Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu December 14th, 2017, 20:44 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue July 15th, 2014, 09:44 GMT 

...unless you have a high tolerance for boredom.

PostPosted: Tue July 15th, 2014, 10:18 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:

I cannot confirm this at all. There's people all ages at the show. It's always a mixed crowd. Many young people. Mother with two pre-teen kids right next to me in Flensburg. Teen boy absolutely awed by his first Dylan show (and being offered space at the rail for the encore) in Rostock. Pretty much forever young crowd of travelling tourgoing people. We need GA shows.

I agree! Until attending a stand up show, I didn't think it would be as fun, and it positively is-with its own mood-

And you always see thousands of kids -well every generation in the crowds -part of what makes the live Dylan concert so interesting-all the theater of that diverse crowd

PostPosted: Tue July 15th, 2014, 10:48 GMT 

There are absolutely people of all ages I even saw teenager last night. Im in mid midthirties and most look like my parents age or even older at the shows I've been to (more than 25). Ofcourse it differs from show to show, town to town. But in the end most of the audience are the ones who grew up with his music, which ofcourse is natural. A lot of the people in the front section last night are getting too old for the shuffling, getting beer thrown at etc. Seated shows gives more attention to the music and less to people wanting to get infront of you. Personally I don't mind the GA shows - both seated and GA are good, it gives some very different experiences.

PostPosted: Tue July 15th, 2014, 11:51 GMT 

Blind Boy Zimmerman wrote:
A lot of the people in the front section last night are getting too old for the shuffling, getting beer thrown at etc.

Even when I was younger I was too old for getting beer thrown at me. What's the use to throw cans of beer around anyway? Isn't beer meant for drinking?

By the way, if a seated show takes place in an interesting town I use to visit the town first, which is no less exhausting than queueing early at the venue. And I don't have the thrill of finding out if my choice of the door/lock was right. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue July 15th, 2014, 12:04 GMT 
Promethium Member

h.egbert wrote:
What's the use to throw cans of beer around anyway? Isn't beer meant for drinking?

Rarely do venues have beer worth drinking, that might be one reason.
Yes, visiting the region, city or town and it's pubs usually beats the line-up scene, agreed, Mr. Beekeeper.

PostPosted: Tue July 15th, 2014, 13:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

Thirded!

If Bob can stand the touring scene, his fans should stand the touring scene.

There's always the option of listening to the show in a living room afterwards if the scene is too much to handle.

PostPosted: Tue July 15th, 2014, 13:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

There are seats at most places if you want to sit.... not festivals, but most other venues.

PostPosted: Tue July 15th, 2014, 13:22 GMT 

Face it, going to a rock concert is about as cheesy as it gets. Save your money.

PostPosted: Tue July 15th, 2014, 13:55 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
There are seats at most places if you want to sit.... not festivals, but most other venues.

There are seats and there are seats. Seats in a seated show are either good seats or not so good seats (aka bad seats). The good seats in a seated show are hard to get, I guess ticket sellers are sitting on them until they sold enough bad seats.

Seats in a partly seated show are either bad seats or very bad seats. If you're lucky you have a bad view to the stage and if you are unlucky you have a bad view to the stage plus people discussing their working day or the latest barbeque.

As long as I can make to the rail, I'll do (are walking frames allowed there?). Maybe I can fetch a can of beer the next time.

PostPosted: Tue July 15th, 2014, 14:12 GMT 
Promethium Member

Every pleasure got an edge of pain
So pay for your ticket and don't complain

:wink:

PostPosted: Tue July 15th, 2014, 14:23 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
Every pleasure got an edge of pain
So pay for your ticket and don't complain

:wink:

I've been burned before and I know the score
So you won't hear me complain

PostPosted: Tue July 15th, 2014, 14:26 GMT 
Promethium Member

Well then, keep on smiling through the fence at him.

PostPosted: Tue July 15th, 2014, 14:32 GMT 

A Merry Llama wrote:
Thirded!

If Bob can stand the touring scene, his fans should stand the touring scene.

There's always the option of listening to the show in a living room afterwards if the scene is too much to handle.

Hehe well, Bob is sitting down most of the time and actually always has a decent view. With Bob and the crowd getting older I just think it would be more relevant to do smaller seated shows as last year. Both are fine by me. It was just annoying seeing some people my parents age trying to enjoy the show and then getting beer thrown at them by drunk 15 year olds too hammered to realize who and what they are watching. These situations and people in fight mode happended both concerts I attended this time around.

PostPosted: Tue July 15th, 2014, 15:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

This show is very subdued and doesn't suit the GA experience, at least I don't think it would for me. It's not really beer and boogie time, more listen with a glass of scotch time.

PostPosted: Tue July 15th, 2014, 15:16 GMT 
Mercury Member

I have done the rail a couple of times.... and it is special..... but I also have done my last one.... that is just too much standing and since I am short, too much getting stepped on..... but that is not to say that I am not very, very glad I did it....with the help of friends I have had some excellent placement at the rail...... If you are up for it, the rail is the BEST place to be.....

I have never had "good" seats at a Dylan concert..... ok, ones yes, good ones no..... but I have had excellent seats for a Crosby and Nash concert in a great venue in Austin. Fifth row at the Bass concert hall.... and that was excellent.... better than even closer might have been.... comfy, room to move around...... high stage so here was no blocking the view..... But one thing for sure, even with those most excellent seats there is not that electric that goes on at the Dylan concerts that I have attended..... It was a most excellent concert, but not electric.... and another odd thing that I was thinking of just the other day..... afterwards the buses were parked just outside the back exit door and it was easy to walk right over and talk to whoever was hanging about.....no security stop, nothing.... just got to go by and talk to the band guys about the show.....

PostPosted: Tue July 15th, 2014, 16:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

i here ya, BBZ, age clashes are not fun to experience, but I do like that element of a Bob show, seeing people of so many walks of life in one space.

perhaps he can begin performing twice per evening and have age bracket requirements for each show.
the early/late show system was a great experience in Madison a few years ago. nearly 4 hours of Bob, oh my! Not Dark Yet & Visions both in one evening.

and time was *well spent* between the shows.
of course, 30 somethings would belong to both age brackets.

PostPosted: Tue July 15th, 2014, 22:02 GMT 
Promethium Member

A Merry Llama wrote:
age clashes are not fun to experience

Maybe substitute the word "attitude" for "age". I never felt like age really ever mattered.

PostPosted: Tue July 15th, 2014, 22:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

i'm with you on that one, BF....

except when the number '18' is involved of course!

PostPosted: Tue July 15th, 2014, 23:03 GMT 
Promethium Member

smoke wrote:
It's not really beer and boogie time, more listen with a glass of scotch time.

I need to re-outfit, dammit.

PostPosted: Sat July 19th, 2014, 02:50 GMT 

On Monday afternoon, I was walking the streets of Helsingborg, trying to pass some time. All of a sudden I saw a man heading in my direction. He was wearing a hoodie and over-sized shades. It didn't take me more than a fraction of a second to identify him. It was Bob Dylan. I know how much he values his privacy, so I decided that I would pretend that I hadn't seen him and walk on. I thought being starstruck was something that happened to other people, not me. But here I was, with hands shaking, starstruck.

The concert later that night was excellent. Dylan played what is now known as the "regular set". The performance of a largely rewritten "Workingman's Blues #2" was in itself worth the price of admission, but there were many other highlights as well, like "Tangled" (yes, really), "Love Sick", "High Water" and "Long & Wasted Years".

The magic of the more intimate shows at Stockholm Waterfront last fall wasn't there, but the show was more than good enough.

The next night in Gothenburg was completely different, but not in any way worse than the show in Helsingborg. I understood that things had changed when Stu noodled on an electric guitar instead of an acoustic. The first few songs sounded weak, but things quickly improved and a solid show followed. A tender "Girl of the North Country", a rare "Shelter from the Storm" and a totally rearranged "Cry A While" were some of the highlights.

The shows were not perfect, but Dylan seemed to really make an effort to sing as well as he can these days and to give the audience their money's worth. He also really seemed to enjoy it.

PostPosted: Sat July 19th, 2014, 05:12 GMT 

you coulda said hi or something, he wouldn't mind. just don't go blowin his spot up yellin like oh my god it's bob dylan you're bob dylan aren't you oh my god!

PostPosted: Sat July 19th, 2014, 07:39 GMT 
Titanium Member

thanks HardTimes, i had seen someone mentioned the same on twitter, was this you? fascinating how small the world can be sometimes. glad you kept the moment free of words

PostPosted: Sat July 19th, 2014, 21:48 GMT 

bobschool wrote:
thanks HardTimes, i had seen someone mentioned the same on twitter, was this you?

Perhaps. I wrote about it on Twitter, in Swedish.

https://twitter.com/Tiburtius/status/488693616882483200

PostPosted: Sun July 20th, 2014, 00:45 GMT 
Titanium Member

yes i saw that at the time - you have seen bob in the north country a lot then :)