Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed October 18th, 2017, 01:53 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 797 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Fri July 10th, 2015, 12:00 GMT 
Promethium Member

Welcome to 2016 Rumors & Tour News

heartsoffire29 wrote:
Anyone know of Dylan will tour in the states in 2016?

Certainly worthy of getting the Rumor Mill cranked up, Hearts.

Quote:
Rumor (especially British) rumour
[roo-mer]

noun
a story or statement in general circulation without confirmation or certainty as to facts:
a rumor of tour.
gossip; hearsay:
Don't listen to tour rumors.
Archaic. a continuous, confused noise; clamor; din.
verb (used with object)
to circulate, report, or assert by a rumor:
It is rumored that the tour is expanding.

Here's to another great year! Here we go!

PostPosted: Fri July 10th, 2015, 18:08 GMT 

Latin America 2016: http://www.diariodepernambuco.com.br/ap ... tina.shtml

Bob Dylan will not come to Brazil. The tour scheduled for August was postponed and has not yet expected to be realized. The information was confirmed by producer Michel Felipe responsible for Pernambuco arm Shadows in the night. According to him, the artist decided not to come over Latin America. The script would include a stop at the Chevrolet Hall in Olinda.

"We closed all with international producers and those of other cities. All agreed, dates, money. But, when carrying out the first payment, I was surprised with the news that he would not come over to the country." According to the producer, there is no specific reason for the postponement. Perhaps the known bad temper Dylan was the cause.

Despite the cancellation, the negotiation for the tour in Brazil are maintained, with new dates being probed for 2016. "We did our part, now it is up to him," said Michel.

PostPosted: Fri July 10th, 2015, 22:36 GMT 
Promethium Member

steadyrollinman wrote:
Latin America 2016: http://www.diariodepernambuco.com.br/ap ... tina.shtml

Bob Dylan will not come to Brazil. The tour scheduled for August was postponed and has not yet expected to be realized....
...Perhaps the known bad temper Dylan was the cause.

Quite unlikely Bob's temper was the reason.
Hilarious!

PostPosted: Sat July 11th, 2015, 10:59 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Hilarious!

Obviously a SA tour visits more countries than just Brazil. If they got a far as collecting advance payments, it is likely that the promoters of the other countries in question backed out of the deal and thus the whole tour was not financially viable anymore. Whether they will have better luck next year with the Olympics and all remains to be seen.

The Rolling Stones probably cancelled their SA plans for this year due to similar reasons.

PostPosted: Sat July 11th, 2015, 14:24 GMT 

Come to Asia!

PostPosted: Sat July 18th, 2015, 21:38 GMT 
Promethium Member

Handsomeinthefog wrote:
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Hilarious!

Obviously a SA tour visits more countries than just Brazil. If they got a far as collecting advance payments, it is likely that the promoters of the other countries in question backed out of the deal and thus the whole tour was not financially viable anymore. Whether they will have better luck next year with the Olympics and all remains to be seen.

The Rolling Stones probably cancelled their SA plans for this year due to similar reasons.

Well, let's hope for Latin America 2016...

PostPosted: Fri July 24th, 2015, 18:29 GMT 

well, I guess he won't tour Europe that much in 2016 (since there not too many places where he hasn't been this year or the year(s) before)

PostPosted: Fri July 24th, 2015, 20:47 GMT 
Promethium Member

The Americas it is, then.

PostPosted: Fri July 24th, 2015, 21:08 GMT 

slewan wrote:
well, I guess he won't tour Europe that much in 2016 (since there not too many places where he hasn't been this year or the year(s) before)

In these days I often remember Dylans „milchmädchenrechnungen“ from the eighties. The strategy changed a bit, but it seems he hasn't forgotten his old dream of building an audience congenial to his music. A crowd thats always fresh and sensitive. How to do this? Visit the same towns and play the same songs again and again so that the bored old fans move for new people or the „right audience“, who is happy to listen to the same songs as Dylan is happy to play them.
Some sentences from Chronicles let me hope for Europe next year

Quote:
In many ways, this audience was past its prime and its reflexes were shot. They came to stare and not to participate. That was okay, but the kind of crowd that would have to find me would be the kind of crowd who didn´t know what yesterday was. (...)

I also told him that I needed him to book a similar amount of shows in the same towns in the following year and also the year after that – a three year-schedule of more or less the same towns. I figured it would take me at least three years to get to the beginning, to find the right audience, or for the right audience to find me. (...)

A lot of older people wouldn´t be coming back, but younger fans would bring their friends the second year so attendance would just about equal. And in the third year, those people would also bring their friends...

PostPosted: Fri July 24th, 2015, 21:26 GMT 
Promethium Member

slewan wrote:

What... no 75 date Easter tour? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat July 25th, 2015, 06:40 GMT 

slewan wrote:

But even after the massive 2011 tour he did come back to Europe in 2012.

Using a mix of the 2008 and 2010 EU tours, he could easily pull off 20 dates without visiting the same countries and considering that he's concentrating on the big cities in a lot of countries this year, there are more options as well.

I guess it really depends on the reason why he played so many shows this year in Europe.

- last hurrah, because he wants to cut down his international travels in the future?
- better money?
- more youthful audiences, as described above in the "Chronicle" quote?
- right now, he likes to travel in Europe more?

There are probably more. Unless it's the first, everything else would point to more EU shows next year.

PostPosted: Sat July 25th, 2015, 11:24 GMT 
Promethium Member

Handsomeinthefog wrote:
I guess it really depends on the reason why he played so many shows this year in Europe.

- last hurrah, because he wants to cut down his international travels in the future?
- better money?
- more youthful audiences, as described above in the "Chronicle" quote?
- right now, he likes to travel in Europe more?

There are probably more. Unless it's the first, everything else would point to more EU shows next year.

Don't forget:
- The Culchah

PostPosted: Sat July 25th, 2015, 13:00 GMT 

if someone else supposed about Dylan, what in fact he himself thought and wrote in Chronicles, it would seem absurd for me. But it´s Dylan so why the ,SET year for year in the same towns´ can´t be another crazy idea and not only motivated because of his age and the quality of the shows? In the past he often changed the setlist extremely. Maybe because of the same reasons he explained. Now he tries the other extreme – ,playing many same songs year for year in the same towns´ – for the same effect: Part of the former audience stays home, but in the long run the stimulant for the others gets stronger than weaker. Just waiting if he changes THE SET a bit keeps awake. Any new song now is like a sensation. By the way he pushes through another, a living Bob Dylan away from the old folk hero because many songs from The SET are newer ones.
The strategy is win win: If later he begins to deconstruct the SET (once I was so sure for autumn…), he can sell tickets in many of THE SET-towns again –to people, who want to watch the new old Bob Dylan.

PostPosted: Sat July 25th, 2015, 13:18 GMT 

Kle wrote:
Maybe because of the same reasons he explained. Now he tries the other extreme – ,playing many same songs year for year in the same towns

He is not playing the same cities every year. Quite the opposite actually, he tends to visit places every other year, MAYBE for the reason he mentioned, but possibly also because there are just a limited amount of cities where you can play high-paid gigs even every other year.

PostPosted: Sat July 25th, 2015, 13:30 GMT 
Promethium Member

Kle wrote:
...it´s Dylan so why the ,SET year for year in the same towns´ can´t be another crazy idea and not only motivated because of his age and the quality of the shows?

Bob knows we love him,
Bob knows it's true,
Bob knows that there ain't anybody that can change what he wants to do

Bob don't need no reason,
Bob don't call it wrong
The SET was supposed to last a season
But it’s been so strong for so long...

PostPosted: Sat July 25th, 2015, 20:22 GMT 

My guess (because I am seriously bored right now)

Early-mid March: South America tour (current variation of The SET)

Early April-Early May: Northeast/mid-Atlantic/midwest tour (smallish arenas in secondary markets/university campuses - new set!)

July-August: US co-headlining/package tour, minor league baseball stadiums

October/November: Alaska, Yukon, Northern Canadian Territories, Greenland (I reserve the right to adjust this scenario hahaha)

PostPosted: Sat July 25th, 2015, 21:11 GMT 
Titanium Member

:lol:

Looks pretty good.

Can we mix & match? :)

https://youtu.be/N43WWmVZGb4

PostPosted: Sat July 25th, 2015, 21:31 GMT 
Promethium Member

Early summer in Europe because football / soccer, as always.

PostPosted: Sat July 25th, 2015, 21:53 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
Early summer in Europe because football / soccer, as always.

fine with me, as long as it will include "Live at the Marquee 2016 -
Thursday, June 9th, 2016 to Tuesday, July 12th, 2016 (Dates provisional)"

PostPosted: Sat July 25th, 2015, 23:08 GMT 

NiteFog wrote:
My guess (because I am seriously bored right now)

Early-mid March: South America tour (current variation of The SET)

Early April-Early May: Northeast/mid-Atlantic/midwest tour (smallish arenas in secondary markets/university campuses - new set!)

Don't think it'll work out that way setlist-wise.

He will return to (some of) the same cities and venues he has already played The Set in this Fall in Europe. So either we will see a new program this Fall already, or, if he he really repeats the same stuff in Europe again, he might as well do it in the US in 2016, too.

PostPosted: Sun July 26th, 2015, 01:55 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Kle wrote:
...it´s Dylan so why the ,SET year for year in the same towns´ can´t be another crazy idea and not only motivated because of his age and the quality of the shows?

Bob knows we love him,
Bob knows it's true,

Bob don't call it wrong

PostPosted: Sun July 26th, 2015, 01:57 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Kle wrote:

Bob knows we love him,
Bob knows it's true,

Bob don't call it wrong

Nice one, Like it!

PostPosted: Sun July 26th, 2015, 09:44 GMT 

why not the same again in Randy Newman-style? Setbook instead Songbook (piano already on stage – only has to donate a long holiday for band members).

PostPosted: Sun July 26th, 2015, 15:17 GMT 

The important detail everyone is leaving out is that, right now, during the two-month hiatus, Bob is recording an album of brand new songs. He will shock the world by releasing the album without prior notice, Wilco-style, on the eve of his 2016 tour, then playing the new songs live during a two week residency at the Moore Theatre in Seattle from January 10th through the 26th.

Everything after that is just gravy.

PostPosted: Sun July 26th, 2015, 23:52 GMT 
Promethium Member

movin_after_midnight wrote:

Everything after that is just gravy.

Hmmm, and here I was thinking we've been riding the Gravy Train for quite some time now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 797 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next