Previous 2017 shows:
28 Europe Spring
28 North America Summer
07 USA Fall
----
63 Total 2017

---
10 reasons you should see Bob Dylan in St. Paul
Bob Dylan doesn't sound like Bob Dylan anymore. But here's why you should go to his concert anyway.
Star Tribune

Bob Dylan doesn’t sound like Bob Dylan anymore. You don’t need a music critic to tell you that.

On a good night, he might sound like Tom Waits with the studied phrasing of Frank Sinatra. On a bad one, he might remind you of an old bullfrog with strep throat. In any event, he sounds parched and not pretty.

Nonetheless, you should go see Dylan in concert Wednesday at Xcel Energy Center, whether you’re a longtime fan who remembers him as the Voice of a Generation, or you’ve simply never seen the greatest songwriter of the past 60 years. Here are 10 reasons why.

1. Things have changed but the words remain the same. Go for the songs, those lyrics that earned him the Nobel Prize for literature last year. You’ll likely hear classics, like “Desolation Row” and “Blowin’ in the Wind,” that remarkably still resonate today as forcefully as they did in the 1960s. You’ll gain an understanding of why Dylan is so significant in the history of music and culture.

2. Dylan has reinvented himself as a singer of standards. In the past three years, he has recorded three albums of the Great American Songbook, encompassing an ambitious 52 songs. These are tunes he grew up on — along with the songs of Little Richard, Hank Williams and Buddy Holly. When you listen to Dylan interpret these chestnuts, many of them associated with Sinatra, you realize that his phrasing is impeccable even if his voice isn’t. You can appreciate him as an interpreter, a student of American music. He plays it pretty straight, with none of the freewheeling phrasing heard on his own material. He was seldom a pretty singer, even in his heyday, but his current “standards voice” is strikingly musical. He typically includes five or six standards in his set these days.

3. You’ll gain a new appreciation for his more recent songs from 2012’s “Tempest,” his last album of new material. It’s an under-appreciated project. He typically does a few songs from that album, such as the scorching “Pay in Blood.” When you experience these numbers live, you’ll realize that Dylan is still writing with poetic potency.

4. He can be great on any given night. Last October at the all-superstar Desert Trip festival in Indio, Calif., Dylan gave what I thought was his best performance of this century. Opening for the Rolling Stones, he leaned heavily on his own classics and eschewed standards. A few days later, word came that he’d won the Nobel Prize. I caught him again this summer in Milwaukee on a mini-festival bill that included Willie Nelson, Jason Isbell, Sheryl Crow, Margo Price and Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats. Dylan was very good, but it seemed like just another night of the nearly 90 shows he performs each year.

5. He has a terrific band. Most of these musicians have been with him for years. Bassist Tony Garnier, who was born in St. Paul, has been on board since 1989. But the key player is multi-instrumentalist Donnie Herron, whose pedal steel and violin beautifully frame the standards. It’s fascinating to watch Herron and the other musicians keep their eyes peeled on Dylan, who now plays mostly piano and some harmonica, to see what direction he may suddenly lead them.

6. Dylan is in the moment. And therefore unpredictable, which can lead to exciting surprises. He rarely says anything in concert, but sometimes he’s moved to speak. In his home state, he’s given shout-outs to such Minnesota music makers as Bobby Vee and Tony Glover. He mentioned Paul Wellstone the week after the senator died in a plane crash in 2002, and Barack Obama the night he was elected president in 2008. In 1997 in St. Paul, the Minnesota native commented on his version of “Tangled Up in Blue,” saying, “You can’t sing and play like that unless you come from around here somewhere.”

7. Opening act Mavis Staples, an old friend and old flame, might spark something new. After she and Dylan toured together last year, she told Rolling Stone: “Now if we toured again, I really believe he would call me onstage with him.” He gave her a new song to learn so they could record it, she told the magazine. Maybe they’ll break it out in St. Paul, the sixth stop on their fall tour together.

8. Dylan seems to re-imagine his oldies anew every night. Will you recognize “Tangled Up in Blue”? Here’s a way to have fun with it: Play name that tune. If you listen carefully to the introduction to each song, the chord structures usually suggest the familiar melody line.

9. He should be on your bucket list. How many of you never made it to Paisley Park to see Prince and came to regret it? Dylan is a pillar of American music and a Minnesota icon. He’s 76. How many more chances will you have to see him in his home state? Go get tangled up in Bob. Now.

10. He’s still Bob Dylan, and he’s doing it with personality, flair and mystery — the same way he’s always done.

Bob Dylan

With: Mavis Staples.

When: 7:30 p.m. Wed.

Where: Xcel Energy Center, W. 7th St. & Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul.

Tickets: $52.50-$477.50

http://www.startribune.com/don-t-dismis ... 451693003/

PostPosted: Tue October 24th, 2017, 08:44 GMT 

Last time he played at this venue:

Xcel Energy Center
St. Paul, Minnesota
7 November 2012

1. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight
2. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
3. Things Have Changed
4. Tangled Up In Blue
5. Early Roman Kings
6. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
7. Summer Days
8. Blind Willie McTell
9. Highway 61 Revisited
10. Spirit On The Water
11. Thunder On The Mountain
12. Ballad Of A Thin Man
13. Like A Rolling Stone
14. All Along The Watchtower

15. Blowin' In The Wind

Part of the last leg to feature the circus organ. Live debut of Early Roman Kings.

Last time he played in St. Paul:

Midway Stadium
St. Paul, Minnesota
10 July 2013

1. Things Have Changed
2. Love Sick
3. High Water (For Charley Patton)
4. Soon After Midnight
5. Early Roman Kings
6. Tangled Up In Blue
7. Duquesne Whistle (Bob Dylan-Robert Hunter/Bob Dylan)
8. She Belongs To Me
9. Beyond Here Lies Nothin' (Bob Dylan-Robert Hunter/Bob Dylan)
10. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
11. Blind Willie McTell
12. Simple Twist Of Fate
13. Summer Days
14. Susie Baby (Bobby Vee)
15. All Along The Watchtower

16. Blowin' In The Wind

It's been exactly a year since Bobby Vee died. Will we see another tribute song tonight? Here's the performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_lx7yqgesM I am a sucker for this performance, he sounds tender, engaged. Rather lovely really.

PostPosted: Tue October 24th, 2017, 14:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Tickets: $52.50-$477.50

Christ, $477.50? Do you get to pick the setlist?

PostPosted: Wed October 25th, 2017, 13:38 GMT 
Promethium Member

Seems it might already be picked.

PostPosted: Wed October 25th, 2017, 17:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

Anybody going to this one? Maybe a Fats Domino song? He did play Blueberry Hill at the concert for one a couple years back.

PostPosted: Wed October 25th, 2017, 19:08 GMT 

Nightingale's Code wrote:
Anybody going to this one? Maybe a Fats Domino song? He did play Blueberry Hill at the concert for one a couple years back.

I was thinking the same, would be cool to see a tribute. Anyone know what time doors open?

PostPosted: Wed October 25th, 2017, 19:13 GMT 

He also played Blue Monday in 2005 in London.

PostPosted: Wed October 25th, 2017, 19:58 GMT 

St. Paul is such a nice city. Have fun to my fellow Minnesotans.

PostPosted: Wed October 25th, 2017, 22:36 GMT 
Promethium Member

jeremybaldwin wrote:
He also played Blue Monday in 2005 in London.

And Bob also echoed a bit of Fats Domino in the ‘Planet Waves’ song “On a Night Like This” :

Let the Four Winds Blow (Fats Domino)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ojOkTayuKws

PostPosted: Wed October 25th, 2017, 23:56 GMT 

.[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171025/16b1485eb2287114fab662b52a7031c9.jpg[/img]

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 00:52 GMT 
Promethium Member

Dan33185 wrote:

Was, at first, guessing this might be a photo of Mavis, since she hit the stage about 20 mins ago?
Then noticed the post time.
Maybe it was an outdoor line or even a stage shot?

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 01:04 GMT 

Didn't Bob cover Fats Domino for that Scandinavian tv Show where they played for one dude?

Nightingale's Code wrote:
Right. I think they'll play it!

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 01:40 GMT 

@emigurumi 33 min ago
I aspire to someday have the energy of this amazing woman, who I think is 78, and keeps shouting “I’m not tired yet!!” #mavisstaples #stpaul

@emigurumi 22 min ago
Very sweet time listening to Mavis Staples speak and sing about marching with MLK #stpaul #mavisstaples

@billdeville 18 min ago
We are a long way from the stage, but feel like we are in front row when @mavisstaples sings ! https://t.co/CfBYh9OZJq

@ChrisRstrib 14 min ago
Pics & video prohibited tonight, so you’ll have to imagine my heart exploding into a giant rainbow to get a feel for @mavisstaples’ set.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 02:53 GMT 

I saw Mavis in September and my goodness was she good

Here's a video she posted a couple days ago about the tour with Bob https://twitter.com/mavisstaples/status ... 8733800449

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 03:15 GMT 

@SJBarney 1 min ago
@bobdylan concert was the worst concert I’ve ever been to. We get it you’re old and stubborn but that was horrible for the price #bobdylan

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 03:25 GMT 

AndoDoug wrote:
@SJBarney 1 min ago
@bobdylan concert was the worst concert I’ve ever been to. We get it you’re old and stubborn but that was horrible for the price #bobdylan

I heard that half the audience walked out

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 03:40 GMT 

AndoDoug wrote:
@SJBarney 1 min ago

He's just too stubborn to ever be governed by enforced insanity

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 03:42 GMT 

Jay Gabler‏ @JayGabler 25 minutes ago
Tom Petty cover?
Fats Domino cover?
Mavis Staples duet?
I’m Bob Dylan, who the hell are you?

So Bob returns to his (sort of) hometown, plays the same setlist that's gotten rave reviews throughout the tour thus far, and people throw a hissy fit because he's not doing exactly what they want him to do?
"And Jesus saith unto them, a prophet is not without honor, except in his home town..."

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 03:59 GMT 

resent him to the bone
you got somethin better
you've got a heart of stone

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 04:03 GMT 

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Xcel Energy Center
October 25, 2017

1. Things Have Changed
2. It Ain't Me, Babe
3. Highway 61 Revisited
4. Why Try To Change Me Now
5. Summer Days
6. Melancholy Mood
7. Honest With Me
8. Tryin' To Get To Heaven
9. Once Upon A Time
10. Pay In Blood
11. Tangled Up In Blue
12. September Of My Years
13. Early Roman Kings
14. Soon After Midnight
15. Desolation Row
16. Thunder On The Mountain
17. Autumn Leaves
18. Ballad Of A Thin Man

(encore)
19. Blowin' In The Wind
20. That Lucky Old Sun

Set lists, reviews, and information on
upcoming concerts can be found on the Bob Links
Tour Infomation page located at:
http://www.boblinks.com

Bob Links Main Page:
http://www.boblinks.com

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 04:04 GMT 

He played Lucky Old Sun as the last song,I don't remember that being part of the set this part of the tour?

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 04:12 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Dan33185 wrote:

Was, at first, guessing this might be a photo of Mavis, since she hit the stage about 20 mins ago?
Then noticed the post time.
Maybe it was an outdoor line or even a stage shot?
No, just a photo of the stage before hand, security was pretty tough once the show started, so that was all I was able to get unfortunately. It was a great show, voice sounded better than the last time I saw him. It was my friends first time seeing him, she enjoyed it a lot, bummed to see some of the early reviews here, didn't match up with the show I saw.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 04:12 GMT 

AndoDoug wrote:
@SJBarney 1 min ago

mystic garden wrote:
He's just too stubborn to ever be governed by enforced insanity

juststepintothearena wrote:
resent him to the bone
you got somethin better
you've got a heart of stone

Apologists queue here

Last edited by AndoDoug on Thu October 26th, 2017, 04:30 GMT, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 04:15 GMT 

Domino wrote:
I heard that half the audience walked out
Literally?

@brjzn 12 min ago
#BobDylan St. Paul, MN concert 10/25/2017 an absolute bust. Dylan is a king, but in 2017 is an absolute horseshit concert entertainer.

@WarrickJack 44 min ago
Went to #bobdylan concert. Biggest disappointment in my life. Doesn't care about the fans at all. #tragedy

PostPosted: Thu October 26th, 2017, 04:22 GMT 

Dan33185 wrote:
It was a great show, voice sounded better than the last time I saw him. It was my friends first time seeing him, she enjoyed it a lot, bummed to see some of the early reviews here, didn't match up with the show I saw.

I agree, I went with a friend who hadn’t seen Bob since 2013 and we both loved it. New arrangements were great and That Lucky Old Sun was sublime, a welcome surprise. The standards were all excellent, actually. The people around us on the floor seemed to be enjoying them as well.