Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun December 17th, 2017, 06:13 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon December 2nd, 2013, 14:48 GMT 

There are nice audience recordings of a couple of the recent shows, 10-19-13 & 11-7-13, but who wouldn't want a nice official soundboard of something new?? I would gladly pay for this....

PostPosted: Mon December 2nd, 2013, 15:14 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
The Real Albert Hall

Yes, I'd like that.

Err... Is there a fake Albert Hall somewhere?

PostPosted: Mon December 2nd, 2013, 15:20 GMT 
Promethium Member

arthurprecarious wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:
The Real Albert Hall

Yes, I'd like that.

Err... Is there a fake Albert Hall somewhere?

With regard to the so-called Royal Albert Hall 1966 recording for which the title was kept even for the official release even though it was recorded at Manchester Free Trade Hall, this would be the "real"...

PostPosted: Mon December 2nd, 2013, 15:48 GMT 

Belle Laugh wrote:

It sounds like the whole mood and atmosphere was so wonderful (In addition to the music) that a DVD of the experience might be nice in order to experience the warmth that abounded.

Johanna Parker wrote:
Definitely! :D

However, with different "outfits" on for the days, (see Bobschool comments below from the London thread):
bobschool wrote:
silly question, is the suit from the last night black and white - or powder blue - like the review from the front page says?

http://whatsheonaboutnow.blogspot.ie/20 ... om-20.html

i know there is a huge blue light in the back giving highlights, the stage design is so beautiful... i assume Suze is still doing his clothes?, the last night's suit was just right, so hometown and cozy like the show itself.

The clothes are just brilliant, I'm thinkng she was going Teddy Boy too with that second night Edwardian long jacket, a look that started a hundred years earlier in the Napoleonic campaigns, seeing it in its home at RAH. Can you tell i started out in the Art department on film sets? :lol:

Really Suze is such a historian, she's so snazzy. I've been trying to place the panel jackets, but haven't yet. I personally like thinking they're leisure suit seventies for my own twisted sense of charm :lol: , but i think they're fifties of course. the gray one in Duluth makes me cry, but hey i cry for my health, no matter.

The visual part of making a dvd instead of a cd might make it less efficient , having to edit and combine, etc. So, for that and many other reasons, a cd is more likely. But maybe a very brief video disk of just one song or something showing the setting and mood and the grandeur of the experience could be included as a bonus, like the Roy Silver one was that time. ( Love that Roy Silver one, and I've watched it over and over. If the brief part of Bob talking in it had been used as part of an ad for the album, somehow, not a lady alive wouldn't have rushed out to get! :) )

PostPosted: Mon December 2nd, 2013, 16:02 GMT 
Promethium Member

Did anyone present report video cameras? I suppose they could film on the sly...

PostPosted: Mon December 2nd, 2013, 21:22 GMT 

It has been said all shows, everywhere, are taped. :?: Also, the Royal Albert Hall, itself, probably would have the finest of video equipment for other shows, so maybe a flip was switched to capture these events.

During the live set lists, all of those real-time play-by-play tweets and images from Bobschool and others about the outstanding staging and costuming, made me wonder about video for dvd as well, in this discussion about a new Live Album. Would be nice!

PostPosted: Mon December 2nd, 2013, 22:23 GMT 

Definitely no DVD .....no cameras and even if there were very little light :shock:

PostPosted: Mon December 2nd, 2013, 22:28 GMT 
Promethium Member

cohenadmirer wrote:
Definitely no DVD .....no cameras and even if there were very little light :shock:

I thought there was more light at RAH than at the other shows I saw.
Heard one report of filming at an earlier show though, and saw what I took to be official photos being taken at one of the Paris shows.

PostPosted: Mon December 2nd, 2013, 22:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

The last night up and away in the circle it was a little hard to discern him, but first two nights in the Grand Tier he seemed subtly but beautifully lit, almost as if he was glowing from within.

PostPosted: Tue December 3rd, 2013, 03:55 GMT 
Titanium Member

Trev i have to admit, i'm sorta glad you said that, i noticed that too, and i wasn't even there on site!, just connected as it happened through twitter and pictures from people there...

just looking at paolo's photo's later and one little vine of roll on john that night- the next day it kept invading my brain that it felt like he looked as glowing as a bridegroom.

what a triumph.

PostPosted: Tue December 3rd, 2013, 09:42 GMT 

There obviously won't be a DVD as the shows were not professionally filmed. But that doesn't mean to say there isn't scope for a visual aspect to a Live at The Royal Albert Hall release. Along the lines of the Another Self Portrait app, the music could be accompanied by an 'as live' series of tweets and online comments and fans' photos and youtube clips derived from twitter and facebook and maybe even from this site. It doesn't have to be entirely factual - I'm sure Dylan himself would get a kick out of inventing some tweets of his own - but it would reproduce the live experience of this site's 'Live Setlist' threads while listening to the music. It could potentially be very entertaining, with the band kicking into Things Have Changed while your ipod displays questions about Dylan's hat and spats, and what time the show is starting in Australian time. Sure, it would be gimmicky, but it would be a gimmick that touches on the reality of Dylan fandom and the experience of these shows and as such would plug Dylan right back into the zeitgeist or whatever the modern online world we live in is called.

PostPosted: Tue December 3rd, 2013, 09:56 GMT 
Promethium Member

Chuck Waggon wrote:
There obviously won't be a DVD as the shows were not professionally filmed.

And to make such a definite statement, you know this how... ?

PostPosted: Tue December 3rd, 2013, 10:07 GMT 

Film crews tend to be noticeable. I did not notice a film crew at the Albert Hall. That's definitive enough for me.

PostPosted: Tue December 3rd, 2013, 10:10 GMT 
Promethium Member

Okay, fair enough.
I wouldn't suppose Dylan would want cameras on stage / in his face for any such project. I'd assume they'd be positioned elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue December 3rd, 2013, 10:45 GMT 

Couldn't agree more. It wasn't filmed, but it was recorded, just like all of them. Whether there will be a professional mix of that line recording or any others for an official audio release is another question.

Having heard most of the shows now, I'd still assert the final RAH night would be the one I'd choose. All the stars align for that one.

PostPosted: Tue December 3rd, 2013, 11:31 GMT 

For me, the three Albert Hall shows each had their specific identity.

Tuesday was 'London's Burning', with half the audience arriving late due to a fire at London Bridge train station (the other half were tourists who had been at the venue since 11am hoping for a Paul McCartney pop-up concert). The gig went ahead anyway in spite of the stench of charred commuters being sprayed with fire extinguishers in panic by security staff before being allowed into the auditorium. A close personal friend of mine ran from Brighton to Southwark station while ablaze in order to get to the show; on arrival he was smothered in a fire blanket by members of the St John's Ambulance team. Dylan famously sang 'Roll On John' in tribute.

Wednesday was 'Come On, It's Wednesday', when all sorts of things happened that only ever happen on Wednesdays. The biggest lesson learned was Whisky Mac...Just Don't Do It, Mate. But other truths were discovered, such as what fine people Mr Matt, Man On The Moon, Mr Judas Priest and Mr Charles Darwin are, as well as the mysterious Mr Brian Hamilton-Smith who ceased to exist that night. As I say, only on Wednesdays.

Thursday was in many ways 'The Day Before Friday', but that Friday was the day when the universe had been subtly shifted and everything that had been wrong was now a little righter and the light that had shone from Bob Dylan into the hearts and souls of his audience the previous night had made us all understand Bob Dylan, ourselves and the world a little more due to witnessing such a transcendent and triumphant performance.

So, yeah, if I was to choose one to keep for posterity I would go for 'The Day Before Friday.'

PostPosted: Tue December 3rd, 2013, 11:43 GMT 

Chuck Waggon wrote:
For me, the three Albert Hall shows each had their specific identity.

Tuesday was 'London's Burning', with half the audience arriving late due to a fire at London Bridge train station (the other half were tourists who had been at the venue since 11am hoping for a Paul McCartney pop-up concert). The gig went ahead anyway in spite of the stench of charred commuters being sprayed with fire extinguishers in panic by security staff before being allowed into the auditorium. A close personal friend of mine ran from Brighton to Southwark station while ablaze in order to get to the show; on arrival he was smothered in a fire blanket by members of the St John's Ambulance team. Dylan famously sang 'Roll On John' in tribute.

Wednesday was 'Come On, It's Wednesday', when all sorts of things happened that only ever happen on Wednesdays. The biggest lesson learned was Whisky Mac...Just Don't Do It, Mate. But other truths were discovered, such as what fine people Mr Matt, Man On The Moon, Mr Judas Priest and Mr Charles Darwin are, as well as the mysterious Mr Brian Hamilton-Smith who ceased to exist that night. As I say, only on Wednesdays.

Thursday was in many ways 'The Day Before Friday', but that Friday was the day when the universe had been subtly shifted and everything that had been wrong was now a little righter and the light that had shone from Bob Dylan into the hearts and souls of his audience the previous night had made us all understand Bob Dylan, ourselves and the world a little more due to witnessing such a transcendent and triumphant performance.

So, yeah, if I was to choose one to keep for posterity I would go for 'The Day Before Friday.'

Or, The Blood, The Mad & The Lovely.

PostPosted: Tue December 3rd, 2013, 17:02 GMT 
Titanium Member

very charming guys! :lol:

but speaking of the real variances of the three RAH nights, i believe lady byron mentioned the first night, RAH l, was perfect and she i think saw the whole tour?

the first night does glisten on tape, why do you say the last night, RAH lll, Chuck Waggon?

i am amazed at them all, how different every night in every town was...

RAH ll is very feisty and George's drums have an extra kick while bob flirts and feints on the front line, like the band celebrating the triumph of the night before

i say RAH went like a wedding weekend,

RAH l - wedding
RAH ll - honeymoon escape
RAH lll - honeymoon brunch with mimosas and buffet feasting

PostPosted: Tue December 3rd, 2013, 17:21 GMT 

Pardon me all over if anyone else has commented on this, but I wonder if it occurred to Dylan that he closed those last four shows with either the final track from his last album or the opening track from his first self-penned album- with almost 50 years of songwriting separating them. Probably not.

PostPosted: Tue December 3rd, 2013, 18:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

Zeppelin Crumble wrote:
Pardon me all over if anyone else has commented on this, but I wonder if it occurred to Dylan that he closed those last four shows with either the final track from his last album or the opening track from his first self-penned album- with almost 50 years of songwriting separating them. Probably not.

I doubt he did Zep, but it's interesting is that his most recent track was the only choice he could have made that was more headily nostalgic than the album opener from 50 years ago.

PostPosted: Tue December 3rd, 2013, 20:03 GMT 

Zeppelin Crumble wrote:

I don't think anything on this tour was by accident. Serendipity may play its part, of course, but this was a heavily scripted show, with only the 2 Romes as the real ad-libs.

What should one make, for example, of those echoes of 1966 in the 2 sets separated by an encore, especially given this is the first year he was back at the Royal Albert Hall since that monumental tour?

Listening to the final night today, it struck me hard that the first set opens with an intro of acoustic strumming, and the second with electric. Coincidence? Hmm....

Gotta love also on the recording of that last show, just after 'High Water', a bloke shouts out "Play f*cking loud!". And the song that comes seconds later? 'Simple Twist Of Fate'.

Its these little details I love so much. The feast of fandom.

PostPosted: Tue December 3rd, 2013, 21:22 GMT 

Yes, those echoes from the past. What was it he said as they pulled away from the RAH in Don't Look Back? Something like "I feel as though I've been through..some kind of a thing". He could just as easily have been repeating himself, as he pulled away again, 48 years later.

PostPosted: Tue December 3rd, 2013, 22:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

Zeppelin Crumble wrote:

Interesting comment and I believe he's always aware of the importance of things like this. It goes with constructing a setlist for a continental tour, which probably involves concerns beyond 'what do I feel like playing?' He's certainly aware of himself as a historic figure and that would carry over into choices.

p.s. Nice catch. I didn't notice it until you pointed it out.

PostPosted: Wed December 4th, 2013, 07:57 GMT 

the_revelator wrote:
Zeppelin Crumble wrote:

Interesting comment and I believe he's always aware of the importance of things like this. It goes with constructing a setlist for a continental tour, which probably involves concerns beyond 'what do I feel like playing?' He's certainly aware of himself as a historic figure and that would carry over into choices.

p.s. Nice catch. I didn't notice it until you pointed it out.

Thanks, rev. Neither did I. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed December 4th, 2013, 09:08 GMT 
Promethium Member

Zeppelin Crumble wrote:

I figured he chose to do Roll On, John as the final encore because it would have been hard to follow a tribute like this with any other song, or any other mood. This is just my theory, of course - nice catch anyway.