Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed October 18th, 2017, 00:21 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Links open in new tabs
PostPosted: Mon December 28th, 2015, 11:03 GMT 
Site Owner

Links on this page will open in new tabs today.
Thanks to Gerbrand van der Vooren for the very simple tip.
Can you get used to it?

PostPosted: Mon December 28th, 2015, 12:31 GMT 
Titanium Member

I*'ll try.
Thank you Mr.Karl Erik :D & happy New Year !

PostPosted: Mon December 28th, 2015, 14:26 GMT 

Karl Erik,

Please do not do this. It does not serve any purpose. Anyone who wants to open a link in a new tab can do so by pushing the command-key while clicking the link. I am sure users of other operating systems will have a key for that as well. Opening links in new windows or tabs is against the Web Accessibility Content Guidelines (http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/), except when you have a good reason for it (e.g. providing information while filling in a form). Of course I am curious about why you want to do this...

Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon December 28th, 2015, 14:37 GMT 
Titanium Member

Ronald Lamars wrote:
Karl Erik,

Please do not do this. It does not serve any purpose. Anyone who wants to open a link in a new tab can do so by pushing the command-key while clicking the link. I am sure users of other operating systems will have a key for that as well. Opening links in new windows or tabs is against the Web Accessibility Content Guidelines (http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/), except when you have a good reason for it (e.g. providing information while filling in a form). Of course I am curious about why you want to do this...

Cheers.

What? Aren't the benefits of automatically opening in a new tab obvious - i.e you don't have to click ctrl+t or right click every single time you want to open a link? I find it really annoying having to right click every time I want to open a link, and I think it's brilliant news that Karl Erik is changing this. I'm astounded that anyone would have a problem with this.

Also, in terms of the 'Web Accessibility Content Guidelines', I can't think of a single major website that doesn't automatically open links in a new tab or window.

PostPosted: Mon December 28th, 2015, 14:39 GMT 

Still: what is the use of opening links in new tabs? Clutter your window?

PostPosted: Mon December 28th, 2015, 14:46 GMT 

This way suits me fine. Many thaks!

PostPosted: Mon December 28th, 2015, 14:49 GMT 
Titanium Member

Ronald Lamars wrote:

It's much more convient when you're halfway through reading a thread to open a link in a new tab so you can easily return to the place the thread where you were previously. Also, I would think most users currently will have 5 or 6 tabs open right now. I would think that tabbed browsing is the absolute status quo for virtually everyone these days. As for major websites, they open links in new tabs so you dont leave their website.

PostPosted: Mon December 28th, 2015, 20:58 GMT 

I mostly read expecting.rain on my iPad. Tapping the link shortly opens it in the same window. Holding the link half a second easily gives the possibility to open in a new tab, if I would wish so. So I prefer the old system that leaves me the choice. The new system obliges me to open and close a new tab, as I cannot choose any longer to open the link in the same window.

PostPosted: Mon December 28th, 2015, 20:58 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
Ronald Lamars wrote:

It's much more convient when you're halfway through reading a thread to open a link in a new tab so you can easily return to the place the thread where you were previously. Also, I would think most users currently will have 5 or 6 tabs open right now. I would think that tabbed browsing is the absolute status quo for virtually everyone these days. As for major websites, they open links in new tabs so you dont leave their website.

Well... Open a link in the same tab. Read, watch or listen to what you want. Hit the back button. Anyone who has accessibility issues will get lost with enforced tabbed browsing. That is my point. What 's a major website? If a 'major' website does not want you to leave it will offer enough goodies for you to stay. It is all about your own choices and nothing else.

PostPosted: Mon December 28th, 2015, 21:05 GMT 

I'm happy with it too, lost count of the times i've pressed the 'close' button instead of the 'back' one.

PostPosted: Tue December 29th, 2015, 10:42 GMT 
Site Owner

Yesterday we tried opening links in new tabs. Today it's back to normal. But if you would prefer the new tab way, just bookmark this:
http://expectingrain.com/newtab.shtml

PostPosted: Tue December 29th, 2015, 12:01 GMT 

Karl Erik wrote:
Yesterday we tried opening links in new tabs. Today it's back to normal. But if you would prefer the new tab way, just bookmark this:
http://expectingrain.com/newtab.shtml

Thanks, Karl Erik.

PostPosted: Wed December 30th, 2015, 22:11 GMT 

Personally, I love the tab option for convenience, so thanks for keeping that available for those of us who choose it. If you are still open to suggestions, however, I would only have the links to external sites open in new tabs. When I click on Discussion (or other things that keep me fully within ER), I actually don't like a new tab opening. Nevertheless, I still absolutely love the site and appreciate all that people do to keep it up and running so well.....grave