Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat October 21st, 2017, 19:37 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed December 21st, 2016, 22:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

Oddly, it reminds me of the Masked and Anonymous acoustic performances, with George on brushes and Tony on upright bass. Also has a surprising Americana vibe with the steel guitar.

PostPosted: Wed December 21st, 2016, 22:24 GMT 
Promethium Member

Dark glasses on that dark a stage, Charlie?

PostPosted: Wed December 21st, 2016, 22:40 GMT 
Mercury Member

Thanks for the youtube, Angus! Go Bob!

PostPosted: Wed December 21st, 2016, 22:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

chester drawers wrote:
Bozo called, Bob........he wants his hair back.

yeah, I watched the show last night, that song would fit right I with the Frank stuff he is doing these days.

PostPosted: Wed December 21st, 2016, 23:00 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
Oddly, it reminds me of the Masked and Anonymous acoustic performances, with George on brushes and Tony on upright bass. Also has a surprising Americana vibe with the steel guitar.

Yes, I went in expecting rain (haha), but I was pleasantly surprised. A beautifully delicate vocal, that really transformed what nornally would be an average song.

PostPosted: Wed December 21st, 2016, 23:37 GMT 

He used the Gordon Jenkins arrangement from Sinatra's September of My Years as opposed to Tony's version.

PostPosted: Wed December 21st, 2016, 23:45 GMT 
Promethium Member

trevgibb wrote:
He used the Gordon Jenkins arrangement from Sinatra's September of My Years as opposed to Tony's version.

Ya, I always preferred the Jenkins version so much more, especially at bedtime.

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2016, 00:46 GMT 

Something Clever wrote:

Thank you so much for capturing it!

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2016, 03:05 GMT 
Promethium Member

This is a lovely performance - I do wish he'd lose the silly hair dye or wig or whatever the hell he's doing. It looks like someone photoshopped in his hair from 1986. There were some great professional shots of him at the end of 2013 with a beautiful mane of grey hair - it was both dignified and glorious. That may have been a wig or a dye job for all I know...but at least it looked good.

Those are quibbles, of course, he sounded great which is what counts.

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2016, 04:15 GMT 

chester drawers wrote:
Bozo called, Bob........he wants his hair back.

:lol: I just really gave a good belly laugh. Omg hilarious

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2016, 04:35 GMT 

Sandy wrote:
Amos wrote:
What's up with the Lady GaGa bashing? Sorry she has talent regardless if you like her.

I don't think that a lack of talent was what most people were referring to here.

Amos wrote:
I can't fathom anyone saying that guy's performance of Autumn Leaves was atrocious when the person this site is dedicated to hacks the hell out of the song.

Again, the comment wasn't about the guy's performance. I do find that arrangement atrocious no matter who sang it and/or how well it was performed.

Still, it's always good to see that there are people who have very different tastes, even within this small space.

Well semantics is everything. "That version" doesn't specify arrangement or guy's performance. Guess it was open to interpretation. Comments similar to suffering through lady Gaga etc. I just find it ridiculous bc Dylan singing a standard was the biggest joke on that show and the worst performance. For Bob, it wasn't bad, but compared to someone who can technically sing a standard.... he sucked.
I love Bob's music, and I love his voice. I just love it used correctly and appropriately. What next, Dylan sings Opera? Guaranteed there will be people out there saying how fabulous it is. Scary

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2016, 07:39 GMT 

Thanks, gibson, for this clip. A great effort, I really appreciate it!
And of course what a great performance. I'm not sure about the hair, but I was pleasantly surprised by Bob's singing.

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2016, 10:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

kuddukan wrote:
Bobs performance is in HD on my DVR but I've no way to get it off that Dish Hopper unless someone knows how and can explain it.

Back in the day of VHS and DVD recorders, I used to be a master at this. Unfortunately, there are no solid consumer tools for ripping hd tv. You'd have to get some kind of converter box that you can connect to your computer to capture in real time. You'd think you'd be able to drag the file off your dvr, maybe there's a hack for that.

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2016, 11:48 GMT 

Could the DVR not be recorded to DVD (presuming you have a DVD recorder), then put on a laptop and extracted?

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2016, 16:14 GMT 

trevgibb wrote:
Could the DVR not be recorded to DVD (presuming you have a DVD recorder), then put on a laptop and extracted?

DVD wouldn't be in HD anymore.

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2016, 19:54 GMT 
Senior Moderator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mlmwU7Fvys

Better quality.

PostPosted: Thu December 22nd, 2016, 21:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

It's a shame they don't make bluray recorders for consumers

PostPosted: Sun December 25th, 2016, 03:51 GMT 
Promethium Member

Amos wrote:
...Comments similar to suffering through lady Gaga etc. I just find it ridiculous bc Dylan singing a standard was the biggest joke on that show and the worst performance. For Bob, it wasn't bad, but compared to someone who can technically sing a standard.... he sucked.
I love Bob's music, and I love his voice. I just love it used correctly and appropriately. What next, Dylan sings Opera? Guaranteed there will be people out there saying how fabulous it is. Scary

I'm sure that any Dylan performance, especially from the last 25 years, will have many people running from the room, but I thought it was better than "not bad" Bob. He did hit a couple nasally notes which might bring out the familiar jokes and impersonations, but most fans will surely love this performance, and the song choice for Dylan at this stage of the game was inspired and really gives him something to work with (which he takes full advantage of, perhaps even a bit dramatically at times).
I've only seen it twice now because I've been working so much, and I tried to watch it live but I couldn't stay awake so I didn't see Gaga, but there was nothing wrong with the other singers I did see. That said, to say he "sucked" because his pitch isn't as correct as most singers is missing the point as much as it is when sings rock and roll. The stylistic distinction is all in your mind: communication trumps technicality no matter what is being played, and Dylan wrung more meaning out of this than your typical performer gets out of a 3 minute Prime-Time-TV musical number, by a long shot.

PostPosted: Sun December 25th, 2016, 07:16 GMT 

smoke wrote:
Amos wrote:
...Comments similar to suffering through lady Gaga etc. I just find it ridiculous bc Dylan singing a standard was the biggest joke on that show and the worst performance. For Bob, it wasn't bad, but compared to someone who can technically sing a standard.... he sucked.

I'm sure that any Dylan performance, especially from the last 25 years, will have many people running from the room, but I thought it was better than "not bad" Bob. He did hit a couple nasally notes which might bring out the familiar jokes and impersonations, but most fans will surely love this performance, and the song choice for Dylan at this stage of the game was inspired and really gives him something to work with (which he takes full advantage of, perhaps even a bit dramatically at times).
I've only seen it twice now because I've been working so much, and I tried to watch it live but I couldn't stay awake so I didn't see Gaga, but there was nothing wrong with the other singers I did see. That said, to say he "sucked" because his pitch isn't as correct as most singers is missing the point as much as it is when sings rock and roll. The stylistic distinction is all in your mind: communication trumps technicality no matter what is being played, and Dylan wrung more meaning out of this than your typical performer gets out of a 3 minute Prime-Time-TV musical number, by a long shot.

Great post to read as the kids are settled in bed. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun December 25th, 2016, 11:04 GMT 

Parts of the performance are quite beautiful and melodically gorgeous. Once or twice (including the end), it felt a little clunky but I find myself humming and singing the central lines spontaneously quite often out of the blue so it caught me by surprise and has definitely registered. As some have said, wouldn't be out of place on Shadows at all - it has that innate and authentic wistfulness that defines that album. Interesting to read the reaction over at the Hoffman Forums - hugely positive to a level which surprised me initially but maybe they're on to something...

PostPosted: Sun December 25th, 2016, 19:19 GMT 

Officially, I now draw the line. A performance which is strained, barely-there. Shadows was great, but everything since has been a series of diminishing returns. Sorry to be negative on Christmas day, just how I feel about this.

PostPosted: Sun December 25th, 2016, 20:05 GMT 

Location: In the valley of the giants where the stars and stripes explode
^
I'm with you

PostPosted: Sun December 25th, 2016, 22:51 GMT 

I'm a little in love with this Bob performance and would wager that given Sinatra has sung it, it's one of the alleged 30 or so Al Schmitt engineered tracks already in the can from the Jan 2016 sessions.

PostPosted: Mon December 26th, 2016, 05:57 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Haven't seen it yet either, so maybe someone will post the Bob piece sometime.
Please post the MusiCares speech as well, thanks!

And don’t forget the full show of that one person audience concert in Philly back in 2014:

http://boblinks.com/112314as.html

PostPosted: Mon December 26th, 2016, 12:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

Correct. And SLC '76.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next