Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed October 18th, 2017, 09:24 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat December 24th, 2016, 12:59 GMT 

I'm a live virgin. I was gonna see him in 2007, but had to back out at the last moment. Now my girlfriends got me tickets for his show in April in Oslo.
What can I expect really? Is it most crooning, or has he levelled off into a wider scope by now? I saw the new video of Simple Twist of Fate live and am getting pretty darn excited (though I wont expect to see any guitar playing by Bob).
Has the hiding behind huge microphones thing gone by now? How does now compare to, say, two years earlier?

PostPosted: Sat December 24th, 2016, 13:15 GMT 
Promethium Member

Have a look around youtube for examples of live performances this year. He usually still does hide behind four microphones, and on a dimly lit stage, so you might want to try to get relatively close to the stage if you have general admission tickets and time to queue up for a bit. Crooning, yes, though I guess there's always still hope he'll get a little less Sinatra-ish next tour.

PostPosted: Sat December 24th, 2016, 13:32 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
Have a look around youtube for examples of live performances this year. He usually still does hide behind four microphones, and on a dimly lit stage, so you might want to try to get relatively close to the stage if you have general admission tickets and time to queue up for a bit. Crooning, yes, though I guess there's always still hope he'll get a little less Sinatra-ish next tour.

Yeah, general admission.

Fair enough, as long as he plays Things Have Changed I'll be chuffed. It does seem, from a random look at the latest set list of bd.com, that he played 8 crooning songs and the rest oldies/newies (not croonies), but I'm guessing all the songs are crooned-up.

Was the Simple Twist on guitar a huge departure in style?

PostPosted: Sat December 24th, 2016, 13:40 GMT 
Promethium Member

Not in style as much as in iconic image or rarity value. The musicians on hERe probably can tell whether or not Bob's playing added anything, but to my ears, not much.

PostPosted: Sat December 24th, 2016, 13:44 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
Not in style as much as in iconic image or rarity value. The musicians on hERe probably can tell whether or not Bob's playing added anything, but to my ears, not much.

Trick of the mind, perhaps.
It's weird. A week ago I would have laughed at someone going to a Dylan gig now, why waste your money? Crooning and no real dedication, and not even the haphazard punk approach that f@$&ng worked fifteen years ago. But now I'm dead excited. To be in the same room. To hear him play today, live, as it's meant to be heard, not bad audio quality with static...

PostPosted: Sat December 24th, 2016, 16:10 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:

It's weird. A week ago I would have laughed at someone going to a Dylan gig now, why waste your money? Crooning and no real dedication, and not even the haphazard punk approach that f@$&ng worked fifteen years ago. But now I'm dead excited. To be in the same room. To hear him play today, live, as it's meant to be heard, not bad audio quality with static...

Anyway, apart from the crooning you should get some classics - Tangled up in Blue, Highway 61, Blowin' In The Wind, Ballad Of A Thin Man, Don't Think Twice, It's All Over Now Baby Blue. probably not all of them but 4 out of those 6 would be good. You'll def enjoy, as you say - to just be in the same room!

PostPosted: Sat December 24th, 2016, 16:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

Download a few bootlegs and see for yourself.

PostPosted: Sat December 24th, 2016, 16:43 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:

Yes. Do it. No hesitations. It's worth it. Trust me, I was in your boat until 10/30/16 (first show).

PostPosted: Sat December 24th, 2016, 19:52 GMT 
Promethium Member

Anr Bjotk wrote:
I'm a live virgin.
What can I expect really?

I'm pretty sure Bob likes to be in the same room as live virgins, so you're starting off well, Anr.

Regarding expectations:
Easier said than done, but having no expectations usually seems to be the best way to see Bob.

PostPosted: Thu December 29th, 2016, 10:44 GMT 

As above

No expectations ever!

He will do what he is gonna do and you gotta roll with it. That way you often get wonderful surprises

PostPosted: Thu December 29th, 2016, 13:31 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
A week ago I would have laughed at someone going to a Dylan gig now, why waste your money? Crooning and no real dedication [...]

From the shows I saw live, he seems to be pretty dedicated to the crooning. And the result is much better than what you'd get if he were still playing like in the past.

PostPosted: Thu December 29th, 2016, 16:24 GMT 

A silent prayer for THIS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUNZRlCeaEI

PostPosted: Thu December 29th, 2016, 16:25 GMT 

His peak was probably end of 2013, with great shows up until the fall 2015 tour. What I've heard so far of 2016 has not made me feel like the consistency of performance is still there like it was from autumn 2013 through to the end of 2015. I'd like him to somewhat reinvigorate the show with rearrangements of older songs, rearrangements that necessarily accentuate his strengths and cover up the weaknesses. None of the Sinatra-covers he's introduced earlier this year have been any good in my opinion. Old Black Magic at the Japan shows just didn't work, and everything (including that Tony Bennett performance) has been lacking.

I'd expect a show pretty similar to what's literally just gone. Having said that, the larger venues like Wembley Arena may get a more traditionally rock n' roll type of show.

PostPosted: Thu December 29th, 2016, 17:11 GMT 

Oneofusmustknow wrote:
His peak was probably end of 2013, with great shows up until the fall 2015 tour. What I've heard so far of 2016 has not made me feel like the consistency of performance is still there like it was from autumn 2013 through to the end of 2015. I'd like him to somewhat reinvigorate the show with rearrangements of older songs, rearrangements that necessarily accentuate his strengths and cover up the weaknesses. None of the Sinatra-covers he's introduced earlier this year have been any good in my opinion. Old Black Magic at the Japan shows just didn't work, and everything (including that Tony Bennett performance) has been lacking.

I'd expect a show pretty similar to what's literally just gone. Having said that, the larger venues like Wembley Arena may get a more traditionally rock n' roll type of show.

Peak in the static era, you mean? I agree that the 2013-15 shows might be considered better than some of the lackluster years that came before, but his career peak was most definitely 1966, and 2000 for the ModBob era.

PostPosted: Wed January 25th, 2017, 01:46 GMT 
Promethium Member

Handsomeinthefog wrote:
Oneofusmustknow wrote:
His peak was probably end of 2013...

Peak in the static era, you mean? I agree that the 2013-15 shows might be considered better than some of the lackluster years that came before, but his career peak was most definitely 1966, and 2000 for the ModBob era.

Seems so. Still waiting for the next peak...or peek.

PostPosted: Wed January 25th, 2017, 01:58 GMT 
Promethium Member

Right...2000 even being on that list shows that as long as he's breathing any best comments have the invisible tag "so far".

Smart money would certainly be on him picking up where he left off but...my guess is some kind of shake up when this tour starts in Stockholm (the "nobel shows") which will be appropriate and much-loved but which will actually be better when he gets to Oslo. Plus there are rumors of a new album to consider. Plenty to wish for but I think you'll be pretty satisfied if he sounds like he did last fall, as others have said it's best to have no expectations at all.

PostPosted: Fri February 10th, 2017, 10:21 GMT 

I just booked tickets for the London Palladium Friday night show and I'm very excited. I love the standards albums and there'll be a fair bit of those included on this tour.

I saw him three times in 2015, twice at the Royal Albert Hall and once in Southampton, and all three shows were superb, with the Albert Halls being the best. I took a friend to one of them, who despite admiring Dylan and loving the show he went to at Blackbushe in 1978, had written Dylan off over the years... He was blown away by it, and declared it easily the best Dylan gig he'd ever been to.

I think it's important to go with no expectations, in terms of setlist, etc... but with an open mind and open ears. I think there's a good chance you might hear something incredible. Not every show is great, of course, but a remarkable number of the 20 or so shows that I've been luck enough to see have been memorable events indeed.

PostPosted: Fri February 10th, 2017, 17:30 GMT 

Rimshottbob wrote:
I just booked tickets for the London Palladium Friday night show and I'm very excited. I love the standards albums and there'll be a fair bit of those included on this tour.

I saw him three times in 2015, twice at the Royal Albert Hall and once in Southampton, and all three shows were superb, with the Albert Halls being the best. I took a friend to one of them, who despite admiring Dylan and loving the show he went to at Blackbushe in 1978, had written Dylan off over the years... He was blown away by it, and declared it easily the best Dylan gig he'd ever been to.

I think it's important to go with no expectations, in terms of setlist, etc... but with an open mind and open ears. I think there's a good chance you might hear something incredible. Not every show is great, of course, but a remarkable number of the 20 or so shows that I've been luck enough to see have been memorable events indeed.

Well, I hate the standards phase more than hatred itself. But I'm hoping he somehow decides to break with expectations and play some classics and/or "modern" songs too.

I'm sorry? Your friend hated Blackbushe? What kind of friends do you have? Blackbushe is pretty much the best since 66 and before 1993. I would give my left nut to have been at Blackbushe... Philistine ;)

PostPosted: Fri February 10th, 2017, 21:18 GMT 

Maybe read his comments again regarding Blackbushe.

PostPosted: Fri February 10th, 2017, 21:24 GMT 

Yeah, sorry. Just got back from work. I saw red :lol:

PostPosted: Sun February 12th, 2017, 03:31 GMT 
Promethium Member

Anr Bjotk wrote:

Well, I hate the standards phase more than hatred itself. But I'm hoping he somehow decides to break with expectations and play some classics and/or "modern" songs too.

Anr,
As a "live virgin" as you first described yourself, your gonna just hafta get off the self-fulfilling prophecy of hating the the Lawrence Welk shit, as difficult and challenging as I can see that is.
Accept what is and get in that room and have fun.
Don't be jaded by folks like me who are dying out here.
A classic "do as I say, not as I do" situation.
If you haven't had 'Darshan with Dylan' yet you need to go in open-minded and expectationless.
You will have an amazing experience regardless of any outside influence we may hurl.
Forget everything walking into that hall.
I can't wait to hear your first impressions, live.
I think you will love it!
What show is it again?

PostPosted: Sun March 19th, 2017, 11:18 GMT 

It's Oslo 4th of april.

Are there setlist posted anywhere from the 2017 shows? I equally wanna know and don't want to know what songs he is playing right now to get a gauge.
(I fear it's mainly Sinatra....)

PostPosted: Sun March 19th, 2017, 12:39 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
It's Oslo 4th of april.

Are there setlist posted anywhere from the 2017 shows? I equally wanna know and don't want to know what songs he is playing right now to get a gauge.
(I fear it's mainly Sinatra....)

Boblinks.com

PostPosted: Sun March 19th, 2017, 13:02 GMT 

We'll do our best to report here on the Stockholm shows (the only ones that will be played before Oslo) either live or short after the end of each show.

PostPosted: Mon March 20th, 2017, 10:18 GMT 

Sandy wrote:
We'll do our best to report here on the Stockholm shows (the only ones that will be played before Oslo) either live or short after the end of each show.

That's above and beyond the call of duty, sir! Thanks :D