Downtown!

Previous 2017 shows:
28 Europe
25 North America
----
53 Total 2017

---
Bob Dylan to play CN Centre July 22

Prince George is getting something Stockholm couldn't manage: Bob Dylan.

Yes, it's true, there's a vagabond who's rapping at your door, standing in the clothes that you once wore. He changed the times, he blew answers into the wind and he is coming to CN Centre on July 22.

The most recent accolade Dylan has earned is as unusual as his innovative career. Although he did not attend the ceremony in Sweden, he was bestowed with the Nobel Prize for Literature this past year, in a strange but inspired realization that his words have been a clear mirror reflecting distorted times, even if they were themselves ambiguous.

He has entertained generations although he has never been merely an entertainer. His songs were catchy, but also caught the spirit of the age. All Along The Watchtower, Knocking On Heaven's Door, A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall, Subterranean Homesick Blues, Like A Rolling Stone - these weren't hits, they were events in history. If there really was a Great American Songbook, he would have the entire first chapter.

There are other great writers, of course, even contemporaries of Dylan's. But Ian Tyson said "We all kind of followed (Bob Dylan)," and he in fact wrote some of his own best stuff trying to keep up with his Greenwich Village neighbour.

Some call Bruce Springsteen the greatest of the rock 'n' roll folkies, but when Dylan was inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame, it was Springsteen who held the door open with the induction speech in 1988, then did it again 10 years later when Dylan was the focus of the Kennedy Centre Honors Night.

When The Citizen was talking with legendary Canadian rocker Tom Cochrane a few weeks ago, and the conversation came to the mere two songs Cochrane had ever covered on record (Leonard Cohen's Bird On A Wire and Annette Ducharme's Sinking Like A Sunset), and who would he ever cover if forced to pick a third, Cochrane said "Dylan."

Cochrane calls himself a lyrical reporter, a rock 'n' roll journalist, and if anyone could teach that skill it would be the great folk poet Dylan. While many of the 1960s super-songs were protest anthems that called out authority and railed against war, Dylan was a genius at telling stories and usually imbedded the protest in the subliminal narrative of his songs. He was a social commentator. He lived out the "show, don't tell" principal of artistic expression. He was the high water mark in what Cochrane, and so many multitudes more, took up as the songwriter's mission.

That's how Dylan became the recipient of the Nobel and also the Pulitzer prizes, by applying literature to the craft of songwriting. And there seems to be no end to it. Some artists are happy with a hit or two, but Dylan seemed to yawn quality songs a dozen times a day. His compositions fill entire book volumes and university courses are taught on trying to interpret them.

His solo career spanned decades, and included a period where his backing group The Band was as much a collaboration as it was a soloist with ensemble. Together Dylan and The Band broke the rules of folk music by infamously plugging in their instruments and turned the genre over to rock 'n' roll.

Then he did the collaboration configuration again with the Traveling Wilburys supergroup. And in the most recent of times he wrote the basis for the recent country hit Wagon Wheel, then Adele hit the top of the pops with his tune Make You Feel My Love, then he reimagined a collection of Frank Sinatra songs his own way on the well-selling companion albums Shadows In The Night and Fallen Angels. The third in this series, Triplicate, was released just in January.

He's both a tweeter and a monkeyman. He's a tambourine man even when his hands are full with guitar. He's down on Highway 61 no matter what the map says. He's gonna make you lonesome when he goes. And he's coming to Prince George.

http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/news ... 1.12295846

PostPosted: Wed July 19th, 2017, 21:06 GMT 

Despite being a huge Bob fan since I was in college, this will be my first show! Usually I have to drive 8 hours to Vancouver for concert. This is about 5 minutes from my house! I'm assuming I'm the only person from ER going, but let me know if I'm wrong.
The region's facing A LOT of forest fires at the moment and a few communities south of Prince George have been evacuated. Currently there's about 8000 evacuees in the city, a lot of them staying within walking distance of the arena, so this couldn't come at a better time.

PostPosted: Wed July 19th, 2017, 22:50 GMT 

Pour one out for Prince George, British Columbia

PostPosted: Thu July 20th, 2017, 01:57 GMT 
Promethium Member

TheCowboyPoet wrote:
Despite being a huge Bob fan since I was in college, this will be my first show! Usually I have to drive 8 hours to Vancouver for concert. This is about 5 minutes from my house! I'm assuming I'm the only person from ER going, but let me know if I'm wrong.
The region's facing A LOT of forest fires at the moment and a few communities south of Prince George have been evacuated. Currently there's about 8000 evacuees in the city, a lot of them staying within walking distance of the arena, so this couldn't come at a better time.

Cowboy, this is going to one great first show for you!
And you can walk!
What bar will you utilize for this event?
"Set 'em Joe, play 'Walkin' the Floor'."

We look forward to your observations! Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun July 23rd, 2017, 05:19 GMT 

Prince George, British Columbia
CN Centre
July 22, 2017

1. Things Have Changed
2. Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right
3. Highway 61 Revisited
4. Why Try To Change Me Now
5. Summer Days)
6. Make You Feel My Love
7. Duquesne Whistle
8. Melancholy Mood
9. Stormy Weather
10 Pay In Blood
11. Once Upon A Time
12. Tangled Up In Blue
13. Early Roman Kings
14. Desolation Row
15. Soon After Midnight
16. That Old Black Magic
17. Long And Wasted Years
18. Autumn Leaves

(encore)
19. Blowin' In The Wind
20. Ballad Of A Thin Man

Thanks to Tim & Thomas for the email.

Set lists, reviews, and information on
upcoming concerts can be found on the Bob Links
Tour Infomation page located at:
http://www.boblinks.com

Bob Links Main Page:
http://www.boblinks.com

PostPosted: Sun July 23rd, 2017, 06:39 GMT 

That was really good! Bob seemed to be in a good mood, he was smiling to Donnie a bunch, went over to Stu and told him something that must have been funny because Stu laughed, and basically just strutted/danced (I use that word loosely) around the stage. I was pretty curious what the crowd would think, PG is a fairly blue collar city, usually acts that come to town are more straight forward classic rock groups, but most people around me (5th row) seemed pretty into it. Though some people seemed a little let down/disappointed that he didn't talk to the crowd.
I didn't really know what to expect, I'd heard a lot of mixed things about Bob's concerts these days but his band was top notch, even the songs I wasn't as into (the Sinatra/standards) were great thanks to Donnie's pedal steel and the rest of the group. Bob's piano playing was great and his vocals were better than I thought they'd be. I doubt he'll ever play around these parts again but hopefully I can see him at least one more time in some place like Vancouver at some point.

PostPosted: Sun July 23rd, 2017, 08:34 GMT 

Thanks Bill und Cowboy

Great you enjoyed the show, Cowboy :D
What concerns the band I felt the same when I heard them play first time again after 15 years in 2011

PostPosted: Sun July 23rd, 2017, 18:15 GMT 

TheCowboyPoet wrote:
I didn't really know what to expect, I'd heard a lot of mixed things about Bob's concerts these days but his band was top notch, even the songs I wasn't as into (the Sinatra/standards) were great thanks to Donnie's pedal steel and the rest of the group. Bob's piano playing was great and his vocals were better than I thought they'd be. I doubt he'll ever play around these parts again but hopefully I can see him at least one more time in some place like Vancouver at some point.

I think what makes Melancholy Mood a stand out for me (and I'm not into the Sinatra/standards) is Charlie Sexton's solo before the song starts!

PostPosted: Tue July 25th, 2017, 23:08 GMT 
Promethium Member

From today's front page, someone who hasn't seen Bob for quite some time...or ever.
Pretty standard response.
Most of it almost could've been written at just about anytime in his career, barring song titles.

Dylan mumbles through set
Seeing Bob Dylan, live in concert, is a bucket list item for many music fans. And it's a good idea to keep that bucket handy, like airlines keep little waxy bags handy at every seat.

I freely admit, there was a sense of wonderment in seeing such an icon of culture standing right before my eyes. Like so many in the CN Centre crowd, I'd grown up with Dylan coursing out of my parent's stereo and on black-and-white television. I wasn't a religious fan but I was one of those who applauded when he won the Nobel Prize for Literature because I believed his compositions to be of interstellar intelligence.

I expected Dylan to play a healthy dose of cover tunes on this tour. That has been his way in recent years. I also expected he wouldn't talk to the crowd at all (I hate it when performers don't have personal conversations with the crowd in each town, I think it shows disrespect for the community and lack of commitment to the fans) with his lifelong reputation for aloof behavior.

What I didn't expect was an almost complete lack of intelligibility. As I was leaving the show, I ran into a friend who said "that was an interesting rearrangement of Blowin' In The Wind, wasn't it?" I didn't know what he was talking about. I had to Google the set list to find out the first song of the encore was that massive, ubiquitous song. I didn't have a clue that's what it was.

My 10-year-old son said it best, midway through the experience. "I think they should have subtitles on the stage so we know what he's saying."

Amen, kiddo.

I managed to spot some stuff amid the chaos. I actually enjoyed a lot of what he did, like Highway 61 and Tangled Up In Blue. It almost felt like he was having fun, a couple of times, there, and his version of Make You Feel My Love was quite sweet. But the highlight of the night for me was a rollicking rendition of Desolation Row that had me smiling and engaged, but again, I had to Google it later on to make sure that was indeed the song.

His voice occasionally hit the right notes. It wasn't completely garbled and out of key. But it was like a classic car that had so much rust you had to describe it as having the odd paint spots in amongst the decay.

Amplifying the poor vocals was the choice to sing some of the biggest songs from the crme of the American pop canon. Stormy Weather, That Old Black Magic, Once Upon A Time, Melancholy Mood (the latter two he actually rendered admirably) and the like. But if you can't sing, those songs make the deficiency even brighter.

And they were odd choices to my ear. Many of them are hackneyed tunes in the first place, almost comical in their height on the clich list. In these troubled times of political angst, the patron troubadour of pushback, protest and pondering can't think of anything better to do with his influence than sing lounge pith? In these days of musical richness and abundance - days he helped shape at their beginnings - the most innovative thing on his mind were trite karaoke anthems?

He did succeed in showing some diversity. Standing on a stage set with Hollywood spotlights and vintage incandescent bulbs providing an intimate atmosphere, he struck a film noir pose for much of the show. He dabbled in the sounds of zydeco, Chicago blues, golden-age Nashville, soft rock, Texas swing, and a lot of pop jazz (everything except the folk music he captained in the 1960s).

But what could have been an iconic American songwriter hitchhiking across the great American songbook felt more like a drunken uncle stumbling around spilling the good Scotch from the expensive crystal.

http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/ente ... 1.21344917

PostPosted: Thu July 27th, 2017, 06:04 GMT 

Anyone heard the Soomlos recording of this show? Great that the legendary taper has re-emerged and curious to hear what he's cooked up for us this time.

PostPosted: Thu July 27th, 2017, 18:48 GMT 

MrJudas, where would one find this recording??
EDIT: Found it. Awesome!! Thanks for posting about it.

Also, I happen to know that writer for the Citizen. He's a nice guy but I don't know how you don't recognize Blowin in the Wind. I have heard from people sitting further away that Bob was hard to understand, I'd chalk that up to hockey rinks not really being the best place for a concert like that. Sitting in row 5, Bob sounded pretty strong for him, I didn't really notice him being off key, a little mumbly at times but, hey, it's Bob Dylan what do you expect?

PostPosted: Thu July 27th, 2017, 23:36 GMT 

The Soomlos 7-22 show has the best sound quality of all the circulated shows this year, so far, IMO. Band is upfront as well as Bob's voice, crystal clear recording!!!

PostPosted: Fri July 28th, 2017, 16:03 GMT 

Yeah it's really good. I gave a copy to one of my friends who sat at the back of the arena and he said the bootleg sounds better than it did in the building :lol:

PostPosted: Sun July 30th, 2017, 12:40 GMT 

Could anyone put up the Soomlos recording in Mediafire MP3 320 format by any chance? Very much looking forward to a Soomlos gem.