Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri December 15th, 2017, 00:50 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue November 24th, 2015, 19:00 GMT 

I mean anything - Bob's performance, the band, people you met, prevailing winds, security, etc?

PostPosted: Tue November 24th, 2015, 19:20 GMT 

Always a thrill and a buzz when Dylan walks on stage at the start of every concert , and always a rousing welcome by the audience. Whatever else happens that in itself is always a great experience for me.
Autumn 2015 will also be memorable for the unexpected pleasure to be had by the performances. When i saw the setlist report on the first night, and then began to realise the set probably wouldn't change, i started to predict i wouldn't like the concerts ... but i was totally wrong.

PostPosted: Tue November 24th, 2015, 22:58 GMT 
Promethium Member

1) Going from dreading The Set to feeling it deeply (and running off to see lots of extra shows).

2) Forming a friendship I never thought possible.

3) Bob's rhinestone suits.

4) Hatless Bob.

5) Bob's unaccompanied voice filling venues for a brief moment on Autumn Leaves.

6) The Düsseldorf show.

7) The moment at RAH 2 when everything clicked.

8) Time spent in Amsterdam with delia.

9) Bodensee at night.

10) All Or Nothing At All

11) Regensburg stage rush.

12) Hugging people.

13) Mr Pipe & the night nurse.

14) Bennyboy.

15) Record shopping.

16) ER people I met.

17) Convincing a friend that Bob might actually be saying something via The Set. Exploring the depth of it with two bottles of wine.

18) Breaking my personal record of number of shows seen on a single tour.

19) Bob. Always.

Lots more, I'm sure, that doesn't come to mind right now.

PostPosted: Tue November 24th, 2015, 23:43 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
1) Going from dreading The Set to feeling it deeply (and running off to see lots of extra shows).

May I ask you what changed?

PostPosted: Tue November 24th, 2015, 23:54 GMT 
Promethium Member

Dylaned wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:

May I ask you what changed?

My mind. :lol:

Not sure exactly, it just clicked somehow & then it all made sense.

PostPosted: Wed November 25th, 2015, 00:01 GMT 

^I suspect Bennyboy somewhere in the thought process. :D

PostPosted: Wed November 25th, 2015, 00:58 GMT 

It's got something to do with the fact that these old standards are all great songs , packing an emotional punch in a short space of time,great musical arrangements, but really it's Dylan delivery - he feels every word it seems. They all sad love songs , songs of loss...you'd be forgiven for thinking Bob's love live isn't in great shape so he can really feel the lyrics, and can make us feel them too.

In terms of further memories- will never forget the first live shadows song i heard - What'll i do .... what a revelation! And how at the end of autumn Leaves , a very short song, i was always on the verge of tears... not- i must clarify -in a bad way.

PostPosted: Wed November 25th, 2015, 01:18 GMT 
Promethium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:

18) Breaking my personal record of number of shows seen on a single tour.

So glad to hear it! I suppose this thread is for the people that were there...but sitting stateside by the fire (ok, computer screen) it's been a pleasure to hear how, even in the modern day of fixed setlists the show continues to evolve. It really would have been unthinkable in 2012 to imagine such interesting concerts of this quality. Interesting in the grand scheme of things, that is.

PostPosted: Wed November 25th, 2015, 03:21 GMT 

So many memories... this was such an awesome tour!

Bob -> what can I really say that hasn't been said before? He's just amazing.

His Band -> brilliant! They did a truly great job night after night. The level of professionalism was so high that they kept going even when there were technical problems as if nothing had happened. They can all be proud of themselves.

All 5 of them are so good that it's almost unfair to pick the stars of the band, but I'll be cruel and do it anyways. :lol: For me, there were 2 stars in the band that totally justified the price of admission on their own: George and Charlie. George is a lot of fun to watch and does the most amazing job with those brushes; Charlie is, you know, Charlie. I could go back every night just to watch them play.

Even though most people in the audience already know who they are, I wish Bob had introduced them during the shows. Either the beginning or the end of BITW would be a good opportunity for that.

The funniest moments -> Bob's reaction to the slip in DW in Braunschweig was funny. Stu's guitar technician pulling the cable on his guitar desperately trying to find the other end during LS in Manchester 1 was funnier. But the funniest moment was by far Tony messing with Charlie during HW in Bologna 1.

The most awkward moments -> this being me, there had to be lots of awkward moments. I'd say that the 3 most awkward ones were probably (by reverse order of how uncomfortable I felt):

3) Berlin 2 after AL with security blocking the aisles to prevent people from reaching the stage;
2) I believe it was in Bregenz (but it might as well have been in Bologna) that at some point I was leaning forward with my elbows on my knees (as far as I remember, for no good reason). I was following one of George's brushes just above the mid section of his drum kit for a while when all of a sudden he got down to look at me with a very serious look in his face as if I had just committed some sort of crime :oops:
1) Milan 2 from the moment Bob announced the intermission until they left the stage at the end of the show. I tried my best to pretend I didn't see/understand what George was trying to say (after all, he could very well have been pointing at the stuffed animal sitting to my left or just talking to someone else on that side of the theater) and that I was totally busy with my phone during the intermission, but I felt terrible nonetheless. :oops: During the rest of the show I had to try really hard not to be caught staring again and, at the end, I was just relieved I didn't have to explain anything (which would have been even more awkward and embarrassing)

The venues -> for me, this show is much more suited for small venues than for the bigger ones. Even when there were issues with the sound/lights/seats, I had a better experience at the smaller theaters. On the basis of the forced proximity to the audience alone, I'd pick Bologna as one of my favorites. :wink:

The show -> almost perfect. Sure I don't really like some of the songs/versions in the set (more on that below) and I hate when the stage lights burn my eyes, but the whole thing is just one big awesome show. I could have seen it a million times more and would still love it.

Personally - and notwithstanding the previous complaints - I think this continues to be the best use of light for a concert. As with the sound, the experience varies from seat to seat - there's a bit too much light in some sections of the first row and not enough toward the back. Still, I love what they did for the most part.

As for the outfits, I think there's some room for improvement. I don't really understand Bob's outfits (I'm sure there's some logic behind them, but I just don't get it), so I'll refrain from repeating comments already posted in some live set threads. The band, on the other hand, had both good and very poor choices. The black suit is probably the one that fits them the best (generally speaking) and the light grey one looks good too. The dark grey suit isn't all that bad, but I got the feeling most of them can't pull that color off. The blue one looks fine in most pictures, but only because the sparkling is not visible - live it's a bit more of a questionable choice (although it's the one that makes Charlie blue glasses look like a really cool thing). The red one... still not acceptable.

While I do think that wearing a suit wasn't totally inappropriate for this leg of the tour (unlike in the summer), I'd still like to see them at least get rid of the jackets. I think Tony is the only one I don't recall seeing getting all caught up with his jacket and having to get it out of the way to be able to continue playing. They might look nice in the pictures we're not allowed to take, but they're not really necessary (or could be compulsory for the encore only, so that they all look fancy for the final line up).

The Set
THC -> to me, this one feels like a warm-up for Bob and the band. They come out, see how many people made it on time, check who they've seen before and who seems to be new, fix their outfits and play something while doing all that. It also doesn't help that the current version is not my favorite one;
SBTM -> I don't actually like this song. There's something in it that really gets under my skin and I don't know what it is. Still, I somehow enjoyed the live version without being the least bit bothered by it;
BHLN/DW/ERK/SOTW -> the band seems to enjoy playing these songs, probably because they get to see what Bob's going at the piano and then try to adjust when needed. From what I could see, even small variations were always well received by the boys and they seemed to love when he changed the vocals on ERK. On that alone, I think they should stay in the set.
W'lID/IAFTWY/TNWCIAD/WA U -> these are the Sinatra songs that are just OK. I don't love them but don't dislike them either. However, I loved the way they were performed. It was clear that they were very important for Bob and the band worked really hard to make them sound perfect. The highlights for me were always Bob's vocals and George's work with the brushes and the parts where he played with just his right hand underneath one of the cymbals;
MM -> I don't think I have anything against the lyrics in this song, but I just never felt any melancholy at all in the version played. For whatever reason, I disliked this song from the very beginning. As soon as they started playing the first notes in Braunschweig, I got the feeling I wouldn't like it - and I never did;
PIB/TUIB/HW/ST -> strong performances all around;
WTTCMN -> this is one of the Sinatra songs I really like (the other one - TLOS - wasn't played during this tour, which made me sad but at least allowed me to keep myself from crying in front of all those people and then feel embarrassed about it);
AONAA -> this is by far the worst. I don't like it at all and it just sounds silly to me;
LAWY -> I love this one and they never let me down;
AL -> my problem with this song is not the lyrics or the version they play but the image in my mind - whenever I start listening to it, I feel like getting a blanket, snuggle in my couch and then just snooze. I was really afraid one day I might fall asleep in one of the theaters because of this song and it almost happened in Milan 1. None of this is their fault, but I do wish that song would be removed from the set;
BITW -> I don't like the current version (even though it's not the worst I've heard). That's all;
LS -> with the exception of the very last show in Milan, this was always my favorite performance of the night. It's not my favorite song in the set, but it was my favorite version. Such a shame we had to sit thru it in most venues.

A huge "THANK YOU!" to Bob, the band and all those of you that helped make this a great tour. 8) And, of course, my apologies to Mr. Receli for the inappropriate behavior. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed November 25th, 2015, 06:21 GMT 

Sandy wrote:
The venues -> for me, this show is much more suited for small venues than for the bigger ones. Even when there were issues with the sound/lights/seats, I had a better experience at the smaller theaters. On the basis of the forced proximity to the audience alone, I'd pick Bologna as one of my favorites. :wink:

That's a great summing up of the whole tour, a really interesting viewpoint and I especially agree about the venues, I only saw three shows this tour - Berlin (first night) seated side on to the stage, Royal Albert Hall (second night) in a Loggia Box and Southampton (standing a few rows back from the stage). That show just had so much atmosphere for me due to my proximity with the rest of the audience and was the one I left with the biggest 'Wow' factor.
However, I don't think that should come as a big surprise - favorite Bobshows for me have always been from the smaller venues (Bournemouth 2002 / Brixton 2005). I don't really think it had anything to do with this particular show though! What was an even bigger boost was that I was told that the sound quality at the Southampton venue was 's**t'; that certainly wasn't the case for Bob's show.

PostPosted: Wed November 25th, 2015, 08:06 GMT 
Promethium Member

Not Looking Back wrote:
^I suspect Bennyboy somewhere in the thought process. :D

Actually, no. The conversion was already underway when we met. It happened somewhere up in the balconies of RAH.

PostPosted: Wed November 25th, 2015, 12:38 GMT 

Only saw 2 shows this tour.

I enjoyed them both a lot. It was great to meet friends & strangers in Oslo and Malmö.

Here's for hoping to go to Japan! :mrgreen:

Take me back, I LOVE YOU!

PostPosted: Wed November 25th, 2015, 12:47 GMT 
Promethium Member

Viktor123 wrote:
Take me back, I LOVE YOU!

:cry:

PostPosted: Wed November 25th, 2015, 13:06 GMT 
Promethium Member

Sandy wrote:
2) I believe it was in Bregenz (but it might as well have been in Bologna) that at some point I was leaning forward with my elbows on my knees (as far as I remember, for no good reason). I was following one of George's brushes just above the mid section of his drum kit for a while when all of a sudden he got down to look at me with a very serious look in his face as if I had just committed some sort of crime :oops:
1) Milan 2 from the moment Bob announced the intermission until they left the stage at the end of the show. I tried my best to pretend I didn't see/understand what George was trying to say (after all, he could very well have been pointing at the stuffed animal sitting to my left or just talking to someone else on that side of the theater) and that I was totally busy with my phone during the intermission, but I felt terrible nonetheless. :oops: During the rest of the show I had to try really hard not to be caught staring again and, at the end, I was just relieved I didn't have to explain anything (which would have been even more awkward and embarrassing)

What was it with you and George? You think he was having thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed November 25th, 2015, 13:14 GMT 

Location: In the valley of the giants where the stars and stripes explode
The outstanding performance of Bob and the band on the 7 covers and Love Sick.
The lovely stage and light.
That's about it!
And, I really enjoyed Donnie's playing on the pedal steel!
Actually it was the first time that I heard what he's playing.

PostPosted: Wed November 25th, 2015, 13:49 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
What was it with you and George? You think he was having thoughts?

George noticed I had been looking in his direction a lot and decided to make it clear that he could see me too (that is basically why it took him longer than usual to get off the stage for the intermission). Because he looked quite serious at the time, I figured he might actually have seen me laughing at them back in Regensburg and not be too happy about it (that night I saw the look of disapproval in his face but thought he might just be looking at Stu or generally staring into the crowd, because I didn't think the lights would allow him to see that far into the audience). I then felt even worse at the end when I realized he could even see the print in my T-shirt from all the way across the stage.

My best guess is that he thought I was being rude/disrespectful, which really wasn't my intention. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed November 25th, 2015, 13:55 GMT 
Promethium Member

So he wasn't looking to get your room number when he came out during the intermission? :P

I was wondering what he was doing, looking out that door and looking out from behind the curtain. Though I guess they're used to people looking at them.

PostPosted: Wed November 25th, 2015, 13:57 GMT 

yess, Victor, see you soon in Japan :D

PostPosted: Wed November 25th, 2015, 14:02 GMT 

I don't think so, but I can tell you that I've never grabbed my phone as quickly as in that moment I saw him looking out from behind that curtain. :lol: I had already put my phone away but then felt an urgent need to check my Twitter feed.

PostPosted: Wed November 25th, 2015, 18:01 GMT 
Promethium Member

There was a small change in Long and Wasted Years, but I'm not sure where it first happened. He went from,

Maybe today, if not today, maybe tomorrow,
maybe there'll be a limit to all my sorrow

to

a limit to all our sorrow

Did anyone else notice it? Thoughts on including "them" ("us"?) in that line?

PostPosted: Wed November 25th, 2015, 18:47 GMT 

What about ticket prices - that was one thing I really did notice - the hike in ticket prices at some shows.

PostPosted: Wed November 25th, 2015, 19:10 GMT 
Promethium Member

dvdunplugged wrote:
What about ticket prices - that was one thing I really did notice - the hike in ticket prices at some shows.

They didn't sell too well.

PostPosted: Wed November 25th, 2015, 19:31 GMT 

Looking at the difference in the price of the tickets for each concert, it looks like the goal was to make roughly the same amount of money at each venue. So the prices were lower when there were lots of seats to sell and higher when there were fewer. A good example would be Germany: tickets were relatively cheap in Hamburg and Düsseldorf, only slightly more expensive in Berlin, but very expensive for the Leipzig show.

They probably realized they couldn't sell enough 175€ tickets to fill half the venue in places like Hamburg or Düsseldorf (where the venues were larger) but believed there would be enough people willing to pay that price in Leipzig. If someone asked them, they'd probably justify it with the fact that you get much closer to the artist in a small venue and that you have a more luxurious experience in those fancy theaters.

Obviously, that didn't go well everywhere. In Bregenz, for instance, they couldn't sell all the tickets, even though the venue was really small.

While I understand the decision from a business point of view, I'd hope they'd be a bit more reasonable when setting the prices to give us the opportunity to see more shows. I know other artists demand even more money for shows that aren't anywhere near as good as Bob's, but still...

PostPosted: Wed November 25th, 2015, 22:40 GMT 
Promethium Member

Bob old classic cheese, Amsterdam

A busker in Hamburg

A sign in Düsseldorf (for doomsie)

Cucumber ale in Regensburg (for Mr Pipe)

Sign in Regensburg

Graffiti in Regensburg

Autumn leaves, Regensburg

A Basel riverside bench

Autumn leaves, Milano

PostPosted: Wed November 25th, 2015, 23:02 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
A busker in Hamburg

:lol: :lol: :lol: