Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon December 18th, 2017, 12:32 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 00:17 GMT 

Just read on a tweet, how Mavis Staples opening for Bob was Loved. Then someone commented Re Johnny Cash & Bob Dylan - "That's Alright Mama" ... Now anything Mr Dylan sings will be so Received. & Just like everything, it would be great to hear them together singing "That's Alright Mama"!

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 00:55 GMT 
Promethium Member

Sorry, this one after Dusquene is an embarrassment

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 01:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

hey that's one of my favorite, stop, it's great

so glad you made the trip up the road, Barefoot

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 01:03 GMT 

Can you live set list this for us to close out the tour with a bang?

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 02:19 GMT 
Promethium Member

F'in guy closes the Leg with Stay With Me.
Turned my back on him. WTF

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 02:37 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:

haha, should’ve shouted judas during a quiet part

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 02:48 GMT 

Gilford, New Hampshire
Bank of New Hampshire Pavilion
July 17, 2016

1. Things Have Changed
2. She Belongs To Me
3. Beyond Here Lies Nothin'
4. The Night We Called It A Day
5. Pay In Blood
6. Melancholy Mood
7. Duquesne Whistle
8. How Deep Is The Ocean?
9. Tangled Up In Blue
(intermission)
10. High Water (For Charley Patton)
11. Why Try To Change Me Now
12. Early Roman Kings
13. I Could Have Told You
14. Spirit On The Water
15. Scarlet Town
16. All Or Nothing At All
17. Long And Wasted Years
18. Autumn Leaves

(encore)
19. Blowin' In The Wind
20. Stay With Me

Thanks to Susan & Al for the phone call.

Set lists, reviews, and information on
upcoming concerts can be found on the Bob Links
Tour Infomation page located at:
http://www.boblinks.com

Bob Links Main Page:
http://www.boblinks.com

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 03:15 GMT 

I love Bob. Hiss idiosyncrasies are part of the charm, but how you have Mavis Staples open for you on a tour, someone you have known for 50+ years, someone you wanted to marry at one point in your life, someone you have worked with on more than one occasion, and do not do one song with her is beyond me.

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 03:26 GMT 
Titanium Member

how deep is the ocean, in that slot like blowin' is, just makes me cry

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 03:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

Domino wrote:
Still Go Barefoot wrote:

haha, should’ve shouted judas during a quiet part

Truth be told, the entire song is sort of quiet, makes it an odd choice to close,
yet it does work as a benediction of sorts.

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 04:54 GMT 

I saw the SET. My seats were excellent, 13th row center. Best view of Bob since 2002.

Still, I was disappointed overall. Bob didn't croon as nice as on earlier this year. A bit barky on his songs.

The sheer number of covers is overwhelming, even when I know it's coming.

The highlight was ERK. Bob was spitting hot fire and the band killed it. Great great version.

I thought of that show in November 2002 when the kid next to me said "why doesn't Bob play his hits?" Chuckle.

The rest of the non-Sinatra, non-Tempest set was solid. The crowd got up a bit for "You think I'm over the hill?"

So I think I'm done seeing Bob unless some Bob originals find their way into the set.

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 06:14 GMT 

ApocalypseKurtz wrote:

So I think I'm done seeing Bob unless...

If I had $100 for every time I've said that... Oh wait. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 06:37 GMT 

keithdylan wrote:
I love Bob. Hiss idiosyncrasies are part of the charm, but how you have Mavis Staples open for you on a tour, someone you have known for 50+ years, someone you wanted to marry at one point in your life, someone you have worked with on more than one occasion, and do not do one song with her is beyond me.

I know exactly what you mean... :?

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 08:19 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:

Agree 100%

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 08:22 GMT 

keithdylan wrote:

I was thinking the same and just realized why. She'd upstage him. Not intentionally but really she is a delightful soul. Not to mention she has now accepted me into part of her family. Hahaha.

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 09:01 GMT 

Well, no duet with Mavis - didn't we just know :lol:

Are you actually genuinely annoyed Barefoot?

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 09:40 GMT 

bobschool wrote:
how deep is the ocean, in that slot like blowin' is, just makes me cry

Me too.

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 11:34 GMT 

I was really hoping yBob would pull out something special, or at a minimum, return lovesick to the set. How silly of me.

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 12:19 GMT 

I'm thinking Mavis might not want to hang around for 2 more hours to come out at the end an try to make some sense of Bob in a duet. This show is very theatrical for Bob. it's all planned out and executed with expertise and real feeling. he does get right into the Sinatra songs. We absolutely loved every minute of this show from 7th row center! people were cool, Guilford really knows how to get into their concerts. there was almost no cell phone bullshit for the guards to obsess over
Duquenne Whistle was brilliant, however more so in Portland. I realized last night it comes off almost like a Chuck Berry sound. ERK was rocking blues, and on and on it went. I did think when he played stay with me with so much power and conviction, that it really is like going to some kind of revival tent these days and getting an ample dose of Bob, in his present form. How nice of him to bring along the Queen. Mavis was phenomenal every time I saw her.

hey "Amos" if you're family now, does that mean you were in the front. She was intentionally mispronouncing your name if it was you.

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 12:47 GMT 

Amos wrote:
keithdylan wrote:

I was thinking the same and just realized why. She'd upstage him. Not intentionally but really she is a delightful soul. Not to mention she has now accepted me into part of her family. Hahaha.

Any reports of Bob looking your way at any of the shows post Foxwoods?

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 14:07 GMT 

I worried when I read the Mavis article in Rolling Stone prior to the tour when she said she hoped to perform with Bob, and cook for him. I thought Uh, Oh, it ain't happening. Kinda like the guy from Los Lobos announcing the new Dylan album and never hearing from Bob again. At least as of now, granted the last two albums probably didn't require his services.

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 15:03 GMT 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vBP9PHxOXDM

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 15:33 GMT 
Promethium Member

Oneofusmustknow wrote:
Are you actually genuinely annoyed Barefoot?

I think so. Maybe I'm just mad at myself because everyone loves this Lawrence Welk shit and I just can't grasp it. I am a spoiled whining baby regarding that.

Yes, he sings quite well and it is amazingly orchestrated...there is no question about the artistic quality of it. It's probably really good for what it is. I just don't like it ...and I really really want to like it. I had my back turned to Bob the entire last song refusing to give positive reinforcement for this kind of closing of a tour leg. Bastard!

But...

Overall, delightful. So, for the many, many Dylan shows I've been to over the years, I never ever even left to take a piss. Always stayed laser focused on the stage. This time, I freely bought beer whenever there was a cover tune, so it actually made it pretty fun....and expensive. They served Guinness at the venue and I just used the "Sinatra" tunes to grab beer. It was a very funny venue after the calm, casual "just-walk up-front-and-sit-anywhere" Portland location.... in this place everyone dressed in yellow wanted something. Getting into the bar closest to the stage was like jumping through hoops with extra scans & wristbands. I finally made it to the inner sanctum at the VIP bar, only to find Anheuser-Busch products and Sam Adams. They told me I had to go up the hill to the Harpoon tent to get any half-decent beer, of which the best I could do was Guinness. Luckily I had a pocket full of free tickets so I could afford some beer, which , at $10 a pop, ended up costing more than most of the tickets.

Oh, and Mavis had some nice words for Nicole near the start of her Set. Mavis rocked it tonight. i particularly liked the Ben Harper tune.

I tried some of the various tickets and I sat in several different spots during the first Set just to see how the sound was from the various seats, another benefit of the slow songs...freedom to roam. The boys were ON again. Set 1 was tight. Also, I must say I truly enjoy this arrangement of Mr. PIB.

I want to thank one of my long-time Dylan-acquaintances, Denise, for offering to let me use her extra fifth-row-center ticket, while we were talking at intermission. I took her up on it & stayed right there during the entire second set. Thanks! Be well, my friend!

High Water was excellent, the best out of the three shows I witnessed. No banjo again, and this time even tighter and more hard-grooving. . Danced. And, Yes, ERK spit fire as someone said above. It raged! Highlight of the highlights! Possibly the best ERK yet. Rocked the house and got us up dancing again. That's why I go see Bob. Price of admission, right there. Long & Wasted was solid and I was praying, at this point, for an exploding Love Sick...to no avail.

The problem with this so-called Set is Bob & the Boys just keep getting better & better so they keep going with it. It works. The bar is set pretty high now so please leave it there, like a trophy to admire, Bob, and please try the next thing. Of course part of the Dylan draw is it doesn't matter what we think!

Thank you Bob! Great shows!

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 16:19 GMT 

Additional thoughts:

Props for turning your back during Stay With Me. The song has its place in his set, and last is probably the right place, but just not with 7 other covers.

Mavis was better than I ever expected. I heard her do The Weight so I went to my seat, and to my surprise she did a few more songs including 'I'll Take You There' and 'For What Its Worth.' Great energy, great band, and I thought she sounded good enough, really quite good for her age. Unlike Bob she loved talking to the audience.

I already noted ERK was the highlight. Surprising again because its not my favorite song on Tempest, but its great live in this "heavy blues" arrangement.

I wish Bob would play guitar just for 1 song.

If I had to pick another highlight ... I don't know, he had a bit of fun with 'Pay in Blood.' The audience got up for Tangled, because they actually knew the song. Its a good arrangement.

Some disappointment from the crowd, lots of cheer though too. The guy next to me was like 20 and he said he liked it even though he didnt know any songs.

An older guy said he wanted a refund.

Another older guy I chatted with on the way out saw Bob in 1984 and said he was great, hes playing songs of his new album, what else should we expect?

'Why Try to Change Me Now' sounded more like a plea to the audience than ever before.

Ce la vie.

PostPosted: Mon July 18th, 2016, 16:34 GMT 

Yes at first it was an error but then it wasn't. She liked it because it rhymed with her moms name. She's a delight. Haha

TheBoxer. People say yes at a few other shows. Not last nights though. Some in Boston and some in Maine.

Got shout outs from Mavis at those shows too. I adore her.