AndoDoug wrote:
Domino wrote:
I heard that half the audience walked out
Literally?

Nah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2138kXVIonY

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 05:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

Those twitters reviews are nothing new. They’ve been that way after every concert for the last many years.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 05:42 GMT 

Wait, when did the start playing Summer Days again? And what does it sound like?

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 05:45 GMT 
Titanium Member

At the start of the last tour in June. It’s a honky-tonk jamboree song now.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 05:49 GMT 

Nightingale's Code wrote:
At the start of the last tour in June. It’s a honky-tonk jamboree song now.

Thanks. I gotta hear that.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 06:02 GMT 

Those twitters reviews are nothing new. They’ve been that way after every concert for the last many years.

Exactly - unsuspecting working people fork out a generous sum, are treated like little perps if they dare take out their phones, and then get a deadly serious, inscrutable set with no acknowledgement from the stage. The point is, this breaks pretty much all the standards of the performer/audience bond, and as such none of these upset people are wusses, whiners or gripers.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 06:57 GMT 

Im sure this concert was jsut as stellars as many of his recent. People always wants something else, but really they ought to be grateful that people like him and Mavis are still out there doing there thing at this level.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 07:55 GMT 
Promethium Member

Sounds like everyone had fun.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 07:57 GMT 

Yes Your Highness

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 10:38 GMT 

Dan33185 wrote:
He played Lucky Old Sun as the last song, I don't remember that being part of the set this part of the tour?

No, appearances of "That Lucky Old Sun" are extremely rare in the last 20 years, the latest one before this first US live performance since 2000, was at the first show of last year in Tokyo.

Here are all appearances after 1986 (when Dylan performed it more than 20 times, during the True Confessions tour with Tom Petty, maybe there is a connection here)

05-Nov-1991 - Madison, WI, USA
19-May-1992 - Los Angeles, CA, USA
23-Sep-1995 - Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
29-Jun-2000 - Irvine, CA, USA
Early 2014 - Capitol Studios, Los Angeles, USA [studio recording for "Shadows In The Night"]
11-Jul-2015 - San Sebastian, Spain
04-Apr-2016 - Tokyo, Japan
25-Oct-2017 - Saint Paul, MN, USA

The question is: Will 2017 be the first year since 1986, where this gem will appear more than once?

mp3 and youtube links of the performances in San Sebastian and Tokyo at http://www.notdarkyet.org/sun.html

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 10:40 GMT 

notdarkyet wrote:
appearances of "That Lucky Old Sun" are extremely rare in the last 20 years, the latest one before this first US live performance since 2000, was at the first show of last year in Tokyo.

Here are all appearances after 1986 (when Dylan performed it more than 20 times, during the True Confessions tour with Tom Petty, maybe there is a connection here)
05-Nov-1991 - Madison, WI, USA
19-May-1992 - Los Angeles, CA, USA
23-Sep-1995 - Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
29-Jun-2000 - Irvine, CA, USA
Early 2014 - Capitol Studios, Los Angeles, USA [studio recording for "Shadows In The Night"]
11-Jul-2015 - San Sebastian, Spain
04-Apr-2016 - Tokyo, Japan
25-Oct-2017 - Saint Paul, MN, USA

mp3 and youtube links of the performances in San Sebastian and Tokyo at http://www.notdarkyet.org/sun.html
Hold up he played it a lot after Shadows came out
Edit: You were correct https://bobdylan.com/setlists/?id_song=27191 I coulda sworn!

Last edited by AndoDoug on Thu October 26th, 2017, 10:50 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 10:49 GMT 

AndoDoug wrote:
... he played it a lot after Shadows came out

nope, he did not, this one last night was the third one since Shadows came out; maybe you confuse it with "Stay With Me", which he played a lot

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 11:09 GMT 

http://t-recs-recordaday.blogspot.co.uk ... d-sun.html

'Lucky Old Sun' a tribute to Fats Domino by association? Not the obvious 'Blueberry Hill' of course.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 11:12 GMT 

onemorecup wrote:
http://t-recs-recordaday.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/record-0146-that-lucky-old-sun.html
'Lucky Old Sun' a tribute to Fats Domino by association? Not the obvious 'Blueberry Hill' of course.

Oh, didn't know Satchmo covered B-Hill

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 12:29 GMT 

It was a fine show. Certainly few, if any, walked out early, at least in my section and around us. Lucky Old Sun was a real surprise, and a real treat. Sounded exquisite. The songs from the old American songbook have become real quality. They sound magnificent, his voice is beautiful (in a Dylanesque crooner sort of way) and he really inhabits the songs. He seems to take great pleasure in them.

I also saw him on the first show of this tour, in Funner, in Cali. In Funner the "upbeat" tunes had a more boogie-woogie feel to them. Last night was a bit more straightforward rock and roll...at least so far as I can remember this morning before my first cup of coffee. Both shows were excellent. Presuming one knows what one is getting into, I don't know why any Dylan fan wouldn't want to go. They were great. He was great and his band was great. He remains the master.

Oh yea. Mavis is a marvel as well. What you don't get as a pure "entertainer" from Bob, you get from Mavis. I feel blessed that I was able to see her as well (my first time). Another national treasure.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 12:51 GMT 

Mr. Domino: "I liked that record 'cause I heard it by Louis Armstrong, and I said, 'That number gonna fit me,'" he told Offbeat. "We had to beg Lou Chudd for a while. I told him I wasn't going to make no more records 'til they put that record out. I could feel it, that it was a hit, that it was a good record."

RIP Fats Domino

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 13:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

WiseJake237 wrote:
That Lucky Old Sun was sublime, a welcome surprise.

8) 8) 8)
His recording of this beautiful song is probably my favorite of all his covers.
What a lovely treat from Bob for his home state.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 15:41 GMT 

My fav Sinatra tune by far! I'm glad he's played it again, I hope to hear it in Philly or Washington.

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 00:18 GMT 
Promethium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Dan33185 wrote:

Was, at first, guessing this might be a photo of Mavis, since she hit the stage about 20 mins ago?
Then noticed the post time.
Maybe it was an outdoor line or even a stage shot?

Dan33185 wrote:
No, just a photo of the stage before hand, security was pretty tough once the show started, so that was all I was able to get unfortunately. It was a great show, voice sounded better than the last time I saw him. It was my friends first time seeing him, she enjoyed it a lot,
bummed to see some of the early reviews here, didn't match up with the show I saw.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

If you want somebody you can trust? Trust yourself!

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 00:20 GMT 
Promethium Member

mission man wrote:
It was a fine show. Certainly few, if any, walked out early, at least in my section and around us. Lucky Old Sun was a real surprise, and a real treat. Sounded exquisite. The songs from the old American songbook have become real quality. They sound magnificent, his voice is beautiful (in a Dylanesque crooner sort of way) and he really inhabits the songs. He seems to take great pleasure in them.

I also saw him on the first show of this tour, in Funner, in Cali. In Funner the "upbeat" tunes had a more boogie-woogie feel to them. Last night was a bit more straightforward rock and roll...at least so far as I can remember this morning before my first cup of coffee. Both shows were excellent. Presuming one knows what one is getting into, I don't know why any Dylan fan wouldn't want to go. They were great. He was great and his band was great. He remains the master.

Oh yea. Mavis is a marvel as well. What you don't get as a pure "entertainer" from Bob, you get from Mavis. I feel blessed that I was able to see her as well (my first time). Another national treasure.

Nice!
PS: I like it when they walk out. Automatic seat upgrade.

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 00:48 GMT 

AndoDoug wrote:
@SJBarney 1 min ago
@bobdylan concert was the worst concert I’ve ever been to. We get it you’re old and stubborn but that was horrible for the price #bobdylan

Sounds like the poster is the stubborn one to me.

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 01:54 GMT 
Promethium Member

The Bard wrote:
AndoDoug wrote:
@SJBarney 1 min ago
@bobdylan concert was the worst concert I’ve ever been to. We get it you’re old and stubborn but that was horrible for the price #bobdylan

Bob is “just to stubborn to ever be governed by enforced insanity”

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 02:34 GMT 

Exactly.

I remember the day after seeing my first Dylan concert in 2001 (and being in total awe of the show), there were heaps of talk-back callers on the radio saying the concert was rubbish. Nothing new.

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 02:47 GMT 

The Bard wrote:

mystic garden wrote:
He's just too stubborn to ever be governed by enforced insanity

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Bob is “just to stubborn to ever be governed by enforced insanity”

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri October 27th, 2017, 03:07 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
If you want somebody you can trust? Trust yourself!

It doesn't change my feelings on the show, just amazing how 2 people can see the same exact show and come away with such different reactions to it. Unfortunately a lot of people go in expecting the 60's voice or at least a lot of the 60's material. I go in with an open mind, knowing I'm seeing the greatest songwriter of our time, so I guess I just appreciate what I'm given. I know I'm lucky to be able to see him, even when he's not in his prime.