Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri November 24th, 2017, 09:02 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon October 30th, 2017, 02:33 GMT 

Hey Llama hope you enjoyed it. I thought it was a good show but did have some rough patches. Glad I made the road trip, now I’ve got to stay awake on the way home - be safe.

PostPosted: Mon October 30th, 2017, 03:04 GMT 

Oh man! This was absolutely amazing. The band was on fire tonight. His voice sounded pretty good too. My favorite performance was Tryin' to Get to Heaven. The Summer Days hoedown really works. Love Sick was a delight. All and all, one of the highlights of my young life!

PostPosted: Mon October 30th, 2017, 03:07 GMT 
Promethium Member

Thanks Kudd! Always nice to have folks sending observations from the field.
Appreciate the photos too!

Glad you had fun.
"Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel."

Safe travels. (you too Llama!)

EDIT: ...and Mail Train! Great first concert ever for you, eh! Very happy for you!

PostPosted: Mon October 30th, 2017, 03:54 GMT 

Hey Bobby I need a lift.

The guy with the flat tire bout a mile down the road.

Can you pick me up?

PostPosted: Mon October 30th, 2017, 04:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

oh no kuddukan, so sorry for you, stay safe

PostPosted: Mon October 30th, 2017, 04:05 GMT 

Mail Train wrote:
Oh man! This was absolutely amazing. The band was on fire tonight. His voice sounded pretty good too. My favorite performance was Tryin' to Get to Heaven. The Summer Days hoedown really works. Love Sick was a delight. All and all, one of the highlights of my young life!

Hey Mail Train - you were right up close. I was in row 12 center and was hard to make out some little details.

What happened to George’s cymbal in Desolation Row?

It looked like Bob was wearing some kind of big round medal. Was that a bolo tie? It seemed to hang down to me like a medallion.

Bob looked like he had on the same outfit I saw him wear last year. Gray jacket, black shirt, black pants with white stripe, white belt, white boots with black tips. No hat. Not even to start.

I get a kick out of the bust having its own lighting details.

There was a lot of chatter towards the beginning on stage. Donnie particularly seemed to be talking a lot to somebody behind the drums? And I’m not sure what Bob goes over and talks to the boys about between songs - they are the same songs every time...

PostPosted: Mon October 30th, 2017, 15:31 GMT 

It was a fantastic show, 2nd of the weekend for me. Energy in the auditorium was unmatched compared to the other shows I have been to.

Thunder on the Mountain was the winner tonight for me. Nice to see that back in the set. Also glad he went with Lovesick over LAWY for the closing song of the main set. As mentioned above he did seem to do a lot of talking to the guys on stage tonight. Charlie was consistently walking over to Bob's piano, looking over at him. Overall, great show. People seemed happy there.

PostPosted: Mon October 30th, 2017, 17:39 GMT 

A pristine grade A recording of this is now up on Dime. Best recording since Frankfurt. New changes to Pay in Blood arrangement yet again..

PostPosted: Mon October 30th, 2017, 18:14 GMT 

I hate the steel guitar with a passion and there seemed to be a lot less of it on display last night. I was happy about that.

Charlie’s hair as he bobs his head kind of cracks me up.

That Love Sick was really great. I also realized that’s the only Bob Dylan song that Bob performs center stage all night long.

Those unused trio of mics - they were really in the way of the view from where I was sitting.

PostPosted: Mon October 30th, 2017, 20:45 GMT 
Promethium Member

Blind Boy Zimmerman wrote:
A pristine grade A recording of this is now up on Dime. Best recording since Frankfurt. New changes to Pay in Blood arrangement yet again..

Thank you for pointing that out Blind Boy.
Looks like Stories in the Press posted Iron Chef’s version in Rare Recordings.
Looking forward to hearing any new Love Sick nuances and Pay in Blood arrangement.
And another round of Thunder.

PostPosted: Mon October 30th, 2017, 21:38 GMT 

So glad to have this great recording as a memento of my show. Thanks taper!

PostPosted: Tue October 31st, 2017, 00:40 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:
Mail Train wrote:

Hey Mail Train - you were right up close. I was in row 12 center and was hard to make out some little details.

What happened to George’s cymbal in Desolation Row?

It looked like Bob was wearing some kind of big round medal. Was that a bolo tie? It seemed to hang down to me like a medallion.

Bob looked like he had on the same outfit I saw him wear last year. Gray jacket, black shirt, black pants with white stripe, white belt, white boots with black tips. No hat. Not even to start.

I get a kick out of the bust having its own lighting details.

There was a lot of chatter towards the beginning on stage. Donnie particularly seemed to be talking a lot to somebody behind the drums? And I’m not sure what Bob goes over and talks to the boys about between songs - they are the same songs every time...

I have no idea what happened to the drum set. Out of the corner of my eye I saw something fall off or fall apart. George started whispering to some maintenance man while George continued to drum with one hand. The cymbal started to shake a little while he was fixing it.

Bob was wearing the usual. That was a very special bill the though. I took notice of it right away. It looked like it might have been gold, but I'm not sure.

I was also wondering what Bob was saying to the band after every song. Very strange.

PostPosted: Tue October 31st, 2017, 00:59 GMT 

Awesome recording, these shows are gettin better, Bob’s into it, great energy.

Small lyric change in Early Roman Kings:

Speedin through the forest
racing through the fields
You try to get away
but they drag you back by the heels

PostPosted: Tue October 31st, 2017, 07:17 GMT 

Are you sure George didn't drum one-handed on purpose? Surprised to hear of any problems, because when I listened, I thought it was a delightful version of the row , spirited and fun. I would love to hear it again . course I wasn't there so I have
absolutely no contact with what was really going on. But all I'm saying is George probably knew Bob was a fan of one-handed drumming :lol:
Oh an i recall the big round metal is the peace prize medallion. Thought I saw that too

PostPosted: Tue October 31st, 2017, 07:57 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:

Looking forward to hearing any new Love Sick nuances and Pay in Blood arrangement.

Is Iron Chef's the same pristine one as on Dime? Can't wait to hear if so....

PostPosted: Tue October 31st, 2017, 08:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:

MrJudasPriest wrote:
Is Iron Chef's the same pristine one as on Dime? Can't wait to hear if so....

Great question of which has been re-posted over in Rare Recordings.
Maybe Blind Boy or Stories knows the answer?

PostPosted: Tue October 31st, 2017, 10:39 GMT 

Edith Piaf wrote:
Are you sure George didn't drum one-handed on purpose? Surprised to hear of any problems, because when I listened, I thought it was a delightful version of the row , spirited and fun. I would love to hear it again . course I wasn't there so I have
absolutely no contact with what was really going on. But all I'm saying is George probably knew Bob was a fan of one-handed drumming :lol:
Oh an i recall the big round metal is the peace prize medallion. Thought I saw that too

When I listened back to the recording I still heard the bass drum throughout. But I clearly watched George handling his cymbal with both hands at two different points in the song. And the hi hat was not put back together until the end of the song when the lights went out. Bob looked puzzlingly at George at one point and I think Charlie told him there was a problem with the drum. All in all they are consummate professionals and kept the song going!

PostPosted: Tue October 31st, 2017, 13:16 GMT 

YEs its that recording - If you use VLC player for playback try using the live seeting for EQ and ad the compressor = Crystal Cat level recording...