Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat October 21st, 2017, 19:35 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 01:11 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'm reposting a thread in regard to this issue since I think it is important and needs to be addressed. I understand the reasoning behind eliminating the edit but unfortunately, in the Rare Recordings Forum, it is more than just an inconvenience. In the last couple of weeks it has wreaked confusion in the threads. It is important for these threads to remain accurate and up to date, and very often it is necessary to amend or replace links and/or other relevent information. This is now impossible and is creating lots of confusion, especially when the search function comes up with an expired or incorrect link and it needs to be replaced by the author. Inserting a new link or even starting a new thread with the new link just creates more confusion. It is also cluttering the threads, to say the least. Can something be done about this? I thank you in advance for your consideration of this problem.

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 06:50 GMT 
Site Admin

- Edits do not trigger e-mail notification. Mailboxes would be full of notifications after people edit minor details.

Quote:
We're only talking about allowing the original author of a post to edit more or less indefinitely.

- Even the first post in a topic can be altered to make the following ones lose their meaning. Same with a pot mid-topic.

- When things are posted in different posts, it makes the timeline visible.

- Making topic starters able to alter their posts, but not others, is not possible in the standard software.

- The A-Z authors (there are 4) have been given restricted moderator rights, valid only in that particular forum, to be able to edit their posts. This is of course possible to do in other forums too, if there are a certain few whome people agree do the contribution.

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 08:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

Mad Cow wrote:
Quote:
Even the first post in a topic can be altered to make the following ones lose their meaning. Same with a pot mid-topic.

First of all, we're talking about the Rare Recordings forum, not general discussion. Granted what you say might occur in the General Discussion forums but the Rare Recordings forum is very specific.The first post is the posting of links and what follows is generally thank yous and sometimes brief comments about certain aspects of the performance. The only altering that has been done in the past has been by the original poster and it involved the insertion of new or corrected links or information.

I also understand that the software has certain limitations. Would it be possible to return the edit function to the Rare Recordings forum on a "trial" basis. The idea of allowing certain people to edit is tricky. Although there seem to be a few who are responsible for many of the posts, this is constantly changing as more people become familiar with the mechanics involved.

Anyhow, maybe there are some other ideas, but for those of us who post links on a regular basis this has become a definite problem. It's important for the information in the posts to be accurate and up to date.

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 10:46 GMT 
Site Admin

No, it is not possible to turn on the edit function for only one particular forum.

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 14:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

This whole thing is a non-issue.

Regarding the rare recording section, I don't see why the inability to edit old posts would create an obstacle for anyone.

If a person wants to update a link in a thread, they should simply create a new post with that updated link and post it. If the original post has many links, then copy the whole thing into a new post. This will serve to bump the thread after updating a link, which is a good thing.

The thread format is perfect for this stuff. Common sense will tell people that the newest post is the updated post. The only real difference is that the relevant post won't have "Edited 75 times by ... " at the bottom.

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 14:29 GMT 

Yes sir! You're right especially since edits don't trigger notifications. For me it was just a passing irritant. I'm cured and joining the fold. It's all good -- Bob Dylan said that.

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 19:53 GMT 

em ... someone standing alone in the doorway ... okay, the posts may not appear again on top, but people who need to alter links in old posts that are not that old should/could be able to do so. people use the search function and i must say the latest search functions don't operate as well on phpbb3 or smf (2 popular forum softwares being used) that the older threads don't show up while they should etc etc ... i wonder if expectingrain is interested in my database of BD concerts. no problem to me to share it, and one could use that to enter download available details ... downside ... any idiot may enter links unrelated to what we're writing about ... i just don't wanna be put down as someone who hasn't voiced his opinion on the issue ... i'm a code writer as well, you know ... i think one could with a if ... elseif function exclude the Rare Recordings Forum from the editing ... yes, i think it's possible (that word must be expressed french ways). ... did you ever check doodle.downintheflood.com ... i got an exprectingrain layout running with it and i could even test it there. don't even dare to register ... that forum's ... what's the best swear word around(?) ... oh, i remember Lucy and me walking to the Lake in the early hours of the morning in the lated 80s when Infidels had been released. she was just 3 years old and she told me that she mustn't say 'fffffffffffffffffff' ... well, i didn't think this young girl in her 'new suit' (her pyjamas) knew that word ... but she did and pronounced it the exact way her father did. her father and me were born the exact same day ... now she's a schoolteacher ... i wonder if she teaches the meaning and purpose of swearwords ... haha ... i drifted ... but i just had an email from someone on a dark 'n' lonesome road so here's my cake and you can't eat it too, which reminds me of a Mr Horwitz many years ago ... very funny person, he explained t me the meaning of 'You can't have your cake 'n' eat it too' ... lovely ... anyway ... where's the editing function now? ... and i remember some people asking about a chat/shoutbox function ... did i say or write enough now? ... hm ... just come home from my weeekend supper, special treat, special wine ... and here's a clue for the unemployed and forlorn: i got this idea about a book named 'Pram Stories' my book will be in german ... it's about what children in prams would write if they were much older looking back at life in a pram ...

yours truly
TomPaine & JoJo (ain't these the same? ain't that a shame? great song from the John Lennon Rock'n'Roll album ... who'd e thought a that?)

PostPosted: Thu May 14th, 2009, 20:23 GMT 

Quote:
Yes sir!

a cow is a she: Yes ma'm! 8)

PostPosted: Fri May 15th, 2009, 04:51 GMT 

Interesting post Tom Paine.... Re “Yes sir": a cow is indeed a she, but a Three Legged Man is, I believe, a Sir(he).

PostPosted: Fri May 15th, 2009, 08:04 GMT 

sorry, crackerboy, i didn't notice who you answered to through the winey haze ... don't feel so cured, sometimes if one searches for a thing and the links are dead someone posts usually "could someone repost this", then the thread is up front again and could be edited, and the editor could state "new links added" as it was done in the past. see that url in your browser window? there's a variable named f= followed by a number ... just out of my head, using this phpbb3 mod probably one could make a change in the function.php file to read if ( !$f == 9 ) { HERE THE WHOLE FUNCTION } (the number stands for the forum in question). basically this means if the forum is not 9 allow editing ... nice, hey? you should join the coders union now ... tom.paine

PostPosted: Mon November 16th, 2009, 03:10 GMT 
Gene - there is a time limit on editing your own posts. It is currently set to 4 days. We figure that is plenty of time to get it right. The reasoning behind not allowing editing forever is that someone could back months or even years later and completely change the meaning and flow of a thread.

If you need to have a post editied and a follow-on post wont suffice, most any moderator will do it for you.

PostPosted: Mon November 16th, 2009, 03:28 GMT 
Titanium Member

I believe the time limit is 30 minutes. 4 days would be great but that hasn't been my experience.