Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue July 17th, 2018, 06:11 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon November 13th, 2017, 04:45 GMT 

Sound like that flat chested junkie whore better watch her back soon :lol:

PostPosted: Mon November 13th, 2017, 04:53 GMT 

Fantastic show altogether. Top drawer stuff. Bob was on fire. Fabulously animated throughout.. several enthusiastic hand gestures of mutual encouragement to the front row left posse, including after HWM and as he came back on before the encore.
He performed TUIB as much with his eyes and eyebrows as with his voice and fingers. Whatever it is he's looking to do with that version, he is extremely happy with it. Delivered with exceptional care, familiarity and meaning, it is clearly extremely important to him. even the lighting was different, including a near-spotlight on himself (who was in a white jacket, sans hat) - he's clearly making it a showpiece of the current set.
TOTM was off the charts, a real treat to see that live - easily exceeded the elevated expectations I had for it. can't remember the last time I witnessed the whole lot of them give anything that much welly. Not free for all welly.. rather, a stomping controlled cut loose reminiscent of summer days / watchtower at their early to mid 00s finest, with a refinement befitting the set era.
The standards all delivered with the now customary care and attention. But it was less obvious that they were getting any extra special treatment on this particular occasion such was the extremely high commitment levels on display throughout. Hard to believe but it's like he's getting younger, and better. seemed to me like he's reinvigorated, taking the stage as if for the last time and determined to go out on a high, enjoying every second of the experience.- he was strutting and shaping and bopping throughout.
As Mavis put it .."Bobby, yeah, gotta keep an eye on Bobby.. cos he's got the moves"! And much more. Class show, right up there with the best I've seen for pure enjoyment and Bob form/energy levels. Only personal downer was missing ST but that's a self inflicted wound (comfort break). Really hoping a quality boot surface that does justice to what was a memorable night

PostPosted: Mon November 13th, 2017, 05:53 GMT 
Titanium Member

beautiful Lullaby Of Philly, team

PostPosted: Mon November 13th, 2017, 09:13 GMT 

Looking forward to a recording, sounds like they were both great shows.

For those that were at the second show: Was Scarlet Town played in a new arrangement? If not, which one?

PostPosted: Mon November 13th, 2017, 11:38 GMT 
Promethium Member

The consistent quality level is off the charts, good.
These are great days for a Dylan follower.
Excellent comments by all there including Shane, Cowboy, Palin, JimB, Chester, MajorMinor, Buckets and others!
Fantastic times.

PostPosted: Mon November 13th, 2017, 16:23 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
majortominor wrote:
Scarlet replaces Soon...real change of mood in that slot

Good eye, Major Minor!
Um, maybe Narrow Way would represent a mood swing.
But Scarlet?

Maybe not *swing*, but Scarlet has an ominousness where Soon is the cuddly side of Bob

PostPosted: Mon November 13th, 2017, 17:12 GMT 

mlpalintologist wrote:
The Bob and I exchanged a bit of eye contact, and I'm going to allow myself to think I even got a smile or two. At any rate, let the record show that he was enjoying himself, and smiles were in evidence.

believe it my friend. I experienced the exact same thing when I was first row, directly in front of his piano in Montreal. He did smile at me a couple times. Maybe because I'm a 28-year old woman with a terrific smile HAHA :oops: but seriously, it's the best spot ! I had the time of my life.

PostPosted: Mon November 13th, 2017, 17:16 GMT 

kaleidosc0pe wrote:
mlpalintologist wrote:
The Bob and I exchanged a bit of eye contact, and I'm going to allow myself to think I even got a smile or two. At any rate, let the record show that he was enjoying himself, and smiles were in evidence.

believe it my friend. I experienced the exact same thing when I was first row, directly in front of his piano in Montreal. He did smile at me a couple times. Maybe because I'm a 28-year old woman with a terrific smile HAHA :oops: but seriously, it's the best spot ! I had the time of my life.

It's happened to me too, in that spot, believe it!

PostPosted: Mon November 13th, 2017, 17:21 GMT 

restless wrote:
kaleidosc0pe wrote:

It's happened to me too, in that spot, believe it!

Amazing !! I guess we can all agree that this seat is definitely worth every penny.

PostPosted: Mon November 13th, 2017, 18:48 GMT 

kaleidosc0pe wrote:

Amazing !! I guess we can all agree that this seat is definitely worth every penny.

Ha ha! I'll take it! I'm not 28 but I've got the smile and trust me when I say I can dance. (I'm an introvert but I know my strengths ;-) ) TOTM had that perfect rollicking road house piano, and blew the roof off the place. Heck, I couldn't have sat still no matter how "well" I can dance. I just hope he was chuckling with me, not at me. :-P

Anyway, I guess I'm in the club!! (High five! :lol: 8) :lol: )

PostPosted: Mon November 13th, 2017, 19:42 GMT 

Bob's certainly improved his piano playing over the years, and you gotta love the way the crowd responds to the standards.

I do miss the harmonica though.

PostPosted: Mon November 13th, 2017, 20:14 GMT 

mlpalintologist wrote:
kaleidosc0pe wrote:

Anyway, I guess I'm in the club!! (High five! :lol: 8) :lol: )

The club (us 3) should meet at a concert in the near future and make sure we're all together, first row in front of his piano :lol: :D

PostPosted: Mon November 13th, 2017, 21:31 GMT 

Yes, Scarlet had a slightly different arrangement from the album/live show from last couple years. It really just involves Bob singing in a higher range during the middle part of verses as opposed to a new arrangement I guess. Not radical, but I found it made the song more interesting and it is faster paced than previous versions.

PostPosted: Mon November 13th, 2017, 22:26 GMT 

put your heart on a platter and see who will bite
see who will hold you and kiss you good night
(cool)

PostPosted: Tue November 14th, 2017, 01:24 GMT 

Both shows are up!

11th - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPiMSwg1bQo
12th - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rce9valsQpc

Much respect to "Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands" for all the effort he/she takes in uploading all these shows up on youtube, a constant source of terrific Dylan recordings. I'm listening to the 12th now and it's truly great. What an amazing couple of years it has been to be following and listening to Bob and band on stage, and they're only getting better in my ears.

I'm listening to Scarlet Town now and it's definitely a new arrangement, and it's very, very good.

PostPosted: Tue November 14th, 2017, 03:54 GMT 
Promethium Member

mystic garden wrote:
Both shows are up!

11th - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPiMSwg1bQo
12th - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rce9valsQpc

Much respect to "Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands" for all the effort he/she takes in uploading all these shows up on youtube, a constant source of terrific Dylan recordings. I'm listening to the 12th now and it's truly great. What an amazing couple of years it has been to be following and listening to Bob and band on stage, and they're only getting better in my ears.

I'm listening to Scarlet Town now and it's definitely a new arrangement, and it's very, very good.

Thanks Mystic & Sad-Eyed!

PostPosted: Tue November 14th, 2017, 06:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

the 11th has exotic new flourishes from everyone, way sexy

george on thunder and things is out of this world

scarlet has loaded her wings with two jet engines watch out. makes me think of bill evans playing nardis

PostPosted: Tue November 14th, 2017, 17:15 GMT 

If You Gotta Go, Go Now

Speaking of front row... just a further little anecdote about my 11/12 experience and something that, upon reflection, has been making me chuckle.

The couple seated to my right arrived after Mavis, but before Bob took the stage. I turned and gave the young woman my best "Welcome Fellow Bob Fan!" smile, then turned my attention to the stage. Bob and the boys enter -- wild applause and cheering! But, out of the corner of my eye, I notice the gal next to me is now slightly hunched over, eyes closed, with both index fingers firmly planted in her ears. I'm like, ok, whatever, and go back to enjoying the hell out of Things Have Changed. But then, further hectic commotion to my right, as her boyfriend begins frantically tearing cocktail napkins into strips in order to construct make-shift ear plugs -- all while she's sitting there with her fingers in her ears. :shock:

Now, far be it from me to judge. I really mean that. She may have had some genuine aural sensitivity. Or, maybe she just experienced an acute, instantaneous reaction to our boy, Lucky. Either way, things did not appear to improve for them, and I sensed the unmistakable chill of disinterest emanating from their direction. They were gone by TOTM, which gave me room to cut up some floor. I'm sure Bob's seen it all from the stage but, oh my, to have a picture of that end of the row from Bob's perspective during those first few minutes of music! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue November 14th, 2017, 23:44 GMT 

New arrangement of Pay in Blood since Salt Lake City...

PostPosted: Tue November 14th, 2017, 23:51 GMT 

mlpalintologist wrote:
If You Gotta Go, Go Now

Speaking of front row... just a further little anecdote about my 11/12 experience and something that, upon reflection, has been making me chuckle.

The couple seated to my right arrived after Mavis, but before Bob took the stage. I turned and gave the young woman my best "Welcome Fellow Bob Fan!" smile, then turned my attention to the stage. Bob and the boys enter -- wild applause and cheering! But, out of the corner of my eye, I notice the gal next to me is now slightly hunched over, eyes closed, with both index fingers firmly planted in her ears. I'm like, ok, whatever, and go back to enjoying the hell out of Things Have Changed. But then, further hectic commotion to my right, as her boyfriend begins frantically tearing cocktail napkins into strips in order to construct make-shift ear plugs -- all while she's sitting there with her fingers in her ears. :shock:

Now, far be it from me to judge. I really mean that. She may have had some genuine aural sensitivity. Or, maybe she just experienced an acute, instantaneous reaction to our boy, Lucky. Either way, things did not appear to improve for them, and I sensed the unmistakable chill of disinterest emanating from their direction. They were gone by TOTM, which gave me room to cut up some floor. I'm sure Bob's seen it all from the stage but, oh my, to have a picture of that end of the row from Bob's perspective during those first few minutes of music! :lol:

That's hilarious. You have a sound sensitivity well what are you doing at a concert without earplugs ? Maybe they were not fans, only curious people but then again why on earth did you pay for front row seats ? So many questions :lol: Glad they gave you more space to express yourself :lol:

PostPosted: Wed November 15th, 2017, 00:20 GMT 
Promethium Member

lovethatcountrypie wrote:

Yes, the poor thing was getting wiped out by all the other rearrangements.

PostPosted: Wed November 15th, 2017, 01:48 GMT 

My final thoughts on Philadelphia: Night 2.

No Charlie sighting.......damn.....I knew I wouldn't get that one back.

Well........anyway........we got a changeup.....Scarlet Town......very rough and unstructured, in my opinion. I haven't heard the recordings yet, but I was disappointed on first listen....after the excitement of hearing the banjo as the lights were out between songs, and nudging my wife and telling her they were gonna play a different song....not that she knew what I was talking about.....she loves Bob, but she's not as obsessed as evERyone of us, on every Lil thing Bob does......my first thoughts were High Water or Blind Willie McTell.......so that was a hard fall.

Bob is really into it........for all u nay sayers who think he's just phoning it in.

Between Saturday and Sunday, I think I would give a very slight edge to Saturday.

.....and the crowd was into it..........and its funny......good funny in my opinion, how "the standards" seem almost completely separate from the rest of the show, almost as if they are a break in the set, yet completely fit in with the rest of the show..........yes, that's what I mean't to say.

EvERyone enjoy the rest of shows !

Thanks, Bob !
Thanks, Boys !
Thanks, Crew !

PostPosted: Wed November 15th, 2017, 15:35 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
lovethatcountrypie wrote:

Yes, the poor thing was getting wiped out by all the other rearrangements.

Thankfully this wasn't the case at the four shows I attended....

PostPosted: Sun November 19th, 2017, 05:26 GMT 

Thanks you kind bootleggers, ballad of a thin man sounds great :)