Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu October 19th, 2017, 21:56 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 906 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 37  Next
PostPosted: Mon October 3rd, 2011, 21:42 GMT 
Promethium Member

She's a Victoria's Angel, too.... she should've gone when Bob was there.

PostPosted: Mon October 3rd, 2011, 21:44 GMT 

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
The men here might be interested to know that we took the elevator with Tom Brady's wife, Gisselle Bunchen

Milkcow wrote:
I wasn't that impresses with her looks. I actually thought she was too skinny.
You like 'em voluptuous too?

PostPosted: Mon October 3rd, 2011, 21:44 GMT 
Promethium Member

Lily Rose wrote:
Oh, I heard he wore a mask made from a photograph that he found on line...... :P

:lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon October 3rd, 2011, 21:48 GMT 

First, thank you Johanna Parker for starting all this with 'Bob Dylan - The Asia Series'. And thank you, Fred@Dreamtime for sharing the info you had and your insights to really create the beginning of this incredible debate. I have followed every page of this and have totally enjoyed the most freewheeling discussion I think I have ever seen on Expecting Rain. It's been fascinating. I am a painter and these are contemporary main stream issues. Why does it not surprise me that Mr. Dylan's first major NYC gallery show would wind up front,center of this debate?

This is my first post. I may be 'new' here but I've grown to love this community's spirit.
Thank you Fred for my laugh of the day. In view of this whole debate, your post of Bob's disguise at the Opening is pure genuis and sweet comic relief.

PostPosted: Mon October 3rd, 2011, 21:53 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Milkcow wrote:
BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
The men here might be interested to know that we took the elevator with Tom Brady's wife, Gisselle Bunchen (sp?). She's a babe. :shock:

I wasn't that impresses with her looks. I actually thought she was too skinny. Boston thought she was really pretty. If I didn't know it was her I wouldn't have given her a second glance. She was just very tall.

She was leaving the gallery, but we don't know which exhibit. There is more than one on a floor

You only don't think she's pretty because she looks just like me. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon October 3rd, 2011, 21:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

She's an Artist wrote:
First, thank you Johanna Parker for starting all this with 'Bob Dylan - The Asia Series'. And thank you, Fred@Dreamtime for sharing the info you had and your insights to really create the beginning of this incredible debate. I have followed every page of this and have totally enjoyed the most freewheeling discussion I think I have ever seen on Expecting Rain. It's been fascinating. I am a painter and these are contemporary main stream issues. Why does it not surprise me that Mr. Dylan's first major NYC gallery show would wind up front,center of this debate?

This is my first post. I may be 'new' here but I've grown to love this community's spirit.
Thank you Fred for my laugh of the day. In view of this whole debate, your post of Bob's disguise at the Opening is pure genuis and sweet comic relief.

You're welcome.... welcome. :D

PostPosted: Mon October 3rd, 2011, 22:15 GMT 

She's an Artist wrote:

Thanks for the kind words. And with a certain sense of irony., I have to admit I, ah, borrowed the image from my friend Scott Warmuth's blog post on the subject. Highly recommended reading for those who haven't seen it yet.

http://swarmuth.blogspot.com/2011/10/de ... champ.html

PostPosted: Mon October 3rd, 2011, 23:40 GMT 

jman wrote:
Felliniesque wrote:
Hearing Bob compared to dirt like Marcel Duchamp makes me want to punch somebody in the face. Maybe in terms of cheekiness, yes, but not artistic philosophy. The man destroyed art. The man is the reason why modern art sucks. While I cannot say I like Bob's art it is head and heels over that crackpot's any day.

They are both trolls but Bob either contributes or preserves himself. Duchamp destroys.

for a young person you sure are reactionary. but you are passionate, and I like you for that alone.

I didn't know that was rare among young people? But, thanks for the compliment I guess :p

PostPosted: Tue October 4th, 2011, 00:18 GMT 

Fred@Dreamtime wrote:
She's an Artist wrote:

Thanks for the kind words. And with a certain sense of irony., I have to admit I, ah, borrowed the image from my friend Scott Warmuth's blog post on the subject. Highly recommended reading for those who haven't seen it yet.

http://swarmuth.blogspot.com/2011/10/de ... champ.html

I'm really laughing now. How perfect!

PostPosted: Tue October 4th, 2011, 01:08 GMT 

J0hanna4Ever wrote:
There was never really any doubt in my mind that Bob stirred this controversy up himself. He always does; the only time he got mad was about China because he didn't start it. He is a sorcerer, a snake charmer, a fix everything potion seller, but I still love him. Love, Joanna XOXXO

Well now - I do believe this is the definite post on this thread! Thanks Johanna! :wink: I agree with it all.

And as someone here posted, waaaaay back in the early pages, Bob's new artwork is akin to a musician covering anther's song. When Jerry Garcia recorded Dylan music, http://www.amazon.com/Garcia-Plays-Dyla ... B000B6VUCK, he was reinterpreting an existing artwork, in this case songs written by Bob (ALL words and music are by Bob Dylan, right? :roll: ). So - Jerry can tweak some songs and make them "his own" in some fashion, but they are still Dylan's songs and are credited as such, and they must be. So it needs to be with painting IMHO. Bad on you, Bobby!

PostPosted: Tue October 4th, 2011, 01:16 GMT 
Promethium Member

I beg to differ. I think the Cow wrapped it all up with the "Stop the Beating" thing.

PostPosted: Tue October 4th, 2011, 02:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
You only don't think she's pretty because she looks just like me. :mrgreen:

okay... this is a ridiculous post...

I JUST said I wouldn't look twice at her.... friggin, YOU!!!! hell, we have lesbian sex, so what the bad word are YOU talking about???

:lol: :lol: :lol:

and don't deny you love it.... bwhahahaha

I like my girls real, babeh!!! :lol:

Oh and no disrespect to anyone who really is a lesbian.... I'm sorry if I offend you. I didn't mean to.

PostPosted: Tue October 4th, 2011, 02:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:

:D

PostPosted: Tue October 4th, 2011, 02:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

Quote:
Oh and no disrespect to anyone who really is a lesbian.... I'm sorry if I offend you. I didn't mean to.

No offense taken. I know how you are.

PostPosted: Tue October 4th, 2011, 02:31 GMT 
Titanium Member

Milkcow wrote:
I JUST said I wouldn't look twice at her....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32VWELcZUMM

PostPosted: Tue October 4th, 2011, 04:12 GMT 

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, it's a new interview over on Bob dot com.......

http://www.bobdylan.com/elderfield

Elderfield does reference the painting "Cockfight" by name, that may be of interest to some.......

PostPosted: Tue October 4th, 2011, 04:50 GMT 
Promethium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Quote:

Hey!!! I imagined you were a guy not a girl!!!!! Funny how you imagine something and then believe it.... hahahaha cool!

PostPosted: Tue October 4th, 2011, 04:52 GMT 
Promethium Member

Joshua Chamberlain wrote:
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, it's a new interview over on Bob dot com.......

http://www.bobdylan.com/elderfield

Elderfield does reference the painting "Cockfight" by name, that may be of interest to some.......

cockfight cockfight!!!!

and to Hal... thanks for the link.... BOSTON.... Hal found the perfect song for me to give you!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue October 4th, 2011, 11:45 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I can hardly wait to hear what it is....

PostPosted: Tue October 4th, 2011, 20:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
I can hardly wait to hear what it is....

it's here on the page before this one.... darling :lol:

PostPosted: Tue October 4th, 2011, 23:06 GMT 

Quote:
You know what’s a bit over the top? Richard Prince wrote the text for “The Asia Series” catalog. Prince and Gagosian lost a suit with French photographer Patrick Cariou. Coriou accused Prince of copying 41 of his photographs. We’re told the catalog has since been shelved.
Holy collector's item, Batkids! If this is indeed the case....?
http://designapplause.com/2011/is-dylan-gagosian-worthy/18571/

PostPosted: Tue October 4th, 2011, 23:57 GMT 
Mercury Member

AndoDoug wrote:
Quote:
You know what’s a bit over the top? Richard Prince wrote the text for “The Asia Series” catalog. Prince and Gagosian lost a suit with French photographer Patrick Cariou. Coriou accused Prince of copying 41 of his photographs. We’re told the catalog has since been shelved.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed October 5th, 2011, 00:07 GMT 

AndoDoug wrote:
Quote:

There is something about this whole thing that just seems like there must be more to it than we know yet. Gagosian Gallery is HUGE in the artworld. Gagosian has had an interesting past. Even saying that, I don't think anyone would wish to face two lawsuits about the same issue within a year. I could be wrong. But it doesn't make much sense.

I don't see how anyone like Gagosian or also John Elderfield (a Chief Curator of Painting at MoMA for many, many years and the person who conducted the interview with Dylan that appears in the catalog for the Asia Series show) could have looked at the paintings we've seen from the photos from the Gallery and not immediately realized that these were painted from photos - they have that 'Tell Tale' look. And then asked Dylan outright to comment on his process. And if they still had any doubts, not to do a search on their own before signing a contract to show this work. Doesn't make sense.

And it is beyond laughable that they could see this work, that we've seen so far, and believe that it was Dylan's own 'visual journal' and 'firsthand depictions of people, street scenes, architecture and landscape'. It doesn't make sense.

If they knew that this work was done directly from photos that were not Dylan's - and if they knew he had cleared the rights to use this work - why would the catalog state that it was Dylan's own 'Visual journal' and 'firsthand despictions...'? And what would they have seen in this work that would make it so interesting for a major Gallery to show? (I'm hoping it was something more than the 'charm' of the signature.)

I keep thinking there has to be something more to this. Otherwise it is incredibly stupid.

PostPosted: Wed October 5th, 2011, 00:50 GMT 
Promethium Member

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Hey!!! I imagined you were a guy not a girl!!!!! Funny how you imagine something and then believe it.... hahahaha cool!

Funny, you seem like someone that would imagine something and then believe it.

PostPosted: Wed October 5th, 2011, 01:40 GMT 

She's an Artist wrote:
There is something about this whole thing that just seems like there must be more to it than we know yet. Gagosian Gallery is HUGE in the artworld. Gagosian has had an interesting past. Even saying that, I don't think anyone would wish to face two lawsuits about the same issue within a year. I could be wrong. But it doesn't make much sense.

I don't see how anyone like Gagosian or also John Elderfield (a Chief Curator of Painting at MoMA for many, many years and the person who conducted the interview with Dylan that appears in the catalog for the Asia Series show) could have looked at the paintings we've seen from the photos from the Gallery and not immediately realized that these were painted from photos - they have that 'Tell Tale' look. And then asked Dylan outright to comment on his process. And if they still had any doubts, not to do a search on their own before signing a contract to show this work. Doesn't make sense.

And it is beyond laughable that they could see this work, that we've seen so far, and believe that it was Dylan's own 'visual journal' and 'firsthand depictions of people, street scenes, architecture and landscape'. It doesn't make sense.

If they knew that this work was done directly from photos that were not Dylan's - and if they knew he had cleared the rights to use this work - why would the catalog state that it was Dylan's own 'Visual journal' and 'firsthand despictions...'? And what would they have seen in this work that would make it so interesting for a major Gallery to show? (I'm hoping it was something more than the 'charm' of the signature.)

I keep thinking there has to be something more to this. Otherwise it is incredibly stupid.
Very perceptive post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 906 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 37  Next