Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed December 13th, 2017, 05:34 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon July 14th, 2014, 23:30 GMT 
Promethium Member

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
I do like to think I'm strategic in when I do both things.

Are you talking about the bra cam?

PostPosted: Tue July 15th, 2014, 07:42 GMT 

Just read that Bob did a big speech about cameras at a recent concert in norway, and basically threatened to walk off if he saw a single camera.

It does make me curious - and maybe that's the point. And reading here about the various comical antics to avoid the lens, intrigues me more. But why? Surely it can't be vanity in that sense? He looks great, and he knows it. Is it part of a new direction of the 'mysterious bob' schtick?
I mean, all power to him, not cluttering the media with all kinds of stupid statements, but it still is intriguing.

How long has he shied away from cameras? Is it only at concerts? There seems to be plenty of portraits of him around from the last few years... Is is a set rule or does it depend on his mood?

PostPosted: Tue July 15th, 2014, 08:29 GMT 

Bob did a speech about this!?!!

That sounds doubtful.

PostPosted: Tue July 15th, 2014, 10:24 GMT 
Promethium Member

Anr Bjotk wrote:
Just read that Bob did a big speech about cameras at a recent concert in norway, and basically threatened to walk off if he saw a single camera.

Really? Please pass that link here. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue July 15th, 2014, 12:36 GMT 

Blind Boy Zimmerman wrote:
Bob did a speech about this!?!!

That sounds doubtful.

Yeah, sorry, read another article and it seems this speech was made by the concert people, not Bob. Makes more sense. However, the concert people did state that Bob would walk off if he saw any cameras.

The paper did a sneaky pic anyway: Image

But back to message: When did this start and is a dogmatic rule or just depending on his mood?

PostPosted: Tue July 15th, 2014, 12:44 GMT 
Mercury Member

Anr Bjotk wrote:
However, the concert people did state that Bob would walk off if he saw any cameras.

That also seems doubtful. I've heard no one else mention that in announcement about taking photos.

PostPosted: Tue July 15th, 2014, 15:23 GMT 
Mercury Member

I think that speech is pretty standard stuff now.... and it does not say he is going to walk off if he sees a camera.... Just looking right at a person with a camera and giving that mean look is quite enough to make the camera and the person melt into the floor....... :lol:

I think his dislike of camera's goes back quite a ways....... long enough that I am surprise that anyone going to his concert doesn't know about it beforehand already.

I really think that it is a distraction factor as much as anything..... he doesn't want himself, the band, or the other people at the show to be distracted by the lights of a camera or cell phone.....he wants the moment to be now!!!!

PostPosted: Tue July 15th, 2014, 16:13 GMT 
Titanium Member

CAN WE ALL JUST TAKE A CHILL PILL PLEASE?

PostPosted: Tue July 15th, 2014, 20:11 GMT 

I saw an early "announcement" show. There was nothing about Bob leaving the stage. Just something like, we hope you won't ruin your experience of the show by viewing it through a tiny screen. In so many words.

PostPosted: Tue July 15th, 2014, 23:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

Anr Bjotk wrote:

Who's ass is that above Bob's head? Looks like she's chasing George. And don't tell me it's Stu.

PostPosted: Fri July 18th, 2014, 04:11 GMT 

Brian Hamilton Smith wrote:
notdarkyet wrote:

I would love if it Dylan released a live CD made up from these shows and used that photo as the album cover.

LMAO!

PostPosted: Fri July 18th, 2014, 10:50 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Anr Bjotk wrote:

Who's ass is that above Bob's head? Looks like she's chasing George. And don't tell me it's Stu.

Thats Stu allright :P

PostPosted: Sun July 20th, 2014, 10:51 GMT 

Quote:
Both venues where intimate and it would have been distracting to text or take photos- more so than at a Bob show.

This gets to the heart of the matter. Mobile phones would not be allowed or tolerated at an intimate concert in a classical music setting as a sign of respect to the artists performing and fellow concert goers and to be able to hear the music with no distractions. This is well understood, respected and is the norm.
Indeed before the concert, concert goers are reminded to PLEASE turn off their mobile phones.
Maybe Bob Dylan can not ask but tell people to turn off their phones and cameras - as it is normally clearly stated clearly on the reverse of tickets that no photography is allowed at concerts
Keith Jarrett will not allow any mobile phones or cameras to be used at and during his concerts. I saw a concert of his in the Ancient Odeum in Patras Greece in 1988. It worked beautifully. An announcement was made before the concert began that no cameras or flash photography is allowed. Please turn off your phones NOW.
This also requires some respect and cooperation from his audiences. Telling Greeks to turn off their phones? You thought that it would never work, but amazingly it did and Greeks respected Keith Jarrett's request. I do remember one person taking a photograph and the one click that was heard was an incredible distraction and shattered the beautiful experience up to that point. The staff in the theatre were on to this person in seconds and he/she was asked for the camera until the end of the performance or asked to leave immediately.
It would be very difficult to enforce in an outdoor setting with thousands of concert goers, but in a more intimate setting in a concert hall of a few thousand people it could be enforced with security and staff co-operation. Prior to the concert, as with Keith Jarrett concerts an announcement could be made: "For this concert all mobile phones and cameras must be turned off. Failure to do so will result in your mobile phone camera being confiscated and or ejection from the venue." It works for Keith Jarrett at his concerts. It worked at the concert I was at.

PostPosted: Sun July 20th, 2014, 12:57 GMT 
Promethium Member

Stewart C wrote:
Keith Jarrett will not allow any mobile phones or cameras to be used at and during his concerts. I saw a concert of his in the Ancient Odeum in Patras Greece in 1988. It worked beautifully. An announcement was made before the concert began that no cameras or flash photography is allowed. Please turn off your phones NOW.

Prior to the concert, as with Keith Jarrett concerts an announcement could be made: "For this concert all mobile phones and cameras must be turned off. Failure to do so will result in your mobile phone camera being confiscated and or ejection from the venue." It works for Keith Jarrett at his concerts. It worked at the concert I was at.

Three questions come to mind:
1. How many concert goers had cell phones 16 years ago?
2. Requesting MORE security?
3. Who the hell is Keith Jarrett?

PostPosted: Sun July 20th, 2014, 13:14 GMT 

Quote:

Three answers come to mind:
It was 26 years ago, not 16 as you posted.
Keith Jarrett requested and continues to request that no photographs be taken during his concerts. It has been respected over the years.
It worked at the concert I was at and continues to be observed and respected at classical/"intimate concerts", as I posted. Security is not needed when it is understood.
If you don't know, Google his name.

PostPosted: Sun July 20th, 2014, 19:35 GMT 
Promethium Member

Stewart C wrote:
Quote:

Three answers come to mind:
It was 26 years ago, not 16 as you posted.
Keith Jarrett requested and continues to request that no photographs be taken during his concerts. It has been respected over the years.
It worked at the concert I was at and continues to be observed and respected at classical/"intimate concerts", as I posted. Security is not needed when it is understood.
If you don't know, Google his name.

Only one thing came to mind. Don't come here in the morning, after a late, late night, without first making a Bitches Brew of coffee. I won't make that mistake again, I hope.
1. Thanks for the math lesson. You are absolutely correct! 2014 minus 1988 equals 26.
2. When people cooperate toward a shared goal, the need for security drops...like a Dead show. You are correct again!
3. Google does work, Stewart C. Ding, ding, ding! Correct again, sir! I obviously need to become more educated on the Jazz scene. I was very relieved to see that he wasn't of the Justin Beaver type. I love Miles Davis, but admittedly only really discovered him tangentially.

So thanks! I probably will stay with Dylan though. Good on ya, Stew. See ya round the threads!

PostPosted: Sun July 20th, 2014, 22:32 GMT 

Quote:
Only one thing came to mind. Don't come here in the morning, after a late, late night, without first making a Bitches Brew of coffee. I won't make that mistake again, I hope.
1. Thanks for the math lesson. You are absolutely correct! 2014 minus 1988 equals 26.
2. When people cooperate toward a shared goal, the need for security drops...like a Dead show. You are correct again!
3. Google does work, Stewart C. Ding, ding, ding! Correct again, sir! I obviously need to become more educated on the Jazz scene. I was very relieved to see that he wasn't of the Justin Beaver type. I love Miles Davis, but admittedly only really discovered him tangentially.

1. ;-)
2. It works at classical concerts and it worked at the concert of Keith Jarrett I saw. Respect for the musicians and the shared experience means that mobile phones and cameras are not seen or heard during the concerts. I was suggesting this as a possible solution for Bob Dylan concerts in small intimate/classical type venues without mobile phone lights and cameras during the performance.
You point being that it would require a lot of added security and additional hassles to enforce. Perhaps you are correct.
3. It was hard to tell from your post whether you knew of or were familiar with Keith Jarrett.

PostPosted: Mon July 21st, 2014, 01:31 GMT 

Stewart C wrote:
I do remember one person taking a photograph and the one click that was heard was an incredible distraction and shattered the beautiful experience up to that point.

This statement is profoundly silly.

PostPosted: Mon July 21st, 2014, 01:36 GMT 
Promethium Member

Beets14beets wrote:
Stewart C wrote:
I do remember one person taking a photograph and the one click that was heard was an incredible distraction and shattered the beautiful experience up to that point.

The shot heard 'round the concert.

PostPosted: Mon July 21st, 2014, 01:45 GMT 

The three mic thing seems rather bizarre.
I saw a recent youtube video from this tour and it indeed looks like he doesn't want to be seen.
Who knows? Probably not many other than Bob.

One thing to consider is that we don't know the extent to which people may stalk or even threaten celebs. like Bob.
It may be some type of attempt to secure himself in some way, shape, or form. But its anyones guess.
Being photographed just seems to go with the territory. I was recently backstage at a venue that Bob played two years ago. In the hallway they have framed photos taken at all the events that have been held there. Included was President Obama. I looked, but no Bob Dylan. Seems ridiculous, but obviously he does not like to be photographed and sees to it that the policy is enforced as strictly as possible.

PostPosted: Mon July 21st, 2014, 02:54 GMT 
Titanium Member

everyone should maybe stop treating him like he's a porcelain doll, you aren't even getting paid for it, and it makes the art harder to practice

PostPosted: Mon July 21st, 2014, 03:37 GMT 
Titanium Member

that's so funny :) this was just posted, Patti Smith keeping the MC5 light burning, at Pori Jazz on 07-19

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsIMKiJvf94
Published on Jul 20, 2014
Fan Jonne Lahtela of Lahti jumps on stage but instead of being shoved back by security, the surprised fan is invited by Patti to join in on guitar :). That's the way to do it!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Bimbomable/videos

PostPosted: Mon July 21st, 2014, 05:51 GMT 

Beets14beets wrote:
Stewart C wrote:

Nah, it's actually not if you know the history and the mystery of Keith Jarrett, and how rare a thing it is to be in his presence when he performs live.

I have a feeling the only reason it sounds silly to you is because you're perhaps unaware of the framework of such a scenario.

Why shouldn't artists be able to have some say in the overall atmosphere in which they perform?

Stewart C is right about the accepted demeanor at classical concerts. That is due in great part to the presumption by most in the crowd that virtually all classical and many jazz shows these days are routinely recorded professionally for possible release, and nobody wants to be the jackass who screws up an otherwise beautiful take of a hushed composition with whooping, chatter or inopportune applause.

I'm not suggesting that folks should treat Dylan like a porcelain doll, but I am suggesting that the his shows these days are only marginally similar to the shows he was putting on when in, say, 1993 or even 2008. They are a different animal, and in many ways, much closer to jazz or classical concerts than standard issue rock or country shows, despite the volume level (at times) and instrumentation onstage.

There are many moments at current Dylan shows where the concerts could benefit from a bit more of the attitude that is brought by attendees at those sorts of events than typical "rock crowds."

Look to the recordings of the recent Royal Albert Hall show for proof of this.

Keith Jarrett is a rare animal, with specific needs and wants out of playing live concerts. So, too is Dylan, in his own way.

~ L.F.

PostPosted: Mon July 21st, 2014, 06:50 GMT 

Beets14beets wrote:

You had to have been there to appreciate the intent and effort of Keith Jarrett and the audience to create a special atmosphere.

PostPosted: Mon July 21st, 2014, 06:57 GMT 

Lonesomefetter wrote:

Nah, it's actually not if you know the history and the mystery of Keith Jarrett, and how rare a thing it is to be in his presence when he performs live.
I have a feeling the only reason it sounds silly to you is because you're perhaps unaware of the framework of such a scenario.
Why shouldn't artists be able to have some say in the overall atmosphere in which they perform?
There are many moments at current Dylan shows where the concerts could benefit from a bit more of the attitude that is brought by attendees at those sorts of events than typical "rock crowds."
Keith Jarrett is a rare animal, with specific needs and wants out of playing live concerts.

Thank you. Your post makes my main points clear.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next