Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed October 18th, 2017, 20:32 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 05:15 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat April 3rd, 2010, 17:44 GMT
Posts: 983
Not sure if we've done this one but thought it would be interesting (while we wait for next tour dates) to see what lengths some go to. I'm setting down a marker that I know will be easily beaten.
Going by the air miles calculator, the farthest I've travelled to see Bob Dylan is a 'paltry' 769 miles (1238 km) from London UK to Vienna Austria. On top of that you have to add on about 40 miles for getting to my house to the airport and the transfer from Vienna Airport to the city centre.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 05:18 GMT 

Joined: Sat August 25th, 2007, 21:54 GMT
Posts: 1726
roughly 100 miles a couple times


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 05:25 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat April 3rd, 2010, 17:44 GMT
Posts: 983
I was forgetting, the next day I travelled on to be at Clam Rock, an additional 85 miles from Vienna, so total mileage for that gig was about 894 miles (1438 km)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 05:49 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Thu September 3rd, 2009, 23:38 GMT
Posts: 1911
Location: Mount Vernon, Washington, USA
From my home to Alpharetta, Georgia, Google Maps claims the distance is 2698 miles. That would be the furthest from home I've seen a Dylan concert, but technically it's cheating because I was spending the summer in Nashville, so I really only traveled 256 miles to get there.

The furthest I've traveled for the express purpose of seeing a show was 902 miles to Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California. That was a great show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 06:08 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon August 8th, 2011, 09:39 GMT
Posts: 1780
Location: Between Lincoln County Road and Armageddon
A six hours train ride, about 600 km.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 06:19 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat April 3rd, 2010, 17:44 GMT
Posts: 983
movin_after_midnight wrote:
From my home to Alpharetta, Georgia, Google Maps claims the distance is 2698 miles. That would be the furthest from home I've seen a Dylan concert, but technically it's cheating because I was spending the summer in Nashville, so I really only traveled 256 miles to get there.

The furthest I've traveled for the express purpose of seeing a show was 902 miles to Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California. That was a great show.


Yup, good point. I think anyone else who was on their hols (eg visiting relations Down Under) and then noticed that Bob Dylan was playing just down the road and bought tix on the night should make it clear! I can smell the coffee!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 07:57 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue August 9th, 2011, 09:17 GMT
Posts: 1371
Location: a thousand miles behind.
400km (248 miles) from where I live to Rome and then 1800km (1118 miles) from Rome to Gothenburg.

I know someone here travelled from Europe to Japan, so that's nothing. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 14:20 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu December 27th, 2012, 20:36 GMT
Posts: 8461
Location: over the shadows & the rain
Drove over 1632 miles last October, from NY to Thackerville, Oklahoma.
stayed in Monkey Island, OK one night en route, which added a few miles.
great show & nice audience, fun & crazy road trip


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 14:21 GMT 

Joined: Fri July 18th, 2008, 16:22 GMT
Posts: 3996
Approx 5100km from Dublin to New York for the 1st 2 Beacon shows in 2014.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 14:26 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat June 1st, 2013, 08:42 GMT
Posts: 5835
Location: on a rail leading West
Chicago to Portland by air.
Then a driving trip from Chicago to Portland (where there was not a show)
then down to Park City, UT for the show


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 17:40 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue June 21st, 2011, 11:15 GMT
Posts: 1468
1100 meters.

No, wait, that was the shortest.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 19:44 GMT 

Joined: Tue November 7th, 2006, 15:14 GMT
Posts: 2923
9252 kilometers/5748 miles (Hannover -> San Diego)

(I have to mention that I saw some more shows on that fall 2001 tour – Sacramento, San Jose, San Francisco, Santa Barbara and L.A. – but San Diego is the farest place I've ever been away from home)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 20:00 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 5th, 2012, 18:52 GMT
Posts: 4752
Location: In a hole in the ground there lived a....
slewan wrote:
9252 kilometers/5748 miles (Hannover -> San Diego)

(I have to mention that I saw some more shows on that fall 2001 tour – Sacramento, San Jose, San Francisco, Santa Barbara and L.A. – but San Diego is the farest place I've ever been away from home)


Wow, you sir or ma'am, are a Super-Fan.

You could, however, divide the miles by the number of shows to get an average miles per show that was much lower.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue August 8th, 2017, 22:12 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue March 3rd, 2009, 13:13 GMT
Posts: 212
Location: Germany
The furtest distance I´ve travelled to see a Bob show was Frankfurt > Los Angeles (5781 miles or 9302 kilometers)...and it was worth it. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed August 9th, 2017, 00:14 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue September 12th, 2006, 02:27 GMT
Posts: 310
Alaska to cincinnati ohio
Alaska to denver co

Not sure of the miles but a long way


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed August 9th, 2017, 00:30 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed February 6th, 2008, 23:46 GMT
Posts: 3412
Location: Meh
Two different scenarios:

About 4,000KM from Cairns to Melbourne

Also at the airport when my wife and I were going on a holiday to the UK in 2008 I saw that gigs were announced in Spain while we were going to be in London. So I bought a ticket to Alicante show and got flight from London to Alicante, Spain for just myself...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed August 9th, 2017, 06:17 GMT 

Joined: Tue November 7th, 2006, 15:14 GMT
Posts: 2923
kuddukan wrote:
slewan wrote:
9252 kilometers/5748 miles (Hannover -> San Diego)

(I have to mention that I saw some more shows on that fall 2001 tour – Sacramento, San Jose, San Francisco, Santa Barbara and L.A. – but San Diego is the farest place I've ever been away from home)


Wow, you sir or ma'am, are a Super-Fan.

You could, however, divide the miles by the number of shows to get an average miles per show that was much lower.


right, the average miles per show will surely be lower, but not too low since I saw more shows abroad than in my home country and only very few in my hometown. Maybe I'll do the math sometimes…


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed August 9th, 2017, 22:33 GMT 

Joined: Fri January 2nd, 2009, 03:26 GMT
Posts: 109
1,017 miles, Chicago to Denver

I really wanted to attend a show at Red Rocks and I couldn't pass it up when Bob played there.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed August 9th, 2017, 22:58 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue August 23rd, 2011, 14:43 GMT
Posts: 1412
Location: Singapore
Singapore to Berkeley 6,831 miles
Singapore to London 6,736 miles
Singapore to Frankfurt 6,370 miles


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu August 10th, 2017, 00:03 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 5th, 2012, 18:52 GMT
Posts: 4752
Location: In a hole in the ground there lived a....
Although I haven't done this, the furthest possible distance I could have traveled to see a Dylan show is:

Perth, Australia

11,054 miles or 17,790 km


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu August 10th, 2017, 11:11 GMT 

Joined: Fri July 18th, 2014, 08:19 GMT
Posts: 203
London to philadelphia via new york is probably the longest journey / distance I've covered for a show

considered the Asia tour at the start of last year but balked at the distance and cost :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu August 10th, 2017, 12:50 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat August 16th, 2014, 12:59 GMT
Posts: 23
Location: in the balance of the reality of man
I took my wife and two daughters (aged 6 and 3) 10,126 miles from Geelong, Australia to Lingen, Germany to see Bob in April this year. Worth every cent and every second. We were second row - I'm sure Bob smiled at the girls while they were dancing on their seats! We spent one month in Europe - when my 3 year old was asked what her favourite country was she replied, "Bob Dylan"...proud moment.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu August 10th, 2017, 13:00 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed December 5th, 2012, 18:52 GMT
Posts: 4752
Location: In a hole in the ground there lived a....
wootaboutbob wrote:
I took my wife and two daughters (aged 6 and 3) 10,126 miles from Geelong, Australia to Lingen, Germany to see Bob in April this year. Worth every cent and every second. We were second row - I'm sure Bob smiled at the girls while they were dancing on their seats! We spent one month in Europe - when my 3 year old was asked what her favourite country was she replied, "Bob Dylan"...proud moment.


Nice memories!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu August 10th, 2017, 13:14 GMT 

Joined: Sun June 22nd, 2014, 19:26 GMT
Posts: 482
Just over 10.000 miles, Frankfurt to Melbourne.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu August 10th, 2017, 13:33 GMT 

Joined: Thu May 26th, 2016, 13:51 GMT
Posts: 31
This summer: 917 miles from Minneapolis to Barrie (according to Google Maps).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group