Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat December 16th, 2017, 07:01 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri November 17th, 2017, 16:10 GMT 

Joined: Thu August 27th, 2009, 05:49 GMT
Posts: 206
Amos wrote:
Could see zero from my front row center seat. When de stood I saw his eyes up. When he sat I saw nothing. Ppl next to me couldn’t see either on my left or right nor could the ppl in back of me


Yep; the stage setup is really challenging these days in the front. When my gf sat (we were also front row, a few seats towards the piano front Amos), she couldn’t see anything. When I stood, I could see which is why I did. I wouldn’t have stood if I was able to see seated but after sitting through Chicago in the front and only seeing Bob’s hair all night, I would rather have been kicked out than go through that again.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri November 17th, 2017, 17:17 GMT 

Joined: Fri July 18th, 2008, 16:22 GMT
Posts: 4058
Am I right in thinking the front row issue only becomes a potential factor in mid and in particular larger venues where the stage is naturally higher than in smaller theatres?

Also, if last night's setlist is anything to go by, the majority of songs are at the piano but does he stand or sit for the majority of those?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri November 17th, 2017, 20:49 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 21436
A few rows further back & all these worries dissipate.

9th row last night worked very well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri November 17th, 2017, 21:17 GMT 

Joined: Sun July 10th, 2016, 18:11 GMT
Posts: 15
We were on second row last night on left side if facing the stage. So I never saw the drummer but could see Bob good all night wherever he was. It was my daughters first show. We flew up from Alabama on Wednesday, walked around in the freezing rain on Thursday. Saw some good sites, ate good food. It was also her first time to Boston. It was a great trip and great show. Sound was really good. I hadn’t listened to any shows so the new arrangements were new to me and I liked most of them. I recorded the show but haven’t had a chance to listen to it yet to see if it’s any good or not. I met a fan in the lobby of my hotel before the show. He’s been to several on the tour and was meeting more people at the show, but I didn’t get his ER name. Very nice and fun to talk to other fans. This is my one and only show this tour and second this year. Hoping for a southeast tour sometime soon. Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri November 17th, 2017, 21:37 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue November 27th, 2012, 20:24 GMT
Posts: 2039
:D
Jrobison wrote:
We were on second row last night on left side if facing the stage. So I never saw the drummer but could see Bob good all night wherever he was. It was my daughters first show. We flew up from Alabama on Wednesday, walked around in the freezing rain on Thursday. Saw some good sites, ate good food. It was also her first time to Boston. It was a great trip and great show. Sound was really good. I hadn’t listened to any shows so the new arrangements were new to me and I liked most of them. I recorded the show but haven’t had a chance to listen to it yet to see if it’s any good or not. I met a fan in the lobby of my hotel before the show. He’s been to several on the tour and was meeting more people at the show, but I didn’t get his ER name. Very nice and fun to talk to other fans. This is my one and only show this tour and second this year. Hoping for a southeast tour sometime soon. Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri November 17th, 2017, 21:55 GMT 
Senior Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri March 2nd, 2007, 15:48 GMT
Posts: 3447
Location: beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
I was there too. 4th Row Center. Saw well but had to stand because all were standing in front of me for the above-noted reasons.
I brought my hanky for ERK and I did indeed wave it in the air. I loved that Bob added a viscious “I dare you” after he sang “wave your handkerchief in the air”.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun November 19th, 2017, 02:10 GMT 

Joined: Tue February 3rd, 2015, 19:05 GMT
Posts: 494
aberhwy61 wrote:
Amos wrote:
Could see zero from my front row center seat. When de stood I saw his eyes up. When he sat I saw nothing. Ppl next to me couldn’t see either on my left or right nor could the ppl in back of me


Yep; the stage setup is really challenging these days in the front. When my gf sat (we were also front row, a few seats towards the piano front Amos), she couldn’t see anything. When I stood, I could see which is why I did. I wouldn’t have stood if I was able to see seated but after sitting through Chicago in the front and only seeing Bob’s hair all night, I would rather have been kicked out than go through that again.


I couldn’t see his hair even standing
I was so pissed
Last night low stage and had a major issue seeing bob when he sat all for the bargain of $535


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun November 19th, 2017, 02:12 GMT 

Joined: Tue February 3rd, 2015, 19:05 GMT
Posts: 494
MrJudasPriest wrote:
Am I right in thinking the front row issue only becomes a potential factor in mid and in particular larger venues where the stage is naturally higher than in smaller theatres?

Also, if last night's setlist is anything to go by, the majority of songs are at the piano but does he stand or sit for the majority of those?


Albany was a low stage and had similar issues. I could see when he stood in Albany but not in Boston so much. I couldn’t see when he sat at either


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun November 19th, 2017, 02:14 GMT 

Joined: Tue February 3rd, 2015, 19:05 GMT
Posts: 494
Anything But A Roll wrote:
I was there too. 4th Row Center. Saw well but had to stand because all were standing in front of me for the above-noted reasons.
I brought my hanky for ERK and I did indeed wave it in the air. I loved that Bob added a viscious “I dare you” after he sang “wave your handkerchief in the air”.



And you didn’t say hi? :(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun November 19th, 2017, 02:15 GMT 

Joined: Tue February 3rd, 2015, 19:05 GMT
Posts: 494
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
What? You were there?
How did we miss? Hugs.
I thought it ranked as one of the better shows of the past 8 yrs or decade.



I can’t believe I didn’t see you. That makes me sad

xoxo to you


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun November 19th, 2017, 18:58 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 21436
Don't know how we missed, Amos.
So many times over the years we simply bump into each other.

If you recall, the front middle section had an aisle on each side.
One coming from the drums, the other from the piano.
We were directly on the aisle leading back from the piano side, 9th row.
Both sound & vision were good.
A very danceable spot, although early on, security threatened ejection.
"If you dance in the aisle one more time, or do anything inappropriate, you're gone."
"Jeez, I can't find my knees," I said, and then made a concerted effort to be on best behavior & sit still sometimes.

My friend had a wildly gold-embroidered jacket with fur wrists & a leather top hat.
Several of us hung out chatting & were amongst the last to be swept out of the front by security.

Of course, this would be the show without a recording, dang...I'd really like to check it against my memory. For me, this was cream-of-the-crop. The anticipation pressure was off, having enjoyed Richmond so much...and feeling the bar had been set at a pleasant height. It could be approached casually, not restrained.

The show was not sold out although the Boston Armory Box Office didn't have any "good" seats.
A lot of afternoon partying preceded this show and we lucked into some decent tix just prior to show time. Went in fairly early, there was a row of cushy seats set up against the rail in the nosebleed section and quite conveniently across the hall from the beer vendor, with restrooms nearby. The seats were dead-center, up-high and as far away as one can be from the stage... and we had some time to kill. Hmmm...

So we set up shop, and pounded $10 cups of meh beer to keep things going. Shipyard was the best we could do and I held my cash until the bartenders filled the cups to the brim, please. None of this half-foam in a cup I saw them dishing out to others.

The view over the entire arena was somewhat commanding and we began referring to our location as Caesar's Box. It couldn't get much better. We had a little wooden shelf in front of us to set our beers. What more could one want at this moment? We owned the place and the show hadn't even begun!

There were giant digital readout banners high on the walls inside the arena stating:
"NO PHONES OR VIDEO - USERS OF CELL PHONES WILL BE EJECTED" just in case people didn't get it.

The lights melted out and Mavis' band kicked in, building energy for our lady's arrival on stage. I've had the pleasure of seeing Mavis many times, even in a small bar atmosphere. She continues to be powerful & uplifting. They rocked it again tonight. There was electricity in the air. You could feel it. At least we could. Wow. Mavis was superb. Our location in Caesar's Box was most enjoyable, especially when an Armory worker snapped a set of black curtains shut behind us as the show began. Royalty.

After her dad's incredible 1963 Freedom March, we began our saunter towards our floor seats and caught the rest of her set down front. Nice way to enter a Bob show. Calm, cool, relaxed, charged-up, ready and willing. We apologized to the folks in our seats and calmly let security figure it out. We were very understanding & sympathetic since so many times the shoe is on the other foot. Or not on any foot at all. Danced in the aisle and waited, no worries.

Good people around us, nice fun intermission. There's that strumming, it's really morphed so much beyond a Noodle and beyond Foggy Dew...it's longer too, and the transition into Things was drawn out and intertwined for an extra measure or two. Boom! Right outta the Gates they were all on it like a pack of wild hungry dogs, working in unison, down to the molecular level. It was THAT good, I'm tellin' ya. It Ain't Me. Thought I was sick of this song, but absolutely loved it. And it was like that all night!

Here we go, I freakin publicly admit this...I enjoyed the first American Standard of the night. Shit, I thought. I'm supposed to not like this, because I don't like the Lawrence Welk genre. Right? What? Shit. Surrender...slowly surrender. Ready? "My name is Barefoot and I'm a Bob-o-holic, and I somehow actually liked the delivery of 'Why Try To Change Me Now' in Boston 2017. I still refuse to buy Triplicate though." There it's done.

Summer Days rescued me from the grieving I was going through about liking Why Try. And they tore it up. And then, oh no, Melancholy Mood. Are you shittin' me? I damn liked that one too? What the hell kinda drugs are we really on,? I thought. Damn. Saved by Honest With Me! And Tryin'! Wow. What a night! Uh- oh, Once Upon A Time...I only liked the first half of that song, I'm tellin' ya. No way am I'm liking the second half of it. No way. Forget it. Rescued again by Pay In Blood and a damn strong version. It's back. Pay In Blood, but not my own.

'Tangled up in Fall 2017' has really matured, even seeming to take a step up from Richmond only a week before. Most likely this won't be around for long in this format, although we never know, so enjoy it for what it is before it's gone!

The night was moving along quite flawlessly...and Charlie was being handed some space to play in, some play space. Bob seemed to be saying: "Go on out in the yard, kid, and have some fun!" With Charlie going: "But, Dad, you never let me do that anymore...um, um, really?" And then Bob just looking at him like, "Didn't you hear me boy?"
"OK Daddy, how about this?" "Do it again, son". "Really Daddy?"
"C'mon again". "I love you Daddy." That went on all night. I hope it continued in Albany & Beefalo & beyond.

It was a solid Soon, (which I also thought I was sick of, but no). And ERK has slid into a funky little fun zone of slinky slidey smoothie silky winding whist. They have it down, and continue to let it morph. I saw the hankies go up & assume that was Roll & her buddies. Beans musta been smiling, Roll! I recalled seeing you two doing that at URI in the Duke Days.

Scarlet, Desolation, Thunder, up, up, up...uh-oh...Autumn Leaves. I know I don't like it and I refuse to...shit, alright, it was ok, ok? Love Sick. Gotta really watch and inhale this one with the utmost disciplined focus. It's good. It really is, for what it is. Bob and the Band put on a SOLID SHOW.

Even Blowin' was fun! Wow. And, of course, Thin Man hit it out of the park. It's actually a pretty good closer for this particular adventure. The night was amazing and then we stayed up till sunrise howlin at the moon. Well, or course, you can't really see the moon in the city, but we felt it.

I'm babbling hard. Haven't really slept in days. What a whirlwind. Gave up the Albany theater show for Bob @ Agganis Arena and then Dead & Co at TD Fri night. It was the right move. Had to bail on the 2nd TD Dead show though. Will move on to the next thing soon. I hope everyone has fun at the Beacons!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon November 20th, 2017, 08:24 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 21436
Jrobison wrote:
Sound was really good...I recorded the show but haven’t had a chance to listen to it yet to see if it’s any good or not....

How did this turnout J?
Might be our only hope?
Cheers!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon November 20th, 2017, 08:39 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri April 14th, 2006, 18:43 GMT
Posts: 5427
Barefoot i meant to say this is a brilliant review! you guys really know how to bring the party to bob world! what would we do without you!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon November 20th, 2017, 09:13 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri April 14th, 2006, 18:43 GMT
Posts: 5427
Barefoot! listen to Albany and tell us what you think!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon November 20th, 2017, 10:45 GMT 

Joined: Sat April 22nd, 2017, 12:50 GMT
Posts: 41
My grandkids keep me busy but I did manage to hear ERK Albany. Wow sexy , my old frozen pipes are thawing :lol: . No wonder so many stalkers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon November 20th, 2017, 14:12 GMT 

Joined: Sun July 10th, 2016, 18:11 GMT
Posts: 15
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Jrobison wrote:
Sound was really good...I recorded the show but haven’t had a chance to listen to it yet to see if it’s any good or not....

How did this turnout J?
Might be our only hope?
Cheers!

Was a really busy weekend. Flew back to Alabama and saw John Prine in Birmingham Satuday night. Always a great show. A total contrast to Dylan. He actually acknowledges the crowd and that he knows what city he is in. And everyone was taking pictures and videos and didn't have to worry about being kicked out. I recorded it to and listened to it on the way home yesterday and it was good. I still haven't had a chance to listen to the Dylan show but I will do that tonight and I will be glad to share it with anyone who can tell me how to do that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon November 20th, 2017, 18:52 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon July 11th, 2016, 17:20 GMT
Posts: 141
Location: DC Metro
bobschool wrote:
Barefoot i meant to say this is a brilliant review! you guys really know how to bring the party to bob world! what would we do without you!


What bobschool said. Barefoot, you take me there - just like Mavis says we should all do for each other. My unsolicited advice is relax and let those standards seep on in! Of course, I was sold from the get-go, but our boy's been working hard on his delivery and it's paying off. I've been loving the set in its current configuration... seamless and smooth, dare I say polished? Nah, that's too much... always keeps it fresh and a just a little raw. I have my theories on it all but maybe that's for another time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon November 20th, 2017, 20:07 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue March 29th, 2011, 22:01 GMT
Posts: 1488
Location: Morrisville, PA
You've come a long way, Barefoot, in regards to the "standards".

I can recall with great dismay, that time you turned your back on Bob and The Boys during " Stay With Me", when we were together at The Mann a few years ago.....OK, we were not per se "together", but we were both there............well, I was there for sure......

Anyway, " Melancholy Mood" is worth the price of admission if only for:

1. Bobs walking around aimlessly during the long intro, as if he doesn't know where he is, or what he is doing.......he certainly doesn't know what to do with himself.

2. Charlie's exquisite and tasty guitar work, again, during that long intro.
Top shelf playing.

Welcome aboard !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon November 20th, 2017, 23:22 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 21436
Jrobison wrote:
I still haven't had a chance to listen to the Dylan show but I will do that tonight and I will be glad to share it with anyone who can tell me how to do that.

No worries J. Patience is a virtue...of course, virtue is its own punishment.
Looking forward to listening when some great soul reaches out and pms you how to post it.
Thanks for getting it!

Schoolie, Palin, Chester:
Special thanks for putting up with my antics.
Chester: I repeat, I won’t be buying Triplicate.

Glad everyone is having fun!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon November 20th, 2017, 23:35 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 21436
Whoa. It dropped.
Thank you Sad Eyed Lady!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_5kG89Aat-E


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue November 21st, 2017, 10:37 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu September 17th, 2015, 01:28 GMT
Posts: 611
Not sure if anyone's mentioned this or taken notice, but listening to the recording I've noticed the intro was played on an electric guitar rather than acoustic...

Interesting enough to mention, I think.

Did you notice this, Still Go Barefoot?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue November 21st, 2017, 11:28 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 21436
mystic garden wrote:
Not sure if anyone's mentioned this or taken notice, but listening to the recording I've noticed the intro was played on an electric guitar rather than acoustic...

Interesting enough to mention, I think.

Did you notice this, Still Go Barefoot?

Yup. He’s gone back & forth over the years.
Although I’m no Noodleologist.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed November 22nd, 2017, 05:11 GMT 

Joined: Tue February 3rd, 2015, 19:05 GMT
Posts: 494
Since 2005. Damn. I’m bummed we didn’t see each other.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed November 22nd, 2017, 08:33 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri January 24th, 2014, 15:49 GMT
Posts: 155
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
There's that strumming, it's really morphed so much beyond a Noodle and beyond Foggy Dew...it's longer too, and the transition into Things was drawn out and intertwined for an extra measure or two.


Stu is playing "The Auld Triangle" or as it often known to Bob fans: "The Banks Of The Royal Canal"

Bob recorded this song with The Band during the basement tapes sessions....

As per the melding of the sound into "Things..." I was sure all three shows that I saw this fall that Bob was about to actually sing "The Auld Triangle"....but alas, he did not...But it is still a great intro...as it was originally used as an intro to a play written by Brendan Behan (his brother, Dominic, is the poet Bob does not want to see in DONT LOOK BACK--probably because he has stolen the melody of his song THE PATRIOT GAME and settled it to his own lyrics "WITH GOD ON OUR SIDE")

This song has always been a basement favorite....and I have sung it many, many times with many,many people: "that old triangle goes jingle jangle....all along the banks of the royal canal...."


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Auld_Triangle


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed November 22nd, 2017, 10:26 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 21436
Baltimore wrote:
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
There's that strumming, it's really morphed so much beyond a Noodle and beyond Foggy Dew...it's longer too, and the transition into Things was drawn out and intertwined for an extra measure or two.


Stu is playing "The Auld Triangle" or as it often known to Bob fans: "The Banks Of The Royal Canal"

Bob recorded this song with The Band during the basement tapes sessions....

As per the melding of the sound into "Things..." I was sure all three shows that I saw this fall that Bob was about to actually sing "The Auld Triangle"....but alas, he did not...But it is still a great intro...as it was originally used as an intro to a play written by Brendan Behan (his brother, Dominic, is the poet Bob does not want to see in DONT LOOK BACK--probably because he has stolen the melody of his song THE PATRIOT GAME and settled it to his own lyrics "WITH GOD ON OUR SIDE")

This song has always been a basement favorite....and I have sung it many, many times with many,many people: "that old triangle goes jingle jangle....all along the banks of the royal canal...."


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Auld_Triangle

Great post, Balti.
Will try to also drop it in the Stu’s Noodle thread if I can find it.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group