Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue November 21st, 2017, 11:54 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue October 24th, 2017, 17:56 GMT 

I guess I wasn't paying much attention because I found most of his live performances in the last 10 years or so to be pretty painful. I've always enjoyed his voice until the "Cookie Monster" phase began a few years ago.

Then I heard this LEARNING TO FLY cover he did the other night and was shocked to hear Dylan circa 1995-2000 or something singing. So nice to hear!

Does anyone know when this voice was rediscovered? Just this year? Was there any physical reason for this? Did he have surgery, stop smoking?

Even when he's not totally on his game, compare this year's TOIB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZA9XyigTVs

to TOIB from 6 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cErXG-56IxA

Much nicer!

Sorry if this has been dissected already. I tried to search for a thread that dealt with this but didnt find one. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue October 24th, 2017, 18:06 GMT 

Yes amazing really. People tend to over Iook this drastic change. But when compared directly its pretty obvious. I remember back in 2011 dreading how his voice would be a few years from then. Nobody could have expected it to improve so much. He must have quit smoking or had some kind of surgery. Or maybe the almost acoustic tours of 2014-2015 gave his voice a chance of resting properly.

PostPosted: Tue October 24th, 2017, 18:07 GMT 
Titanium Member

I think it really started to come back around 2013.

PostPosted: Tue October 24th, 2017, 19:56 GMT 
Promethium Member

Fall 2013 was when he started singing stuff I couldn't believe I was hearing, though I suppose the turnaround began with the quieter Duke shows that spring.

PostPosted: Tue October 24th, 2017, 20:01 GMT 
Mercury Member

When I saw him at his last tour I too wasn't sure what to expect and was thrilled by a REALLY good show. He sounded great.

Seeing him next month and am psyched to hear the trend continues!!

PostPosted: Tue October 24th, 2017, 20:55 GMT 

Now if he would just put this vocal recovery to good use with a new album of originals, that would be the ticket.

PostPosted: Tue October 24th, 2017, 20:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

smoke wrote:
Fall 2013 was when he started singing stuff I couldn't believe I was hearing, though I suppose the turnaround began with the quieter Duke shows that spring.

Yes.
Agree that the Duke shows were some type of positive voice turning point.

PostPosted: Tue October 24th, 2017, 21:09 GMT 

Yep, the recovery of his voice in 2013-14 was pretty astounding, and it's continued to be in good shape since: far more flexible, nuanced, and with greater range than had seemed possible during 2006-12 period. Let's make no bones about it: the voice during that period (especially towards the end of it) was almost completely, heartbreakingly gone. So these last few years have been a massive bonus, in short.

PostPosted: Tue October 24th, 2017, 22:01 GMT 

The change in voice range etc. in 2013 - really something I did not expect to happen anymore - went along with a change in stage sound & mixing. The sound seemed to be much lower (on stage at least), Bobs voice was much higher in the mix, so he did not have to shout against a wall of sound anymore. But still - the change was so very drastic that it's hard to believe only in sound issues...

I remember that I somewhat quit the Bob-stuff in 2008 because his breathless croaking was actually impossible to listen to. It even went from bad to worse after that until 2012 and then a miracle happed, really.

PostPosted: Tue October 24th, 2017, 22:18 GMT 

People trash the american standard albums but his voice sounds the best since the early 90s. I think it probably has something to do with how he warms up his voice along with not smoking and I also think that he could have sang like that all along but just choose not to for one reason or another

PostPosted: Tue October 24th, 2017, 22:30 GMT 
Titanium Member

Was there ever confirmation whether he really got the barnacles scraped off his vocal chords or not?

PostPosted: Tue October 24th, 2017, 23:44 GMT 

I don’t know if I ever totally bought the “he chose to sing like that” theory other than for NASHVILLE SKYLINE but I certainly think his croaking era wasn’t a choice. It very much sounded to me like someone who no longer had any control over his voice and all musicality had been wiped from his vocal cords.

That’s why I was utterly baffled and pleased when I heard LEARNING TO FLY and then looked up other recent videos today. I literally checked the date of the YouTube video because I assumed the headline was wrong and it was a video from 15 years ago.

Can anyone else think of an instance of a rock singer’s voice degenerating and then gradually improving again that significant an amount? I can’t.

I guess that’s what makes him Bob Dylan. You can’t give up on the guy

I would like another originals album with his voice in this decent shape now. Also because I just can’t accept that history’s greatest rock/folk songwriter should just pump out cover material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed October 25th, 2017, 01:40 GMT 

yopietro wrote:
Now if he would just put this vocal recovery to good use with a new album of originals, that would be the ticket.

Wouldn't it just? I secretly hope he already has, with songs something akin to "Jokerman" in terms of musical and lyrical texture . . . one last blast!!

PostPosted: Wed October 25th, 2017, 02:50 GMT 
Promethium Member

Foggy wrote:
. . . one last blast!!

“last?”

PostPosted: Wed October 25th, 2017, 02:59 GMT 

The covers chosen for the last three albums were more melodically complex than much of what Bob has written, especially post-L&T. He clearly respects the material and has made an effort to stick close to the original melodies, necessitating a much more careful approach to singing. I think this carried over to his live shows as well. He's still willing to significantly alter the melodies of songs like Desolation Row and Tangled Up In Blue, but as the recording cited above shows, he makes a strong effort at accuracy of pitch when covering songs he respects.

Does this mean he could have been singing like this all along and just chose not to? I have no idea. I'm just glad to be around for this vocal resurgence, and thankful there are folks willing to capture these performances and share them with us.

PostPosted: Wed October 25th, 2017, 04:58 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Foggy wrote:
. . . one last blast!!

“last?”

Last before the next cycle of albums, silly.