Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat October 21st, 2017, 17:52 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon June 16th, 2014, 11:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

Why do some people tour, tour, tour, without really knowing why?

Maybe it's darshan with Dylan that they seek.

Darshan is ultimately difficult to define, since it is an event in consciousness—an interaction in presence between devotee and God/guru; or between devotee and image or sculpture, which focuses and calls out the consciousness of the devotee. In either event, a heightening of consciousness or spirituality is the intended effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darśana. (from Wikipedia, so it must be true)

PostPosted: Mon June 16th, 2014, 14:07 GMT 
Mercury Member

I am not so sure about this exactly.... but I do think that he tours to connect ... in his own way.... to the fans.... who I think he loves... as a group, even if some specific ones might drive him crazy...... also I think he moves to keep himself thinking and staying aware and inspired..... and for as much as that man gets himself involved in (art/music/books/etc, etc, etc. ) I would say it works. Now late the show begin!!!! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon June 16th, 2014, 15:34 GMT 

I've always thought it has a lot to do with darshans. I studied Indology (don't ask...). The lecturer who explained what a darshan was told us that it applies to rockstars as well and the ultimate darshan is when you steal a second of the other person's life :) By "stealing" he meant that millisecond when your "guru" looks at you. You become a part of his life for that millisecond.

PostPosted: Mon June 16th, 2014, 17:42 GMT 
Promethium Member

Stealin', stealin'...

PostPosted: Wed June 18th, 2014, 02:09 GMT 
Titanium Member

Can't ya hear that Darshan Whistle blowing, blowin' like a heightening of consciousness or spirituality....

PostPosted: Wed June 18th, 2014, 04:37 GMT 
Promethium Member

Wait a minute...are you asking if it's a darshan with Dylan that his fans seek or if Dylan's seeking a darshan by going on the road? I suppose the former may be true for some...but I know Dylan said something to the effect that when he's onstage it's a different thing from being in regular life, which makes sense to me. I wish I had the quote. As a musician myself, I can vouch that nothing is quite like playing in front of an audience; it's what many musicians live for, including (apparently) Mr. Bob.

PostPosted: Wed June 18th, 2014, 04:43 GMT 
Titanium Member

I believe Trey Anastasio eloquently referred to the act of shredding a guitar melody on stage in front of a crowd hanging on to every note to be the similar to the sensation one would have if they <the band> were to be allowed to orgasm over the entire crowd to their approval.

PostPosted: Wed June 18th, 2014, 11:30 GMT 
Promethium Member

smoke wrote:
Wait a minute...are you asking if it's a darshan with Dylan that his fans seek or if Dylan's seeking a darshan by going on the road?
More wondering than asking, Smoke. From the fan perspective, not Bob's. The thought developed from another thread, "Shadows in the Night-is there a new album" over in General Discussions.

Nappy asked Joey a question that got me wondering:
Nappy wrote:
I sincerely do hope you enjoy the shows, regardless of the setlist. But don't you think it's quite strange to attend 9 shows of something you don't find entertaining?

For me: I've also had my doubts about Bob over the years, but usually found a way to see strings of shows during each tour not always knowing why. Maybe hope, not sure. I have not been let down this decade after losing some interest during those keyboard/circus organ years.

PostPosted: Mon July 7th, 2014, 14:34 GMT 

I've also studied Indology in uni, and remember reading an article about how many of the people who were crowding to have a glimpse of Gandhi during one of his all-India tours explicitly said that they had come for his "darshan". Apparently, it didn't matter to them whether Gandhi saw himself as being on the deity-side of the "darshan" transaction. But it could also be said that this was an example of his pragmatical attitude. Enormous crowds of people did show up, allowing him to approach the colonial administration with more popular authority. By having some of his tours follow the same navigational structure as the medieval "digvijaya" tour, which kings would undertake in order to demarcate their territory, he was certainly open to couch his appearances in both secular and religious symbology at the same time. I think Dylan is no stranger to doing the same.

PostPosted: Wed July 9th, 2014, 00:30 GMT 
Promethium Member

Yes, Dylan is totally Darshan-able. Don't you dare miss it!

PostPosted: Wed December 10th, 2014, 02:06 GMT 
Promethium Member

From NYC 2014 Live Set thread:
bobschool wrote:
there should be a thread "I'm not delusional" Bob's interactions with the audience"

This might be that thread, Schools.

PostPosted: Wed December 10th, 2014, 07:21 GMT 

Kiga wrote:
I've always thought it has a lot to do with darshans. I studied Indology (don't ask...). The lecturer who explained what a darshan was told us that it applies to rockstars as well and the ultimate darshan is when you steal a second of the other person's life :) By "stealing" he meant that millisecond when your "guru" looks at you. You become a part of his life for that millisecond.

"...and Buddy Holly looked at me!" ( from Bobs acceptance speech at the Grammys 1997 I think it was)

PostPosted: Tue December 23rd, 2014, 04:31 GMT 
Promethium Member

WrittenInMySoul wrote:
Kiga wrote:

"...and Buddy Holly looked at me!" ( from Bobs acceptance speech at the Grammys 1997 I think it was)

And Gorgeous George.

PostPosted: Thu October 8th, 2015, 11:05 GMT 
Promethium Member

matulah wrote:
I've also studied Indology in uni, and remember reading an article about how many of the people who were crowding to have a glimpse of Gandhi during one of his all-India tours explicitly said that they had come for his "darshan". Apparently, it didn't matter to them whether Gandhi saw himself as being on the deity-side of the "darshan" transaction. But it could also be said that this was an example of his pragmatical attitude. Enormous crowds of people did show up, allowing him to approach the colonial administration with more popular authority. By having some of his tours follow the same navigational structure as the medieval "digvijaya" tour, which kings would undertake in order to demarcate their territory, he was certainly open to couch his appearances in both secular and religious symbology at the same time.
I think Dylan is no stranger to doing the same.

Indeed.

PostPosted: Sun November 27th, 2016, 14:00 GMT 
Promethium Member

Gotta admit, Darshan seems to a facet of this whole thing, the more I think about it.