Expecting Rain
http://www.expectingrain.com/discussions/

Together Through Life influences
http://www.expectingrain.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=68323
Page 3 of 4

Author:  goombay [ Sun January 22nd, 2012, 04:57 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Together Through Life influences

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
goombay wrote:
smoothy sipping it while indulge in a stogie.

what kinda stogis we got goin' tonight? Cuban?



a Torano signature series. got a bunch in for free from a fellow who distributes them. pretty good.
i think they are made in nicaragua with dominican tobacco, id sent you a couple excpet i got this thing set up to get no pms, got too many warnings and the such. didnt want to know about them, and im not certain how to change

Author:  Still Go Barefoot [ Sun January 22nd, 2012, 05:02 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Together Through Life influences

Nice friend! Warnings for what? Second-hand smoke while posting?

Author:  goombay [ Sun January 22nd, 2012, 05:05 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Together Through Life influences

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Nice friend! Warnings for what? Second-hand smoke while posting?



i forget. not being nice to some of the rude posters here, i think. lotta commentary about my quoting abilities, none very nice.

Author:  Still Go Barefoot [ Sun January 22nd, 2012, 05:15 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Together Through Life influences

Well, stay on the high road and enjoy those cigars...

Author:  goombay [ Sun January 22nd, 2012, 05:31 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Together Through Life influences

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Well, stay on the high road and enjoy those cigars...



a nice smooth cigar
with some jack on the rocks
and TTL on the headphones
it dont get any better than that

it makes me forget that im out of banjo lessons.

Author:  Still Go Barefoot [ Sun January 22nd, 2012, 05:38 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Together Through Life influences

goombay wrote:
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Well, stay on the high road and enjoy those cigars...



a nice smooth cigar
with some jack on the rocks
and TTL on the headphones
it dont get any better than that

it makes me forget that im out of banjo lessons.

Screw the lessons. Pick it up and teach yourself. You're learning just by holding the damn thing. Although it might take away from the smooth one and the on-the-rocks...

Author:  slimtimslide [ Sun January 22nd, 2012, 13:38 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Together Through Life influences

mmm a good cigar and some Jack would certainly make that album sound better!

Author:  Still Go Barefoot [ Sun January 22nd, 2012, 13:46 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Together Through Life influences

slimtimslide wrote:
mmm a good cigar and some Jack would certainly make that album sound better!

The more you drink, the better it sounds.

Author:  Tragos114 [ Sun January 22nd, 2012, 14:18 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Together Through Life influences

TTL is a cool record and MD is a great one . 8)

I'm organizing what we have so far ( to get us back on topic )

1.Beyond Here Lies Nothin' based on an old blues motif used in many songs
2. Life is Hard
3. My Wife's Home Town based on Willie Dixon's I Just Want To Make Love To You
4. If You Ever Go to Houston
5. Forgetful Heart
6. Jolene ( i'm pretty sure this beauty is based on something too )
7. This Dream of You influenced by Mink DeVille's Just To Walk That Little Girl Home
8. Shake Shake Mama possibly based on Mance Lipscomb's Shake Shake Mama
9. I Feel a Change Comin' On
10. It's All Good again loosly based on an old blues motif , like this one ( Slim Harpo's I Got Love If You Want It )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJncHZgBkWQ


About the quotations in the lyrics , if you feel up to it , we can start gathering those too :wink:


( This thread is for people who think stealin's is art , and also for those who want to research the sources of TTL 8) )

Author:  goombay [ Sun January 22nd, 2012, 14:37 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Together Through Life influences

slimtimslide wrote:
mmm a good cigar and some Jack would certainly make that album sound better!



thats how i roll.

Author:  goombay [ Sun January 22nd, 2012, 14:47 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Together Through Life influences

Tragos114 wrote:
TTL is a cool record and MD is a great one . 8)

I'm organizing what we have so far ( to get us back on topic )

1.Beyond Here Lies Nothin' based on an old blues motif used in many songs
2. Life is Hard
3. My Wife's Home Town based on Willie Dixon's I Just Want To Make Love To You
4. If You Ever Go to Houston
5. Forgetful Heart
6. Jolene ( i'm pretty sure this beauty is based on something too )
7. This Dream of You influenced by Mink DeVille's Just To Walk That Little Girl Home
8. Shake Shake Mama possibly based on Mance Lipscomb's Shake Shake Mama
9. I Feel a Change Comin' On
10. It's All Good again loosly based on an old blues motif , like this one ( Slim Harpo's I Got Love If You Want It )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJncHZgBkWQ


About the quotations in the lyrics , if you feel up to it , we can start gathering those too :wink:


( This thread is for people who think stealin's is art , and also for those who want to research the sources of TTL 8) )



the Lipscomb and mink tracks dont sound much like the bob tracks, but then again i may be musically dense.
i miss mink deville. i was at one of his sessions many moons ago when he was signed, i remember the drummer telling me that mink is the only guy hes known who can into an empty room with a guitar, and 5 hrs later come back with nothing.

Author:  Still Go Barefoot [ Sun January 22nd, 2012, 15:10 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Together Through Life influences

goombay wrote:
Tragos114 wrote:
7. This Dream of You influenced by Mink DeVille's Just To Walk That Little Girl Home
( This thread is for people who think stealin's is art , and also for those who want to research the sources of TTL 8) )


i miss mink deville. i was at one of his sessions many moons ago when he was signed, i remember the drummer telling me that mink is the only guy hes known who can into an empty room with a guitar, and 5 hrs later come back with nothing.

I thought that Mink Deville was the band and that Willy Deville was the person.

Author:  goombay [ Sun January 22nd, 2012, 15:42 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Together Through Life influences

Quote:
i miss mink deville. i was at one of his sessions many moons ago when he was signed, i remember the drummer telling me that mink is the only guy hes known who can into an empty room with a guitar, and 5 hrs later come back with nothing.


Quote:
I thought that Mink Deville was the band and that Willy Deville was the person.

yea mink was willy he used to dress like a pirate. he even had his own language, and plenty of personality. he was great, would drive the studio guys crazy. a lot of these studio guys are like music school types, looking for wrong notes under the bed, its not about that its about the soul of the music.
like the great shuggie otis said ' i dont make records anymore because they wont let you make any mistakes, and the mistakes are the parts i like', or words to that effect.

i was a the book store and was reading thru the updated sounes book. that victor guy went off on bob pretty good. thats the guy who used to conduct himself like he was some sort of philosopher. you can never have enough philosophers.

Author:  Still Go Barefoot [ Sun January 22nd, 2012, 16:33 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Together Through Life influences

This is Willy Deville on his own without Mink Deville. With Mark Knopfler I believe.
They had been working on the Princess Bride soundtrack in that same timezone, in the mid-80s.
He's a Southern Politician, a political man...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AWa0qqR ... ata_player

Author:  goombay [ Sun January 22nd, 2012, 17:56 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Together Through Life influences

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
This is Willy Deville on his own without Mink Deville. With Mark Knopfler I believe.
They had been working on the Princess Bride soundtrack in that same timezone, in the mid-80s.
He's a Southern Politician, a political man...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AWa0qqR ... ata_player



when i say mink i actually mean willy, he was from NY at least his music was very NYC, with a strong Pomus/Spector flavor, at least back then, but if my memory is right, he talked like if he was from New Orleans.

those were the days. he would drive people crazy. they dont make them like him anymore, anyone acst like him nowadays he either has to flee to europe of get institutionalized.

Author:  Still Go Barefoot [ Mon January 23rd, 2012, 00:36 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Together Through Life influences

My kinda guy. Doesn't sound too boring.

Author:  LineCookJosh [ Mon January 23rd, 2012, 17:33 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Together Through Life influences

elmer wrote:
yet in the end it all adds up to just another bad album for the modern bob


Man I haven't posted in weeks and Elmer is still hating on Modern Bob

Author:  gibsona07 [ Mon January 23rd, 2012, 17:35 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Together Through Life influences

Has no one mentioned the obvious influence of Leadbelly's 'Midnight Special' on If You Ever Go To Houston?

Author:  Still Go Barefoot [ Tue January 24th, 2012, 00:22 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Together Through Life influences

I've reeeeaaaally tried with this album. I have to force it on every time just because I know it's gonna hit me sometime. So much stage play, it's hard to do it.

Author:  slimtimslide [ Tue January 24th, 2012, 00:29 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Together Through Life influences

Willie DeVille made himself a little controversial over here by saying 'never trust a man who isn't on opiates'. I never totally believed his story about johnny thunders demise either, a little too innocent if you ask me. Good tunes though!

Author:  Still Go Barefoot [ Tue January 24th, 2012, 01:02 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Together Through Life influences

slimtimslide wrote:
Willie DeVille made himself a little controversial over here by saying 'never trust a man who isn't on opiates'. I never totally believed his story about johnny thunders demise either, a little too innocent if you ask me. Good tunes though!

Why's that controversial, coming from him?

Author:  goombay [ Tue January 24th, 2012, 02:04 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Together Through Life influences

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
slimtimslide wrote:
Willie DeVille made himself a little controversial over here by saying 'never trust a man who isn't on opiates'. I never totally believed his story about johnny thunders demise either, a little too innocent if you ask me. Good tunes though!

Why's that controversial, coming from him?



anyone who was involved in this thing or ours back in the day, can tell you that if you didnt partake you were thought to be a narc. that was true here in the usa dont know about the uk dont know if they had narcs.
back in the day if you showed up at a situation involving the music thing wearing brown wing tip shoes you were made unwelcome.
never ever take your new girlfriend to party where the majority of attendees are musicians, if you do make sure you tap your coat a few times to make them wonder if you are packing.

Author:  Still Go Barefoot [ Tue January 24th, 2012, 02:33 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Together Through Life influences

OK, so, again, why would anyone be surprised that Will Deville said 'never trust a man that isn't on opiates'? I mean, it's f'in Willy DeVille! Similar source would be Keith Richards saying the same thing. Why the controversy? Look at the source people! Not you, Goombay. (Although if you said it, I wouldn't be all shocked and yelling controversy either.)

Author:  goombay [ Tue January 24th, 2012, 03:08 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Together Through Life influences

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
OK, so, again, why would anyone be surprised that Will Deville said 'never trust a man that isn't on opiates'? I mean, it's f'in Willy DeVille! Similar source would be Keith Richards saying the same thing. Why the controversy? Look at the source people! Not you, Goombay. (Although if you said it, I wouldn't be all shocked and yelling controversy either.)



exactly its not like willy would ring up for his tea at noon, if you know what i mean and if he did you better have some of the good tea.

it helps with the songwriting.

Author:  Still Go Barefoot [ Wed January 25th, 2012, 00:43 GMT ]
Post subject:  Re: Together Through Life influences

goombay wrote:
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
OK, so, again, why would anyone be surprised that Will Deville said 'never trust a man that isn't on opiates'? I mean, it's f'in Willy DeVille! Similar source would be Keith Richards saying the same thing. Why the controversy? Look at the source people! Not you, Goombay. (Although if you said it, I wouldn't be all shocked and yelling controversy either.)



exactly its not like willy would ring up for his tea at noon, if you know what i mean and if he did you better have some of the good tea.

it helps with the songwriting.

Yeah, he probably had nasty habits and took tea at 3.

Page 3 of 4 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/