Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon December 18th, 2017, 18:37 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 17:08 GMT 

Cipher_Pipe wrote:
These threads invite a more general question: was there ever a time when every Dylan fan was happy?

Now is the time, because mawkishness is the new happiness.

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 17:18 GMT 

h.egbert wrote:
Cipher_Pipe wrote:
These threads invite a more general question: was there ever a time when every Dylan fan was happy?

You think the SITN songs are mawkish? Man, they're fucking brutal....

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 17:37 GMT 

Hungryhoss wrote:
h.egbert wrote:

You think the SITN songs are mawkish? Man, they're fucking brutal....

But not up to "Bobs high standard" of wheezing and barking out unintelligible syllables that may or may not be words

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 17:49 GMT 

Desolation Row wrote:
Half of the people that spend their time moaning about the setlists arent even going to a show, they are fans who spend every night religiously following the set but they aren't even attending the show.

i agree

These set lists must be boring for people who spend show time sat behind their computer rather than getting out and seeing the show, what a disappointment to see those same song names coming up over and over. Perhaps there should be a thread for people who never have been to a show and never listen to bob at all and the members can send each other setlists and they will all be happy :(

most performers play almost the same set list every night for years.
most band members play the same songs night after night for their whole careers.
yes the reason we go to multiple (too many?) shows is because they are different every night and I miss that as much as anybody. It does not mean that these are bad shows as one offs.
All these so called 'bad years' that get quoted, I am sure that if you sit at home and download 100 shows every year and listen to them in the comfort of your living room with headphones on the same songs cropping up over and over then there are faults to be found. The judgement of 'the shows' is being at the show, otherwise listen to the records.

Every show I have been at has not been wonderful
i do not really like SITN as an album
I saw him sing SITN songs in the summer and they were well performed but I could give him a list of songs I would much rather hear.
I would rather the whole set list consisted of GAIBTY and WGW songs than these sinatra style covers.
That is my taste, none of that means he should not do what he wants when he has a concert going and I can choose to attend or not.

I will be at the albert hall for 5 nights and then I can judge. My tactic is not to listen to any of the shows on this tour before then so anything new will be fresh for me in the moment as it should be.
My last show on the tour is in southampton........ perhaps that will be the last time I will ever have the chance to see bob dylan play live... think of that!!!!

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 19:45 GMT 

stevieblooz wrote:
Desolation Row wrote:
Half of the people that spend their time moaning about the setlists arent even going to a show, they are fans who spend every night religiously following the set but they aren't even attending the show.

i agree

These set lists must be boring for people who spend show time sat behind their computer rather than getting out and seeing the show, what a disappointment to see those same song names coming up over and over. Perhaps there should be a thread for people who never have been to a show and never listen to bob at all and the members can send each other setlists and they will all be happy :(

most performers play almost the same set list every night for years.
most band members play the same songs night after night for their whole careers.
yes the reason we go to multiple (too many?) shows is because they are different every night and I miss that as much as anybody. It does not mean that these are bad shows as one offs.
All these so called 'bad years' that get quoted, I am sure that if you sit at home and download 100 shows every year and listen to them in the comfort of your living room with headphones on the same songs cropping up over and over then there are faults to be found. The judgement of 'the shows' is being at the show, otherwise listen to the records.

Every show I have been at has not been wonderful
i do not really like SITN as an album
I saw him sing SITN songs in the summer and they were well performed but I could give him a list of songs I would much rather hear.
I would rather the whole set list consisted of GAIBTY and WGW songs than these sinatra style covers.
That is my taste, none of that means he should not do what he wants when he has a concert going and I can choose to attend or not.

I will be at the albert hall for 5 nights and then I can judge. My tactic is not to listen to any of the shows on this tour before then so anything new will be fresh for me in the moment as it should be.
My last show on the tour is in southampton........ perhaps that will be the last time I will ever have the chance to see bob dylan play live... think of that!!!!

I'm jealous you'll be at the Hall. If plane tickets weren't expensive I would have traveled across the pond to go.
I like the set, but I do have a part of me that wishes he would play all the songs I missed out on prior to this set, being a newer Dylan fan. Honestly if anyone complains about longing for his older sets and actually saw those live, I do not feel bad for you at all.

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 20:50 GMT 

Location: In the valley of the giants where the stars and stripes explode
This whining about his current performance style is so tiresome. It's f...ing great since fall 2013, and you know that!
More respect please! We are talking about Mr. Bob Dylan, doing sensational good new stuff at the age of 74.
He could have stopped a long time. I am glad that he did not.
Let's be honest, do you really want back Bob Dylan 2011? Croaking and barking and totally ruining his classics?
Not to mention the boring dire strait support. Boy, that was bad!

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 23:09 GMT 

This SET is not to my liking and so I've quit going. First year in sixteen I haven't seen Dylan. He's made it easy though, ignoring the whole western USA this year.

Meanwhile, looking to get my music jones on, I hitched my hook to Neil Young's ride this fall. Best decision I ever made. EXCELLENT shows. The man still has juice to spare. Maybe he could loan Bob some.

PostPosted: Sat October 17th, 2015, 08:36 GMT 

meuse2208 wrote:
This whining about his current performance style is so tiresome. It's f...ing great since fall 2013, and you know that!
More respect please! We are talking about Mr. Bob Dylan, doing sensational good new stuff at the age of 74.
He could have stopped a long time. I am glad that he did not.
Let's be honest, do you really want back Bob Dylan 2011? Croaking and barking and totally ruining his classics?
Not to mention the boring dire strait support. Boy, that was bad!

That tour with the dire straits kid was probably his worst in the last ten years.

PostPosted: Sat October 17th, 2015, 11:01 GMT 

Location: By the waterfront docks, where the sailors all come in
The opening sequence on THC SBTM and BHLN has now reached something like 110 shows. WTF?

PostPosted: Sat October 17th, 2015, 12:19 GMT 

steadyrollinman wrote:
That tour with the dire straits kid was probably his worst in the last ten years.

that tour improved the further it went on...I thought the east coast shows were pretty good. But wow, the shows I listened to on the early part of that tour were indeed rough.

The shows I heard off the Willie/Mellencamp tour were brutal.

PostPosted: Sat October 17th, 2015, 21:22 GMT 

steadyrollinman wrote:

Sorry but that's nonsense. I saw him in Glasgow in 2011 with Mark Knopfler as the opening act. A huge improvement on 2009.

PostPosted: Sun October 18th, 2015, 02:19 GMT 

This is an old thread with new dates inserted, so I'll just put up this old reply with new songs inserted.

Bob is doing the same thing an actor does when he goes onstage to play Hamlet for the 200th time in a row, yet still emerges at the end feeling happy and excited about his performance. Songs like What'll I Do and All Or Nothing At All, while perhaps not matching the level of Shakespeare, are acknowledged classics (I believe the term is "standards"), and Bob is enjoying placing them beside his own contributions to the canon (especially now that dreck like Waitin' For You has fallen to the wayside - we can only hope Spirit on the Water is next to fall).

He is a performer finding the artistic merit in the same script night after night, wringing the meaning and pathos from the lines, many of which he did not write himself, but all of which he can relate to and try to communicate to a willing audience. If you're not willing, don't be part of the audience.

PostPosted: Sun October 18th, 2015, 02:55 GMT 
Promethium Member

Having finally listened to a fall '15 show, I think the SET works very well with the SITN songs. Not only are they performed well in their own right but they bring just enough freshness to old SET standbys and at the same time gain a kind of open-ended metaphoric resonance when juxtaposed with Dylan's own expansive lyrics.

PostPosted: Sun October 18th, 2015, 09:26 GMT 

Melancholy Mood...how can people not like it? He sings it with such aplomb!

PostPosted: Mon October 19th, 2015, 04:08 GMT 
Titanium Member

smoke wrote:
Having finally listened to a fall '15 show, I think the SET works very well with the SITN songs. Not only are they performed well in their own right but they bring just enough freshness to old SET standbys and at the same time gain a kind of open-ended metaphoric resonance when juxtaposed with Dylan's own expansive lyrics.

great point smoke, the lineage refers to itself, like seeing in the museum the Antiquities classical sculptures wing on trial next to the Modernist Galleries with their Great War abstractions.

PostPosted: Mon October 19th, 2015, 12:05 GMT 

bobfan wrote:
I haven't seen Bob since 2009; a horrible Liverpool Echo appearance was the tipping point in deciding there were more worthwhile ways to spend one's time and money. I decided at the last minute to get a ticket for one of the Royal Albert Hall gigs and I'm looking forward to it. I'm one of those people who has witnessed very few of the songs that are being currently performed. Am I huge fan of Sinatra, or even what Dylan is doing live now? Not particularly, but I know what to expect and I've adjusted my expectations accordingly. Similarly would I consider going to more than one gig in a particular run anymore? No. I've seen enough Dylan gigs to last me. The guy's 74. His most creative years are a long way behind him. The deals still the same as it's always been; take it or leave it. 'If you don't like me...'.

2009 was such a dreadful nadir. I still have nightmares thinking about the Roundhouse gig. The post-2013 era is simply streets ahead in terms of vocals and musicianship... and just pure artistry really. You'll come away feeling redeemed.

PostPosted: Tue October 20th, 2015, 01:05 GMT 
Promethium Member

Arkady wrote:
You'll come away feeling redeemed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OFGgbT_VasI

PostPosted: Tue October 20th, 2015, 06:15 GMT 

Arkady wrote:
bobfan wrote:
I haven't seen Bob since 2009; a horrible Liverpool Echo appearance was the tipping point in deciding there were more worthwhile ways to spend one's time and money. I decided at the last minute to get a ticket for one of the Royal Albert Hall gigs and I'm looking forward to it. I'm one of those people who has witnessed very few of the songs that are being currently performed. Am I huge fan of Sinatra, or even what Dylan is doing live now? Not particularly, but I know what to expect and I've adjusted my expectations accordingly. Similarly would I consider going to more than one gig in a particular run anymore? No. I've seen enough Dylan gigs to last me. The guy's 74. His most creative years are a long way behind him. The deals still the same as it's always been; take it or leave it. 'If you don't like me...'.

2009 was such a dreadful nadir. I still have nightmares thinking about the Roundhouse gig. The post-2013 era is simply streets ahead in terms of vocals and musicianship... and just pure artistry really. You'll come away feeling redeemed.

Roundhouse 2009 The horror, the horror!!

PostPosted: Tue October 20th, 2015, 07:52 GMT 

Hi,

I don´t write often because I don´t feel confortable with my english, anyway there are two 2009, the pre-Charlie's mess (especially the Euro tour) and a joyfull serie of killer shows from the USA fall tour, with Charlie's axe & Bob with a new fire on him.

Cheers,

Ramón

PostPosted: Tue October 20th, 2015, 09:39 GMT 

Location: In the valley of the giants where the stars and stripes explode
Hungryhoss wrote:

Roundhouse 2009 The horror, the horror!!

Munich 2009 was quite good actually,
but the nightmare came in 2011!

PostPosted: Tue October 20th, 2015, 10:59 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'm listening to a 2011 crystal cat now and it's rocking!

PostPosted: Tue October 20th, 2015, 11:42 GMT 

Roundhouse in 2009 was a let down but the blow was somewhat softened for me by the novelty value of being right at the front for the first time. O2 Arena the night before was better. It was the only time in 30 shows I've seen him play The Times They Are A-Changin' and it's the third from last time that song has been played (excluding the performance at the White House). The first night in Dublin (5th May) was really good. As always the recording doesn't quite do it justice but it was a classic case of 'boring' setlist/great show.

There were some great moments at the 2011 shows that I saw (The stripped down Honest With Me at the first Glasgow show, Mississippi and the duet with Knopfler on Forever Young at Hammersmith), but other parts just left me disturbed (Shooting Star at Cardiff :shock:)

PostPosted: Tue October 20th, 2015, 12:17 GMT 

midnightcowboy wrote:
Roundhouse in 2009 was a let down but the blow was somewhat softened for me by the novelty value of being right at the front for the first time. O2 Arena the night before was better. It was the only time in 30 shows I've seen him play The Times They Are A-Changin' and it's the third from last time that song has been played (excluding the performance at the White House). The first night in Dublin (5th May) was really good. As always the recording doesn't quite do it justice but it was a classic case of 'boring' setlist/great show.

There were some great moments at the 2011 shows that I saw (The stripped down Honest With Me at the first Glasgow show, Mississippi and the duet with Knopfler on Forever Young at Hammersmith), but other parts just left me disturbed (Shooting Star at Cardiff :shock:)

Roundhouse was so awful I turned my back on seeing him live for 4 years.

By late 2013 though, I started to get the same feeling that I got from him between 1999 and 2002 - that the old coot was cooking on gas, consistently focused in brewing up his art and shoving it into our hungry music holes, while holding his fingers in the corner of our mouths and pulling them towards said lugs.

PostPosted: Tue October 20th, 2015, 12:18 GMT 

The thing I remember most about the 2011 shows was that sinister/ridiculous grin he habitually did after every single phrase. Also, that was the time when he was shouting the last word of every line, a variant on the up-singing concept that made every song sound the same. No phrasing, no expressiveness, just every song filtered through the same formulaic approach.

That said, the shows in 2011 were still more fun than the Roundhouse 2009, when Bob was clearly fed up with the band, his voice was completely lacking in dynamics, the sound mix was awful, and Denny Freeman was barely allowed to play more than 3 different notes per song. Combined with the pushing/shoving from the usual lunatics in the crowd who think that Bob needs to see them in the front row, it made for the most poor experience I've had at a concert to date.

PostPosted: Tue October 20th, 2015, 12:24 GMT 

Yep.

Here's a question though, for those who've witness The ShET in person these last couple of weeks:

Is Bob treading water on the 'old' songs a bit, and saving his efforts for the Sinatra?

It kind of feels that way to me, listening to the recordings thus far.