Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat November 18th, 2017, 21:15 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri September 29th, 2017, 10:20 GMT 

I just happened upon this interview with WILLIE WATSON (former Old Crow & current Folk Singer)

MD: I was wondering what you think of Bob Dylan’s last couple of albums? He’s kind of doing a similar thing, only they’re not really folk songs. They’re more of American standards, I guess.

WW: Yeah, I think it’s great. I like listening to those. Listening to those records, I get something totally different out of it than I’ve ever gotten out of Bob Dylan records. It serves a completely different purpose. I love that you mentioned that, because I’ve thought a lot about that; like he’s totally doing exactly what I’ve been doing. I wonder about it. I wonder: did he realise that maybe he doesn’t write as good songs as he used to? Did he get frustrated with writing songs? Did he just need a break from it? I wonder the same things. What inspired him to do that? I wonder: did he hear my record and think, “Oh, that’s a good idea.”

MD: That’s it!

WW: I’d love that. I’d absolutely love that, if that happened. I actually got a chance to play with Bob over the course of three days of rehearsals for a tour that I never went on, but I sort of got hired to join his band for a little while…

MD: What was that like?

WW: Oh, that’s like a two hour story! All in all, it was fantastic. I got to play Bob Dylan songs with Bob Dylan for a few days; and he’s one of my all time favourites, and has had a huge influence on me. I love Bob. I’m one of those crazy Bob Dylan fans. So, I knew he was aware of me, and I would love to think, “Well, maybe he checked out my record.”

https://www.13thfloor.co.nz/willie-wats ... interview/

I wonder what tour he is referring to. Maybe the AMERICANARAMA Tour?

PostPosted: Fri September 29th, 2017, 16:53 GMT 
Mercury Member

Wow, I wish he'd tell a little more.. I dig Watson.

PostPosted: Fri September 29th, 2017, 21:15 GMT 

Obviously the Unplugged tour!

PostPosted: Sat September 30th, 2017, 12:38 GMT 

Well, "A tour that I never went on" is misleading, I guess, because most likely the tour did go on, just not with Watson. The last full tour that got cancelled was the Summer tour in 1997, when Willie was just 17 and Bob had just hired Larry Campbell two months before.

I would guess he is refering to Spring of 2013, before they settled on Duke Robillard. Any time before that Watson most likely would have been too busy with his band to accomodate a 100-date per year schedule with Bob and "Americanarama" is unlikely because Linden said he was approached in Nashville (which is where Duke left) and it kinda doesn't make sense to rehearse with Watson for three days and then not use him.

Also, "Americanarama" rehearsals would have been stretched out over various off days and afternoon soundchecks mid-tour, was Watson described sounds more like a between tours rehearsal/audition to my ears. Especially considering that "Americanrama" DID go on and in fact was in full swing when he would have been approached.

PostPosted: Sat September 30th, 2017, 22:53 GMT 
Promethium Member

Hey, at least we got Winston Watson!

PostPosted: Thu October 12th, 2017, 02:02 GMT 

Handsomeinthefog wrote:
Well, "A tour that I never went on" is misleading, I guess, because most likely the tour did go on, just not with Watson. The last full tour that got cancelled was the Summer tour in 1997, when Willie was just 17 and Bob had just hired Larry Campbell two months before.

I would guess he is refering to Spring of 2013, before they settled on Duke Robillard. Any time before that Watson most likely would have been too busy with his band to accomodate a 100-date per year schedule with Bob and "Americanarama" is unlikely because Linden said he was approached in Nashville (which is where Duke left) and it kinda doesn't make sense to rehearse with Watson for three days and then not use him.

Also, "Americanarama" rehearsals would have been stretched out over various off days and afternoon soundchecks mid-tour, was Watson described sounds more like a between tours rehearsal/audition to my ears. Especially considering that "Americanrama" DID go on and in fact was in full swing when he would have been approached.

How is it confusing? He said a tour HE didn’t go on. He didn’t say the tour didn’t happen. He said he didn’t go.

PostPosted: Sat October 14th, 2017, 01:21 GMT 
Promethium Member

So he had a shorter stint in the 'band' than Duke Robillard or Billy Burnette...

I'd take it though. Like he said, he got to play Bob Dylan songs with Bob Dylan.