Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed December 13th, 2017, 22:42 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 04:31 GMT 

aberhwy61 wrote:
last night (tues) much stronger for me than night one. they're getting looser and tighter at the same time, if that makes any sense. crowd was looser and more enthusiastic as well. felt like an uptight, opening night, night at the met to stare at the van gogh and matisse without moving a muscle crowd on monday. tonight people stood for the first three songs at least and the encore. bob was really spitting fire and charlie played some absolutely ridiculous guitar. has been nice to see george open up as well this fall. really strong show. looking forward to tonight...

This is great to hear. I couldn't get tickets to the second night, but I that was a gripe of mine on the first night. I personally have found this consistently with the crowd at Beacon. I saw the Pixies a few years back both in Asbury Park and then at Beacon. At Beacon the crowd did not even stand. It seems to foster an uptight vibe.

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 04:41 GMT 
Promethium Member

A Merry Llama wrote:
dundermifflin wrote:
Tonight Mavis Staples posted an instagram video of Keith Richards and her singing backstage.

I'm guessing Keith and Bob had a catch-up!

Its a shame Bob no longer invites guests onstage with him to play a song or too.

When was the last time somebody other than his band joined him on stage?

Knopfler perhaps?

AmericanaramA tour: jeff tweedy and jim james

Looking forward to the wrapup this week. I almost feel like i'm there since i'm at the same place i usually am when he's at beacon. I even went so far as to looking up the train ride this time. Still churning my thoughts around the fall tour. Enjoyable for sure.

Don’t forget July 2013 with Garth Hudson.
Didn’t he join Bob? Maybe not.
Edit: Nope, just checked. No, Garth joined Tweedy.

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 04:42 GMT 

https://twitter.com/mavisstaples/status ... 0697611264

Looks like Keith Richards is at the show tonight

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 06:02 GMT 

Beyond fantastic tonight.

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 06:13 GMT 
Titanium Member

do tell more abe, was just wondering what the right center front row was thinking :lol:
you really have a perspective we can only dream about :lol: happy thanksgiving!

mikesnyc wrote:
Really fantastic show last night (tues nov 21st).

My first show since the first capitol theater port chester show back in June, so the first time live hearing alot of the rearrangments. Unexpectedly, loved the re-arranged 'tangled up in blue'- adventurous and .. it worked! (for me, I know not for everyone, apparently). Loved most of the other re-arrangements. and of course the jazz-standard ballads were amazing, brought down the house.
...more later...

aberhwy61 wrote:
last night (tues) much stronger for me than night one. they're getting looser and tighter at the same time, if that makes any sense. crowd was looser and more enthusiastic as well. felt like an uptight, opening night, night at the met to stare at the van gogh and matisse without moving a muscle crowd on monday. tonight people stood for the first three songs at least and the encore. bob was really spitting fire and charlie played some absolutely ridiculous guitar. has been nice to see george open up as well this fall. really strong show. looking forward to tonight...

thank you mike and laurette on boblinks, you all real veterans

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 10:34 GMT 
Titanium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
quote="A Merry Llama"][quote="dundermifflin"Tonight Mavis Staples posted an instagram video of Keith Richards and her singing backstage.

Its a shame Bob no longer invites guests onstage with him to play a song or too.

Knopfler perhaps?

Looking forward to the wrapup this week. I almost feel like i'm there since i'm at the same place i usually am when he's at beacon. I even went so far as to looking up the train ride this time. Still churning my thoughts around the fall tour. Enjoyable for sure.[/quote]

Don’t forget July 2013 with Garth Hudson.
Didn’t he join Bob? Maybe not.
Edit: Nope, just checked. No, Garth joined Tweedy.[/quote]

Good to have fact checkers amongst us in these times.
Of course in retrospect, one can consider Duke R's tenure a guest appearance! Sorry, i was just reading up on the history of thanksgiving which suggests that anything can be considered anything with retrospective hindsight!

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 11:32 GMT 

crowd. was well...not entirely enthusiastic down in front...aside from right side...therefore the standing didn't happen...shame...would have loved to see his face when seated. Row DD. Could only see eyes and hair...those in front of me...got zip.

Show was good. I was expecting a little more considering his voice was very strong, clear, and had enunciation going at points. But it just didn't have the "it" factor in enough places to wow. He didn't push that voice in enough fun uneven places. Strictly professional. I don't kid myself. The fire gone out but the light is never dyin' ...I try and remind myself it ain't the live show it once was that lifts my shirt...he's pushing 80. But after attending so much and being moved so many times...one still carries the butterflies for life changing moments. Things have changed was good. It Ain't Me followed very nicely. Why Try To Change Me was very good (he paid great attention to all the standards imo, moreso than any other standards show I've seen). Tryin' was great to hear and the one time my eyes filled. Tangled was muffed in the beginning completely then repaired with broken shoes. ERK was fantastic, fun charlie stuff. Great performance...as was Thunder and Love Sick. Thought maybe 3rd night would have a few changes...maybe the last 2 get the weirdness.

Mavis was excellent choice and intro for a Bob show. Fabric of roots music.

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 14:27 GMT 

Tuesday night, the audience was standing and enthusiastic through Highway 61. After that, until the final songs, they were pretty much seated—and enthusiastic. The exception was two people in row AA who decided to stand—-not groove—even through songs like Why Try to Change Me Now. Requests to sit down(wheel chair in third row) were met by curses and a bit of assault. Really enjoying a show is one thing, projecting “me first” dominance is sadly a reflection of the poverty inside.

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 16:37 GMT 

The Tuesday night quasi assault was nuts. Made even moreso by the fact that it happened (I think) during the entirety of Melancholy Mood. Whole thing was bizarre. Steve Buscemi in the house last night. Joe Torre enthusiastically enjoying night two. Crowd was all sorts of effed up last night. Couple of guys talking openly at the bar about how much ketamine they had taken. One of em got thrown out front row center during Why Try To Change Me...

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 17:00 GMT 

I cannot believe I'll be missing these nyc shows...
staffing challenges at work & needing a new fuel pump for my car prevents me catching the guys on this leg of the tour...
So I need help getting over my depression- can we get some more reviews & pics posted ?
I know Bob doesn't like the photo thing, but sometimes it's on a Santa wish list :D

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 18:33 GMT 

The continuing reports that people down the front can't see Bob are worrying. I assumed in a relatively small venue like the Beacon where the stage is presumably lower than in an arena, this wouldn't be a factor and you could at least see his face when he's seated at the piano but apparently not???

If that is the situation, can anyone say for how many songs approximately is he fully seated?

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 19:04 GMT 

kaleidosc0pe wrote:
WHAT the hell, I thought he died or something, what's with the picture from last night's concert on the main page ??!! http://www.expectingrain.com/

Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one to think that. I saw that huge picture and my heart sunk and skipped a few beats at the same time. I had to quick get to the message board and see if someone had posted an RIP thread or something, not a fun few seconds :?

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 19:29 GMT 

Is it not kind of strange that the tour is going past Thanksgiving? I thought Bob always made sure to be home in Hanover, Minnesota for Thanksgiving. Side fact, I never realized this at the time, but on my drive to preschool I would always pass by one of his homes in Minnesota

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 20:17 GMT 

In regards to front rows gettining limited viewing...I’ve seen five shows this year. I noticed at Capitol theatre over summer the stage was
Beginning to be set up differently. Piano had
Been angled more vertical than horizontal with audience...and it was recessed further back on stage altogether. I said to myself then, done seated shows this will pose a problem for sight lines down in front. I had no idea that this fall tour had the piano even more vertical. I did however ,
Made
Mental note before the tour started and tickets first went on sale not to buy any tickets up close fearing bad sight lines. Unfortunately, I was at mercy of beacon theatre and Ticketmaster for random seat generator on best available option. I couldn’t risk not getting any tickets. I thought I’d be ok with fourth or fifth row.

In my opinion , I think bob did stand more at piano knowing there is an issue. Even songs he generally sits through entirely he’s get up toward the end. Still, it can’t happen at that price dollar. I think it will change after this anyway. Shakeup happening.

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 20:26 GMT 

Thanks NEP. Hope you get to see him from your vantage point - it's big bucks not to see the fella you've paid in to do just that! But to be clear, when he's standing at the piano, no real problems?

PostPosted: Thu November 23rd, 2017, 21:13 GMT 

No standing at piano totally fine. Sitting though eliminated first 5-7 rows if you don’t stand

PostPosted: Fri November 24th, 2017, 12:52 GMT 
Promethium Member

Night 4, tonight!

PostPosted: Fri November 24th, 2017, 19:58 GMT 
Titanium Member

I’ll be there tonight :)
Hope everyone has a great evening !!!

PostPosted: Fri November 24th, 2017, 20:19 GMT 
Promethium Member

Alouette wrote:
I’ll be there tonight :)
Hope everyone has a great evening !!!

Sweet. Nice little post-Thanksgiving treat.
Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat November 25th, 2017, 00:30 GMT 

Have a wonderful night Alouette ! :D

PostPosted: Sat November 25th, 2017, 01:10 GMT 
Promethium Member

Go Mavis!

PostPosted: Sat November 25th, 2017, 01:15 GMT 

Mavis is wonderful. What a great entertainer and lady. I wasn’t familiar with her work prior to her tours with Bob, but have learned to love her.

Show her some love for me tonight NYC.

PostPosted: Sat November 25th, 2017, 01:32 GMT 

A Merry Llama wrote:
dundermifflin wrote:
Tonight Mavis Staples posted an instagram video of Keith Richards and her singing backstage.

Knopfler perhaps?

Looking forward to the wrapup this week. I almost feel like i'm there since i'm at the same place i usually am when he's at beacon. I even went so far as to looking up the train ride this time. Still churning my thoughts around the fall tour. Enjoyable for sure.

Didn't the McCrary Sisters join for Blowin' In The Wind at a show during 2013 as well?

PostPosted: Sat November 25th, 2017, 01:58 GMT 
Promethium Member

Yes, I recall the McCrarys appearance also being Duke’s last show.
(Please correct me)
They might’ve joined again one more time after that,
in the next year or so.

Edit: Yup
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PL7mdt0EFvU

PostPosted: Sat November 25th, 2017, 02:12 GMT 

Maybe Bob and Mavis have something special planned for the last show. Probably not but we can be hopeful

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next