Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed December 13th, 2017, 03:42 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed November 22nd, 2017, 23:56 GMT 

Considering this is a multi-night stand, there is a possibility this person will be back in the audience tonight. If anyone here is going and has read this, be on alert and be sure to DO SOMETHING about this if it happens again. Tell them off, take a photo and report it to security. This is completely unacceptable and makes me sick to my stomach that anyone could ever say such a terrible thing to Mavis of all people, especially in 2017. How can anyone be so deaf to her beautiful music and to not even have the class to at least keep your racist mouth shut.

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 00:05 GMT 

What I don't get out of all of this is how the person wasn't shouted down at the very minimum.

If something like this happened here in Australia at a sporting event, the person would be kicked out of the stadium, likely charged, and definitely banned permanently from attending the sport. I can't comment as to a concert, as it's such a weird place for it to happen...

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 00:07 GMT 

When a white surpremacist murderer is publicly praised by the TopCat prepare yourself for more (and worse) of this.

Maybe this happens every night but tuesday Mavis got a standing and cheering ovation at the end of her set.

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 00:59 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
mystic garden wrote:
What a woman Mavis is to respond that way. God bless her.

She learned from the best: Pops Staples & MLK.

Indeed. Someone knows who this person is, was standing next to him. For shame, and indeed what on earth are security for? Mavis of course dealt with this in the best way possible considering her position but someone else should have been on hand to take action on her behalf and (hopefully) everyone else's. I am so ashamed, mortified to read about this and I'm all the way across the Atlantic! I would so love to have the privilege of seeing her supporting Bob in the UK.

We in the North East of England have recently been commemorating MLK's visit to Newcastle and I would like to think we could show some respect to those who knew and worked alongside him.

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 03:20 GMT 

I was in second row, center and could not hear what was yelled. But Mavis’ reaction seemed so hurt that it was obvious it was something completely beyond decency.

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 03:38 GMT 

Really saddened to read this. I wish Mavis had Baron backing her.

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 03:40 GMT 

kaleidosc0pe wrote:
I can't imagine everyone around remained completely mute.
But they did, because most of us are chickenshit ass-hat rubbernecking conformist tools.

Last edited by AndoDoug on Thu November 23rd, 2017, 03:42 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 03:41 GMT 
Promethium Member

How he wasn't social-pressured (or worse) the hell outta there is mystifying.
My blood is boiling just thinking of the noive that mutha has.

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 03:47 GMT 

AndoDoug wrote:
kaleidosc0pe wrote:
I can't imagine everyone around remained completely mute.
But they did, because most of us are chickenshit ass-hat rubbernecking conformist tools.

Yeah, it's quite possible people froze in the moment. And it's a predominantly white audience who had paid an exorbitant amount of money ($200?) for their seat... I doubt they've had many encounters with this degree of antagonism.

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 03:50 GMT 
Promethium Member

dundermifflin wrote:
Tonight Mavis Staples posted an instagram video of Keith Richards and her singing backstage.

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Is there a way to see that clip without having all that social media?

kfb2112 wrote:
you can see the picture here without an instagram account at this link. I cannot find the video https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb0oL2Zgez5 ... visstaples

Keith is there tonight with Mavis & woulda kicked that guy's ass:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dv1bM0pp_o4

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 03:58 GMT 
Titanium Member

WTFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!

Would someone goddamn get her some roses!!!!!!!!

A f'ing Nobel Peace Prize while you're at it!!!!!

I can just hear her response, her spirit gets a hold of you and you never forget her

My blood is boiling and it is HERE we understand the price paid

May God have mercy on our souls and it come doublequick i'm liable to forget my vows

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 04:09 GMT 
Promethium Member

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oab4ZCfTbOI
"Oh, you curse.. around women folk
And you don't even know their names
And you dumb enough to think
That'll make you a big ol man
Respect Yourself"

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 04:47 GMT 

Old people go to shows like Bob's who kinda remember Bob from their childhood but never really cared about the music and the message and are only there to relive their past years and it is sad. Sadder still that their negative and pure evil thoughts feel the need to leave their mouths. I think the whole fanbase of Bob's and Mavis's will not stand for that. I just saw Mavis perform in September. Her show is incredible and she talks about how she marched with Dr. King and how she made the world a better place. That comment is pure hatred.

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 05:03 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Not believing it.
Is this Jack Regan just trying to start shit?
Who the hell is he anyways?
If it’s true, I’m appalled.

I did not post this here. It was copied and pasted from a post to a private Facebook group. Whoever posted it did not ask for my permission. I have asked the moderators to remove the post. I am not trying to start shit. I was not at the show. This is a report from a friend of mine and I am very unhappy to see my name in this forum.

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 05:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

sorry fm - sorry you got switched up here but please understand your report has only gained much respect if that could have even been possible for our hero Mavis!

i hereby nominate this whole thread, actual incident, memories of said event be deleted from the historical record.

thank you moderators for your hard work!

still gonna get red roses though and hope to see her if you all don't mind.

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 05:38 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Not believing it.

fmfats wrote:
I did not post this here. It was copied and pasted from a post to a private Facebook group. Whoever posted it did not ask for my permission. I have asked the moderators to remove the post. I am not trying to start shit. I was not at the show. This is a report from a friend of mine and I am very unhappy to see my name in this forum.
I'm not sure if copy/pasting from a Facebook group could be considered inappropriate, but can't blame you for being pissed. Still Go Barefoot's response is obnoxious, attacking the messenger for no reason and then hoiking up the old "if-true" line, just like the GOP's reaction to 50 women reporting on Roy Moore.
Anyway, fmfats, welcome aboard.

Last edited by AndoDoug on Thu November 23rd, 2017, 06:01 GMT, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 05:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
mystic garden wrote:
What a woman Mavis is to respond that way. God bless her.

She learned from the best: Pops Staples & MLK.

love Mavis
she is awesome

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 06:41 GMT 

I was there and heard the offensive racist remarks which were on the other side of the orchestra from where I was sitting. At the end of her set he also yelled at her to get off the stage. I didn't hear any other comments from the crowd in terms of yelling at him or objecting to his language. However, someone responded to a friend of mine on Instagram that the person was indeed ejected and the crowd around him cheered his departure. Hopefully that's true.

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 06:42 GMT 
Promethium Member

Why nobody gave a punch to that mother fu@ker?? :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 08:36 GMT 

jberco wrote:
I was there and heard the offensive racist remarks which were on the other side of the orchestra from where I was sitting. At the end of her set he also yelled at her to get off the stage. I didn't hear any other comments from the crowd in terms of yelling at him or objecting to his language. However, someone responded to a friend of mine on Instagram that the person was indeed ejected and the crowd around him cheered his departure. Hopefully that's true.

Let's hope that's true (and that he was thrown out for his insults and not for using a cellphone [sarcasm off]).

Now I have a question, a serious one, so I hope, you (and mods) will not misunderstand me. And it's not against the thread opener, to make it clear.

There's this guy in the audience (I think he's white) who yelled insults at Mavis Staples. What he did shout has been paraphrased as an "N-word". I think we all know, which word it was. But why these circumstances? Why can we not write what he was shouting ( "You're a bitch ass nigger")?

I mean, quoting this does not insult any person to whom it was aimed at, unless it's meant to boost the insult, which is not the case here. Nor can it insult the shouter himself, because he did what he did in public.

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 09:21 GMT 

Possibly because some people may find it incredibly offensive and upsetting, regardless of who writes it down or who (if anyone) it’s aimed at.

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 09:45 GMT 

Nappy wrote:
Possibly because some people may find it incredibly offensive and upsetting, regardless of who writes it down or who (if anyone) it’s aimed at.

Yes, I'm afraid you're right. So the naked truth is still taboo? Regardless of the context? I mean, we're not talking fake news here, do we?

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 10:31 GMT 
Promethium Member

That's so sad.

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 14:13 GMT 
Promethium Member

fmfats wrote:
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Not believing it.

Hey fm,
Not sure about how permissions & social media work.
Someone once likened social media to sending a postcard by snail mail...assume anyone can read it.

As the info unfolded, I realized very quickly you were NOT trying to start shit. I think I was just so stunned, I didn't want to believe such an incident took place. Perhaps you felt that way when you first learned of it? My quick-first-impulse reaction was a bit emotionally charged somewhere within the "denial" and "anger" stages of the classic Elizabeth Kublar Ross 'Death & Dying' cycle. The denial part certainly came off a bit accusatory and for that I apologize. My reaction was certainly focused on the damn culprit in the audience and NOT you.

Crazy that this situation is was pushed you over the edge to make your first post after 13 years hERe!
Integrity & moral values are strong motivators! So welcome!
Hopefully you retain no hard feelings. None here.

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 14:19 GMT 
Promethium Member

AndoDoug wrote:
I'm not sure if copy/pasting from a Facebook group could be considered inappropriate, but can't blame you for being pissed. Still Go Barefoot's response is obnoxious, attacking the messenger for no reason and then hoiking up the old "if-true" line, just like the GOP's reaction to 50 women reporting on Roy Moore.
Anyway, fmfats, welcome aboard.

Lastly, to Ando:
In this case I will simply take a page from Mavis and say:
"Why do you have to be so mean?"

I like when your comments are constructive and when your energy is positive (like welcoming fmfats!).

When it goes the other way, I usually simply ignore* your offensive comments, pent-up negative energy and those strange attempts of dragging-in speculative off-base opinions & politics to create an argument and smear your perceived enemies on this board.
(*Kinda like the NYC audience ignoring that rude person's derogatory shout to Mavis?)

I guess we all get our buttons pushed at times. Perhaps we just take a collective deep breath?

We've got a lot to be thankful for. The glass is WAY more than half full!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next