Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun December 17th, 2017, 11:47 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2016, 10:18 GMT 
Promethium Member

"New arrangements of HighWater & Pay in Blood"

Always up for new arrangements!

Thanks SoonAfterNoon!

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2016, 12:49 GMT 

I certainly do not approve of people taking pics, its just getting to be annoying to watch security go over the top to stop it.
The flashlights in my face, the constant roaming around of security, and the compete disruption of them pulling people out of the crowd are way more distracting to me than someone holding up a camera.

Every time they removed someone in both Shreveport and Baton Rouge, nearly everyone around seemed more interested in the encounter with security than the show.
All heads turned to the removal as though they were watching a train wreck.

Hell, I have been more distracted by people constantly talking throughout a show.
Its as though they are at a party and not a show.
This has been particularly distracting at these more intimate venues.

It looks as though it will be what it will be.
I probably should not have bothered to pat about it.
Sorry for the distraction.

Spoiling the enjoyment of those around you at the show is wrong, too. Constant flashing, lit screens all around you, and people talking on their phones, if not to each other, loudly, and unwilling to stop when politely asked - nobody needs that. As you say, "these people paid good money to see a show, and should not be subjected to this bs." Bob's old-fashioned like that, but he has a point. It's a sad state indeed if people can't let go of their little devices for 90 minutes to enjoy what is going on in front of them. I mean really, what do you need your phone for during that time? If that's more important than the show, the simple solution is to stay home.

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2016, 13:46 GMT 

Bob's guitar was right there beside him all night but I'm not sure if he even glanced at it. I know I did.

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2016, 14:03 GMT 

Very curious to hear the newly tweaked Pay in Blood...

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2016, 14:04 GMT 
Promethium Member

High spirits are better than half-hearted picking anyway. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2016, 15:16 GMT 
Promethium Member

Poster - nice to see they're using that photo. :)
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/96sAAOSw4GVYFsAE/s-l1600.jpg

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2016, 15:24 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
Poster - nice to see they're using that photo. :)
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/96sAAOSw4GVYFsAE/s-l1600.jpg

I should've bought a poster but I didn't.

I went for a hat and keychain.

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2016, 15:30 GMT 

This completely sucks - I downloaded a recorder app before the show and unbeknownst to me it added LOTS of clicks to the track it was recording. SO frustrating. It was supposed to be WAV format, but the 2 hour recording clocked in at only 600 MB. But, here is the raw show from last night - too many clicks to be a keeper - but if you're curious about the arrangements you will get the idea:

https://www.mediafire.com/?al9day4s6o79sgi

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2016, 15:54 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
mrhappy wrote:
to kick someone out for a crappy cell pic is wrong in so many ways.
these people paid good money to see a show, and should not be subjected to this bs.
I love Bob, but is he afraid these phone pics will capture his soul and hold it for ransom?
it is not worth the time and effort to deter this.
Bob still gets his money whether someone takes a pic or not.
This is really over the top bs and should not be a part of a night out at a dylan show.
the whole "no pics, cell phones, polaroids" thing is out of hand and should be put to rest.
The incident in Jackson is a perfect example of how ridiculous this is.
Its a frickin rock show, for x sake.
Love you Bob, but get over yourself for once.

Spoiling the enjoyment of those around you at the show is wrong, too. Constant flashing, lit screens all around you, and people talking on their phones, if not to each other, loudly, and unwilling to stop when politely asked - nobody needs that. As you say, "these people paid good money to see a show, and should not be subjected to this bs." Bob's old-fashioned like that, but he has a point. It's a sad state indeed if people can't let go of their little devices for 90 minutes to enjoy what is going on in front of them. I mean really, what do you need your phone for during that time? If that's more important than the show, the simple solution is to stay home.

Sort of agree with both points of view.
Mobiles should only be used , as briefly as possible, for taking pics and doing setlist reports for us ! Would be hypocritical of us to say otherwise because we really like those pics and live reports
Talking on phones during the show should definitely be banned as should checking facebook etc for matters unrelated to bob dylan.
Keeping your phone off but talking during songs should also be banned, especially if i'm sitting in front of you .
Heavy handed security should be scrutinised if it possibly oversteps the line , ie almost becomes assault and borders on criminality.
I would think Bob Dylan is extreme in the photo ban. Major artists allow non professional photos , and if you are into making longer videos - for which it's better to use equipment that doesn't have a large bright distracting screen- it's not all that difficult for many artists, but good videos of dylan are rare , and all the more precious when we see them.
Dylan isn't completely alone in the photo ban . I'm seeing Van Morrison next week and i expect something similar.

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2016, 16:26 GMT 
Promethium Member

cohenadmirer wrote:
Mobiles should only be used , as briefly as possible, for taking pics and doing setlist reports for us ! Would be hypocritical of us to say otherwise because we really like those pics and live reports.

While I certainly do like good photos of Dylan, cell phone pics rarely if ever are worthwhile. There would be zero loss in not taking them.

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2016, 16:47 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
cohenadmirer wrote:
Mobiles should only be used , as briefly as possible, for taking pics and doing setlist reports for us ! Would be hypocritical of us to say otherwise because we really like those pics and live reports.

While I certainly do like good photos of Dylan, cell phone pics rarely if ever are worthwhile. There would be zero loss in not taking them.

Sure , though the resolution can be good if up front . A dedicated camera with a good zoom is better, and people with such cameras are often stealthier using them.
Still don't mind people taking crappy pics for their own 'scrapbook' so long as they only raise their screen for a few seconds , and preferably between songs .
Often quite a few screens come up at the very end of the show, which is perhaps why the final line up is getting briefer or nonexistent.

Of course sometimes we have to admit that people breaking the rules can work for us . Won't quickly forget the live periscope broadcast of the whole desert trip 2 show.I don't know if the guy doing that was distracting adjacent audience members there , but he was certainly distracting me , 6000 or so miles away, from sleep! Always be grateful to him.

Big problem is nothing to do with cameras or phones , just that sometimes audience members can be ' badly behaved and inconsiderate '- like those talking and moving around back and forwards to the bar.

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2016, 17:21 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:
This completely sucks - I downloaded a recorder app before the show and unbeknownst to me it added LOTS of clicks to the track it was recording. SO frustrating. It was supposed to be WAV format, but the 2 hour recording clocked in at only 600 MB. But, here is the raw show from last night - too many clicks to be a keeper - but if you're curious about the arrangements you will get the idea:

Very cool version of Pay In Blood, definately sounds familiar, some parts remind me of another song(s) but I don't know exactly... Maybe 'Ghost Dance' by Patti Smith but this is not the song I'm thinking about...

Stripped down version of HW is also quite good but I'm guessing he won't use this arrangement very long, doesn't sound very comfortable

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2016, 17:27 GMT 
Promethium Member

cohenadmirer wrote:
Sure , though the resolution can be good if up front . A dedicated camera with a good zoom is better, and people with such cameras are often stealthier using them.
Still don't mind people taking crappy pics for their own 'scrapbook' so long as they only raise their screen for a few seconds , and preferably between songs.

But then again, you don't want to take photos up front, because that's where Baron and local security see you best, too. With the stage dark between songs, that's hardly an option either.

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2016, 17:33 GMT 

Clapberry wrote:
kuddukan wrote:

Very cool version of Pay In Blood, definately sounds familiar, some parts remind me of another song(s) but I don't know exactly... Maybe 'Ghost Dance' by Patti Smith but this is not the song I'm thinking about...

Stripped down version of HW is also quite good but I'm guessing he won't use this arrangement very long, doesn't sound very comfortable

Found it! Reminded me of 'Mean And Evil' by B.B. King (cool song btw):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJzaUzhZ6zE

it's far from a 100% copy but singing style and chords are sometimes very close.

Cool new version!

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2016, 17:37 GMT 

I had one instance of a local guy shining a flashlight in my face because of someone checking the time on their phone two seats down.

They were all volunteers working the floor and they were scared to death Bob Dylan would walk off the stage.

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2016, 17:41 GMT 

Preshow

https://i.imgur.com/1fN3Guz.jpg

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2016, 17:43 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:

What a nice theatre .

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2016, 17:44 GMT 

Merch setup and preshow banter

https://i.imgur.com/8TXKxmZ.jpg

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2016, 17:45 GMT 

Preshow queueing:

https://i.imgur.com/wsILdir.jpg

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2016, 18:17 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:

Listening now . After your comment I wasn't expecting much but it's a good recording.The clicks don't get in the way too much.
Great performance.... in fine voice. Must have sounded fabulous in the theatre.
Have a silly theory he sings better without a hat.
Thankyou very much :D

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2016, 19:04 GMT 
Titanium Member

Clapberry wrote:

Found it! Reminded me of 'Mean And Evil' by B.B. King (cool song btw):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJzaUzhZ6zE

it's far from a 100% copy but singing style and chords are sometimes very close.

Cool new version!

word, clapberry, thanks,
interesting to read the section in this book on Arthur Adams' bringing this to B.B.

https://books.google.com/books?id=uuZiC ... ng&f=false

"Arthur Adams was born in a small town in Medon, Tennessee; twelve miles from Jackson, Tennessee. (brilliant coincidence :lol: )

Jackson is eighty-four miles north of Memphis, Tennessee. Arthur attended Tennessee State University for one year, then, joined Jimmy Beck's Band in the early sixties. He traveled throughout the south and moved to Los Angeles, California in the late sixties where he began his recording and writing career.

... Arthur has played and recorded with B.B. King, wrote the song "Mean and Evil" and "Something Up My Sleeve" for B.B. King. He also wrote the song "Love and Peace" for Quincy Jones' grammy award-winning "Walking In Space" album, "Somebody Is Gonna Miss Me" for Sam Cooke on the "Twistin the 'Nite Away" album, "Truck Load of Loving" for Albert King, played guitar on the "Nick of Time" album for Bonnie Raitt, Jimmy Smith's album, "Root Down", Jerry Garcia's "Garcia", the Crusaders' "Street Life", Johnnie Guitar Watson, Dr. John and many more. Arthur appears in the movie "Town & Country", starring Warren Beatty and Goldie Hawn where he played and sang the song "I Can't Stand the Rain".

Arthur's freight train guitar and soul-steeped vocals, combined with his prolific predilection for writing great material (often in conjunction with award-winning composer Will Jennings), are all brilliantly showcased on his Blind Pig debut "Back On Track," (1999) his first album in two decades. The set features two sparkling duets ("Got You Next To Me" and "The Long Haul") pairing Adams with his principal stylistic influence, the great B.B. King, and his regal presence is quite an honor for his long time friend Arthur."

http://www.arthuradamsband.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Adams_(singer)

the down and dirty nob(le) blues

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2016, 19:55 GMT 

God knows there's a dearth of Bob pics out there in the world. Thank goodness we have all these shitty cell pics! :roll:

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2016, 20:00 GMT 

cohenadmirer wrote:
kuddukan wrote:

Listening now . After your comment I wasn't expecting much but it's a good recording.The clicks don't get in the way too much.
Great performance.... in fine voice. Must have sounded fabulous in the theatre.
Have a silly theory he sings better without a hat.
Thankyou very much :D

Listened to the whole thing now .
A really good show- love the new arrangements , and even the ' sinatra songs' ,fewer and sandwiched between more of his own songs , are enjoyable.
Thanks again

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2016, 20:29 GMT 

I agree that I was enthralled with the whole show. The Sinatra stuff played into the overall mood and thematics of the night. It was rather unobtrusive and I didn't feel shorted at all.

Bob was filling the room with his soul and I was fortunate enough to be able to partake in it.

PostPosted: Mon October 31st, 2016, 21:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

gorgeous poetry, kuddukan, thank you

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next