen Your Baby (2011–12)
Although as far as art itself it is not visually appealing to me but more significant it makes me think. And it someone can challenge me to get my brain working - I am all for it and look forward to seeing what else Bob has to offer.

My take on this piece of art -
First thought - it's like we as humans start off hardly having a chance to enjoy and appreciate what it means to be human with all our beauty and all our flaws.
eg - facelifts - I mean really its such a disgrace we seem to be targeted so strongly by the media that we need to preserve our youth instead of embracing the aging process.
This is a beautiful pictures - wrinkles and all - and I tried and tried to find the source for this picture....no can do - so if someone feels so inclined to lead me in the right direction - much appreciated. I just found it on someones random pinterest board...
http://media-cache-ec2.pinterest.com/up ... 3qQimv.jpg

Quote:
triumphh
Powerful.
Bob's the out-of-the-box thinker as ever.
Sit down for a minute and have the art-history shoot through your head.
From, say 3000BC up to Damien Hirst.
Then watch the magazine covers again.

Right On!

So yeah - Go Bob!
And thanks for starting this thread Johanna

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon November 5th, 2012, 14:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

I see the baby thing as excellent sarcasm of our image obsessed culture and it fits right in with his writing over the years. He is just sending the same message through a different medium. I think it's great. And if you can't sing..........paint!

PostPosted: Mon November 5th, 2012, 14:26 GMT 
Promethium Member

I put this through google the other day (all for the fun of finding his sources), and an article came up about a 7-year-old in the US whose mother decided to have plastic surgery done on her daughter's ears so she wouldn't be picked on by other kids.... later they asked the girl if she'd ever been picked on because of her ears and she said no. The article ended by asking if soon there'd be face lifts for babies. I'm not saying Bob took it from there, I'm just saying the obsession he's pointing at is right there.

PostPosted: Mon November 5th, 2012, 14:29 GMT 

bobsbootsandshoes wrote:
...my perception on the whole Asia series is the beauty of - not that he painted pictures taken from other peoples photographs as this goes back to The Hockney–Falco thesis - but how Bob was influenced through his personal travels to paint this series - and the pictures he choose are significant in and of itself. And personally I thought it was lazy and cheap for the media to take off the way they did...

One might consider how photographs were used as reference points in the creation of The Asia Series in the context that Ralph Rugoff, Director of the Hayward Gallery in London, lays out here: http://youtu.be/zr2WMYrXrB4

Dylan describes meeting one of Rugoff's creations, the fictional artist Robyn Whitlaw, in Chronicles: Volume One. The details are in an essay I wrote earlier this year: http://swarmuth.blogspot.com/2012/03/ap ... an-in.html

bobsbootsandshoes wrote:
This is a beautiful pictures - wrinkles and all - and I tried and tried to find the source for this picture....no can do - so if someone feels so inclined to lead me in the right direction - much appreciated. I just found it on someones random pinterest board...
http://media-cache-ec2.pinterest.com/up ... 3qQimv.jpg

The photo was taken by Italian photographer Massimo Sbreni.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next