Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 17th, 2017, 02:14 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu November 29th, 2012, 21:32 GMT 
Titanium Member

^

If we didn't before Bette Midler told us, we do now.

PostPosted: Fri November 30th, 2012, 02:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

SEVEN MORE MAG COVERS--

the models are people without lawyers protecting their images, in pointed contrast to the celebrities done by Warhol

http://www.gagosian.com/exhibitions/bob ... ion-images

PostPosted: Fri November 30th, 2012, 03:05 GMT 

Bob's a strange dude.

PostPosted: Fri November 30th, 2012, 03:30 GMT 
Titanium Member

"Nixon's Body Exhumed"

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri November 30th, 2012, 05:34 GMT 
Titanium Member

BIG FAT PINEAPPLES ARE QUITE ALRIGHT

PostPosted: Fri November 30th, 2012, 14:36 GMT 
Promethium Member

:?

From the ER main page:
New Bob Dylan Exhibit 'Revisionism' Opens To Small Crowds At Gagosian Gallery
Katherine Brooks
Posted: 11/29/2012 3:30 pm

If you didn't know Bob Dylan's art exhibit opened this week at Gagosian Gallery in New York City, you're not alone. The Freewheelin' musician seems to have snuck ever so quietly past the art masses, debuting his second Madison Avenue show to a scattered crowd of visitors that, during my short trip, included just two couples and a guffawing journalist. The exhibit, titled "Revisionism: Thirty New Works," had no official opening reception, and instead just appeared one day in the prestigious gallery, tucked into a room on the 5th floor, sandwiched between Cy Twombly and Richard Serra.

The artwork consists of large-scale, silkscreened canvases that re-contextualize magazine covers with a loud mesh of pop culture iconography. Dylan throws together both past and present day celebrities and politicians -- often nude, bloodied or both -- and plasters them on his version of well-known publications like Gourmet magazine, Rolling Stone or TIME. Topped off with nonsensical headlines (think a group of ballet dancers under the caption "Soul Train in its First Season Promises to Bring Dance Culture to Main Stream"), the giant artworks read like a handful of inside jokes imagined by a man of culture with decades of disdain under his belt.

Which might be why the journalist I shared the rounds with found each and every canvas so laughable. Or why one of the unimpressed couples paced for less than a minute before suggesting, "Let's go see Richard [Serra]." Another canvas shows a topless figure of a tennis player on a faux-Life cover accompanied by the words, "Olga Svenson, Swedish Star, Comes From Behind To Win Open." Like the outstanding barrage of bare-breasted pin-ups and blood-stained brutes decorated with mundane quips, the provocative image lacks originality just as much as it exudes forced irony.

The overall dampened enthusiasm for the exhibit could have something to do with Mr. Zimmerman's last foray into the world of Madison Avenue art. His "Asia Series," which graced the walls of Gagosian Gallery last year, was criticized for its allegedly uncanny resemblance to images in the public domain. Though the exhibit was supposed to be based on Dylan's personal travels throughout Japan, China, Vietnam, and Korea, the works were less "visual journal" and more paint-by-numbers Henri Cartier-Bresson. As you might guess, the reviews were not kind to the singer-songwriter -- Holland Cotter called it "dead on the wall" -- but that seemed to have no effect on Dylan, who didn't shed so much as a single press release responding to the accusations.

In fact, the title of Dylan's 2012 exhibit sounds like a direct rebuttal to the "Asia Series" debacle. Even the Gagosian's official description of "Revisionism" makes a not-so-discreet reference to the musician's penchant for appropriation, remarking, "Dylan has long been a willful contextualizer of his own source material."

We get it, Bob. It's no skin off your back to borrow bits of material here and there. Appropriation is part of the artistic wheelhouse and no one will fault you for that, unless you're Jonah Lehrer. But this recent exhibit, like "Asia Series," just leaves us piecing together the dull jokes of an underwhelming show.

PostPosted: Fri November 30th, 2012, 14:55 GMT 
Titanium Member

f 'in Cristy ShitE!!~!

that qualifies as a review of an opening ??? half a sentence describing a work and a verbal rant about the notion of him doing art, and the exclaimation and emphasis on the 'disaster' of a previously explored enterprise ?? no wonder he has something to protest against in this art world. that person would have gotten kicked out of any art class i've ever taken. (not really cuz it's a pretty passive crowd, by and large)

i am revolted so badly i need thickboy's thesaurus!

to quote a great thinker, Charlesdarwin/ --- "play the ball not the person" journalistic 'people!'

is there an emoticon for a vomitting devilface in the interwebs somewhere??

:evil: :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Fri November 30th, 2012, 15:25 GMT 
Mercury Member

In fact, the title of Dylan's 2012 exhibit sounds like a direct rebuttal to the "Asia Series" debacle :roll:

We know one of them was already on display (sort of) during the Asia Series and according to the Rolling Stone article (which was removed) they were already completed works when someone (John Elderfield?) viewed the Asia series in his studio.

PostPosted: Fri November 30th, 2012, 15:30 GMT 
Promethium Member

Wonder why the RS article was taken down...

Anyway, I think we need a full thickboy response.

PostPosted: Fri November 30th, 2012, 15:33 GMT 

raging_glory wrote:
In fact, the title of Dylan's 2012 exhibit sounds like a direct rebuttal to the "Asia Series" debacle :roll:

We know one of them was already on display (sort of) during the Asia Series and according to the Rolling Stone article (which was removed) they were already completed works when someone (John Elderfield?) viewed the Asia series in his studio.

I agree with you- and although you said it more concisely, that's kind of in the same thought thing as what I just posted on the "Bravado" thread- thinking about the exhibit, etc.:
Belle Laugh wrote:
This seems to be a pretty "brave act" at work:
The new exhibition of his artwork at Gagosian Gallery NYC
+

Was this related to the new exhibit somehow?
mrjinks wrote:
... not much discussion about Bob's crazy ramblings about being "transfigured" in the Rolling Stone article...

So, what do you think? An elaborate setup to have some fun with an interviewer - again (that's my guess), or do you really think Bob's serious about that stuff?

Just looking at the new images from the art gallery, and agreeing with this sentiment from Tragos when the exhibit was first announced:
Tragos114 wrote:
:shock: He's insane :mrgreen:
Then I remembered and searched for what I remembered as maybe a relevant thread with thoughts and opinions about "Legacy":

Lily Rose wrote:
Two things that say he very much cares....

One of the more recent interviews.... something after Modern Times came out.... the interviewer asked somewhat the same question..... I don't remember his answer exactly but it was to say that he thought his legacy was now going to be ok.... I think he knows looking back what worked and the times when he says to himself "what was I thinking"....

The second one is even more vague.... I think he hangs on to everything.... example Milky's Prada shows coming back out from storage.... and then the papers that go on sale of his old hand written lyrics.... seem to just quietly go off the market.... rather quickly after they surface.... just who do you think is gathering that stuff up.... story is he got the little red 'blood on tracks' notebook back and took control of who can see it and when.... I think there really is a vault and it is stocked full of goodies... to be shown or not according to what Bob wants..... his put his personal history out there according to what he wants to have remembered in NDH and Chronicles...... he has a plan and nobody, but nobody, decides his schedule but him.... and I for one think he is doing just fine..... :wink:

If you put these things together & think of the whole as standing outside of what you "see", then the latest, "Revisionist" exhibition is beyond interesting!
And also, why does Bob have Milcow's shoes in storage Lily?? There's some transfigured poetry right there. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri November 30th, 2012, 15:34 GMT 
Mercury Member

smoke wrote:

We get it, Bob. It's no skin off your back to borrow bits of material here and there. Appropriation is part of the artistic wheelhouse and no one will fault you for that, unless you're Jonah Lehrer. But this recent exhibit, like "Asia Series," just leaves us piecing together the dull jokes of an underwhelming show.[/i]

Also, Jonah Lehrer wasn't appropriating. He was lying.

PostPosted: Fri November 30th, 2012, 15:44 GMT 

These are great works of art! I'd trade them for a sofa any day. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri November 30th, 2012, 16:42 GMT 

Mutabor wrote:

this is a funny post. thank you

PostPosted: Fri November 30th, 2012, 16:47 GMT 
Titanium Member

smoke wrote:
Wonder why the RS article was taken down...

Anyway, I think we need a full thickboy response.

I think we need a Thickboy review - For some reason I think it would be more accurate if written from across the sea without having gone to the show!!

PostPosted: Fri November 30th, 2012, 17:26 GMT 

The gallery took down a lot of the images. Does anyone have a link to the Gourmet Magazine cover?

PostPosted: Fri November 30th, 2012, 21:53 GMT 
Titanium Member

Bette Midler, Liz Taylor, Mamie Van Doren, Bridget Bardot, Anita Ekberg, Sally Kirkland

something in common?

PostPosted: Sat December 1st, 2012, 01:10 GMT 
Mercury Member

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat December 1st, 2012, 05:32 GMT 

raging_glory wrote:

Lehrer certainly was appropriating. The details are in the Slate article Jonah Lehrer’s Journalistic Misdeeds at Wired.com: An investigation reveals evidence of plagiarism, dodgy quotes, and factual inaccuracies: http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... ingle.html

PostPosted: Sat December 1st, 2012, 05:53 GMT 

I hope they make some t-shirts out of these. It could be nice to bring some style to my wardrobe.

PostPosted: Sat December 1st, 2012, 07:11 GMT 

goodnitesteve wrote:
Isn't it funny that Dylan is doing artwork in the same style he criticized Andy Warhol for?

yeah that is interesting

PostPosted: Sat December 1st, 2012, 07:44 GMT 
Titanium Member

What seems to be his commentary on Arizona's "papers, please" law is pretty funny -- a group of white travelers rounded up by immigration. "The loser now will be later to win..."

PostPosted: Sat December 1st, 2012, 11:24 GMT 
Mercury Member

scottw wrote:
raging_glory wrote:

Lehrer certainly was appropriating. The details are in the Slate article Jonah Lehrer’s Journalistic Misdeeds at Wired.com: An investigation reveals evidence of plagiarism, dodgy quotes, and factual inaccuracies: http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... ingle.html

My point was that he was fabricating quotes. Perhaps I should have said he wasn't just appropriating.

PostPosted: Sat December 1st, 2012, 14:52 GMT 

jman wrote:
Mutabor wrote:

this is a funny post. thank you

why, thank you! I of course realize that many here amongst us are far more advanced in irony and wit, not to mention the deeper understanding of modern visual art!

PostPosted: Sat December 1st, 2012, 15:06 GMT 

Here's an image that Dylan used on one of his Playboy covers used in a different way by another artist. The text is interesting if you read French, although Dylan's "Big fat pineapples are quite alright" might top it.

You can see it in context here; you'll have to scroll down a bit: http://www.errances-editions.fr/pages/livres.html

PostPosted: Sat December 1st, 2012, 15:45 GMT 

Andy Greene's (now-vanished) Rolling Stone article included, "The works mash up several eras of American history and vary wildly in tone. For example, a Life magazine cover dated August 23rd, 1996, features an early-Sixties photograph of Frank Sinatra and Joey Bishop with a cover line that reads, 'Gore to Challenge Giuliani.'"

It is not a photo of Sinatra and Joey Bishop at all; it is a shot of Sinatra with his son, who looks nothing like Joey Bishop. Of course Dylan writes about meeting Frank Sinatra Jr. in Chronicles: Volume One.

Here's the original Life cover -

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next