Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed February 21st, 2018, 19:19 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bob's Best One-Two Punch
PostPosted: Sat January 20th, 2018, 08:23 GMT 

My vote is for "Crash on the Levee" and "Senor," circa 1995.

Both songs are great lyrically, and the rockin' "Crash..." followed by the subdued "Senor," really make a fine start to a show.

PostPosted: Sat January 20th, 2018, 08:48 GMT 

Wow Don, beyond any peradventure, the evidence establishes hope that the dead
come when dog moon calls xxx woof :D

PostPosted: Sat January 20th, 2018, 09:45 GMT 
Titanium Member

Lakeland 1976. Beautiful acoustic Visions of Johanna to start things, followed by the bitter If You See Her Say Hello rewrite.

PostPosted: Sat January 20th, 2018, 11:57 GMT 

Don wrote:

Both songs are great lyrically, and the rockin' "Crash..." followed by the subdued "Senor," really make a fine start to a show.

That double whammy was of course particularly effective due to the fact that Dylan performed both songs minus his guitar, meaning he could pay more attention to his singing and harmonica playing. My favourite opening salvo from that tour was 'Levee' followed by 'If You See Her, Say Hello' from the second night at Brixton, but every show I saw started brilliantly. Those crunching opening chords and the sight of Dylan holding the microphone was so damn exciting: you could sense something special was about to happen, and - night after night - it did.

PostPosted: Sat January 20th, 2018, 12:07 GMT 

I saw him do Desolation Row followed by It's Alright, Ma at a show in Dublin, 6th May 2009. I remember thinking at the time that it was a pretty sweet one-two punch. Two of his most epic and lyrically brilliant songs back to back.

PostPosted: Mon January 22nd, 2018, 06:29 GMT 

littlemaggie wrote:
Don wrote:

That double whammy was of course particularly effective due to the fact that Dylan performed both songs minus his guitar, meaning he could pay more attention to his singing and harmonica playing. My favourite opening salvo from that tour was 'Levee' followed by 'If You See Her, Say Hello' from the second night at Brixton, but every show I saw started brilliantly. Those crunching opening chords and the sight of Dylan holding the microphone was so damn exciting: you could sense something special was about to happen, and - night after night - it did.

Yeah, Bob's harp really adds to those numbers. "If You See Her..." is a good follow-up also.

PostPosted: Mon January 22nd, 2018, 12:12 GMT 

I believe early 00s are my favortie. starting with a traditional song, e.g. Hallelujah I'm ready to Go, followed by one of his "classics" like Song to Woody, Tambourine or My Back Pages. What I really like about it is that the first song is a short one. I also dig "Gonna Change My Way of Thinking" but I guess it's too long for a first song.

1995 was great, too! 1996 with Drifter's Escape or Pill-Box, too, followed by If You See Her or even better with Pretty Peggy-O or Shake Sugaree (I believe he did that in Frankfurt and Berlin 1996!)

PostPosted: Wed February 21st, 2018, 14:29 GMT 

Opening with the semi-acoustic "Hard Times" in summer 1993 - even at outdoor places. A strange and wonderful choice. Then kicking on electricity with "Stuck Inside of Mobile" ...