Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun October 22nd, 2017, 13:53 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Cameras at shows?
PostPosted: Fri April 29th, 2016, 00:05 GMT 

I didn't even know you could still buy ' real film' .Would have to be high speed because the stage lighting is almost unbelievably low. :shock:
The advantage with digital cameras is that most can cope well enough in low light :wink:

PostPosted: Fri April 29th, 2016, 04:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

That's true. You can buy a lot of films still, no pun intended. You can't get Kodachrome but there's numerous black and white and color options still around. I love the convenience of digital but there's a lot of fun you can have with a film camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu May 19th, 2016, 11:06 GMT 
Promethium Member

Looking forward to seeing some of the fruits of your labor, Steve.
Remember: stealth and nonchalance.

PostPosted: Sat May 28th, 2016, 15:12 GMT 

I was at a show a couple years ago (Cal. U of PA) and there seemed to be a guy at the corner of the stage who would shine a spotlight on people trying to take photos. Is this normal?? Not a bad idea if you're serious about the policy I guess. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 28th, 2016, 15:21 GMT 

Oh, also, I'm a Pittsburgh wedding photographer who shoots primarily film (most of what's on my website is film), so yes, it's absolutely still available and is actually enjoying a bit of a revival among a certain niche of pros. You can easily buy 35mm and 120 format film in dozens of varieties online at places like B&H and Freestyle Photo and there are a number of modern labs that specialize in quality film developing and scanning. FINDlab is a great option with pro quality processing and scanning starting around $10 per roll. Mail them film, download the scans 3-4 days after they get it. They'll even tweak the color and contrast to your preferences and remember them for the next roll. : )

That said, yeah, generally digital is going to give less grainy results in a concert environment but with a high speed lens and something like Ilford Delta 3200 (BW) or Cinestill 800T (a high speed color film balanced for artificial lighting) you could get amazing shots and won't have the blown out spotlights like you get with digital. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 28th, 2016, 19:20 GMT 

NateW wrote:
I was at a show a couple years ago (Cal. U of PA) and there seemed to be a guy at the corner of the stage who would shine a spotlight on people trying to take photos. Is this normal?? Not a bad idea if you're serious about the policy I guess. :)

Yes the bright torches picking out anyone who might be trying to take a picture is normal at Dylan shows, wheareas multiple phone screens taking pictures without constraint is normal at many other gigs.

It's not a venue policy - just strict instructions from Dylan who REALLY doesn't like to be photographed.Low light and physical obstructions on stage also make taking photos trickier
A bit easier to police in small indoor venues than outdoor shows.

PostPosted: Sat May 28th, 2016, 19:53 GMT 

cohenadmirer wrote:
Yes the bright torches picking out anyone who might be trying to take a picture is normal at Dylan shows, wheareas multiple phone screens taking pictures without constraint is normal at many other gigs.

It's not a venue policy - just strict instructions from Dylan who REALLY doesn't like to be photographed.Low light and physical obstructions on stage also make taking photos trickier
A bit easier to police in small indoor venues than outdoor shows.

I know Dylan is no fan of photos, but I'm not sure it's just that he hates to be photographed. It seems to me more that he believes very strongly that words and events can appear to be something very different when taken out of context—and if there's one thing that Dylan (justifiably) fears more than anything it's seeing his words or persona extracted from their context and used to further ends that he never intended.

I think too that he genuinely wants people to have a real, present-moment experience of the show, something that can't be done through a screen or a viewfinder. As someone who makes photos for a living and who almost always has a camera on him, I can attest to the fact that it's incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to create images of an event and to fully experience it as a participant at the same time. In a very real sense, photos that are intended to "capture memories" actually end up replacing them.

PostPosted: Sat May 28th, 2016, 20:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'll look into those two films you mentioned. Fuji has a 1600 film that is hard to find at regular price, it's 12 bucks a roll on Amazon right now, not sure if it's still being made or left over. It's a very low grain color film. The 3200 may be better suited, but it's an out door show in July. It won't be that dark but without a flash, I'm going to need some fast film. I picked up a Minox 35 that I'll probably sneak in in a box of cigarettes. I may put the lens right up to my binoculars to get a closer view but we shall see.

PostPosted: Sat May 28th, 2016, 20:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

It's actually too much effort for what it is, but I'd like to try once. I've seen Bob over 10 times, and I'm in my mid 20s. You can expect a decent sound recording from me and some experimental photos to go along with it. God hoping he changes the set list up this summer

PostPosted: Sun May 29th, 2016, 07:41 GMT 

Security reaction to cameras is a mixed bag at Bob shows. More often than not I've seen people with cameras given a scolding or the super bright flashlight, but I also saw a dude in the front row at Aspen with the biggest x lens ever do his thing without any of the meatheads say a word, although they seemed to be venue security and not any of Bob's regular guys.

PostPosted: Mon June 20th, 2016, 15:43 GMT 

Anyone have such luck at the shows so far? Curious if those in the front tend to get anything as I normally see security down there.

PostPosted: Mon June 20th, 2016, 16:26 GMT 
Titanium Member

And here I thought the consensus was that we've all seen enough of The Set. :)

PostPosted: Mon June 20th, 2016, 16:49 GMT 

The security/camera situation was pretty strict at last week's first San Diego show. I was in the 8th row on the aisle, and lost count of how many times the big security meathead posted in front of the stage (I think he was venue security) jumped up and came charging down the aisle. I thought he was coming for me because we stood up and danced to a few numbers -- or coming for the guy next to us who was constantly arguing with the people behind him. BUT NO, every time it was security busting people with cameras and phones.

PostPosted: Mon June 20th, 2016, 20:33 GMT 

Come on Bob - lighten up . Let people take their souvenir snaps!
Most if not all of your contempories do !

PostPosted: Tue June 21st, 2016, 12:58 GMT 
Titanium Member

NateW wrote:
Oh, also, I'm a Pittsburgh wedding photographer who shoots primarily film (most of what's on my website is film), so yes, it's absolutely still available and is actually enjoying a bit of a revival among a certain niche of pros. You can easily buy 35mm and 120 format film in dozens of varieties online at places like B&H and Freestyle Photo and there are a number of modern labs that specialize in quality film developing and scanning. FINDlab is a great option with pro quality processing and scanning starting around $10 per roll. Mail them film, download the scans 3-4 days after they get it. They'll even tweak the color and contrast to your preferences and remember them for the next roll. : )

That said, yeah, generally digital is going to give less grainy results in a concert environment but with a high speed lens and something like Ilford Delta 3200 (BW) or Cinestill 800T (a high speed color film balanced for artificial lighting) you could get amazing shots and won't have the blown out spotlights like you get with digital. :)

very cool NateW, was wondering whether film would make its rightful comeback. the depth and saturation of old Kodachrome is breathtaking, people don't know what they're missing. is this why you use film, for its depth?

PostPosted: Tue June 21st, 2016, 13:04 GMT 
Titanium Member

NateW wrote:
As someone who makes photos for a living and who almost always has a camera on him, I can attest to the fact that it's incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to create images of an event and to fully experience it as a participant at the same time. In a very real sense, photos that are intended to "capture memories" actually end up replacing them.

agreed NateW, but the abusive meathead security is UNACCEPTABLE to paying customers. totally unprofessional. period.

PostPosted: Tue June 21st, 2016, 13:16 GMT 
Titanium Member

plus, we get great reviews of Bob's show with his new stuff

https://www.instagram.com/p/BG3I29NBJAe/
13 likes
1d
tillmanduncan#bobdylan

lookjustlikebuddyholly: What! how incredible was he?

tillmanduncan: Was pretty incredible, played mostly newer songs but with a live band they were really good.

PostPosted: Tue June 21st, 2016, 14:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

Related to this, I saw an article yesterday about acts such as The Lumineers, Louis CK, Chris Rock (During his pre-taping of the Academy Awards), and Alicia Keys, among others, using this simple device at their concerts. Instead of taking phones away from the concert goers, they are using this and treating them as adults, as they damn right should. I don't know if it works all the time, they're's always going to be some guy like my dad taking a million pictures, but hey, they're comfortable with it. I'm sure Bob is happy with the results at his shows though, so he may never go to this. Not sure if this adds money to the ticket prices, but it can't be any more than hiring more security and ushers to yell at patrons, plus they're reusable. I know people like Trump will say pouches like these will take jobs away from hard working Americans, maybe Bob feels the same way too, but that's a discussion for another thread :D .

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertai ... story.html

PostPosted: Tue June 21st, 2016, 21:27 GMT 

Certainly not a big fan of smart phones at gigs- screens very bright when taking pictures or bits of video , and seems a shame when I see people looking at facebook or whatever during the performance.
However , I don't at the end object if people hold them up briefly to take souvenir pictures , and dont like the act of some artists to inhibit this. It is of course their right to do this

I like doing videos at concerts - won't go into the reasons for this-lets just call it a hobby- and if you are going to do this its good to have something better than a phone - usually less intrusive for other concert goers too!
i dont think this detracts from the concert experience for me - it is a part of the experience, and it's good to have to subsequently re-experience the show - albeit in a different way- and to share with others either anonymously on you tube -channel cohenadmirer1- or in person with friends.
Sometimes looking at bits of a show on a zoomed in screen has the benefit of reducing the impact of nearby badly behaved audience members if you re at one of those shows where fellow concert goers are doing all kinds of stuff except watch the show.

At Dylan shows , i often don't bother , though i always have a good recording device in my shirt pocket.I don't have to attend to that - just let it run , no anxiety about security spotting it and can still re-experience the show whenever i want afterwards.

PostPosted: Wed June 22nd, 2016, 00:44 GMT 

bobschool wrote:
NateW wrote:
As someone who makes photos for a living and who almost always has a camera on him, I can attest to the fact that it's incredibly difficult, if not impossible, to create images of an event and to fully experience it as a participant at the same time. In a very real sense, photos that are intended to "capture memories" actually end up replacing them.

agreed NateW, but the abusive meathead security is UNACCEPTABLE to paying customers. totally unprofessional. period.

One can also take a photo, not a bunch. I try to take a photo at the end of a show or set, maybe in the beginning perhaps. I know what you mean on removing yourself from the event though if one focuses greatly on photos exclusively.

PostPosted: Sat June 25th, 2016, 00:48 GMT 

FWIW - People with cameras, and the over zealous security ruined my last Dylan Concert Experience.
I'll be nice and not use any choice language.

But PLEASE don't bring cameras to the show. Some people actually spend good money to go and watch/hear the concert and do not need anyone else having arguments with the security in front of their chairs for the whole show. (and I assure you, you or them, will always be standing in front of somebody).

And people talking through the whole show can ...

I promised to be nice. So I'll leave it at that.

PostPosted: Sat June 25th, 2016, 02:26 GMT 
Titanium Member

I agree. I know security is just doing their job but they tend to make a big event out of telling you to stop. I never plan on taking videos or a series of photos, but I always manage to steal one photo or two just to show my friends on social media that I'm doing something with my summer nights. Typically it'll just be the marquee or tour buses, sometimes a picture of the stage before or after. I almost always do an audio recording. I've got quite a set up, only once was I caught by some drunk guy in front of me. I don't know what his point was, I think he wanted me to email him the show. I hustled out of there as it was the end of the encores.

PostPosted: Thu June 30th, 2016, 01:18 GMT 

Bob would be the first to sign up for one of these.

PS I find this as typical Apple wanting to control their users in every possible way.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... le-3666422

PostPosted: Thu June 30th, 2016, 02:40 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:
Bob would be the first to sign up for one of these.

PS I find this as typical Apple wanting to control their users in every possible way.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... le-3666422

Kinda scary mr. K.....this is the second time this week I was reading through a thread and was going to say....dot dot dot......only to find you just said it.....( the other was.....do you really think Bob recorded 30 new original songs ).

Anyway...I saw this same article, and remember first hearing about this like 3 years ago, but nothing again until now.

I have low grade phone with horrible picture taking abilities, so don't shoot at shows.
mrs. drawers has a nice phone that takes great pictures, but she is TOTALLY against it.....because The Bob objects.

Funny story....we are at a show in Bridgeport, Connecticut....Americana Tour.....on the floor....G.A...right...about even with Bobs piano....about 10 bodies from the stage.....and the show is starting....and I'm waiting.....waiting.....know its gonna happen...Bob hits center stage...center spotlight up.......along with a sea of phone cameras, and I yell as loud as I can.....PUT DOWN THE EFFING PHONES !

Most of them came down......momentarily.
mrs. drawers left my side shortly after that......

PostPosted: Thu June 30th, 2016, 02:47 GMT 

LOL did you get a wink from His Bobness for your trouble??