Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu October 19th, 2017, 23:41 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun December 25th, 2016, 13:52 GMT 

Germany's maybe most popular online seller, eventim.de, runs a platform called "fansale". It's labelled: from fan to fan, as if it's designed for selling tickes to some interested person if you cannot go to the event for whatever reason.

Instead it's a platform for scalpers. As an example, there are two tickets for Frankfurt on offer, Block B, Row 1, Seats 17 and 18. These, of course, are those Golden Hot Seats or how they where called. Face value are around € 145, if I'm not mistaken (which is some form of scalping, too, in the first place). Anyway, you can buy those tickets via eventim fansale for € 999 each.

I wonder why eventim does not (have to) stop such unethical deals. Does not do much to their reputation, but this seems to be an old fashion thing these days.

Not that I consider the offered seats as good ones at all, first row, yes, but as they are on the very left side of the stage, I would advise to avoid them altogether.

Now I'm curious to see who is sitting there.

PostPosted: Mon December 26th, 2016, 13:11 GMT 

Long time lurker, first time poster. Thought I'd share my experience on getting tickets for Bob's London show (which, incidentally, will be the first time I see him live - becoming a fan over the past year has been quite the ride!)

I was waiting online at 10am for Ticketmaster to go onsale, with both my laptop and phone queued up. I'm still surprised to this day that as soon as 10am rolled around, TM claimed to be sold out according to my laptop. I've tried for all sorts of tickets over the years and I've never seen this happen before - I honestly doubt Bob has the kind of popularity which causes this kind of immediate sell out.

Interestingly, I did get through on my phone at the same time and nabbed two about three quarters of the way back. Not ideal, but I'm thrilled just to be in the same room.

PostPosted: Mon December 26th, 2016, 14:56 GMT 
Promethium Member

Welcome tmessenger!
Congrats and excited for you.
In the same room, yes.
Fantastic!

PostPosted: Mon December 26th, 2016, 21:38 GMT 

h.egbert wrote:
Germany's maybe most popular online seller, eventim.de, runs a platform called "fansale". It's labelled: from fan to fan, as if it's designed for selling tickes to some interested person if you cannot go to the event for whatever reason.

Instead it's a platform for scalpers.

send them an email – asking and complaining! (and see what happens)

PostPosted: Mon December 26th, 2016, 22:04 GMT 

h.egbert wrote:

Instead it's a platform for scalpers. As an example, there are two tickets for Frankfurt on offer, Block B, Row 1, Seats 17 and 18. These, of course, are those Golden Hot Seats or how they where called. Face value are around € 145, if I'm not mistaken (which is some form of scalping, too, in the first place). Anyway, you can buy those tickets via eventim fansale for € 999 each.

I wonder why eventim does not (have to) stop such unethical deals. Does not do much to their reputation, but this seems to be an old fashion thing these days.

Not that I consider the offered seats as good ones at all, first row, yes, but as they are on the very left side of the stage, I would advise to avoid them altogether.

I think you have answered your own question. The re-sale of these tickets may be unethical, but it's perfectly legal. I assume Eventim will get a percentage of the ticket price on "Fansale" and will be quite happy to accept inflated prices for that reason alone.

I also doubt that someone will bite for 999 €. The prices will come down eventually, but at the end of the day it's supply and demand.

PostPosted: Mon December 26th, 2016, 22:23 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Welcome tmessenger!
Congrats and excited for you.
In the same room, yes.
Fantastic!

Thanks! Yes, really looking forward to it. For me, the main thing is just being in the same room as him and hearing the legend himself perform.

PostPosted: Thu December 29th, 2016, 04:15 GMT 

Ticket sales are such shit now. It used to be a given that you could secure tickets in the first few rows if you hit a pre-sale the minute it started. I've still never seen Bob from further than 10 rows back but it's getting so much harder to get decent seats.

Most recently I tried multiple Ticketmaster pre-sales and the general sale for Bob's shows in Woodinville last year. All seated tickets were around $140 and there wasn't anything available in the first 10 rows. I checked Ticketmaster periodically in the days before the show and got 2 front row seats for face value.

The same thing only worse is going on with Roger Waters. I wanted to see him badly but VIP seats take up the first 20 rows. I'm not paying $250 to sit that far back. Argh! I'm afraid this is how it's going to be from here on out. Ticket sellers will take a shot at making huge money on good to decent seats and release the tickets at a regular price close to the date of the show if they cannot sell them at a premium earlier.

PostPosted: Thu December 29th, 2016, 10:34 GMT 

Yes it is about squeezing the last few pennies out of the concert goers, the way of much of the world these days!!!!

Right now I could buy an early entry 'VIP' ticket for Lund, plus a lot of plastic nonesense that I really do not want, for £218.

The promoter has nothing to loose because on the day, or a couple of weeks before, this ticket can be for sale at the box office for regular price and I will be waiting there to pay for it. They make their profit anyway and they are taking a gamble to make extra money in a way that they can not loose

It is not the price of the tickets that annoys me, it is the feeling that I am getting screwed and there is nothing I can do about it (and yeah I know I could just stop going to concerts at all but.......)

I wonder how many VIP tickets they would sell? Eventually surely the 'VIP' section just becomes another scrum to attain the front row. And they will keep making their money and not care.

PostPosted: Thu December 29th, 2016, 13:01 GMT 

Handsomeinthefog wrote:
h.egbert wrote:

I think you have answered your own question. The re-sale of these tickets may be unethical, but it's perfectly legal. I assume Eventim will get a percentage of the ticket price on "Fansale" and will be quite happy to accept inflated prices for that reason alone.

That's exactly the problem and their biggest motivation to allow this to happen. While the fees they charge for "regular sales" are relatively fixed, the fees applied in the secondary market are always a percentage of the price at which the ticket is bought/sold: the higher the price scalpers set, the more they make in fees from both the scalper and the person who buys the ticket. That also makes it harder for regular folks to sell their tickets at face value. In order to get just what you paid for your ticket, you need to set a higher price on those sites. I did a quick simulation a week or so ago on one of those sites and it turned out that I'd have to ask for almost 30€ more just to break even. On top of that, they would have also charged extra fees to the buyer. In total, if I had tried to sell my ticket there, the total fees they would have raked in would be 5-7 times higher than the fee they charged me for the initial ticket purchase on their main website.

PostPosted: Thu December 29th, 2016, 13:23 GMT 

stevieblooz wrote:
I wonder how many VIP tickets they would sell? Eventually surely the 'VIP' section just becomes another scrum to attain the front row.

I asked an "unofficial source" last year and was told that the norm for this type of GA show usually is to sell a max. of 15-20 VIP tickets. That would allow them to cover all the good spots in the front row without giving customers too much to complain about. I'm not sure how many tickets they actually sold (or will sell this time around), but it seems that the situation is similar to the seated shows: they sell really well in some markets but not so much in others.

Still, the trend seems to be the adoption of what's already been common practice in the US for a while now.

As I remarked in the past, I have nothing against them selling tickets at higher prices to those who are willing to pay for the best seats/ spots in the front. I just wished they were honest enough to sell those tickets as simple tickets (and not as part of packages that only include crap no one wants) during the general onsale and that they would then keep the prices lower for the seats they know aren't that good.

PostPosted: Fri December 30th, 2016, 05:14 GMT 

Lisa wrote:
Amos wrote:
I want to see kris
I'm sure u'll want more than that after you see him. but if you don't like bob singing sinatra then might be too slow for u.

If kris is singing kris then it's fine. If kris is singing frank then shoot me now

PostPosted: Mon January 2nd, 2017, 22:22 GMT 

hurling wrote:
Tried presale for Dublin with no joy.

If anyone has a presale code for Tom Petty in London I'd appreciate a PM :)

Dammit this post just cost me £175! Never saw Petty, so even though it's Hyde Park I've got to go. £230 for Gold Circle tickets is scandalous though.

PostPosted: Thu January 5th, 2017, 11:29 GMT 

For the Düsseldorf concert eventim.de is now selling tickets for blocks 14 & 34. These blocks are in the upper tier. If I remember correctly, tickets for the upper tier went not on sale when ticket sales initially started. It was only when seats in the stalls and the lower tier were more or less gone (regardless if some of them have been held back) that eventim sold tickets for the upper tier blocks 13 & 33, meanwhile these tickets are gone, too. So it seems that sales are really good this time.

Seems like upper tier blocks will go on sale bye and bye and the venue will be sold out complete within the next tow months or so (including the blocks 12 & 35). Isn't it funny? Can't wait for peopel's reports.