Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed October 18th, 2017, 00:01 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat September 16th, 2017, 01:22 GMT 
Promethium Member

Surprised no thread on Charlie winning this, so stuck it here in 'Tours' thinking maybe someone cares. Note that Larry was called in as Americana band leader for an under-the-weather Buddy Miller. Van & Prine recognized too...see article link at end.

Excerpt here:
As always, the Americanas gave full shrift to recently dearly departed acts. The live show and webcast opened unofficially, with the lights not yet fully turned on, with host Jim Lauderdale and house backup singers the McCrary Sisters walking Leon Russell’s “Tightrope.” Mid-show, Joe Henry and Billy Bragg teamed for a gentler, less finger-picky version of Glen Campbell’s “Gentle on My Mind.” The climax brought most of the evening’s cast back out for a group-sing of country star Don Williams’ “Tulsa Time,” joined by its songwriter, Danny Flowers, and led by singer/guitarist Larry Campbell, who’d stepped up to fill in as the leader of the house band for an ailing Buddy Miller.

Miller was still recognized, in absentia, via the instrumentalist of the year award that bears his name, which went to former teen idol and longtime Bob Dylan guitarist Charlie Sexton. “The Buddy Miller award is the best award anyone could ever get,” said Sexton.

http://variety.com/2017/music/news/amer ... 202559348/

PostPosted: Sat September 16th, 2017, 01:29 GMT 
Promethium Member

Congrats, Charlie! It couldn't be more deserved.

PostPosted: Sat September 16th, 2017, 01:36 GMT 
Titanium Member

Awesome! It's always weird for me when I see him labeled as a former teen idol.

PostPosted: Sat September 16th, 2017, 02:07 GMT 
Promethium Member

I know...what do they mean "former"?

PostPosted: Sat September 16th, 2017, 03:49 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
“The Buddy Miller award is the best award anyone could ever get,” said Sexton.[/color][/b]

right next to the Nobel prize, I suppose :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat September 16th, 2017, 04:00 GMT 

Nightingale's Code wrote:

I did not know this

PostPosted: Sat September 16th, 2017, 04:35 GMT 

The 80's would not have been the same without all that aquanet. Really the only way you could get that kind of lift in your hair. I'm pretty sure that's what ate a hole in the ozone layer.
He was in Thelma and Louise looking mighty tasty too.
Congrats Charlie.

PostPosted: Sat September 16th, 2017, 06:36 GMT 

Not questioning that Charlie's qualified to win this, but what did he do this/last year besides "Triplicate" to win *this* year?

Discogs.com does not have any releases for him for that timeframe,

PostPosted: Sat September 16th, 2017, 12:17 GMT 
Promethium Member

Reasonable question, Fog.

Don't think it will specifically answer your question, but there's an article or two about it on the web.

Here's one of 'em, including a vid clip of Charlie accepting his award:

In appreciation of Charlie Sexton, Americana Awards winner and Austin MVP
By Peter Blackstock - September 13, 2017

UPDATE: Austin guitarist Charlie Sexton received the Americana Music Association’s Instrumentalist of the Year Award at Wednesday evening’s awards show at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville. He delivered a brief and graceful acceptance speech after sisters Shelby Lynne and Allison Moorer presented him with the award.

The Americana Awards show is Wednesday evening in Nashville, and unlike some years when there’s a fair bit of Austin representation among the nominees, this time our only local in the mix is Charlie Sexton, who’s up for Instrumentalist of the Year. The AMAs often lean toward their Nashville home folks, so keyboardist Jen Gunderman (also very deserving) might be a slight favorite, with pedal steel ace Spencer Cullum Jr. and Della Mae acoustic guitarist Courtney Hartman also in the mix.

Regardless of how the results turn out, we should take a moment to recognize Sexton’s deep value to the Austin music community. News earlier this week that he’d been selected by the late Margaret Moser as co-director (with Monte Warden) of Moser’s memorial concert at Antone’s in December was quickly followed Wednesday morning by word that he’s serving as musical director for the Erwin Center’s superstar Harvey benefit on September 22 with Willie Nelson, Paul Simon, James Taylor et al. He’s also set to be at the helm of a George Reiff tribute show that’s in the works.

Our city routinely asks these things of Sexton because everyone knows he will deliver the goods, despite a busy tour schedule that keeps him on the road for much of the year playing guitar in Bob Dylan’s band. Consider the workload, responsibility and level of talent required, and just count your lucky stars that he’s one of ours.

And this: If you see his name in the listings playing an all-too-infrequent show of his own somewhere, just go. I did last week, and it was one of the best gigs I’ve seen by a local artist all year. This off-the-cuff iPhone shot I got that night isn’t anything special photographically, but I like the moment: Charlie fixed in concentration on his guitar, his bandmates following his lead.

PostPosted: Sat September 16th, 2017, 12:28 GMT 
Promethium Member

And the criteria is listed as follows on the Americana Awards website.
Number 6 is Instumentalist:

NOMINATIONS PROCESS FOR THE BEST OF AMERICANA

All members will be sent a “Call for Nominees” email in the spring. The nominees will be announced at a ceremony in May. The voting ballot will be concurrently sent to members. The winners will announced at the Americana Honors & Awards presentation at the Ryman Auditorium in September.

You MUST be a member of the Americana Music Association in good standing to participate in the Nomination and Election process. If you are not a member, artists may join at the rate of $35 per year. If you are an industry professional the rate is $75 per year. Click here to join if you are not a member already.

Below is the Criteria for each of the member-voted categories:

The eligibility period for the Americana Music Association’s “Of The Year” categories runs from April 1 through March 31.

1. Album of the Year - For any Americana album released during the eligibility period. Award to artist and producer(s).

2. Artist of the Year - For an Americana artist who has had an exemplary year based on overall recognition and activity whether through album, song, radio airplay, publicity, touring, or other criteria within the eligibility period. Award to the artist.

3. Duo/Group of the Year - For an Americana duo or group who have had an exemplary year based on overall recognition and activity, whether through album, song, radio airplay, publicity, touring, or other criteria within the eligibility period. Award to the duo or group.

4. Song of the Year - For any Americana single with original words and music released during the eligibility period. Award to the songwriter(s) and performer(s).

5. Emerging Artist of the Year - For an Americana solo artist, duo, or group having an exemplary year and first blush of national public awareness through overall recognition and activity, whether through album, song, radio airplay, sales, publicity, touring, or other criteria during eligibility period who has not previously been nominated in any category. Award to the artist, duo or group.

6. Instrumentalist of the Year - An award given to a musician known primarily as an instrumental performer having an exemplary year within the eligibility period based on overall recognition and activity, whether through work on an album, song, touring, or other criteria. Nominees are exclusive to this category. Award to the musician.

AGAIN, ONLY ACTIVE AMERICANA MUSIC ASSOCIATION MEMBERS MAY PARTICIPATE IN THE NOMINATION PROCESS.

http://americanamusic.org/awards-nomination-process

PostPosted: Sat September 16th, 2017, 13:23 GMT 

Thanks Barefoot! Guess this is a bit like the Oscars. If you are one of the greats, you'll get one eventually, even if it might have been more deserving years ago. Good for him either way!

PostPosted: Sat September 16th, 2017, 16:59 GMT 

goodmeats wrote:
Nightingale's Code wrote:

I did not know this

I'm kinda glad I did not know this :P (and I'm a glam rock fan). Much more my idea of a teen idol in his current incarnation. Congratulations, and well deserved.

(John Prine won Americana Artist of the Year -- not to take this too far off topic.)

PostPosted: Sun September 17th, 2017, 00:07 GMT 
Promethium Member

Palin & Meats:
I've said this before, but I was impressed with Bowie's guitarist at one of the Glass Spider shows, years ago, and found out later it was Charlie! I recognized Frampton, but the "other" guitarist blew him off the stage...little did I know I'd be seeing him so many more times in the future.

On this tune, Charlie solos at about 2 mins in:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yhHlExZnJn8

PostPosted: Sun September 17th, 2017, 00:20 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Palin & Meats:
I've said this before, but I was impressed with Bowie's guitarist at one of the Glass Spider shows, years ago, and found out later it was Charlie! I recognized Frampton, but the "other" guitarist blew him off the stage...little did I know I'd be seeing him so many more times in the future.

On this tune, Charlie solos at about 2 mins in:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yhHlExZnJn8

OMG (as they say) Barefoot. I saw that Glass Spider tour! Who knew?! I sure didn't. Looking forward to checking out the YouTube clip - thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sun September 17th, 2017, 03:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

Nice. See if it brings back any memories.

PostPosted: Tue September 19th, 2017, 11:13 GMT 

Delighted for Charlie who as well as being a Sterling guitar player is a top bloke. Does anyone have a link to actual footage of him receiving the prize? I've only seen one or two stills online so far.

PostPosted: Tue September 19th, 2017, 16:12 GMT 

Just recently located and purchased the four solo albums by Charlie.
The 80s one, ''Pictures For Pleasure'' is good, it's of it's time but good,
he has a slight inflection of David Bowie in his vocals on that album.
The album by him i most enjoyed was ''Under The Wishing Tree''
Glad he got the award, excellent artist.

PostPosted: Thu September 28th, 2017, 21:15 GMT 

Did any footage of him receiving the award surface yet?

PostPosted: Fri September 29th, 2017, 01:42 GMT 
Promethium Member

MrJudasPriest wrote:
Did any footage of him receiving the award surface yet?

Huh, I remember watching it shortly after.
Thought it was on this site somewhere.
Or embedded into one of the online articles...

PostPosted: Wed October 4th, 2017, 20:16 GMT 

I saw a Still photo somewhere that initially looked like a video because there was a play icon but when pressed...just a static pic alas.

PostPosted: Wed October 4th, 2017, 21:45 GMT 
Promethium Member

I watched his whole speech from a video embedded in a article somewhere.
It’s referenced on ER somewhere.
Didn’t miss much if you haven’t seen it.