Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat May 26th, 2018, 08:14 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Grateful for 2017 Tour
PostPosted: Thu November 30th, 2017, 01:53 GMT 

Hi, I am new on here.

I don't go to many Bob Dylan shows, only because I don't have the time or the money. But I have always kept up an interest in his music, since as a very young child I spent a lot of time drawing all over my Dad's Bob Dylan sheet music and records with markers, biros and anything I could get my hands on really. Oh, and the Peter, Paul and Mary records were great for colouring in too.

So, I wanted to post this story on here. Some of the Bob Dylan aficionados amongst you might be reaching for the sick bucket just now, well sorry. But I have to get this story written down somewhere.

My Dad played the harmonica and guitar to us all time as children; the Bob Dylan 60's folk songs, sometimes the odd Rolling Stones song (As tears go by), Harry Belafonte and especially Pete Seeger songs, amongst lots of others. We all had to go to music school and learn an instrument and music was discussed all the time in our house. But as the years went by, we grew up, we went to University, got jobs, moved away, had our own families, and we played and talked about music much less. Then not at all.

In recent years my Dad developed a serious problem with his eyesight. He has very poor hearing too. Sadly by spring this year he was almost blind. So sad because, though in his 80's, he was a very very fit and active man; cycling everywhere, travelling abroad on sun holidays, tending his garden, having a great time. And then suddenly his world became very restricted. To the point that he was getting withdrawn, not wanting to talk to anyone, sitting in his bedroom alone, getting seriously cranky and depressed. He could neither see or hear anymore.

Then I went to see Dylan and his band play in Dublin this year. OK, so the stage was pitch dark, the norm I hear! The sound at our seating was dismal, really muffled, so overall not ideal at all. But I still really enjoyed the music. I would have preferred better sound, but I know that the O2 in Dublin has the most awful sound and I was prepared to put up with that. Wish I didn't have to, but well.

We went home buzzing with the music. I decided OK that's it, I spent years going to those bloody classical guitar classes, I am going to get that guitar out of it's hard case (been there for 30+ years with same strings), see what it's like and start playing again for myself. My guitar was perfect by the way, once new strings were bought.

And I started talking to my Dad again about music. We got his guitar out and put new strings on that too, he even found the old harmonica, which I had forgotten that he played. He can feel the strings and frets, he can hear enough to hear the guitar and he is singing as beautifully as he ever did, not the same range but soft and gentle and so much feeling in his voice. His harmonica playing is simple and gorgeous.

His mood has really improved over the last 6 months. He does still sit away from people a bit now but he is brighter, getting out and about again, and not avoiding social occasions completely now. He always brings his guitar and we are treated to the most beautiful music that he has ever made. Well I think it is beautiful because he is my DAD!

I bought him a new small travel guitar, which he is going to take away on his next trip to the sun. He found some of his old sheet music and gave that to me. I have my Dad's pristine copy of 'Blowing in the Wind' sheet music from the 60's now. How did I not get my biro on that one?

So I am really happy I went to the show in Dublin this year. I can't imagine if I hadn't. I was thinking of not going because it was in the O2. But if I hadn't gone to that show, we possibly could all be sitting around upset and depressed, Dad going further downhill. But now Dad has a new lease of life and we all have a shared interest in music with him again. All those music lessons years ago have paid off for everyone. We had a family BarBQ in the Autumn and we all played something; my Dad his guitar and harmonica, I played the only Classical guitar piece I can remember, my sister played the Violin, my Brother sang and my Brother-in-law played his tin whistle.

So this is a big Thank you to Mr. Bob Dylan and his Band for inspiring me to encourage my Dad to play music again.

(PS my Dad never got over Dylan going electric, still grumbles about it. I was too small (not even born then) to argue with him about it but we are arguing about this now. Ridiculous. Ha, Ha!!)

PostPosted: Thu November 30th, 2017, 07:51 GMT 

I mean the 3 Arena Dublin, not O2.

PostPosted: Thu November 30th, 2017, 22:17 GMT 

Hey!!!!

Wonderful story, pal. I enjoyed it, really!!

The Universe bless you and your dad, as well.

For music there is no limit. Like arts and love. Bobby is one on the line of the ages on this earth.

Beautiful! Best wishes, Matt.

PostPosted: Thu November 30th, 2017, 22:22 GMT 
Promethium Member

Changing the old ‘Jerry Saves’ bumper sticker to ‘Bob Saves’ today.

PostPosted: Fri December 1st, 2017, 01:25 GMT 

Caught Lady Gaga at the O2 once. Can confirm on both sides that the sound is horrible in the venue. Didn't realize how sensitive my poor little ears were until they rang for days after. I realized not worth it to put up with that particular venue ever again. There s way better around anyhow like olympia that are safe (on the ears) with cozy accoustics that really can accommodate the tunes.

In spite of the sound there, really happy for your dad!!! to be able to hear through all the unnecessary nonsense in the arena and get real with his love in the music again! Beautiful to believe! Nice to share.and a good news story :)

PostPosted: Fri December 1st, 2017, 05:18 GMT 
Promethium Member

Great story, thank you!

PostPosted: Wed December 6th, 2017, 01:00 GMT 

Thank you Matt, Barefoot, Damsel and Smoke for your kind replies!

I was anxious about posting anything on this site, you are all so knowledgeable. Until this year I did not know very much about Bob Dylan for example. I saw a post on here earlier in the year, asking 'Where have all the tapers gone'. For a day I dreamily wondered 'Why were there Tapirs at a Bob Dylan show? Were they on the stage, in the audience?'

A Tapir is an endangered herbivorous mammal. Lovely big creature. I work night shifts and with animals so that's a bit of an excuse, maybe. But now I am listening to odd 'taped' show. Amazing!

PostPosted: Wed December 6th, 2017, 08:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

Hey Alone,

Having spent time with both Tapirs and Tapers, I can
totally see where you’re coming from.

Yes, Welcome to ER!

PostPosted: Wed December 6th, 2017, 13:49 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Hey Alone,

Having spent time with both Tapirs and Tapers, I can
totally see where you’re coming from.

Yes, Welcome to ER!

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed December 6th, 2017, 18:47 GMT 

Tapirs are undoubtedly better company than tapers who are kind of neurotic and self-important.
However, Tapirs leave you will big piles of poop, while tapers leave you with priceless documents to be cherished and gathered.
I have never been compelled to cherish and gather the poop of large herbivorous mammals, at least not yet.

Welcome to the board and thank you for your story!

PostPosted: Fri December 22nd, 2017, 15:46 GMT 

Beautiful story!