Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun January 21st, 2018, 20:39 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon November 27th, 2017, 07:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

i guess now i must post something about an instagram post from immediately after the last show that appears to have been removed by the poster on instagram?

just so this strange bit of bob-history can grow in context?

or is it unfair to assume a pattern, that is 'correlation does not imply causation' as they say?

well guess what, (did anyone else here see that instagram short video?)---

bob got heckled himself last night as he briefly entered the vehicle to leave with a guard accompanying him. it was rather stupid and rather loudly shrill by a disconcerted lady who was unhappy with the concert but a couple of other calm guys drowned her out and kept saying thanks bob thanks bob (maybe fans maybe paparazzis with no hope of photographing our man of mystery :lol: so appreciative they countered her)

so there are no more public statements on this need be said by me except as with Mavis in her moment of grace demonstrated to us,
i felt i may have understood just a tiny bit more - and no business to others of how bob may have internally processed this moment,
but as an external observer to a brief depiction of it, i felt wow. around the corner from his old friend's place. my g-od. praise j-sus have mercy on us. hail those who today and those who forevermore make a stand. we are so blessed.

August 30 1972 Madison Square Garden https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_tw_gz9wQc

PostPosted: Mon November 27th, 2017, 16:26 GMT 

[quote]
I think I would have smacked that guy’s lips against his teeth if I could have reached his face. I would have been tossed. (And beat up)./quote]

Funny thing about sad scenes cast and true colours shown is how people behave in the moment. (Not thinking over it all the next day) Some visitors are nice and some are nasty. As a receiver of occasional ugliness, my advice is
Speak out if you can, but other than that, better to just wear a mask and power through When the taxi driver last night expressed the possible empathy that the Holocaust perhaps didn't happen!? (which I believe is illegal in France), I wear my best poker mask secretly observing Google maps on my lap as we traced down dark back roads past many possible bad scenes . But thankfully -made it somehow!now, had my dear sweet and dirty life not been in a possible danger ( never know in this end of times Weinstein mass killing climate)
And looking back this morning, now I can say it, of course the Holocaust f in happened!!! What the f !??some people are so nasty...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CFFS3ndWSJ4
Someone shoulda paid a fiver to burn that true coloured racist right on stage !!! God bless Mavis

A woman walked by and said 'I thought you were supposed to give up smoking' how did she know?
Time to vacuum the car and ditch the burner too :lol:

PostPosted: Mon November 27th, 2017, 17:13 GMT 

Another old timer here. Mostly disappointed in the crowd. Back in my day, that guy would’ve been stomped before security had a chance to turn their flashlights on. Forget getting tossed out of the concert too...I would’ve happily taken a night in jail. What has happened to Bob Dylan fans that this guy DIDN’T end up in the hospital?

PostPosted: Mon November 27th, 2017, 18:57 GMT 

Beets14beets wrote:
Another old timer here. Mostly disappointed in the crowd. Back in my day, that guy would’ve been stomped before security had a chance to turn their flashlights on. Forget getting tossed out of the concert too...I would’ve happily taken a night in jail. What has happened to Bob Dylan fans that this guy DIDN’T end up in the hospital?

this is not the first post in this thread advocating violence, quite appalling actually

I would guess Mavis would not approve of this, given the lyrics of one of the songs on her new excellent album

"We Go High"

We go high
When they go low
I know they don't know
What they're doing
When they tell their lies
Spread around rumors
I know they're still human
And they need my love

Gonna stand side by side
Our hearts in command
Love as our guide

PostPosted: Mon November 27th, 2017, 19:08 GMT 

I was kind of thinking the same thing... should we really resort to violence? I think it’s a good reflection when people remain at peace. But yeah he should have been tossed immediately.

And, back in my day? What day was that? Back in a lot of those days there were more racists then than now.

PostPosted: Mon November 27th, 2017, 19:10 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Here are two tweets I just found from @HerRoyalKateness in reply to @BeaconTheatre and @Wildaboutmusic 11/27/17 120p
Quote:
Yeah who was that obnoxious luring chick screaming her head off about wanting her money back and how she didn't recognize one song as Bobby exited the last show on Amsterdam Ave. I quietly held up a 3'x2' pic of my face. I loved Bob Dylan at the beacon.

Luring=Irish. Auto correct.

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 10:45 GMT 

I’ve been listening to Mavis/Staples Singers for ages, they are a regular part of the playlist in my household. Mavis is clearly a genuinely sweet and likeable person. She obviously loves Bob and speaks so kindly of him even as her dream of an onstage duet goes unrealized.

If I were standing down front during Mavis’s set and a man, presumably representing my own race, were to say anything half as disgusting as this guy did—repeating it JUST to make sure Mavis heard it—I would feel as if it were my own (black) mother was under attack. My response would probably be guided by emotion more than intellect, but...shit, guys, at some level that’s just how life works. Maybe we’ve kinda lost touch with that in our stampede toward civility.

I would’ve beat the shit out of him. Sorry if that makes me a bad guy.

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 11:37 GMT 
Promethium Member

"Nonviolence is a powerful and just weapon. Indeed, it is a weapon unique in history, which cuts without wounding and ennobles the man who wields it."

— Martin Luther King, Jr., The Quest for Peace and Justice (1964)
from Martin Luther King's Nobel Lecture, delivered in the Auditorium of the University of Oslo, December 11, 1964

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 12:14 GMT 

however,
nonviolence DOES NOT EQUAL nonaction

some more mlk quotes:

the time comes when silence is betrayal

in the end we remember not
the words of our enemies
but
the SILENCE of our friends

a man dies when he refuses to stand up for that which is right
a man dies when he refuses to stand up for justice
a man dies when he refuses to take a stand for that which is true

PostPosted: Tue November 28th, 2017, 12:38 GMT 
Promethium Member

Yup.

You may never know what results come of your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 00:49 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I wanted to give update on my dealings with Beacon theatre people. Despite them saying they wanted to talk to me in detail, they did not call. I will email once more - maybe they’ve gotten a lot of emails/calls and are working on how to reply? I will not give up, till I hear they have a plan in place to immediately eject anyone who does such a horrible thing again, and to do whatever they can to make sure that such a person can never return to the theatre. It seems like saying that to someone should be grounds to be arrested, too.

PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 01:03 GMT 

Anything But A Roll wrote:
I wanted to give update on my dealings with Beacon theatre people. Despite them saying they wanted to talk to me in detail, they did not call. I will email once more - maybe they’ve gotten a lot of emails/calls and are working on how to reply? I will not give up, till I hear they have a plan in place to immediately eject anyone who does such a horrible thing again, and to do whatever they can to make sure that such a person can never return to the theatre. It seems like saying that to someone should be grounds to be arrested, too.

you are amazing. thank you for this, your dedication and commitment is admirable to say the least.

PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 05:16 GMT 

I agree on the non-violence angle but, speaking for myself, I don't think I am stoic and Christ-like enough to have refrained from not at least screaming at this man to get the hell out of the theatre. Sorry if that makes me a bad person, it's just that my brain makeup forces my anger to boil and consequently compels me to act when seeing something like this happen; it compels me to degrade myself in defence of an angel like Mavis.

@Anything But A Roll: Good on you!

PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 15:46 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Here’s the email I sent to GuestRelations@msg.com just now:

Good morning Zarie-

On November 25, you requested my phone number which I emailed to you on that date with my hours of availability . You said you wanted to discuss with me in more detail the horrendous incident that occurred at your theatre to Mavis Staples one week ago today.

I have not heard from you, or anyone else in your organization.

My request to Beacon Theatre/MSG is that a statement appear on their website, Facebook page, and any other Beacon Theatre/MSG social media platform with a full description of the incident, an explanation of how it was handled, or not handled, how any further similar racial attacks will be dealt with in the future, i.e. immediate ejection of the offender, and banishment forever of attendance at a show at the Beacon Theatre. Finally, I would like an apology to Mavis Staples be posted on all Beacon Theatre sites, and that management issue a personal apology to Ms Staples, an icon for civil rights her entire life, who was subjected to deplorable treatment as a performer at your establishment.

Those are my “details”.

Please advise the action you will be taking. This incident is your responsibility to address.

PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 18:21 GMT 

I wrote and called when it happened. I wrote numerous times. Nothing.
Also, supposedly the idiot was ejected from the theater during Bob. The venue can easily access all tickets and who bought them. The beacon only had to see the person’s seat and they could easily find out they guys name and other details. Then ban the idiot from future shows.

PostPosted: Wed November 29th, 2017, 18:57 GMT 

To: GuestRelations@msg.com
Re: Mavis

Are you under some obligation to protect the scum who abused Mavis Staples? You know who I'm talking about. By shielding him from public shaming you are perpetuating tolerance of his intolerable behavior. Is this person welcome back in your theatres? Please explain your lack of action on this - an update at least?

PostPosted: Thu November 30th, 2017, 22:53 GMT 
Senior Moderator

MAVIS UPDATE: I got a call and spoke with a representative of MSG - (Madison Square Garden), owner of Beacon Theatre. She said they have gotten several emails/calls regarding the racist slur yelled at Mavis, and have forwarded them to their PR department . She said she could not discuss the incident with me, but gave me another email to write to. This could be just a wild goose chase, but I’ll keep you updated.

PostPosted: Thu November 30th, 2017, 23:30 GMT 
Promethium Member

MAVIS UPDATE: I got a call and spoke with a representative of MSG - (Madison Square Garden), owner of Beacon Theatre. She said they have gotten several emails/calls regarding the racist slur yelled at Mavis, and have forwarded them to their PR department . She said she could not discuss the incident with me, but gave me another email to write to. This could be just a wild goose chase, but I’ll keep you updated.

Classic human behavior.
Who wants to take responsibility?

Not me! Maybe her? Or him?

The B-52’s Run Run Runnin’ Around.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oP5ZyfrzppY

PostPosted: Fri December 1st, 2017, 04:08 GMT 

Would like to know WHY she 'could not discuss' it with you.

PostPosted: Fri December 1st, 2017, 06:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

as Barefoot said - :lol: to be expected the lawyers may have concluded that stalling things-- and since this original incident has now become unactionable,

the PR dept is now enlisted like HR depts are to control the damage to MSG's reputation.

there is no remedy here, this is what i am going to guess? --other than maybe asking for a sign on the wall that disorderly behavior while at MSG property will not be tolerated,
(which they are not willing to do as it casts a pall on what they're selling, ie fun)
and don't doubt by purchasing a ticket to walk in one of their doors you have ALREADY entered into that contract already?)
why they can toss you for the cameras when the sign is up, camera use may not be elucidated specifically in the original ticket purchase agreement?

that evening is when the particular offense occurred and what may have appeared to the audience to be the negligence by staff in the moment

'may have actually been keying off Mavis' calm yet nonplussed response'? --that may be the best scenario to MSG's corporate dilemma, wouldn't be surprised if they use that.

BUT apparently said bigot was soon ejected? being drunk puts one in a lot of legal jeopardy, but hate speech gets directed at the victim, ie Mavis, bystanders i believe are not party to it.

(and here is where we are taught Mavis is apparently NOT using her publicity agent to magnify her brand in this, another grace note,
though she may discuss it in an interview later to help the public at large and even us 'first-responders' process this moment)

the responsibility for recourse truly lies with Mavis and/or Bob's lawyers. and again they weigh and negotiate that with MSG lawyers.

our own accosted sensitivities are no party to prosecution of another audience member unless you want to argue emotional trauma.
(and believe me i acknowledge that as real for a lot of us and feel it myself from all this, though since i didn't actually hear the Mavis heckler,
the one outside to Bob since i saw it briefly online unwittingly affected me and taught me about the grace public figures sometimes can reveal)

we need to get why Mavis chose to act the way she did. and support her anyway we can.

paying in blood in this time and age i guess is the lesson here, guess why Bob sings that so much, we're lucky to hear Mavis and Bob sing to us

thanks everyone here for your hard work and in emailing/calling to represent a loving conscience!! loving acts are never wasted!!

PostPosted: Fri December 1st, 2017, 13:14 GMT 

If chance permits , think of Mavis . Hepp her hold the torch true, can't be easy y'know . I'm an 'other' myself (an actual box to check off )so have been sometams also a (headlight doe eyed shocked) victim of hateful words and what I could never determine miss the point . Can't understand why someone would decide to do that, especially to dear sweet Mavis? The two eyed blade and the one-eyed argument. How does it go? Senseless impersonal hatred . She must have felt alone up there the in the moment, if only for a split second. I gotta feelin' paranoid and a target.aw who knows what was going on in her mind. Mavis is our champion of grace (that's just how she rolls) and also a valid authority of survival.
the racist heckler went too far n,dearest heart, with the clip of the other heckler outside the last show, n tho it all played out strange, gotta feelin musta happened in the This time, the heckler's voice was off color and shrill,yup a bitter pill indeed to swallow. Drunk,looking to fling the generic comments she skimmed -damn off the dank shallow bucket of dancehall skank morals-- at everything and bob, I confess, I pitied him.
Dere's no guy livin' dat know Dylan t'roo an' t'roo ,so lez just assume,he must have only heard the " I love youz " from those other bystanders instead.

O the burden of being bob!but @ least that's nothing shameful in itself
Well, let me know if there is a possibility to sign a petition or anything up against the wall.
Bobschool is certainly familiar and has realistic attitudes summing up the PR HR protocol to be followed ( like sheep) They won't appreciate the seriousness of the Mavis racial attack . Tragic, but doubt the corporation will ever take a stand unless it was profitable,like usual, or they had to to protect their brand in some way. Shame! Doesn't matter that allowing is accepting that this is the way it is and if not outright in people's faces, then certainly secretly being ok with this world we live in , let us still love against all that •don't be disheartened. There are ways, and we shall surely find them in due time
<3
I try to think of what Bob and Mavis can do against such hard circumstances ? Feel the distinction that love is and give it back to us somewhere in the wilderness of a song ! thoughtful!Desolation to the Bone, high and important part of it all good an' easy when it stops always to send some thanks in a prayer.

Thank you Bob and Mavis,today and always, for putting yourselves out there again and again all the joy keepin my spirits verra huhhmm hot ,helluva sakes ur a livin'

I wish I knew more :?...

PostPosted: Fri December 1st, 2017, 15:53 GMT 

At the detroit show I witnessed an interesting interaction:

Between Mavis and Dylan's sets, a white guy in the 2nd or 3rd row seated in front of me was taking pictures of the set change for some crazy ass reason. The usher who was an african american man asked him several times to stop, and then walked over to him. the man kind of yelled at the usher "go sit down, BOY".

Immediately, the crowd of white dylan fans around him started to firmly assert to him that he can not speak that way. The usher called over his co-workers, all black men. Rather than give an apology, which probably would have ended the event, this man continued to assert that he had done nothing wrong. The ushers asked him to leave his seat and go to the back of the theater to see their supervisor. The man continued to refuse. Finally the supervisor showed up (a white guy), told the man that he was leaving the show and he had the choice to go voluntarily or be arrested.

We don't play that BOY shit in Detroit.

I'm disappointed that NYC didn't handle this situation.

PostPosted: Fri December 1st, 2017, 17:05 GMT 
Promethium Member

jman wrote:
We don't play that BOY shit in Detroit.

Not sure if that means the difference between badass & cosmopolitan?
Mavis is right. We still have a long way to long. Never give up.

PostPosted: Fri December 1st, 2017, 21:00 GMT 
Senior Moderator

We’ve heard from Detroit! Bravo! Hope NYC i.e. The Beacon, will be stepping up soon, too, to join up the Freedom Highway. Mavis is leading us all onward.

PostPosted: Fri December 1st, 2017, 21:28 GMT 
Senior Moderator

MAVIS MINOR UPDATE: Email I was given, failed. Called guest relations again, was given PR number; PR number failed. Called guest relations back again, was transferred to PR person who had not heard of incident. She took my number, and will have someone familiar with the incident get back to me, maybe today, but probably next week. Pressing On, y'all - hoping you're keeping with me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next