Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri October 20th, 2017, 14:33 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ticket Sales Bollocks
PostPosted: Tue December 13th, 2016, 13:16 GMT 

Tickets were supposedly on sale to general public at 10am this morning (Tues. 13.12.16), so how come all venues seemed to be pretty much sold out the instant the clock chimed ten? I understand that there were 'pre-sales' yesterday but qualification for such sales was not made clear. I checked the Cardiff tickets last night and saw that all remaining tickets (all at a standard price of £65 PLUS extortionate booking fee of £8 when there were supposed to be tickets available from £55) were available. Stupidly thinking that a far larger number with a wider range of seating choices would become available this morning, I waited. Pretty thick, I know. I just about managed to snap a single ticket in a pretty shitty position before everything went at about two minutes past ten. The whole situation is ridiculous. OK, there is going to be massive demand but I'd prefer a level playing field for all, where information is clear and simple i.e. ALL to be made available at the same time with clear pricing and just take my chances to join the cattle in the arena shed. I do count myself lucky to have grabbed my solitary ticket; I fear many other long time fanatics with relatively small funds will end up disappointed. Sucks.

PostPosted: Tue December 13th, 2016, 13:35 GMT 

Yeah, I have to agree, the ticket online set-up is a shambles. Glasgow's had gone very quickly, I luckily managed to get tickets from here http://www.seetickets.com/event/bob-dylan-and-his-band/clyde-auditorium-secc/1056246 at face value. Amazingly the scalper sites had them all marked up already. How is this allowed? All the excuses from promoters etc are just lazy/greedy. When Tom Waits announce his last tour here in Europe it was 2 tickets from the box office per applicant and they had to send in names and they were dispatched, no scalpers outside any venues, just fans, ID at the door, it isn't hard to do. I really wish the artists would show some respect for their fans.

PostPosted: Tue December 13th, 2016, 13:40 GMT 

seems to be the same now in Europe as in US

we do not want to feed scalpers

:evil: :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue December 13th, 2016, 14:05 GMT 

Totally agree. Buying tickets these days is a joke. The whole VIP shit is a disgrace. £250 just to get a ticket in front block and some tacky laminate and a t-shirt. VIP used to mean that maybe you were a guest with Sony and got given a good seat and a few free beers chucked into the equation. These days VIP means basically if you want a good seat at front you are going to have to pay 3 x or 4 x standard price. Hardly VIP.

The other thing that annoys me is Get Me In (Ticketmaster basically). Having submitted your request with Ticketmaster and you receive the message that no tickets are available they ensure the link to Get Me In is right next to the message. Meaning they want you to click on that and then purchase for £150+ a ticket. Total joke!

However the reality is that this is how it is these days. Long gone are the days of if you queued all night at the Hammy O you got good seats at the front. Now it is simply down to if you are prepared to pay quadruple the standard price.

I wanted 2 for Bournemouth in the Terrace and was lucky enough to get them. However I still think the whole ticket thing is a total rip off these days.

PostPosted: Tue December 13th, 2016, 14:18 GMT 
Promethium Member

I'm supporting neither the VIP / early entry rip-off nor the secondary sales scalping sites... both equally suck.

PostPosted: Tue December 13th, 2016, 17:52 GMT 

Perhaps it should be the responsibility of the artist to ensure their fans don't get ripped off. It can be done.

PostPosted: Tue December 13th, 2016, 18:24 GMT 

I thought the year musicglue was used was much better. There's greed everywhere nowadays.

PostPosted: Tue December 13th, 2016, 18:50 GMT 

Tried presale for Dublin with no joy.

If anyone has a presale code for Tom Petty in London I'd appreciate a PM :)

PostPosted: Tue December 13th, 2016, 18:57 GMT 

hurling wrote:
Tried presale for Dublin with no joy.

If anyone has a presale code for Tom Petty in London I'd appreciate a PM :)

seriously? I wonder where all the tickets are. Guess I wont have any luck tomorrow w the regular sale sigh

PostPosted: Tue December 13th, 2016, 19:10 GMT 

To be fair, the Three presales are usually poor anyway so wasn't expecting much

PostPosted: Tue December 13th, 2016, 19:12 GMT 
Promethium Member

Lisa wrote:
seriously? I wonder where all the tickets are. Guess I wont have any luck tomorrow w the regular sale sigh

Oh, you know where they are...

PostPosted: Tue December 13th, 2016, 19:17 GMT 

bots are operating. They are automatically buying up tickets within seconds which are late resold on secondary sites.
see: https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/govern ... -practices

PostPosted: Tue December 13th, 2016, 23:19 GMT 

Bots are definitely a huge problem, but fans are partially to blame for that. If people weren't willing to buy those tickets in the secondary market at those prices, the bots would be less of a problem, since the business wouldn't be as profitable. Agencies/scalpers only bother to buy tickets when they're convinced they can sell them at higher prices. That's why this is a bigger problem in specific markets and a non-issue in others. On the other hand, if attendance at shows that sell out immediately were to drop drastically (which would happen if no one bought those tickets in the secondary market), venues would also have more of an incentive to pressure ticket agents to find a solution: they staff the venue based on the number of tickets sold, but if the owners of those tickets then don't show up, the revenue of their concessions suffers, which would be a bit of a problem in the medium/long term for larger venues and a more serious issue for small venues (which sometimes run their own bars instead).

The fact that scalping has been made legal in some jurisdictions with the introduction of reselling services by some of the companies that have the contracts to sell the tickets in the first place is even worse. They don't really bother to try to stop the use of bots (or to cancel tickets bought that way) because they stand to profit from it. If a ticket is bought by a scalper and lands on their own secondary market website, they make money twice: they charge fees for the initial purchase and then they charge even higher fees when the ticket is sold again. On top of that, there's also cases where they then get to keep the initial postage fee without having to spend that money, since they allow the ticket to be sent directly to the new buyer. This issue is hard to solve on a legislative level, but could be easily solved if promoters and venues were interested.

Another big problem is the way tickets are still sold for many shows. Instead of using a centralized database, venues/promoters assign blocks of tickets to a bunch of different agents. That's why it often happens that Ticketmaster says there aren't any tickets available for a show anymore, but people can still find them on websites from other agencies. Given that we're almost in 2017 already, this issue could be easily solved. When someone wants to know whether it's still possible to buy a ticket for a specific flight, there's no need to check every single agency website. There's no reason for things to be different when it comes to concert tickets.

As for the prices of some tickets, I have less of an issue with it than many here. I just wish they were honest about it and simply said they were going to charge much higher prices for certain seats, instead of making up those silly VIP packages, which only result in fans having to pay even higher processing fees and ending up with a bunch of garbage no one wants. Even though I'm very far from being anything that could even be mistaken for rich, I have bought some VIP packages in the past, because it was the only way to get the seats I wanted. At the end, I didn't spend much more than I'd have otherwise - I just went to less shows. Ironically, that actually meant less money for the promoters, since a significant chunk of the money I spent went to fees that the ticket agent gets to keep. I could have chosen to get worse tickets and go to more shows, but I didn't and it was totally my call.

For me, it's fine if artists want to charge higher prices for certain or even all tickets. When they do that, they know they're pricing lots of people out of their shows. If that's what they want, I think they should feel free to do so. It's then up to the fans to decide whether they're able and willing to pay those prices. Some people are never able to afford to go to any paid shows, no matter how low the prices are; others have the privilege of being able to decide how far they're willing to go. I have never seen the Rolling Stones live exactly for that reason: every time I had the opportunity to go, all decent tickets were priced at a level far above what I consider acceptable for their show and I wasn't willing to pay just to watch TV (which is basically what most people do in those shows, since it's otherwise impossible to see what's going on on stage), so I decided not to go. Even if I might have liked to, the situation is no different from many others, like not being able to afford an apartment downtown or not having money to buy a Tesla like the one often parked on my street or not having enough money for that multi-year trip around the world or not being able to buy whatever that new fancy egg toy is for Xmas. We might have liked things to be different, but the world won't end just because Bob prefers the richer folks to be closer to him than the rest of us.

PostPosted: Wed December 14th, 2016, 00:52 GMT 

I don't think Bob even thought of it. But he should.

PostPosted: Wed December 14th, 2016, 02:03 GMT 
Promethium Member

A similar feeling to the recent US election.
Maybe on a different scale, but quite similar.

PostPosted: Wed December 14th, 2016, 09:38 GMT 

i believe in you wrote:
I thought the year musicglue was used was much better. There's greed everywhere nowadays.

Actually, yeah in 2013. Might be the last time I ever see Bob.

PostPosted: Wed December 14th, 2016, 13:27 GMT 
Promethium Member

i believe in you wrote:
There's greed everywhere nowadays.

Well, the greed has always been there, just a higher visibility these days and more obvious now, due to technology.
Entrepreneurs will always find ways to make money, and some leave their ethics to the wind.
As in this realm. A case of bottom-feeding around high ticket demand. Money flyin' everywhere.
Entertainment & Sports are great places to take advantage of disposable income.

PostPosted: Wed December 14th, 2016, 22:14 GMT 

i was at the ticket window in glasgow secc early, well before they started the sales at 10, I was first in the line and they had NO front centre block tickets available at all; much to the confusion of the helpful lady behind the window.
Got good seats at the inside edge of the side block 4th row but there is something stinking about this ticket sale, worse i have seen for bob i think. I hope these scalpers all get screwed and are left holding tickets.

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2016, 07:06 GMT 

Front row for bob was 450 USD this last tour. Face value. Here's how it works in the US
You want to sit up front, you pay albeit a scalper or the original scalper aka ticket agency/box office. That's how it works. People complain they hate scalping , well the box offices had deals with certain 3rd party ticket resale vendors. Now they realize they can make more by organized scalping. So now pick, how do you want to get screwed, by the scalper or by the ticket agency?

I saw some of the European tix prices. Cheaper than US. be happy you don't have to pay as much to hear a show full of standards.

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2016, 09:43 GMT 
Mercury Member

This is a side issue and I hope it doesn't derail this interesting thread, but I was interested to know how much Caruso got per performance in today's money and compared to Elvis in his Las Vegas days. Both were earning over $100,000 per show 120k for Caruso, 140k for Elvis.

Now look at these figures:

The top 10 earning touring artists: (Average Net per show/Average Ticket Price)

1. The Rolling Stones; $8,288,770; $358.97.

2. Taylor Swift; $1,784,275; $82.24.

3. Kenny Chesney; $1,597,306; $76.73.

4. Bon Jovi; $1,560,127; $99.88.

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2016, 11:42 GMT 

Kristofferson tickets are 90€ for next summer's euro tour... doubled since last fall when the average was less than 50 . surprised he costs the same as dylan now.. but sure i ll pay for a little bit of nashville in the alps. ..i cant not go here http://www.burgarena.at/ :)

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2016, 12:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

Lisa wrote:
Kristofferson tickets are 90€ for next summer's euro tour... doubled since last fall when the average was less than 50 . surprised he costs the same as dylan now.. but sure i ll pay for a little bit of nashville in the alps. ..i cant not go here http://www.burgarena.at/ :)

Ohh that's pretty. Let's convince Bob to play there.

Not surprised about ticket prices though. They're dealing in mortality. Tasteless business for sure.

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2016, 12:16 GMT 
Titanium Member

Lisa wrote:

What a beautiful venue!

PostPosted: Fri December 23rd, 2016, 03:36 GMT 

I want to see kris

PostPosted: Fri December 23rd, 2016, 17:27 GMT 

Amos wrote:
I want to see kris
I'm sure u'll want more than that after you see him. but if you don't like bob singing sinatra then might be too slow for u.