Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat October 21st, 2017, 19:14 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon April 4th, 2005, 19:15 GMT 

:D
Sunday Night Chi-town

Well, I can honestly say that Bob was on his game from start to finish. Amos Lee is very talented and I would recommend that you arrive early to see him. Merle Haggard is a legend, not my cup of tea…but he has a tight band and played several two minute songs. So, know on with the show. Drifter’s opened the night with strong showing. Then, Senor…this was a killer version. The band was tight and sounded so good a got lost in the moment. The music was uplifting and took me to another place. This band allows you to here Bob vocals perfect. I have been following all of the reviews on this tour and for those who don’t like the new direction, you are missing the boat. Bob was front and center for several tunes and really into each song the band played. I enjoyed the new take on the Times they are a-changin’. Don’t think twice had a killer steel guitar lead and Elana is extremely talented violin player. She was driving the band (and Bob) to give 100% at this show. I really can’t say enough about her.
They played Shooting Star and the backdrop was intense…the curtain was lit-up a sharp crimson red with blue stars in the back. This was the hottest version I have ever hear of this song. The steel guitar was studio perfect and Bob hit this one straight to the heart. He played kind harp on this one as well. You ain’t goin’ nowhere was given’ a country flavor that brought new life to the song like never before. I also enjoyed tryin’ to get to heaven. Bob voice was crystal clear for every song and you could feel each word from his voice. Hard rain was nice set ender.
Encore:
I shall be released….thank you Jesus. I have waited a long time to hear this tune and it was sweet. Even the watchtower was given the treatment on Sunday night. All in all, pick-up a ticket for this show if it stops in your town because Bob is playing excellent and this new band gets two thumbs up from this brother.
ChicagoJoe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon April 4th, 2005, 20:22 GMT 

Since this was my frist Dylan show I thought it was really, really great. Donnie's steel solo on Highway 61 was really loud and came close to ear piercing. His band is really good. At times it's almost too much sound. But I think that works. I am thankful I got to see both Bob and Merle in the same night.

Bob looks like he's having a lot of fun. He was bouncing around and you could hear his keyboard every one in a while. He even took a solo on it and played harp a the same time. Only thing I'd add is a little more cowbell.

Did anyone notice everyone in the band, except Donnie and Elena (I couldn't see the drummers's face at all), all the the same facial hair? Kinda bizzare. You really notice it at the end when they all stand in a line in front of the drums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 5th, 2005, 23:09 GMT 

Rob wrote:
Since this was my frist Dylan show I thought it was really, really great.

consider yourself lucky (imo) My first Dylan concert was in 1978 and I was really disappointed. I enjoy the shows he's been doing since 1997 far better than any of the previous shows I've seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 5th, 2005, 23:13 GMT 

By the by -- thanks for the reviews. I wondered why there didnt seem to be any other than the wonderful thread titled "Favorite Moments of the Tour So Far?" You Chicago concert goers rock!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat April 9th, 2005, 21:30 GMT 

Hey,

I saw the show on sunday and it was great! Elana Fremerman was very good - she dyed her hair? How old is she, she looked real yong from 7th row :-D..

Otherwise, great show! Stars were great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue April 12th, 2005, 16:22 GMT 

I thought the Sunday show was eminently better than the Friday show. I didn't think the band really got going on Friday apart from a magnificent, gripping and haunting Mr Tambourine man. The highlight of Sunday's show for me was Senor. I first saw Dylan in 1978 after Street Legal had been released and I still have really fond memories of Earls Court shows and, particularly, the Blackbushe open-air show which was excellent.

I came over from UK for this show and enjoyed my time watching Dylan as well as my time at Buddy Guy's and Andy's Bar catching some lower profile but great music. I was made to think about Dylan's account of his rekindling enthusiasm for music as a result of him drifting into a jazz bar and seeing an old-timer play. I so much hope the entourage make their way to Europe later in the year - can't stand the jet lag again!