Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon April 21st, 2014, 14:53 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: malware
PostPosted: Tue March 29th, 2011, 00:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

sometimes when i click on links in er (either to outside websites or to other er forums) the pages get blocked saying that there's a huge risk ill get a virus if i go there...has anyone else had this problem?

Post subject: Re: malware
PostPosted: Tue March 29th, 2011, 02:25 GMT 

Yes, actually. In the "Music Jokes" thread in Off Topic, my computer claims that there's a big virus waiting for me on that page. Strange, it's the only time I've ever experienced anything like it here.

PostPosted: Tue March 29th, 2011, 02:54 GMT 
Mercury Member

Location: Probably killing time in a supermarket while sig. other compares organic fruits
You even get it going to other ER forums? That's awfully weird. I don't recall ever having a problem with a link from the front page or posted by members in the forums.

PostPosted: Tue March 29th, 2011, 09:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

Different users will have different experiences - depending on what anti-malware software they use. I've had warnings from McAfee when clicking on - very occasional - front page links, whereas people using other anti-malware programs had no warnings. If your anti-malware is worried, you should at least be cautious! :shock: Investigate before proceeding.

EDIT: McAfee is perfectly relaxed about the Music Jokes thread - McAfee obviously has no bad joke detection capability. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed May 18th, 2011, 07:53 GMT 

What the difference between malware/spyware and the like? Can someone define malware, spyware and viruses/trojans? What do they do? And why do some people take the time to create these stupid things?

PostPosted: Wed May 18th, 2011, 13:40 GMT 
Promethium Member

leadyoxy wrote:
What the difference between malware/spyware and the like? Can someone define malware, spyware and viruses/trojans? What do they do? And why do some people take the time to create these stupid things?

because there is a large grouput there working to bring down the internet as it is right now.

PostPosted: Thu May 19th, 2011, 11:42 GMT 

Location: Lower Slobbovia, Slob Nobbin' with the common Bob Slobs
tellmemomma1966 wrote:
sometimes when i click on links in er (either to outside websites or to other er forums) the pages get blocked saying that there's a huge risk ill get a virus if i go there...has anyone else had this problem?

This happened to me yesterday on here when I clicked on a link that was supposed to be a musical gift for another member that she could download if she wanted. I just got out of that site immediately as soon as I got the warning.

PostPosted: Sat September 17th, 2011, 13:00 GMT 

leadyoxy wrote:

I'd like to figure this out too...In fact i'll make a new topic in Off Topic...