Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon November 20th, 2017, 02:06 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue June 24th, 2014, 19:45 GMT 
Promethium Member

Today. Just saying. It's been that long already. Wow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVCxpx9x8eA

PostPosted: Tue June 24th, 2014, 19:53 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:

Thanks, been meaning to hear this since reading it in Andrew Muir's book.

You'll never ever hear that from Dylan ever again. And to be frank, who could sing along with that (well, I think I'm pretty good at predicting Dylan's phrasing, but I can't prove it).

This predates my appreciation for Dylan by roughly a year. Wow nearly a year since I started this weird fascination/craze.

That is an awesome moment for the Glaswegian crowd. He must have suddenly realised the reason why he returns to the British Isles so often to perform.

Last edited by Oneofusmustknow on Tue June 24th, 2014, 20:03 GMT, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue June 24th, 2014, 19:56 GMT 
Promethium Member

^
I wish they still had JLAW on youtube...

PostPosted: Tue June 24th, 2014, 20:04 GMT 

Good show with a great atmosphere, not unlike Vicar St. 2000. A pleasure and privilege to have attended both intimate gigs.

PostPosted: Tue June 24th, 2014, 22:44 GMT 

I went to this gig when I was a young long haired 17 year old. I remember a woman having a meltdown at the front door as her husband had forgotten their tickets! I rushed to the front only to be stuck beside the drunkest guy in the place who could barely stand and sang for the full hour wait before Dylan came on. I was so close I could see the beads of sweat forming on bob's beak and thinking he must have been melting in that jacket.

Epic gig and this video almost doesn't do the crowd justice, I remember screaming at the top of my lungs and not being able to hear myself, it was a wall of Glaswegian roaring and he clearly appreciated it to note the occasion :) no dylan gig has came close since for me even though I've seen plenty of good ones. I wish he'd come back to the barras!

On a side note the drifters escape opening to this gig is amazing!

Good memories! I still have the barrowlands poster on my wall!

PostPosted: Tue June 24th, 2014, 22:48 GMT 
Promethium Member

I was 21 and it was my first time for Bob in the isles. Also I thought singing along at a Dylan concert was a total no-go. I was shocked! :lol:
Unfortunately, both halves of my ticket were taken during the run in, and I don't have a poster. It was the start of my first "real" tour though, and I went all the way up to Portugal for the final festival show. Sweet innocent times...

PostPosted: Tue June 24th, 2014, 22:51 GMT 

Oh man that must've been so cool to be at that show! Seriously, what an honor to have Dylan say that about the audience. I really want to go to a show sometime when the whole audience is really into the music and everybody sings together like this. People lots of times criticize Bob for not interacting enough with the audience...but what about the audience?! Bob clearly likes it when the audience shows that they are really digging the music. Just sayin'...

Also, this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaW12HZJyaA

PostPosted: Tue June 24th, 2014, 22:56 GMT 

That sucks you didn't get a poster. I still have the ticket and poster! It was some husstle at the merch stand afterwards though!

In a stroke of good fortune I got sent an extra t in the park ticket by mistake that year. I sold it to a friend which funded the £90 I had to fork out for a ticket to the barras gig on eBay! Money well spent :)

PostPosted: Tue June 24th, 2014, 23:06 GMT 
Promethium Member

I went without a ticket - got lucky when somebody's girlfriend couldn't attend. They were trying to scalp, but I made well clear I didn't have enough money exchanged to afford scalped ticket and bus fare back to the airport... so I got in at close to original price.

PostPosted: Tue June 24th, 2014, 23:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

The thing about the barras is that just about anyone who plays it gets the same reaction. They'd sing along at the top of their lungs to anything. Best venue in the world by a country mile. It's like some odd timewarp. You have to go through full airport style security to get in and there's always a sense that a fight could break out any minute - and they often do. You become surrounded by kids dressing like mods and skinheads and chicks with beehives, like some 70s period drama. Once the music starts though, it's unfailingly received with pure loud and sweaty devotion. Haste ye back Bob!

PostPosted: Tue June 24th, 2014, 23:19 GMT 
Promethium Member

Don't spoil the memories - you were just a baby then. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue June 24th, 2014, 23:24 GMT 

Not only my first Dylan concert, but my first concert full stop. I was fourteen and completely unsure what to expect, only having just developed an interest in Bob Dylan. In fact, I think I half expected him to come out strumming a guitar and singing 'Blowin' in the Wind'. So when he comes out, dressed in a kick-ass cowboy suit and hat, takes his place behind an electric keyboard and kicked into a rendition of 'Drifter's Escape' that blew the roof, ceiling and walls off the place, I knew I was "in" for life. Ten years and seven shows later (wish it was more), I'm still very much "in".

Don't know if there's recordings kicking about on here, but if you've never heard this show and can find it, it's worth a listen. Raw, bluesy, loud and very atmospheric - It rocks. Thanks, Bob.

PostPosted: Wed June 25th, 2014, 00:00 GMT 
Mercury Member

Wow! Just watched that video for the first time. Very much enjoyed it. I thought the whole thing was going to fall apart after the guitar lead in "Like A Rolling Stone." Dylan starts punching nonsense on that little ringtone machine and the ship began to sink. Luckily, he stopped and immediately got back to business.

PostPosted: Wed June 25th, 2014, 00:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

Oh, fantastic that so many of us were there! Comrades!

PostPosted: Wed June 25th, 2014, 08:11 GMT 

Good to see (a considerably more compact looking) Stu taking electric lead and doing a good job on the solos too. Could I suggest Bob's vocal is easier on the ear today than it was then?

PostPosted: Wed June 25th, 2014, 22:05 GMT 

Wow - ten years already.
These were the tickets to have in a small and iconic glasgow venue amidst an arena tour- played the much larger Glasgow SECC to a full house the night before,and turned up to receive an honorary doctorate from St Andrew's University while in Scotland.
I was there - queued all afternoon then on the rail somewhat to the left , bass from the speakers shaking my whole body .Hot and humid inside that packed room, almost constant stream of sweat dripping from Dylan's nose .
Best concert atmosphere i've ever experienced .
Great memories - thanks for reviving them.

8)
And yes there is a case for saying that Bob's 2014 voice is , or can be,at least on a par with the 2004 voice, which maybe bodes well, but following Dylan was much more exciting back then

PostPosted: Fri June 27th, 2014, 14:57 GMT 

The Bele Horizonte sing along is something else...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaW12HZJyaA

Went to the Cardiff show in 2004, one of Stus first shows. Great sing along on It Aint Me Babe that year, big chorus build up. Larry was amazing that year, doing a lot of work!

Can't believe it's been 10 years... was I really only 22?...

PostPosted: Fri June 27th, 2014, 17:56 GMT 

We were there too. Tickets were like Hens teeth and even managed to pick up a spare on the day of the gig.

A mate of mine managed to get a quick look at the setlist at the mixing desk before the gig as he asked the sound guy.

The sing-a-long-a-Bob started with Just Like a Woman when you could see the whole band becoming aware that the crowd were being extremely vocal.

Decent enough gig in one of the best venues in the world. The atmosphere in the venue was the best ever experienced at the 30 Dylan gigs I've been to. This place is legendary and if you've never heard of it or been there maybe you should google it.

As a bonus Engerluund went out to Portugal on penalties at Euro 2004 after the gig that night much to the amusement of the crowd in the Scotia Bar.

If only we can get him to play King Tut's Wah Wah Hut. Now that would be an intimate gig!

PostPosted: Fri June 27th, 2014, 21:17 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:

I still remember it, as if it were yesterday....

**How does it feeeeel**

PostPosted: Fri June 27th, 2014, 23:27 GMT 

qoute: As a bonus Engerluund went out to Portugal on penalties at Euro 2004 after the gig that night much to the amusement of the crowd in the Scotia Bar. qoute

I was there too - as a lot of you on the ER-forum, and I was on the Scotia bar as well. I was kind of scared how the Scottish people reacted when Beckham missed a penalty at the end of the game and england lost. As a Norwegian I would have gone for our neighbours the Swedes if they were playing.

But, this year I will probably see my 200th Dylan concert, and if I look back, Barrowlands is one of the few I will remember the best. I was standing together with one of the well known tapers and as the audience were singing along with Bob, I asked him "in a very silent voice" if I should try to shelter him. He answered: "Give a damn in the recording, enjoy the mood". I'll never forget it, he said something so true! We were both at the two concerts in Ireland a few days ago and will see each other later on this tour too. If you're going to one or more of the concerts, enjoy the mood. Great mood in ireland, by the way - thanks to Bob and the people at the venues, no hassel, no searching for bottles, recording equipment or anything - just like it should be on any concert.

PostPosted: Sun June 29th, 2014, 01:30 GMT 
Titanium Member

Now this is a Barrowlands audience! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQivU9MmYR8

Happily I'm going to the second night tonight and haven't been as excited about a gig in a long long time!

PostPosted: Sun June 29th, 2014, 12:38 GMT 

Ive seen a few bands at oor barras but nothing, nothing compares to that night. And i wasnt even obsessive back then lol. I still get tingles when i hear the boot, drifters was incredible as just like a women, aint me babe ect. Remember seeing the sweat pour off bobs nose and hoping he wouldnt collapse. its the only time ive seen bob and im forever happy with that.

PostPosted: Mon June 30th, 2014, 15:31 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:

Happily I'm going to the second night tonight and haven't been as excited about a gig in a long long time!

Did it live up to expectations? Looks great on the clip.

PostPosted: Mon June 30th, 2014, 15:42 GMT 
Titanium Member

man in the moon wrote:
gibsona07 wrote:

Did it live up to expectations? Looks great on the clip.

Yes! It was absolutely incredible. Audience were predictably nuts. 2 hours of sweaty, noisy, chaos. Phenomenal!

PostPosted: Mon June 30th, 2014, 18:12 GMT 

Talking about singalongs... what about this one? 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwmFTIfl1tY