Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu October 19th, 2017, 00:10 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Sat February 7th, 2015, 14:16 GMT 
Mercury Member

PostPosted: Sat February 7th, 2015, 14:29 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:

Oh Bob.... you been to the solarium or just eating lots of carrots?

at least he dyed his hair

PostPosted: Sat February 7th, 2015, 14:40 GMT 

I think if you're going to look as sour as he did and give a speech like that, calling people out left right and centre just because they didn't necessarily like his music way back when, all the while doing this with a fake tan and black hair dye, why bother going??

PostPosted: Sat February 7th, 2015, 14:50 GMT 
Mercury Member

He lives in LA and has been off for a few months. Gets a tan. Criminal, Bob. Just criminal.

PostPosted: Sat February 7th, 2015, 14:53 GMT 
Promethium Member

Nah... it's make up. He didn't look like that in the AARP (Minnesota farm?) photos.

PostPosted: Sat February 7th, 2015, 15:10 GMT 

Him looking fed up at these events is no change. He probably doesn't really, I mean really understand people's adoration for his music. He probably thinks we should all be listening to old Memphis Minnie and Charlie Patton records. Anyway, I hope he thinks these things are waste of time, because largely they are. The concert will be a bit of fun to watch in the future, but it won't be until some time, hopefully in the quite distant future, that Dylan's career can really be assessed. He's not done yet.

Obviously he's not great at taking criticism on the chin, looking at the remarks. Taking pot shots at those who haven't lavished praised on your songs, is not the most professional of moves, but there we go.

Last edited by Oneofusmustknow on Sat February 7th, 2015, 15:19 GMT, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat February 7th, 2015, 15:12 GMT 

Quote:
Dylan was gracious enough not to identify by name the singer who was the recipient of his sharpest barbs. But Marsha Ambrosius, who has had several R&B hits, most notably 2010's Far Away, sang the national anthem at a 2012 Floyd Mayweather-Manny Cotto fight that Dylan seemed to be referencing.

"Critics say I mangle my melodies, render my songs unrecognizable," he said. "Let me tell you something: I was at a boxing match a few years ago, seeing Floyd Mayweather fight a Puerto Rican guy. And the Puerto Rican national anthem, somebody sang it. And it was beautiful, it was heartfelt, it was moving. After that, it was time for our national anthem, and a very popular soul-singing sister was chosen to sing it. She sang every note. That exists. And some that don't exist. Talk about mangling a melody. Take a one-syllable word and make it last for 15 minutes. She was doing vocal gymnastics like she was a trapeze act. To me, it was not funny. Mangling lyrics, mangling a melody, mangling a treasured song. No, I get the blame."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/musi ... /23030167/

PostPosted: Sat February 7th, 2015, 15:16 GMT 
Promethium Member

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat February 7th, 2015, 15:17 GMT 
Promethium Member

Just getting in...on planes all day yesterday...how was it?
No mention of Tedeschi-Trucks either.

From front page: (apologies if repetitive, haven't read the thread yet...)

Dylan's words in song & speech made for historic night at Grammy benefit
Posted by: Jon Bream Updated: February 7, 2015 - 5:21 AM

LOS ANGELES — Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young, Bonnie Raitt, Norah Jones, Jack White and a parade of superstars sang Bob Dylan’s famous words. But it was the words that Dylan uttered himself in an extraordinary, unprecedented, nearly 40-minute straightforward speech about his career, process and critics that made the Grammys’ MusiCares gala Friday night such an historic event.

After former president Jimmy Carter introduced Dylan by talking about how they met during the singer’s Christian period and had discussions about religion and world peace, Dylan shook hands, accepted a trophy and posed for a quick photo. Then he leaned into the podium, a handful of papers in his left hand and read a speech that was at turns insightful, scorching and humorous. It was probably the longest public speech about himself that the fiercely private music icon has given in his career.

Wearing a dark suit, bolo tie and dark brown curls, Dylan spoke clearly to a sold-out audience of 3,000 who helped raise $7 million for MusiCares, Grammy’s charity wing that helps musicians in need. (Newly handwritten lyrics to his “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” sold for $100,000 in a live auction.) Dylan explained that he appreciated how MusiCares had helped one of his heroes-turned-friend, Billy Lee Riley who had the 1957 hit “Red Hot,” with health needs, mortgage payments and living expenses for the last several years of his life.

Not only did Dylan lobby for Riley’s induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, he responded to his detractors, including songwriters and critics. In a speaking voice devoid of Dylanesque rasp and arch, he complained why critics complain about the range of his voice but not about Lou Reed’s or Leonard Cohen’s. He dissed songwriters Tom T. Hall and the team of Leiber and Stoller because they had spoken unfavorably of him.

But Dylan didn’t really come just to unright wrongs, he wanted to thank MusiCares for helping Riley and to thank the 18 singers who interpreted his songs. He also thanked pivotal people in his career including talent scout John Hammond, Joan Baez, Nina Simone and the trio of Peter, Paul & Mary. He also wanted to explain himself in ways that has never been as crystal clear in interviews or even his 2004 memoir, “Chronicles: Vol. 1.”

Trying to shed light on his songwriting process, he cited several favorite songs that were drilled into his mind such as “Key to the Highway” and “John Henry” and how they inspired lines of his own songs such as “Highway 61 Revisited” and “Blowin’ in the Wind,” respectively.
About Peter, Paul & Mary’s version of “Blowin’ in the Wind,” he said: “It’s not the way I would have done it. They straightened it out.” He said the pop success the Byrds and the Turtles had with his songs were “like commercials. I didn’t mind that. Fifty years later my songs are being used in commercials.”

The night was also about his music. Dylan chose the various performers and what songs they would sing, MusiCares senior vice president Kristen Madsen explained in an interview before the event. But unlike all but one of the previous 24 MusiCares honorees, he didn’t perform. (Either did Pavarotti, who cited illness.) Also he didn’t really attend the show but rather watched on monitors in a TV truck outside the Convention Center.

Beck kicked off the 2½-hour program with an aggressive tribal blues treatment of “Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat.” Los Lobos gave “On a Night Like This” a Mexican flavor with some verses in Spanish set to a uptempo party vibe. After a false start because he couldn’t read the TelePrompter at the back of the arena-long ballroom, Willie Nelson eventually delivered a simmering “Senor.”

Jackson Browne offered the obscure gem “Blind Willie McTell” on a revolving stage in the middle of the room. Jack White spiked “One More Cup of Coffee” with some lacerating guitar. Tom Jones gave a reverent reading of “What Good Am I.” Springsteen contrasted quiet singing on “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” with roaring guitars, from both him and Tom Morello.

Norah Jones went totally Texas on the jazzy, sexy “I’ll be Your Baby Tonight” with some musical flirting courtesy of harmonica ace Mickey Raphael from Nelson’s band. Raitt put the heartache in “Standing in the Doorway.” Crosby, Stills & Nash harmonized on “Girl from the North Country.”

There were a few efforts that fell short. Aaron Neville didn’t sound emotionally invested in “Shooting Star,” Alanis Morissette couldn’t keep up with the tongue-twisting pace of “Subterranean Homesick Blues” and John Doe got out-sung by the female backup singers on “Pressing On.” There were taped tributes from Jeff Bridges, Josh Brolin and Garth Brooks.

The musical high point in a night of many highlights was probably John Mellencamp’s interpretation of “Highway 61 Revisited”; with a vocal tone and timbre that channeled Tom Waits’, he made this usually scorching rocker into a blues dirge. Never has Mellencamp sounded so artful.

And never has Dylan been so talkative about himself in public.

http://www.startribune.com/entertainmen ... 44141.html

PostPosted: Sat February 7th, 2015, 15:22 GMT 

Beets14beets wrote:
Quote:
Dylan was gracious enough not to identify by name the singer who was the recipient of his sharpest barbs. But Marsha Ambrosius, who has had several R&B hits, most notably 2010's Far Away, sang the national anthem at a 2012 Floyd Mayweather-Manny Cotto fight that Dylan seemed to be referencing.

"Critics say I mangle my melodies, render my songs unrecognizable," he said. "Let me tell you something: I was at a boxing match a few years ago, seeing Floyd Mayweather fight a Puerto Rican guy. And the Puerto Rican national anthem, somebody sang it. And it was beautiful, it was heartfelt, it was moving. After that, it was time for our national anthem, and a very popular soul-singing sister was chosen to sing it. She sang every note. That exists. And some that don't exist. Talk about mangling a melody. Take a one-syllable word and make it last for 15 minutes. She was doing vocal gymnastics like she was a trapeze act. To me, it was not funny. Mangling lyrics, mangling a melody, mangling a treasured song. No, I get the blame."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/musi ... /23030167/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrGvy_EKA14

PostPosted: Sat February 7th, 2015, 15:27 GMT 

Totally agree with Bob on the anthem. These pointless vocal gymnastics seem to pervade a lot of modern music these days, all because of Mariah Carey and the vocal talent shows. It's self-indulgent singing that as Bob says totally mangles the words. and meaning.

PostPosted: Sat February 7th, 2015, 15:32 GMT 

Christ, he's even got his sideburns dyed.

PostPosted: Sat February 7th, 2015, 15:37 GMT 
Titanium Member

maninthelongblackcoat wrote:

Thanks for posting...very interesting.
Bob sure covered alot of ground in his speech !

.... Dylan then quoted the great, late singer Sam Cooke's observation that "voices (in music) 'should tell the truth.' Think about that." 8)

Fellow singer-songwriter Kris Kristofferson earned some Dylan's most effusive praise of the night. After reciting some of the lyrics to the Kristofferson classic, "Sunday Morning Coming Down," he observed: "You can look at Nashville, pre-Kris and post-Kris, because he changed everything."

I know it's childish of me, but it always makes me happy whenever Bob praises
a favorite song of mine. (Sunday Morning Coming Down).
:wink:

Here you go, Bob. >
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdMmcciQs8I

Last edited by Queen Anne Lace on Sat February 7th, 2015, 15:44 GMT, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat February 7th, 2015, 15:41 GMT 
Promethium Member

Foggy wrote:
Giada wrote:
apparently Bob's speech was 40 minutes long. Bruce's last year was around 20.

Longer than SITN :lol:

Best post of the year so far! Hilarious...

PostPosted: Sat February 7th, 2015, 15:45 GMT 
Promethium Member

Giada wrote:
:D

Randall Roberts ‏@LilEdit
I recorded Dylan's #MusiCares speech & will have transcript sometime tomorrow a.m. Super insightful, humble and funny speech.

Good.

PostPosted: Sat February 7th, 2015, 15:55 GMT 
Promethium Member

Very cool that he chose to speak rather than perform.

PostPosted: Sat February 7th, 2015, 15:58 GMT 

https://screen.yahoo.com/cbs-lm-cbs-la/ ... 00894.html

Here's a little bit of footage.

PostPosted: Sat February 7th, 2015, 16:29 GMT 

Location: By the waterfront docks, where the sailors all come in
An album of standards that is nearly universally loved
A who-knows-how-many- page, non-contentious interview with AARP
A 40 minute speech

What in tarnation is goin' on here? Aliens would seem to be the simplest answer.

PostPosted: Sat February 7th, 2015, 16:31 GMT 
Promethium Member

Transfiguration.

PostPosted: Sat February 7th, 2015, 16:58 GMT 
Titanium Member

capecod wrote:
An album of standards that is nearly universally loved
A who-knows-how-many- page, non-contentious interview with AARP
A 40 minute speech

What in tarnation is goin' on here? Aliens would seem to be the simplest answer.

Hey, now!

http://grooveshark.com/#!/search?q=i've ... ered+remix

PostPosted: Sat February 7th, 2015, 17:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

another short clip http://youtu.be/o0R04D8T-tM 8)

Thank you Jim Dylan for sharing on FB

PostPosted: Sat February 7th, 2015, 17:39 GMT 

Damn it, the speech is given in his "Bob Dylan" speaking voice. I was so frank and open and...I dunno, it just corresponded with reality so unexpectedly much that I was hoping he'd given it in his natural voice.

PostPosted: Sat February 7th, 2015, 17:57 GMT 

jcastro wrote:
another short clip http://youtu.be/o0R04D8T-tM 8)

Thank you Jim Dylan for sharing on FB

we all know that a lot of people don't know what to do with their hands while delivering a speech – but what the hell is he doing with his feet??? (0:27 onwards)

PostPosted: Sat February 7th, 2015, 18:09 GMT 
Promethium Member

slewan wrote:
we all know that a lot of people don't know what to do with their hands while delivering a speech – but what the hell is he doing with his feet??? (0:27 onwards)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=79670&start=825#p1550831

PostPosted: Sat February 7th, 2015, 18:16 GMT 

yopietro wrote:
1. Beck- Things Have Changed
2. Black Keys- She Belongs to Me
3. Jackson Brown- Beyond Here Lies Nothing
4. John Doe- Workingman's Blues
5. Crosby, Stills & Nash- Waiting for You
6. Norah Jones- Duquesne Whistle
7. Tom Jones- Pay in Blood
8. Los Lobos- Tangled Up in Blue
9. Taj Mahal- Love Sick
10. John Mellencamp- High Water (for Charlie Patton)
11. Alanis Morissette- Simple Twist of Fate
12. Willie Nelson- Early Roman Kings
13. Aaron Neville- Forgetful Heart
14. Bonnie Raitt- Spirit on the Water
15. Bruce Springsteen- Scarlet Town
16. Susan Tedeschi- Soon After Midnight
17. Derek Trucks- Long and Wasted Years
18. Eddie Vedder- Blowin' in the Wind
19. Jack White- Things Have Changed
20. Neil Young- She Belongs to Me
21. Bob Dylan- Stay with Me

tthis :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next