Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed July 23rd, 2014, 05:36 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon November 14th, 2011, 13:23 GMT 

Is it a minute? Sometimes it seems longer. I seem to spend a lot of time waiting around for the time to run down. If you press 'submit' does the time then reset?

PostPosted: Mon November 14th, 2011, 17:51 GMT 

Quote:
How long is it that you have to wait between each post?

Too long. :D

PostPosted: Mon November 14th, 2011, 18:04 GMT 

how long is too long? (whoops, mods please place this post in the 'things that sound dirty but aren't thread)

PostPosted: Mon November 14th, 2011, 18:49 GMT 

Why is there a limit in the first place? Spam worries? Wouldn't it be more user-friendly to implement some sort of captcha mechanism (annoying as they are) for posts within two minutes of each other? Although I realise that might a bitch to program.

PostPosted: Tue November 15th, 2011, 08:55 GMT 
*Senior Contributor*

In essence, time is just a state of mind... time is not tangible, you cannot touch it, or lick it... time is just a concept... per se, a theory. As such, time cannot be too long, or too short as in reality, time does not exist... it is paradoxical to think otherwise.

So, the problem is not how long you have to wait between posts, but how you percieve the speed of time passing.

It is up to you, your responsibility, to reduce your inner-metabolism to a rate in harmony with the delay between posts... it is you who, ultimately, controls time... and as time is pliable, you can mould it to suit you... you do not need Moderators to do it for you.

In all honesty, the Moderators are very busy people... and they should not have to worry about such issues... they have to watch out for folks swearing at each other, and being rude to each other... they are not timelords!

PostPosted: Tue November 15th, 2011, 15:32 GMT 

thickboy wrote:
In essence, time is just a state of mind... time is not tangible, you cannot touch it, or lick it... time is just a concept... per se, a theory. As such, time cannot be too long, or too short as in reality, time does not exist... it is paradoxical to think otherwise.

So, the problem is not how long you have to wait between posts, but how you percieve the speed of time passing.

It is up to you, your responsibility, to reduce your inner-metabolism to a rate in harmony with the delay between posts... it is you who, ultimately, controls time... and as time is pliable, you can mould it to suit you... you do not need Moderators to do it for you.

In all honesty, the Moderators are very busy people... and they should not have to worry about such issues... they have to watch out for folks swearing at each other, and being rude to each other... they are not timelords!

Perhaps, but we are not mere solitary buoys floating across the ocean of space, bending time according to our whims. We are nodes in a web. The time of the other is inter-dependent with my time and your time and the time of the hypothetical Third. If I choose to modulate time in a certain way, say I jaywalk, your time is affected by it, as you - sitting in the car - have to swerve onto the kerb, crash into a lamppost and spend the next two months in a hospital. I might even terminate your time altogether.

Therefore the Moderator has the power to alter my time. Indeed, it is the duty of such a senior position to teach and guide us in our own time-bending ways. Without such a duty, any old barmpot could be a Moderator.

For me to shift the gears of my time would require Herculian efforts. The Moderators, by virtue of their sheer talent and ability, can do this almost naturally. To change time for us, humble users, is a minor distraction from a demanding task such as subjectively pondering and deliberating whether a particular collection of letters constitutes an offensive term, whether this offensive term was intended to be offensive and, finally, whether offence was indeed caused.

PostPosted: Tue November 15th, 2011, 17:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

thickboy wrote:

Bravo and Excelsior, sir!

To me the delay seems to be about 2 and a half sips of coffee, a fine toothed proofread, an additional thought or a surf over to the rare recording sessions or tour discussion threads. it's also the single reason the 1 million thread topic hasn't passed up every other thread on ER yet. time is a jet, plain and simple.

PostPosted: Tue November 15th, 2011, 17:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

Cipher_Pipe wrote:
thickboy wrote:

Perhaps, but we are not mere solitary buoys floating across the ocean of space, bending time according to our whims. We are nodes in a web. The time of the other is inter-dependent with my time and your time and the time of the hypothetical Third. If I choose to modulate time in a certain way, say I jaywalk, your time is affected by it, as you - sitting in the car - have to swerve onto the kerb, crash into a lamppost and spend the next two months in a hospital. I might even terminate your time altogether.

Therefore the Moderator has the power to alter my time. Indeed, it is the duty of such a senior position to teach and guide us in our own time-bending ways. Without such a duty, any old barmpot could be a Moderator.

For me to shift the gears of my time would require Herculian efforts. The Moderators, by virtue of their sheer talent and ability, can do this almost naturally. To change time for us, humble users, is a minor distraction from a demanding task such as subjectively pondering and deliberating whether a particular collection of letters constitutes an offensive term, whether this offensive term was intended to be offensive and, finally, whether offence was indeed caused.

Cipher - are you gearing toward becoming an esteemed moderator yourself? 8)

and thickboy - once again, you've explained everything precisely and concisely, as you always do. Thank you, sir!
doomed

PostPosted: Tue November 15th, 2011, 18:23 GMT 
Site Owner

Try 90 seconds.

PostPosted: Tue November 15th, 2011, 20:02 GMT 

doomedtoloveyou wrote:

Lord no: I'd ban half the place, starting with myself, if that ever came to be. I just appreciate their contribution. Posts always seem to hold more gravitas if there is a green or, god forbid, purple user name attached to them. And if the name is pink/orange/whatever-it-is, it is like receiving communication from divinity.

I would even reply to Karl Erik up there but I am simply too afraid and his words too cryptic.

PostPosted: Tue November 15th, 2011, 22:32 GMT 
Titanium Member

Cipher_Pipe wrote:
doomedtoloveyou wrote:

Lord no: I'd ban half the place, starting with myself, if that ever came to be. I just appreciate their contribution. Posts always seem to hold more gravitas if there is a green or, god forbid, purple user name attached to them. And if the name is pink/orange/whatever-it-is, it is like receiving communication from divinity.

I would even reply to Karl Erik up there but I am simply too afraid and his words too cryptic.

I know what you mean - after I had posted before, I looked in without logging on and saw that he had responded and thought, "OH Crap! :shock: I've done something wrong!" Like being called to the principal's office - I was so relieved when I read his post, though. Yes, the mods do great - I can't imagine anyone not liking any of the ones we have - (and I think you would make a great one too!)
doomed

PostPosted: Tue November 15th, 2011, 23:29 GMT 
*Senior Contributor*

Karl Erik wrote:
Try 90 seconds.

This is a great suggestion... I have started doing 90 seconds 'running on the spot' between each post... and I feel much better for it, although I do tend to lose a lot of beer... it goes everywhere!

PostPosted: Wed November 16th, 2011, 01:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

Each post has to be read and approved by the moderator on duty, during busy times the dalay may seem excessive. I suggest you make a cup of tea.

PostPosted: Wed November 16th, 2011, 06:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

oldmanemu wrote:
Each post has to be read and approved by the moderator on duty, during busy times the dalay may seem excessive. I suggest you make a cup of tea.

untrue, that's just for new posters

PostPosted: Wed November 16th, 2011, 12:10 GMT 
Promethium Member

tellmemomma1966 wrote:
oldmanemu wrote:

untrue, that's just for new posters

Well then why does it happen ?

PostPosted: Wed November 16th, 2011, 12:20 GMT 

oldmanemu wrote:
Well then why does it happen ?

I suspect it is to limit spammers. And to encourage people to use the edit function rather than make another post.

PostPosted: Wed November 16th, 2011, 13:16 GMT 

If I post something on a thread or start a new topic, it shows up immediately, but I remember when I was very new here, any topic I started had to be approved.

PostPosted: Wed November 16th, 2011, 13:32 GMT 
*Senior Contributor*

fanniefarkle wrote:
If I post something on a thread or start a new topic, it shows up immediately, but I remember when I was very new here, any topic I started had to be approved.

That's because we were wary about you... I had a hunch that you intended to be disrespectful to the good folk on here, so I immediately alerted the authorities and advised them of my concerns.

They promptly and covertly started to monitor your posting activity... carefully scanning each and every message for signs of disrespectfulnesslessness... they found none.

I now readily admit that I was wrong about you... you are not disrespectful... you may call yourself 'fanniefarkle'... but in my book, you are now 'fanniesparkle' a glittering, twinkling star... a credit to this forum.

PostPosted: Wed November 16th, 2011, 14:03 GMT 

Thank you, TB. I feel very honored, but I won't let it go to my head. I will stay true to myself. You've made my day. :D

PostPosted: Wed December 7th, 2011, 16:38 GMT 

I am sorry to revive a moulding thread but I was just wondering: why are PMs included in the 90-second time limit?

PostPosted: Wed December 7th, 2011, 22:46 GMT 
Promethium Member

Cipher_Pipe wrote:
I am sorry to revive a moulding thread but I was just wondering: why are PMs included in the 90-second time limit?

because they are regarded as posts.

PostPosted: Thu December 8th, 2011, 16:09 GMT 

oldmanemu wrote:
Cipher_Pipe wrote:

because they are regarded as posts.

Can't there be an exception made?

PostPosted: Thu December 8th, 2011, 22:31 GMT 
Promethium Member

Certainly not.

PostPosted: Thu December 8th, 2011, 22:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

hey oldman sorry i didn't see this until now

it's exactly what was suggested....we can catch spammers easily when every user's first few posts have to be read and approved. for non spammers it hardly ever gets in the way.

btw there is a LOT of spam that y'all don't see because the mod team takes care of it.

PostPosted: Fri December 9th, 2011, 11:39 GMT 

oldmanemu wrote:
Certainly not.

Thank you.