Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon October 23rd, 2017, 04:31 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri July 2nd, 2010, 08:24 GMT 

Hi Im new to these forums so apologies if this is a repost. :) Im a fan with about 8 years and recently picked up this book. I personally find it a great resource for covers Bob has done and great to dip in and out of while listening to Bootlegs. Anybody else enjoy this book?

PostPosted: Fri July 2nd, 2010, 22:20 GMT 

Don't know the book you refer to, but welcome to Expecting Rain! :D

We're all fans here - Well most of us anyway. :roll:

I am especially in love with Bob's cover of Warren Zevon's "Mutineer" - Denver 2002 show to be exact but there are a few other equally impressive performances of that fine song in 2002. 8)

Just don't ask me about Bob's cover of Springsteen's "Dancing in the Dark". It must have been a drunken joke - yeah that's it. :roll: :!:

PostPosted: Fri July 2nd, 2010, 22:32 GMT 
*Senior Contributor*

zimmerman6767 wrote:
Hi Im new to these forums so apologies if this is a repost. :) Im a fan with about 8 years and recently picked up this book. I personally find it a great resource for covers Bob has done and great to dip in and out of while listening to Bootlegs. Anybody else enjoy this book?

Yes... I don't normally like books... but the book you are talking about sounds like a great book... really lovely... my poor, dead mother who has now passed-away into death used to say that "books maketh the man."... she used to also say that "the pen is mightier than the sword"... I do miss her since her unfortunate and deathly fatal accident... but upon reflection... she did talk a load of old cods-wallop at times.

PostPosted: Fri July 2nd, 2010, 22:36 GMT 
*Senior Contributor*

ShoreGirl wrote:
Don't know the book you refer to, but welcome to Expecting Rain! :D

I am especially in love with Bob's cover of Warren Zevon's "Mutineer" - Denver 2002 show to be exact but there are a few other equally impressive performances of that fine song in 2002. 8)

Well said, ShoreGirl... he did some marvellous covers of this song... and what a great song it is in it's own right.

Warren Zevon... what a great, great artist and song-writer he was... an under-sappreciated genius.

PostPosted: Sat July 3rd, 2010, 00:39 GMT 

zimmerman6767 wrote:
I personally find it a great resource for covers Bob has done and great to dip in and out of while listening to Bootlegs. Anybody else enjoy this book?

I think Derek Barker (editor of "Isis") did a great job collecting up the numerous covers Dylan's done over the years and providing a few facts about Dylan's performance and often a potted history of the song. I don't think people give him enough credit as an interpreter of other people's material.

PostPosted: Sat July 3rd, 2010, 02:49 GMT 
Promethium Member

I want to hear Dylan do an Arthur Baker arrangement of Dancing In the Dark in concert. Hearing Baker's mix of Dancing In the Dark and knowing he did such a good job on Dylan's mid 80s albums would make this a cover to remember. The last time he tried Dancing In the Dark it just kind of went flat.

PostPosted: Sun February 17th, 2013, 00:26 GMT 
Promethium Member

I love the book about Bob's covers, it is an excellent reference