Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat November 18th, 2017, 10:19 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed July 19th, 2017, 15:58 GMT 

Every time I try to post one I get either a message saying it´s too big or else one saying they couldn´t figure out it´s size.

I never had issues with this in other forums. you copy the link, click on image button and that´s it. :?

PostPosted: Wed July 19th, 2017, 17:25 GMT 
Titanium Member

^^ This one is fine, 'cos it's not more than 640 pixels wide, and not more than 480 pixels high. Anything outside these limits will not work. Always check your pic size afore postin' - and use a program like Irfanview to reduce the size if necessary (you'd need to save to your hard drive, then upload the reduced size pic in this event, not post a link).

The link for this pic is: https://www.biography.com/.image/c_fit% ... -7-raw.jpg

Dunno about the 'can't work out its size' problem - it's happened to me a few times, and I still haven't a clue why :shock:

PostPosted: Wed July 19th, 2017, 17:39 GMT 

supermabel1 wrote:

^^ This one is fine, 'cos it's not more than 640 pixels wide, and not more than 480 pixels high. Anything outside these limits will not work. Always check your pic size afore postin' - and use a program like Irfanview to reduce the size if necessary (you'd need to save to your hard drive, then upload the reduced size pic in this event, not post a link).

The link for this pic is: https://www.biography.com/.image/c_fit% ... -7-raw.jpg

Dunno about the 'can't work out its size' problem - it's happened to me a few times, and I still haven't a clue why :shock:

Thanks, Mabel.
I know there are resizers, but to use one means one extra step, which will often put off a lazy arse like me from posting it at all.

So I guess my humble request is, can we increase the acceptable size, since most pics seem to be too big

PostPosted: Wed July 19th, 2017, 18:08 GMT 
Senior Moderator

The size limits for pictures were introduced to prevent people from posting distractingly large pictures and making the site difficult to read and navigate. I don't think the size limit is severely restrictive, it offers ample opportunity for people to make their point or share something visually without overwhelming the discussion. I don't think it's a bad thing either that people might have to re-size or reconsider an image before posting.

As for other discussion forums, there are quite a few which don't allow or encourage the posting of images at all.

PostPosted: Wed July 19th, 2017, 18:17 GMT 
Mercury Member

I have found that making an image smaller doesn't seem to have a great deal of effect on the way it appears on ER (excepting of course that if it is too large it won't work) - images that seem small in my computers 'preview' look fine once they've been posted here.

What I don't understand is that there are times when I've wanted to post a picture as part of a discussion thread, but the option simply isn't there in the 'reply' section... this seems quite random but has happened a couple of times in the last week or so. Most of the time it is pretty simple.

EDIT - in fact I just tried to 'reply' to this post out of curiosity, and there is no 'add image file' option under the text box, and yet Supermabel has proved above that it is possible on this thread.... very strange. It happens regardless of browser (I'm using Chrome right now, but often use Safari).

PostPosted: Wed July 19th, 2017, 19:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

slimtimslide wrote:
I have found that making an image smaller doesn't seem to have a great deal of effect on the way it appears on ER (excepting of course that if it is too large it won't work) - images that seem small in my computers 'preview' look fine once they've been posted here.

What I don't understand is that there are times when I've wanted to post a picture as part of a discussion thread, but the option simply isn't there in the 'reply' section... this seems quite random but has happened a couple of times in the last week or so. Most of the time it is pretty simple.

EDIT - in fact I just tried to 'reply' to this post out of curiosity, and there is no 'add image file' option under the text box, and yet Supermabel has proved above that it is possible on this thread.... very strange. It happens regardless of browser (I'm using Chrome right now, but often use Safari).

Looks like that function's not available in this board, Tim. I used the 'Img' function to post a link. I'm using Chrome, too.

PostPosted: Wed July 19th, 2017, 19:27 GMT 

supermabel1 wrote:
slimtimslide wrote:

Looks like that function's not available in this board, Tim.

You see? I told you!! it´s all part of a high level plot to put down the little people, keep us from raising our voices!

Well, this will not stand! IT WILL NOT STAND!!

Charles, the people have spoken. We want a proper picture function. What are you gonna do about it? *c*cks rifle*

... Damnit, Tim, this is no time for a cheese fondue... Put that pot away and get your brass knuckles. For Christ´s sake, we´ve gone through this!!

PostPosted: Wed July 19th, 2017, 19:50 GMT 
Mercury Member

supermabel1 wrote:
Looks like that function's not available in this board, Tim. I used the 'Img' function to post a link. I'm using Chrome, too.

Mmmm - usually I get a box under the text box saying "add file" or something, and then I add the image I've uploaded.... not sure how to use the Img thang... does one need to have a URL for the pic, or wot? I'll have to swot up. I did have some new cheese images for a different thread, and they are getting a bit stinky.

But thanks for the tip!

PS - as I can't do it on this thread, I've posted a photo of the relevant box on the 'are we being watched by the government' thread....

PostPosted: Wed July 19th, 2017, 21:23 GMT 

I usually don't bother. I agree it is egregiously difficult on this forum.