Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon October 23rd, 2017, 09:31 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu June 15th, 2017, 02:21 GMT 

This Nearly Was Mine. WRITTEN BY: RICHARD RODGERS AND OSCAR HAMMERSTEIN

PostPosted: Thu June 15th, 2017, 02:23 GMT 

chester drawers wrote:
....oh....is the harp back ?

Not that part of the old days, sadly.

PostPosted: Thu June 15th, 2017, 02:24 GMT 

OOPs, Bill must have rang in 30 seconds before me.

That intern is going to have to step up her game if this is the best she can do.
Bobdylan.com setlist says same as last nite.

Terrific and exciting changes, love to see the return of Scarlet Town,

and that Raven is back at my window.
Her wing is on the mend but still broken.

Last edited by Mistress Mary on Thu June 15th, 2017, 02:27 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu June 15th, 2017, 02:27 GMT 

My two cents about Tuesday's show:

This is my first show since the 'disastrous' Forest Hills show (tent blocked our view...screaming, angry fans...moved to floor, only to be pushed and yelled at by drunks, security guards, people who couldn't stop taking pictures...24 shows and by far my worst experience). As a result, I actually appreciated the security guards making people put their phones away. When I wanted to know the time, I asked a friendly neighbor.

Loved the Sinatra standards - My first Stormy Weather and Old Black Magic. I especially enjoyed Bob at the piano during some of them, although his lounge singer strut and microphone choreography were great too. I Could Have Told You was especially nice.

Wanted to hear To Ramona (haven't heard it live yet) but Don't Think Twice was a nice second choice. Haven't heard it in 5 years.

I gotta say I didn't love Desolation Row...but I don't often like it live. Like Spirit on the Water and Stuck Inside, it just plods along. I did enjoy the music for it last night, but from my place on the floor (ten feet from rail, center), his vocals were muffled. Ain't it funny how a song I don't know as well, the lyrics are crystal clear and then a classic comes and I'm scrambling to decipher. He had changed quite a few lines in TUIB (and flubbed a line, recovering with something about being covered in dust/...trust) so I was thinking maybe he'd do the same with D. Row, but I couldn't hear him well enough to know.
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure he also changed a line or 3 in Lovesick, which hasn't overstayed its welcome yet in my opinion.

Loved Donnie's contributions all night. The biggest surprise was how off the leash the band was (meaning Charlie, since Stu doesn't get the leads anymore). The Forest Hills show and the Beacon run were very tame and measured by comparison. A few years of playing these songs over and over have allowed them to spread their wings again, which I'm grateful for, as it's one of my favorite parts of the show. Bob wasn't at the top of his piano game (in my opinion) but he threw in some real good phrases from time to time and gave Charlie plenty of room to maneuver.

Others have mentioned the different arrangements - most of the classics felt new/different - different keys, different melodies. Desolation Row seemed to change mid-song. Even All or Nothing at All had a little extra going on at certain points. For the most part, they sounded fresh, if not exactly perfect, which is fine by me. I'm still missing the years when any song could show up on the set list, and things could get loose.

DQ Whistle was particularly strong - great jamming, great delivery. It's gotten better and better (unlike Thunder on the Mt, which I'm happy to see disappear).

I'll be back for Night 2 at the Brickyards, looking for Ramona :)

PS
It's funny that Bob put on the hat midway through - at the start, I was wondering where it was.

PostPosted: Thu June 15th, 2017, 02:36 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'm on the train back now!

They made me check my recording equipment. I'm out of touch with my old sneaky self. I plugged the stuff into my phone. I don't know if it worked. The ending will be cut if it did.

Anyway, this is my first Dylan show since my friend passed. It was very emotional. When he came out and played To Ramona on guitar, I cried.

The Jazz standards were really sweet. Bob was really funny during the intro to Melancholy Mood.

Summer Days with the fiddle was something else. Kind of like an old playing in an older slop house in the south. Something out of The Last Picture Show.

My head is burning from all the pot and cigarette smoke, not to mention the smell of whiskey that went straight through my brain.

I'm on the train back to Manhattan with some lovely folks that let me use their phone charger as I type this.

I have to take another train after that, but this show was clearest I've heard Bob in a long time. I wish I could have spent more time in the town.

No hat and no harmonica.

PostPosted: Thu June 15th, 2017, 02:37 GMT 

Wow, lots of shake ups as far as song choice/order are concerned.

1. Missed Ramona by a day...and he played guitar! I haven't seen him do that since...Hershey.

2. Summer Days - lots of jamming (I hope). Welcome return, especially without Cat's in the Well back-to-back :)

3. How was Scarlet Town? Menacing on the order of Ain't Talkin?

4. This Nearly and Why Try? How were they? I love the Sinatra stuff

5. How long was the show? 1 song fewer but not necessarily shorter...

PostPosted: Thu June 15th, 2017, 02:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

Scarlett town was menacing!

This Nearly was not as smooth as Why Try? But they were both great. Bob was holding the mic
Like he did on the tony Bennett tribute.

I was expecting an intermission but it never came. The show felt long, too long to stand, but everything had a place in the show. I wouldn't have changed a thing.

PostPosted: Thu June 15th, 2017, 03:05 GMT 
Titanium Member

Bill Pagel wrote:
Still trying to ID song 9

Port Chester, New York
Capitol Theatre
June 14, 2017

1. Things Have Changed
2. To Ramona (Bob on GUITAR!)
3. Highway 61 Revisited
4. Stormy Weather
5. Summer Days
6. Scarlet Town
7. Duquesne Whistle
8. Melancholy Mood
9. This Nearly Was Mine
10. Pay In Blood
11. Why Try To Change Me Now
12. Early Roman Kings
13. Desolation Row
14. All Or Nothing At All
15. Soon After Midnight
16. That Old Black Magic
17. Long And Wasted Years
18. Autumn Leaves

(encore)
19. Blowin' In The Wind
20. Ballad Of A Thin Man

Thanks to Ed & Michelle for the phone call.

Set lists, reviews, and information on
upcoming concerts can be found on the Bob Links
Tour Infomation page located at:
http://www.boblinks.com

Bob Links Main Page:
http://www.boblinks.com

wow awesome set list
:D thanks Michelle, Ed & Bill

PostPosted: Thu June 15th, 2017, 03:25 GMT 

goodnitesteve wrote:
I'm on the train back now!

They made me check my recording equipment. I'm out of touch with my old sneaky self. I plugged the stuff into my phone. I don't know if it worked. The ending will be cut if it did.

Anyway, this is my first Dylan show since my friend passed. It was very emotional. When he came out and played To Ramona on guitar, I cried.

The Jazz standards were really sweet. Bob was really funny during the intro to Melancholy Mood.

Summer Days with the fiddle was something else. Kind of like an old playing in an older slop house in the south. Something out of The Last Picture Show.

My head is burning from all the pot and cigarette smoke, not to mention the smell of whiskey that went straight through my brain.

I'm on the train back to Manhattan with some lovely folks that let me use their phone charger as I type this.

I have to take another train after that, but this show was clearest I've heard Bob in a long time. I wish I could have spent more time in the town.

No hat and no harmonica.

I'm glad you got to experience this show.

PostPosted: Thu June 15th, 2017, 03:33 GMT 
Titanium Member

To Ramona beats out Don't Think Twice anytime. Love to hear that Summer Days too ! Hope everyone who went had a great time

PostPosted: Thu June 15th, 2017, 03:44 GMT 

Let's hear what you got! What an amazing show!

PostPosted: Thu June 15th, 2017, 03:45 GMT 

Awesome set list! This peaks my interest for tomorrow. Although, do remember the one-off Stockholm show, which was also the second show of that tour.

Looking forward to the recording...

PostPosted: Thu June 15th, 2017, 03:59 GMT 

Great show! To Ramona was wonderful. Loved that song at #9, forget the title, sounded good. Can't wait to hear the show again. Also can't wait for tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu June 15th, 2017, 04:50 GMT 

from the rail again; same spot on stage right, audience left. really cool show tonight. first half was genuinely exciting. genuinely. i don't know how to describe summer days other than to say it was as if bob snorted a theoretical 2005 hoedown version with Alana James going apeshit on fiddle and then cut it with some prime heroin. it was pretty epic. they just got into it from the jump and killed it. perfect and worth the price of admission alone... not to bury the lead, but it was pretty high energy from the beginning, mostly caused by To Ramona on guitar. He was really feeling it after THC and just ambled over and personally plugged himself into the center amp in front of George. It was in the dark but everyone up front could see what was going on and was vocally in favor of it. Tony was cheering him on throughout the song and the arrangement soared in backing of it. Everyone in the band was pumped during the whole thing. Genuinely happy/excited. He was playing a starburst strat, holding it up high. Singing at the main mike like old days. Band energy was as though they've been waiting for him to have just a sliver of fun and he finally said, "f%%$ it, just once right now, but I won't really like it". Tremendous energy at that point; band was ecstatic. Scarlet was great. Has anyone mentioned no Tangled or Love Sick? I definitely missed both in the middle of the set. But Bob was on fire in the first half tonight. Tons of post-song/pre-song discussion. He was talking with George throughout and working on parts clearly (after one chat, there was an elongated instrumental break that was clearly not pre-rehearsed). Thought the second half lagged a bit, with the exception of LAWY, which was absolutely tear-jerking. Genuinely interesting show tonight... Hope everyone enjoys the next few shows. I'll be in Providence with my woman next week after a west LA getaway and that's it for me.

Cheers,

Abe

PostPosted: Thu June 15th, 2017, 04:51 GMT 

The best show I have seen in a long time. Thank you Bob.

PostPosted: Thu June 15th, 2017, 05:08 GMT 
Titanium Member

aberhwy61 wrote:
from the rail again; same spot on stage right, audience left. really cool show tonight. first half was genuinely exciting. genuinely. i don't know how to describe summer days other than to say it was as if bob snorted a theoretical 2005 hoedown version with Alana James going apeshit on fiddle and then cut it with some prime heroin. it was pretty epic. they just got into it from the jump and killed it. perfect and worth the price of admission alone... not to bury the lead, but it was pretty high energy from the beginning, mostly caused by To Ramona on guitar. He was really feeling it after THC and just ambled over and personally plugged himself into the center amp in front of George. It was in the dark but everyone up front could see what was going on and was vocally in favor of it. Tony was cheering him on throughout the song and the arrangement soared in backing of it. Everyone in the band was pumped during the whole thing. Genuinely happy/excited. He was playing a starburst strat, holding it up high. Singing at the main mike like old days. Band energy was as though they've been waiting for him to have just a sliver of fun and he finally said, "f%%$ it, just once right now, but I won't really like it". Tremendous energy at that point; band was ecstatic. Scarlet was great. Has anyone mentioned no Tangled or Love Sick? I definitely missed both in the middle of the set. But Bob was on fire in the first half tonight. Tons of post-song/pre-song discussion. He was talking with George throughout and working on parts clearly (after one chat, there was an elongated instrumental break that was clearly not pre-rehearsed). Thought the second half lagged a bit, with the exception of LAWY, which was absolutely tear-jerking. Genuinely interesting show tonight... Hope everyone enjoys the next few shows. I'll be in Providence with my woman next week after a west LA getaway and that's it for me.

Cheers,

Abe

Couldn't have said it better. My tape is pretty complete. I have everything until at least midway through long and wasted years, maybe a little more. I'll try to edit it and post tomorrow. It's 1am here and I'm just getting home. I'm shot.

PostPosted: Thu June 15th, 2017, 05:15 GMT 

can't wait to hear it.

PostPosted: Thu June 15th, 2017, 05:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

Thanks for your dedication Steve! Looking forward to hearing it

PostPosted: Thu June 15th, 2017, 06:14 GMT 

blessed to have Bob & the guys in our area & at such a great venue, surrounded by some super nice, true blue fans... 8)
caught the 1st show-
truly electrically charged & our guys were out of the gate charging ! :D
missed the 2nd & my Ramona...
was going to try to get a tix but got stuck at work til 8:20pm
will be at thursday's show & next weeks Brickyards :wink:
btw-most fun song ? that old black magic !
LOVE LOVE LOVE it !!
:wink: :D :wink:

have fun & safe travels everyone !!

ps-missing you my dear Leila, but i know you & my John were with us in spirit

PostPosted: Thu June 15th, 2017, 06:41 GMT 

Sounds like an absolute killer show. Hope they continue to mix it up like this. And more Bob guitar please :-D

PostPosted: Thu June 15th, 2017, 11:17 GMT 
Promethium Member

Remember when he played Summer Days every freakin' show? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu June 15th, 2017, 11:31 GMT 
Titanium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:

Yes. This was like when they closed out those 2002 shows and Charlie went nuts on guitar. The vocals here are incredible and they rival the album, except for a few lyrical stumbles.

PostPosted: Thu June 15th, 2017, 12:33 GMT 

Hope to hear this version of Summer days. As for the "new" TUIB. It seems they already dropped it after first try. Or maybe it was just a total mess of the old and new versions of the Euro tour. I could easily imagine Charlie and Bob starting out with the newer rockier version and Stu and & the rest having forgotten all about it and starting with the older more acoustic arrangement. Hopefully there will be a recording of it too.

PostPosted: Thu June 15th, 2017, 13:19 GMT 
Promethium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:

Not exactly a rarity, is it? It's still nice to see a change and considering all the songbook selections this show is demanding plenty of a casual fan - and how many of them know Summer Days anyway?

PostPosted: Thu June 15th, 2017, 13:58 GMT 
Titanium Member

Here's what I got
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsegbQD ... e=youtu.be

It ends at the end of Autumn Leaves and then my phone crapped out.

I'll split it up later and share the files. Feel free to comment with the times.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next